The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

22 Years Old: First Apartment Building Acquisition Done

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
@G_alexander

Phenomenal progress. Congratulations!

Was wondering how you financed the reno. Was this cash you saved up over a period of time? PL? HM? Friends/family?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
@G_alexander

Phenomenal progress. Congratulations!

Was wondering how you financed the reno. Was this cash you saved up over a period of time? PL? HM? Friends/family?

Thanks, T14.

I used cash from work throughout the construction; while keeping my savings from prior deals in-tact and adding any extra cash earned right back into my fastlane pool of capital for my next set of deals / other projects. I took a look at the financing alternatives for the renovation, but ultimately decided to go with cash due to the fact that I planned to exit the property in approximately 1 - 2 years. I am now torn between selling and holding the property because the interest rates were so low when I purchased. I am locked in at 3.25% which in my eyes is free money. Cash flow is strong and tax benefits are good...I will likely refinance soon, but interest rates have crept up approximately a full point to 4.3% recently. Still, tapping the equity to purchase more properties has always been the goal. I am seeking additional apartment investments and a large scale mobile home investment plan.

Just need to keep my leverage at "sane" levels going forward; have learned first-hand from watching many investors in the past how too much leverage can destroy your empire.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Thanks, T14.

I used cash from work throughout the construction; while keeping my savings from prior deals in-tact and adding any extra cash earned right back into my fastlane pool of capital for my next set of deals / other projects. I took a look at the financing alternatives for the renovation, but ultimately decided to go with cash due to the fact that I planned to exit the property in approximately 1 - 2 years. I am now torn between selling and holding the property because the interest rates were so low when I purchased. I am locked in at 3.25% which in my eyes is free money. Cash flow is strong and tax benefits are good...I will likely refinance soon, but interest rates have crept up approximately a full point to 4.3% recently. Still, tapping the equity to purchase more properties has always been the goal. I am seeking additional apartment investments and a large scale mobile home investment plan.

Just need to keep my leverage at "sane" levels going forward; have learned first-hand from watching many investors in the past how too much leverage can destroy your empire.

Great thread! Thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, what would you consider to be "sane" levels? 50% of equity? 75% of equity? Something else?

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
Great thread! Thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, what would you consider to be "sane" levels? 50% of equity? 75% of equity? Something else?

The short answer is: It depends.

When making an acquisition I would prefer to use as much leverage as possible up front (and buy the property as far under-market price as possible) then stabilize the operations to create a large equity position. Leverage amplifies returns and as much should be used as possible / sensible in each property acquisition scenario. How much leverage you can or should use will depend on the operations or potential operations of the property, the financing available and how long you intend to hold the asset.

If a property has solid margins and strong cash flow potential I am better off levering up to 90% LTV (10% down) with a combination of traditional and seller financing if available. Once the property is stabilized and your equity position has increased, it is time to refinance to pull cash out or sell.

It is when you get into a HOLD scenario that is important to consider leverage, i.e. the part where it is important to be "sane". If you decide to refinance your building the banks will only let you tap so much of your equity value to keep themselves protected. If you pull out every dime allowable by the bank (probably 70-80% LTV) it makes sense if you will be purchasing additional properties which can help contribute cash flow to your cause.

A smart investor will use the cash they pull out in a refinancing for additional cash-generating property / investments to create more cash flow, control more assets and have the ability to service more debt.

An unwise investor will use the cash to buy themselves fun things, thus "debt fudning" their dreams. In the second scenario, when the roof goes bad on one of your properties and you can't get a loan to repair it due to your over-levered position, you are shit-outta-luck and can kiss your dreams goodbye.

I want to avoid the latter scenario!

I am happy to talk about any financing questions, if you have any others feel free to shoot me a PM.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
I read most of your threads today and F*CKING WOW, you are one real action taker it is amazing reading all the things you are doing/did on such a young age.
Rep ++

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
Thank you for the inspiration friend.
One step forward you take for yourself, helps us take further steps forward as well.
Great job leading by example. God bless.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
Well done! I wish I'd bought an income property first. When I bought my first house I was married and all decisions were joint decisions, and her needs and wants all weighed heavily in my heart and mind. We did ok with our first house but a multi would have been a better move. We were also a little older than you at the time. I was 28 when I bought first house. At 20 I was spending my time and money on beer and weed. Seriously underperforming assets right there. I hope my son spends his young adulthood more like you did than like I did.

Anyway, good job. I'm going to go back and read your other threads. (Put "deals on wheels" on my kindle while I was reading this one)

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
Hey guys! Saw a couple notifications that this thread had gotten bumped. I wish you all a wonderful 2017 of hustling hard. Go out and GET IT!

I'm on a flight to China while writing this (on United Airlines wifi). This property appraised at $450,000 in September 2016 and I only owe $186,000. I took out a $100,000 HELOC on it which I'm investing into more brick and mortar business deals. Have tons of updates on my two businesses (eCommerce biz has grown 4x this past year, now hiring another employee... and my brick and mortar biz is opening our second and third locations this year). Lots to be thankful for and to look forward to in 2017.

Much love!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread marked GOLD ... this thread started before we began using GOLD and NOTABLE tags, it just slipped by!

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys! Saw a couple notifications that this thread had gotten bumped. I wish you all a wonderful 2017 of hustling hard. Go out and GET IT!

