The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

24 Years old: QUIT six-figure Job, Launched two Businesses

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
I have said this story before but it is worth repeating. When @G_Alexander was 18 years old, he arranged to come to my house in Scottsdale. @biophase was there also. He had his dad drop him off to spend the evening at a stranger's house to talk business with a few experienced people that he only knew from the forum.

I know at the age of 18 that I would have been doing anything else but that.

It was impressive and I am very happy to have been able to follow along with his success.
@SteveO -- Thank you for the kind words my friend. I have said it before and I will say it again: I can't thank you enough for adding fuel to my fire at an important time in my life. You are an invaluable friend, mentor and example of a man I am privileged to be able to emulate on my path in life. Very thankful we crossed paths in the early days of this great forum.

SteveO has given MORE than enough information here to create a thousand future success stories. Anyone who hasn't read all of Steve's posts should do themselves a life favor and go read them all, now.

Last edited by a moderator:

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
Maybe it has changed but this is what he wrote earlier on the thread:

Thanks for being resourceful, @Fox, by going back and grabbing info from early pages. It's a small trait that most real Fastlaners possess!

My methods have changed. I aggressively worked on expanding my SEO knowledge and learning as much as I could about SEO in the modern age (after penguin/panda updates from Google). I made a few posts earlier about how it had helped me move up through the ranks organically. I also think I made a few posts about where to begin learning (SEOmoz, etc.)

I am now the firm #1 search result for multiple keywords that lead to my product. I get about $10,500 worth of free organic traffic each month. I spend about $50 on adwords just for kicks.

JohnZ123

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 23, 2014
I'm 19 years old and it's inspiring to see Alexander making some amazing progress. Congratulations!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JordanW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 2, 2016
Im inspired. I just went back and read from the beginning. Im 27 and work in finance and own a couple duplexes. Very relatable to me. 2016 is the year I start my fastlane venture (REI is slow at this point)

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
I have said this story before but it is worth repeating. When @G_Alexander was 18 years old, he arranged to come to my house in Scottsdale. @biophase was there also. He had his dad drop him off to spend the evening at a stranger's house to talk business with a few experienced people that he only knew from the forum.

It was impressive and I am very happy to have been able to follow along with his success.
I myself have met with a

I myself have met with a legendary contributor on this forum. Its true that they are very helpful people, and they will take as far as they can with knowledge. You have to put yourself out there to meet them and put in the work because they are not there to do it for you. I think people on this forum want some Fastlane guru to start the business for them and somehow they will finish it off with millions. I hate to break the news to you but this is a process from start to end. Some may find luck along the way and hit it big with millions and some may just get thousands but the fact is that you must put in work.

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
You don't understand because you have a limiting belief in yourself.

I don't understand why you think this? $400k in sales is $35k a month or basically $1100 a day. If you are selling $100 product, that's like 11 sales a day. If it's a $300 product, it's 3.5 sales a day.

I was shocked and nicely surprised when I saw the $400k number. It's a great number to hit!

If you think he had help, it was all from this forum. I do know Alex but I've talked to him ONE time this year about his business. The point is that you CAN do this yourself without much help. Don't just give yourself excuses as to why you can't.
Hey Bio, I have heard a lot about you from a mutual friend, don't want to say any names here. I just wanted to know what do you actually do for your own limiting beliefs?

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
Congratulations, Alex. And thank you so much for this thread. Rep transferred.

The one part of this that really stands out for me is that you launched all of this while working investment-banking hours. I'm in the process of launching something now while running an existing business.

So I'm doing all the work for my idea/launch during the outer edges of the day, early a.m. and late-late p.m, weekends...it can be overwhelming at times, and this thread is really a great reminder to me to just keep focused on the process, and not the overwhelm.

Armator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 8, 2015
Amazing!
First of all congrats on your success!
Second, thanks for the insight and the motivation. You are the proof, that setting goals and believing in yourself helps reaching outstanding results.

I have a question on your commercial model of your eCommerce biz, because I am not sure if I understand how you actually generate profits.
Maybe I got it wrong, but what I basically understood is that you sell products online via dropshipping. My questions are:
So are you actually in a partnership with your suppliers?
Are the products, that you sell also available online in other stores?

I just wonder why somebody would pay a 30% premium for ordering a product he could purchase cheaper offline.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
Little update for those who are still interested!

YTD_5.16.2016_zps6hezg20p.png

Well, that escalated quickly!

Surpassed last years sales already. Maintaining higher conversion rate. Hired GM for the eCommerce store in February. He is AWESOME! I've been able to get away from day-to-day to focus on growing the business. Launched an Amazon store for the eCommerce products for new sales channel:

YTD_AMZ_5.16.2016_zpsaq02juz1.png

...and a second website (which has done $4,100 since March so far, and sells similar products).

