The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

21 years old, huge ambition, Toronto-PHX

DanVasiljevs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Mar 31, 2017
The Interstate
Hey!

I'm Dan, a 21 year old guy from a suburb north of Toronto, Canada and I'm moving to Phoenix, AZ later this year in October 2017.

The Fastlane Millionaire was one of those books that changed my life completely. I had read it back in September, and I'm re-reading it a second time now because the coming months will be life changing for me and I need to have the information engrained in my mind.

I'm a die-hard entrepreneur at heart.

My situation now: I'm finishing the Canadian equivalent of community college in welding inspection, a highly-paid slowlane skilled trade in just 2 weeks which is now my backup trade if I'm ever broke. Specifically, it's called NDT, and its 6-figure pay with 5 years of experience in Canada at least. At 18, I had gone to University and went to both community college studying welding inspection & university in finance at the same time. I was literally at school for 60 hours a week. After getting hired as an analyst at Scotiabank in December 2016 part-time to work weekends and some weekday nights, meanwhile attending 2 schools, I couldn't stand it and I realized NOW is the time I need to pursue my F*cking dreams. I saw what went on at work, how people's lives and dreams got eaten up by the fake promise of status and a miserable 9-5 paycheck and I vowed to myself I'd never go down that path.

I don't know why I kept going with University while being in college, even though I knew the trade would at least be better & higher paid than the bank job. Anyway, I'm dropping out of uni as I've got my skilled trade diploma now as my backup plan in case anything goes wrong.

Currently, I am running a social media marketing company which is going great as well as an Amazon business, which is set to launch on Monday with the 1st product. I previously ran a Window Cleaning business last summer which was incredible - it gave me the money and the time to go on the roadtrip of my dreams out to West Coast USA last August.

I absolutely hate Toronto, I'm tired of the horrible weather (extremely cold & dark in the winter and humid as hell in the summer for 4 months). I'm tired of how pissed off everyone looks all the time because of how shitty the city they live in is, and how deep they're stuck in the rat race. Literally everyone hates their lives here because they're all enslaved to their 900k+ mortgage they have on their house, thinking the Toronto real estate boom will keep booming and their tiny cardboard box will be worth 2 million in 5 years.

However, I absolutely love the United States - specifically the West. I've gone on many roadtrips down to Florida which was awesome, and I did a 1-month long solo roadtrip out to the American West Coast in August 2016 which was absolutely LIFE-CHANGING. Utah, Northern Arizona, California, Oregon, Nevada... all these places fascinate me. Love the outdoors, I slept in a tent that whole roadtrip. That roadtrip literally changed my life - sleeping in a tent on the top of North Dome in Yosemite alone on a cold August monday night, I had the epiphany - the realization that my life back home in Toronto is all a lie, and so is everyone elses. I decided that evening on top of North Dome overlooking Yosemite Valley that I would try my hardest to fight for my dreams and get the F*ck out of Toronto.

Anyway, I'm 21, and it's about time to move out of my parents house. I decided I'm moving to Phoenix - perfect place for me. I can live cheaply while I'm building up my businesses there and I can enjoy life, the warm weather and the sunshine with all the hiking and outdoors so close to the city. I'm gonna try to get clients and grow the marketing business, as well as keep the Amazon going. I've got a Youtube channel with 50k subscribers as well which I'm planning on posting vlogs on starting this summer of moving out my parents house and living the dream of driving down and moving to Southwestern USA.

I'm huge on entrepreneurship, the outdoors, and fitness. Would love to meet like-minded people on this forum, who also want to live an epic life and live their dreams. A few of you are probably from around Phoenix too, would be awesome to meet you guys.

BTW - MJ, you changed my life. You brought huge hope in a 21 year old kid's dreams. Infinite respect and appreciation for you & this forum.

@MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Hey!

I'm Dan, a 21 year old guy from a suburb north of Toronto, Canada and I'm moving to Phoenix, AZ later this year in October 2017.

I'm Blake, a 24 year old guy from a suburb north of Toronto, Canada (although right now I live in the woods in Parry sound area). Sup! Are you in the GTA or farther north?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Epic intro man! I thought I was reading my own story back when I was in my 20's.

Congrats on the big decision to move. I have no doubt you will succeed -- your story is littered with ACTION. That's gonna pay dividends eventually.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Nice intro. You've got a serious work ethic, which will serve you well.

Once you focus on what you REALLY want to be doing, you'll be successful beyond what you think is possible, no doubt in my mind.

We Toronto guys tend to be everywhere. I love the city, but you're right about why most people hate it. People with paid off houses want to get out but can't find a suitable place to go without spending most of the money they net, while still being able to commute to work. People who are still paying off their houses are exposed to a ton of interest rate risk. And then there's the majority of us who don't own and, with the market being the way it is, the typical Slowlaner coming up at age 25-30 will never be able to buy in Toronto or even the GTA.