I'm on a flight to China while writing this (on United Airlines wifi). This property appraised at $450,000 in September 2016 and I only owe $186,000. I took out a $100,000 HELOC on it which I'm investing into more brick and mortar business deals. Have tons of updates on my two businesses (eCommerce biz has grown 4x this past year, now hiring another employee... and my brick and mortar biz is opening our second and third locations this year). Lots to be thankful for and to look forward to in 2017.

Much love!

No wonder you didnt reply to my text message lol, looking forward an update on your business ventures !

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Just found this thread. Incredible how well you've done. Definitely gives me a bit more motivation to look into RE.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
I thought you weren't allowed to use FHA financing to purchase investment properties.

If i can get an investment property with 3.5% down then I've been doing something wrong.

Edit: nm I didn't read the OP well enough to notice he said he was occupying one of the units

Last edited:

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Average starting salary for fresh out of college investment bankers in major metropolitan areas like Chicago/NYC will be over 100k.

Salaries in Investment Banking

Sorry I didn't know the background - did he start at 21 and do a full year as an I-banker? I know you usually need a full year of work income.

Reason I ask is because I'm 23, just graduated college 7 months ago, so this tax year I only reported like 25K - no way I will get approval for an FHA loan on a 200K + property.

If I work for this full year, I should have that number closer to 80-100K depending on a few opportunities in front of me right now in SAAS sales.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Credit history, assets, income. If you have a 795 credit score, paid off school loans, s new-ish car, and a $100,000/yr salary, they won't even blink to approve you for $200,000. You could probably get one for $500,000 or $600,000 with stats like that.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
How do you get approved on a 200K+ mortgage at 22?

I got approved for 185k when I was 20 making 30k/year with a 720 credit score - FHA allows lower income people to purchase a residential property when they have lower means. There is more red tape, you have extra insurance to pay because its a government backed loan but it gets your foot in the door with real estate!

I thought you weren't allowed to use FHA financing to purchase investment properties.

If i can get an investment property with 3.5% down then I've been doing something wrong.

Edit: nm I didn't read the OP well enough to notice he said he was occupying one of the units

FHA is owner occupied but residential includes 2-4 units. So you buy the property, live in it for a year, repeat, and rent out the property.

Credit history, assets, income. If you have a 795 credit score, paid off school loans, s new-ish car, and a $100,000/yr salary, they won't even blink to approve you for $200,000. You could probably get one for $500,000 or $600,000 with stats like that.

This. With a six figure income, low/no debt and good credit you can really create some great opportunities for yourself.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Sorry I didn't know the background - did he start at 21 and do a full year as an I-banker? I know you usually need a full year of work income.

Reason I ask is because I'm 23, just graduated college 7 months ago, so this tax year I only reported like 25K - no way I will get approval for an FHA loan on a 200K + property.

If I work for this full year, I should have that number closer to 80-100K depending on a few opportunities in front of me right now in SAAS sales.

You might be able to get by on 25k/year but it depends on your expenses. What they look at is your debt to income ratio when seeing if you can get pre approved. You will need 2 years of consistent income and good credit.

You'd probably get approved for $130-160k at 25k/year keep in mind you're extremely leveraged, have hardly any equity, and are in a risky spot but it gets your foot in the door with low money down.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
You might be able to get by on 25k/year but it depends on your expenses. What they look at is your debt to income ratio when seeing if you can get pre approved. You will need 2 years of consistent income and good credit.

You'd probably get approved for $130-160k at 25k/year keep in mind you're extremely leveraged, have hardly any equity, and are in a risky spot but it gets your foot in the door with low money down.

If i'm doing between 60-100K reported income and have 40K student loan debt, what do you guess I could get approved for?

The 25K reflected an entry level salary + commission for half the year (was in school the other half) which will nearly double shortly (couple things actively in the works)

My credit is 750

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
If i'm doing between 60-100K reported income and have 40K student loan debt, what do you guess I could get approved for?

The 25K reflected an entry level salary + commission for half the year (was in school the other half) which will nearly double shortly (couple things actively in the works)

My credit is 750

To be approved for a conventional Fannie/Freddie loan your back end ratio needs to be less than 45%.

Meaning all of your monthly debt payments including your mortgage payment cannot exceed 45% of your gross income. So take your gross monthly income, if we say 75k/yr that would be 6250/mo. Then multiply by 0.45, we get 2812. Subtract all of your existing monthly debt payments from this amount. The remaining number is the maximum housing payment you can expect to be approved for (consider mortgage + taxes + insurance in this number). Then you can use standard mortgage calculators to determine what purchase price you can be approved for based on interest rate, down payment amount, and that monthly payment.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
To be approved for a conventional Fannie/Freddie loan your back end ratio needs to be less than 45%.

Meaning all of your monthly debt payments including your mortgage payment cannot exceed 45% of your gross income. So take your gross monthly income, if we say 75k/yr that would be 6250/mo. Then multiply by 0.45, we get 2812. Subtract all of your existing monthly debt payments from this amount. The remaining number is the maximum housing payment you can expect to be approved for (consider mortgage + taxes + insurance in this number). Then you can use standard mortgage calculators to determine what purchase price you can be approved for based on interest rate, down payment amount, and that monthly payment.

Im not an underwriter but I believe this explanation is pretty dang good for getting a feeling for what you're looking at. Id recommend finding a good loan officer and seeing what he can workout. I got mine up to 49%.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Please SEARCH before posting.