Adding the first site and Amazon together, I finally crossed the half a million in yearly sales threshold and it's only May 15th (and it feels like nothing at the pace we are moving)!

Outside of my online business, I've been focused on my B&M business (in which I have a partner, and in which we are grooming to be a franchise). It has one location so far, but we get asked if we are a franchise all the time by our customers (due to our attention to detail when building it). We will open several more locations as a chain first and then evaluate our options.

Onward and upward!

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
This is awesome, my friend. I read the thread once before, but will reread again.

I have so many friends who are in a similar situation. Stuck in a job they hate, but finally cracked the $100k mark working long hours only to put up with it because it's too 'hard' to leave job security.

paultz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Oct 6, 2014
Tanzania,East Africa
Little update for those who are still interested!

YTD_5.16.2016_zps6hezg20p.png

Well, that escalated quickly!

Surpassed last years sales already. Maintaining higher conversion rate. Hired GM for the eCommerce store in February. He is AWESOME! I've been able to get away from day-to-day to focus on growing the business. Launched an Amazon store for the eCommerce products for new sales channel:

YTD_AMZ_5.16.2016_zpsaq02juz1.png

...and a second website (which has done $4,100 since March so far, and sells similar products).

Adding the first site and Amazon together, I finally crossed the half a million in yearly sales threshold and it's only May 15th (and it feels like nothing at the pace we are moving)!

Outside of my online business, I've been focused on my B&M business (in which I have a partner, and in which we are grooming to be a franchise). It has one location so far, but we get asked if we are a franchise all the time by our customers (due to our attention to detail when building it). We will open several more locations as a chain first and then evaluate our options.

Onward and upward!

Congrats G_Alexander,it is really inspiring to young entrepreneurs.This thread is going to create more millionaires(those who will smell the secret code revealed here + ACTION)

Last edited:

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
Congrats G_Alexander,it is really inspiring to young entrepreneurs.This thread is going to create more millionaires(those who will smell the secret code revealed here + ACTION)
Wait what? I thought the secret code was ACTION? :eek::cigar:

Danyer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Mar 1, 2016
Philadelphia
This thread is simply amazing. You're definitely on your way to make over 1M this year, I can't wait to see that actually happen!

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Since I am starting a similar business soon I was doing some homework this morning. Using the data in this thread I have come up with some growth figures relating to orders, visitors and profit per day. I don't know how accurate these are (I range it from the 1st of Jan for every section, actual figures would be higher) but they give a great insight into the explosive growth of @G_Alexander business and what going fastlane truly looks like.

View attachment 12393

What I find really interesting is that conversion has flatted out while views per day is still growing rapidly. I think it will be over a $1000 a day in profit October (@20% profit margin - maybe its higher now!?).

Great stuff G_Alexander, really shows what is possible with lots of action and focus. I love this thread.

This is pure speculation. Just find some stuff and start selling it. That's the only "data" that will matter. Planning ahead is good, but projecting visitors per day and profit of a dream is just inaction.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
This is pure speculation. Just find some stuff and start selling it. That's the only "data" that will matter. Planning ahead is good, but projecting visitors per day and profit of a dream is just inaction.

@randomnumber314, actually, Fox was just using all the posts in this thread so far (from my business dashboard performance updates) to summarize the growth of my actual numbers (contained throughout this thread). His only "speculation" is what my total net profit margin is.

You are correct though in other cases, @randomnumber314, action is the best thing you can do (much more powerful than day-dreaming/ mental masturbation)!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This is awesome success, and I congratulate you.

I do warn you, though: this is a GOLD thread on the outside forum, where anyone can access.

You've given a lot of information here, especially on your sales numbers. This is dangerous, as some forum members have already experienced.

People are going to keep guessing your niche, your profit margins... if they find out, they might find who your supplier is. I do hope you have adequate protections as people on this forum (even unregistered users!) are a little bit more... trigger-happy than the general public.

I'm sure you'll be able to beat the copycats, but it's an unnecessary thorn in your side. If it gets out of hand, it might be worth asking to move this thread to the Inside.

A little paranoia never hurt anyone.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

As G_Alexander has mentioned its just using the date he has provided to show what his growth has been like. There is a lot of action faking in all walks of life though so I see why you would mention that.

In my case though I am taking action. Lots of action. Had a two hour meeting with my first major clients on Friday. We went over all their current problems (worse than I thought) and agreed on a percentage for solving the problem (better than I wanted). I have another meeting with head of the department soon and will be presenting a test website to show my solution. Its easily scalable (10-20 other clients in the next few months, huge need for my solution).

