The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

23yo, Aus, education scam and goals from now

Silverhog

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 31, 2017
Australia
My story isn’t too interesting but here goes - it is LONG though!

Im 23 years old, currently living in Australia, and currently (regrettably) still in university.

Stumbled upon TMF and Unscripted after a night of sleeplessness, mixed with anxiety and frustration regarding my life’s past process and future trajectory. My exposure to TMF and Unscripted started with the google search titled “how to get rich” (LOL.. but i didn’t think i would get any REAL answers…turns out i was wrong). I surfed FLF for about 20 mins before i jumped in bought both books.

And heres a few chapters from my life:

Middle class family, my parents always worked hard to provide us with a home and food on the table.
Was pretty bright and inquisitive throughout school, developed many ‘talents’ in education and excelled in sports.

Ages 12-19: Sports Career
Started my sporting career in soccer when i was 12. Blossomed when i was 14. I started disciplined training more than 4-5 times per week which paid off when i was 15. Was scouted for trials in the UK for a few of the following teams, Chelsea, Everton, Blackpool, Nottingham and a few other big/smaller names. Unfortunately never got chosen but i kept playing. Kept getting better. Kept refining my skills. Got back to Aus and played semi professionally when was 16. Made the State team and played with them for 2 years until i had some injuries which put me out the state team. I still trained over 6 times a week during those last few years but my injuries kept me down. I had setbacks during my career, but none like the last years of my career. Theres more to it but eventually, that was the end for me

Ages 15-17: School
Played it safe, got good grades, rarely partied because i was an athlete. Regularly burnt out from both school and sporting efforts. Failing grades in my final years when my sporting career almost took off. Got into reading loads during my time in between: finance, real estate, Rich dad poor dad, property development, business and piqued my interest into self made millionaires.

Ages 17-20: Jobs
Wanted to be an engineer of sorts. Took an apprenticeship to get hands on experience in order to get into property (flipping/investing etc) as part of my long game. Got injured (different to above). Lost job (first taste of the slowlane), and spent months-year recovering from this injury. It was here that my life started taking a turn for the worse - i felt stuck between a rock and a hard place; Nearing 20, i had no qualifications, lost my job, stuck in recovering from an injury, no work experience. My aspirations of getting into real estate seemed dead, or on a pause for now. Ended up working shitty jobs from waitering, accounts, some other dead end manual labour, and ended up doing a little photography of sorts for some friends and family, and running errands a managing some AirBnB’d properties - i learnt some great skills here but i still had no plan and felt nailed against the wall.. and heres when i thought that i ‘had to go to uni’ to get a ‘good job’ so i could get into the real estate game. The education scam swelled.

Age 20 - 22/23:
Started a law degree (for the $, stupidly enough), after my parent’s nagging. I was pulled into the BS that i needed to go to uni to get a high paid job. Little did i know it takes more than 5+ years to get even an entry level job and the time intensive learning curve afterward to make +6 figures (employed). Lots of reading into entrepreneurship, felt i had made a big mistake - i learned that entrepreneurship and not just RE (as a business model) is a great way, although risky to blaze my own path and fulfil my dreams of becoming rich young. I couldn’t justify the loss of time studying until I’m 30 JUST to get a damn job.

I knew i wanted to be a business owner and entrepreneur as time went on. I dropped the law degree (much to my friends and family’s disappointment and all the ‘you’re throwing your life away’s’) and traded my units into a Business degree (my parents wanted me to finish my degree, much to my reluctance). I finish in about 1-1.5 years now. But even being here and before reading MJ’s books, i realised how much i hated Uni. i couldn’t see the point in some of these classes - i couldn’t understand how writing essays and reading outdated journals is going to make me successful in life (wtf). I didn’t even want to climb a corporate ladder afterwards… I read MJ’s book right about now and that was when i was convinced that Degree’s are more or less BS, depending on what you did. I wanted out of my degree but i felt in too deep to quit. I decided there and then, that I wanted to be a successful entrepreneur.

Now:
Just got to FLF and there is so much value here. I aim to get stuck in and learn as much as i can and help out wherever i can.
For now these are my circumstances:
  • still at uni full time (i hate it but I’m i know I’m playing a victim of the sunk cost fallacy)
  • Learnt HTML, CSS over the last few months or so out of curiosity
  • Recently dropped all my s****y friends (wasting my time, energy drain)
  • flip a few items for some cash
  • casual job in engineering
  • Reading around 2-3 books per month on top of uni (sales, marketing, copy)
  • exploring some business ideas
  • exercising everyday, also working on my mindset
Some plans for the future:
  • learn a skill, and sell it (to gain exp) (realised I’ve got some fear in cold calling so i want to kill that)
  • thinking about some ecommerce ideas, I’m aware Amazon is coming to Aus soon, but overwhelmed with time constraints and the whole “starting” thing.

Thats it for now. Anyone, feel free to question, comment, or pm me - id like to help, connect, talk, whatever.

Thanks for reading, i realise that was LONG.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.