While excel exercises like what I did might seem like keyboard jockey stuff they hold several valuable lessons for me. I purposely study people who started small, with no funding and have been getting consistent growth. You'll notice that he didn't have much sales first few months and that figures were low across all areas. It gives me realistic expectations and a model for my own progress. I don't expect the same results but it shows what to look for. In a world of "I launched and first month made $90,000" this kind of info serves a purpose. And I am surprised its not on the inside too.

Also I originally really wanted to ask what the niche was when this thread first launched (whats the secret step damn it! lol) but I now know it doesn't even matter. I hope I never know until maybe we meet in person and I have made my millions. It would take away from what I am trying to do and probably just be distracting ("Apple stand" story that someone linked to on here recently). All I needed was the process breadcrumbs and a bit of real data. There is more than enough data in this thread to reproduce these results. Thanks again @G_Alexander

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
This is awesome success, and I congratulate you.

I do warn you, though: this is a GOLD thread on the outside forum, where anyone can access.

You've given a lot of information here, especially on your sales numbers. This is dangerous, as some forum members have already experienced.

People are going to keep guessing your niche, your profit margins... if they find out, they might find who your supplier is. I do hope you have adequate protections as people on this forum (even unregistered users!) are a little bit more... trigger-happy than the general public.

I'm sure you'll be able to beat the copycats, but it's an unnecessary thorn in your side. If it gets out of hand, it might be worth asking to move this thread to the Inside.

A little paranoia never hurt anyone.

You make a valid point, but I am not as worried as a TON of SEO went into my process.

That being said, I can probably (and would likely) share more information that could help others if this was in the protected part of the forum.

Mods @MJ DeMarco @Vigilante --- would one of you please move this into the INSIDERS forum?

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
@G_Alexander , @Fox I stand corrected, I thought the excel thing was one of those planning a millionaire empire in excel, without going outside. Good on you for taking action.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@G_Alexander , @Fox I stand corrected, I thought the excel thing was one of those planning a millionaire empire in excel, without going outside. Good on you for taking action.
No worries, lots of that goes on. My progress thread should be up within 1 -2 months. I want to start with a certain amount of work done (results had) instead of just posting an idea.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
Topic of the day: Growing vertically.

May 1, 2014. The day I launched my ecommerce business. 6 months of preparation leading up to the big day. Two days later... I had my first sale. That was over two years ago now, and looking back I can't believe how much has changed.

I have worked through dozens of considerations throughout this time:
  • Optimizing product offering (cutting the stuff that doesn't sell, adding in stuff I like or I see selling elsewhere) -- I CONSTANTLY monitor
  • Dropping suppliers (the ones who were slow or didn't offer the things I liked)
  • Picking up new suppliers (ones I didn't know about orginally or who thought I was too small when I first approached them)
  • Negotiating on my pricing with current suppliers as my volume increased
  • Monitoring search analytics within my own website (in the BigCommerce control panel)
    • Your customers search your website for what they want quite a bit (using the search box)... so don't neglect this. If you see lots of searches for a product in your niche that you don't carry... get it up there!
  • Bought a domain and built half an ecommerce website in a very similar niche (more on this later)
  • Bought a domain and launched a second website in my same niche
  • Considered manufacturing my own brand of products...and stagnated for a bit while honing in the growth of my store (which still has more room to go).
Back to what I said about the "half an ecommerce website":

One of my top 3 biggest suppliers (I spend the 3rd most with them... and I am the largest customer they have in my niche) offers 20% products related to my niche and 80% of their products in a similar niche that is MUCH larger -- which means it has much more competition. This larger niche has very solid competitor websites (top 2 or 3 on google are $30-50M+ a year in revenue with hundreds of employees). I knew I could get on the first page of this larger niche in 2-3 years, so I started building a second website in it.

Halfway through loading product for the new site (didn't mess with the design at all, thankfully)... I had a thought: Have I truly reached the full potential in my current niche? The answer was: no. So I stopped loading product for the bigger niche that instant and instead bought a domain for a second website in my own current niche.

You might be asking yourself, "Why would you double down in a smaller niche?". I am already the number one google result for the products I offer in my first cluster of keywords... so what is the play here? Well, I'll tell you. My customers have been asking for me to offer more product options (within my own niche) and so have my suppliers.

Imagine, if you will, that I sold "seat covers" for cars (which I don't)... I am DOMINATING seat covers, but many of my customers call and ask if I also sell air fresheners, floor mats and steering wheel covers (which all my suppliers carry) and I am happy to ring them up for. After enough of these phone calls, a light bulb turned on and I launched a second website for all these products. No new suppliers needed. Same LLC. Made perfect sense.

The reason I needed a second website was I didn't want to clutter up my first website with an overwhelming mixed bag of products, thus diluting my "expert" in the field approach. So we set up shop and are now on google page 2 for the second website/ keyword cluster (basically the same niche just another, bigger keyword set) and have done ~$20,000 in sales so far in 2016 on this new website.

The reason I bring up this story is that sometimes I think people want to grow horizontally (getting super wide and offering tons of products in different niches) -- when really, there are neglected subsections of each niche that could be dominated further. The best thing I can liken this to is to call it targeted "narrow-horizontal" growth. Staying close to your niche, but bolstering your offering (or simply "beefing up your offering"). Makes a lot of sense and utilizes the same platform you already have in place.

The next logical step for me now that I am "wide enough" is to grow up the stream (become a distibutor and, finally, a manufacturer) -- Just had a great business trip to meet with a supplier I do a lot of business with. His family owns a factory in China and he is now going to private label my brand (and even stock it for me since I do $x,xxx,xxx with them per year. Hoping to build a network of retailers we sell directly to.

Just wired $4,000 over to China two days ago. Samples will be here in November. More on that later. Very excited =D

Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Topic of the day: Growing vertically.

May 1, 2014. The day I launched my ecommerce business. 6 months of preparation leading up to the big day. Two days later... I had my first sale. That was over two years ago now, and looking back I can't believe how much has changed.

I have worked through dozens of considerations throughout this time:
  • Optimizing product offering (cutting the stuff that doesn't sell, adding in stuff I like or I see selling elsewhere) -- I CONSTANTLY monitor
  • Dropping suppliers (the ones who were slow or didn't offer the things I liked)
  • Picking up new suppliers (ones I didn't know about orginally or who thought I was too small when I first approached them)
  • Negotiating on my pricing with current suppliers as my volume increased
  • Monitoring search analytics within my own website (in the BigCommerce control panel)
    • Your customers search your website for what they want quite a bit (using the search box)... so don't neglect this. If you see lots of searches for a product in your niche that you don't carry... get it up there!
  • Bought a domain and built half an ecommerce website in a very similar niche (more on this later)
  • Bought a domain and launched a second website in my same niche
  • Considered manufacturing my own brand of products...and stagnated for a bit while honing in the growth of my store (which still has more room to go).
Back to what I said about the "half an ecommerce website":

One of my top 3 biggest suppliers (I spend the 3rd most with them... and I am the largest customer they have in my niche) offers 20% products related to my niche and 80% of their products in a similar niche that is MUCH larger -- which means it has much more competition. This larger niche has very solid competitor websites (top 2 or 3 on google are $30-50M+ a year in revenue with hundreds of employees). I knew I could get on the first page of this larger niche in 2-3 years, so I started building a second website in it.

Halfway through loading product for the new site (didn't mess with the design at all, thankfully)... I had a thought: Have I truly reached the full potential in my current niche? The answer was: no. So I stopped loading product for the bigger niche that instant and instead bought a domain for a second website in my own current niche.

You might be asking yourself, "Why would you double down in a smaller niche?". I am already the number one google result for the products I offer in my first cluster of keywords... so what is the play here? Well, I'll tell you. My customers have been asking for me to offer more product options (within my own niche) and so have my suppliers.

Imagine, if you will, that I sold "seat covers" for cars (which I don't)... I am DOMINATING seat covers, but many of my customers call and ask if I also sell air fresheners, floor mats and steering wheel covers (which all my suppliers carry) and I am happy to ring them up for. After enough of these phone calls, a light bulb turned on and I launched a second website for all these products. No new suppliers needed. Same LLC. Made perfect sense.

The reason I needed a second website was I didn't want to clutter up my first website with an overwhelming mixed bag of products, thus diluting my "expert" in the field approach. So we set up shop and are now on google page 2 for the second website/ keyword cluster (basically the same niche just another, bigger keyword set) and have done ~$20,000 in sales so far in 2016 on this new website.

The reason I bring up this story is that sometimes I think people want to grow horizontally (getting super wide and offering tons of products in different niches) -- when really, there are neglected subsections of each niche that could be dominated further. The best thing I can liken this to is to call it targeted "narrow-horizontal" growth. Staying close to your niche, but bolstering your offering (or simply "beefing up your offering"). Makes a lot of sense and utilizes the same platform you already have in place.

The next logical step for me now that I am "wide enough" is to grow up the stream (become a distibutor and, finally, a manufacturer) -- Just had a great business trip to meet with a supplier I do a lot of business with. His family owns a factory in China and he is now going to private label my brand (and even stock it for me since I do $x,xxx,xxx with them per year. Hoping to build a network of retailers we sell directly to.

Just wired $4,000 over to China two days ago. Samples will be here in November. More on that later. Very excited =D
Just read every post in this thread. Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing it.

I have a question, in your niche do you have any competitors selling the same products on eBay and Amazon at cheaper prices than your website?

I suppose the key to getting your products in front of the customer before they go on Amazon and eBay but I find in my niche every product I type into Google the search results are dominated by listings from these sites.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.