As far as living in the US, I highly recommend doing the 'no visa' route. Spend 179 days in Phoenix (winter), then spend the other 181 wherever else. Applying for a visa in the US is next to impossible. If you have citizenship or PR, you should be good.

Good luck.

DanVasiljevs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Mar 31, 2017
The Interstate
Hey!

I joined today same as you and I need to say that your story is inspiring and I hope my will go as good as yours. I want to also say that you badly used "@MJ DeMarco" tag and that you should have written @MJ DeMarco.

It will, all you gotta do is believe in yourself. Thanks for fixing the tag buddy, I was wondering why it wasn't working lol

I'm Blake, a 24 year old guy from a suburb north of Toronto, Canada (although right now I live in the woods in Parry sound area). Sup! Are you in the GTA or farther north?

I'm up in Vaughan! Parry Sound is a nice area, spent a lot of drunk weekends up in Killbear past few summers ahaha... great times

Epic intro man! I thought I was reading my own story back when I was in my 20's.

Congrats on the big decision to move. I have no doubt you will succeed -- your story is littered with ACTION. That's gonna pay dividends eventually.

Thanks MJ. You're a huge inspiration. Maybe we'll run into each other in PHX sometime, would be awesome.

Are you planning to apply for some sort of visa?

Nope, I'm gonna go the no-visa way which allows me to stay for 'tourist' purposes up to 6 months.

Nice intro. You've got a serious work ethic, which will serve you well.

Once you focus on what you REALLY want to be doing, you'll be successful beyond what you think is possible, no doubt in my mind.

We Toronto guys tend to be everywhere. I love the city, but you're right about why most people hate it. People with paid off houses want to get out but can't find a suitable place to go without spending most of the money they net, while still being able to commute to work. People who are still paying off their houses are exposed to a ton of interest rate risk. And then there's the majority of us who don't own and, with the market being the way it is, the typical Slowlaner coming up at age 25-30 will never be able to buy in Toronto or even the GTA.

As far as living in the US, I highly recommend doing the 'no visa' route. Spend 179 days in Phoenix (winter), then spend the other 181 wherever else. Applying for a visa in the US is next to impossible. If you have citizenship or PR, you should be good.

Good luck.

Absolutely man, I can't F*cking wait for what's ahead.

Good thing you brought the visa thing up - I'm planning on doing exactly that. Gonna stay there for 6 months then go somewhere else. Maybe i'll try to get dual citizenship eventually because I love the US, but for now this'll do.

A

Anon1351z

Good thing you brought the visa thing up - I'm planning on doing exactly that. Gonna stay there for 6 months then go somewhere else. Maybe i'll try to get dual citizenship eventually because I love the US, but for now this'll do.

Nice! I'm asking because it's been something I'm mulling over in the back of my mind. I spoke to an immigration lawyer a while back and he recommended an E2 visa, essentially the "startup" visa. He said he had seen people be accepted with as little as $25K of investment in a new business. That may be something to look into later on.

The Phoenix area has so many amazing people to connect with, on and off the forum. I was there in January and cold-called a successful entrepreneur in my niche (Sold his company for >$25M) from the airport, asking if he'd be available to meet. We met for lunch and he gave me invaluable advice, sent me his original projections and varying documents from his company, offered to make some introductions, and gave me his cell number in case I ever need anything. Crazy stuff.

Be sure to make the best of being out there and good luck with the move!

DanVasiljevs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Mar 31, 2017
The Interstate
Nice! I'm asking because it's been something I'm mulling over in the back of my mind. I spoke to an immigration lawyer a while back and he recommended an E2 visa, essentially the "startup" visa. He said he had seen people be accepted with as little as $25K of investment in a new business. That may be something to look into later on.

The Phoenix area has so many amazing people to connect with, on and off the forum. I was there in January and cold-called a successful entrepreneur in my niche (Sold his company for >$25M) from the airport, asking if he'd be available to meet. We met for lunch and he gave me invaluable advice, sent me his original projections and varying documents from his company, offered to make some introductions, and gave me his cell number in case I ever need anything. Crazy stuff.

Be sure to make the best of being out there and good luck with the move!

That's incredible. The E2 visa sounds like a good option in the future, especially with only a 25k investment. For now I'll have to get out every 6 months though which is still terrific.

People in general are good. I'll definitely reach out to successful social media entrepreneurs down in Phoenix.

BTW - how'd you like Phoenix? The closest I've been was Northern Arizona last August which was F*cking incredible, near Monument Valley.

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
Welcome to the forum Dan. Im in Toronto as well, specifically Richmond Hill and i completely get why you want to get out. I, like you, cannot stand the cold weather here. Months of October through April get me so depressed.

Whats your YouTube channel about?

A

Anon1351z

BTW - how'd you like Phoenix? The closest I've been was Northern Arizona last August which was F*cking incredible, near Monument Valley.

I mainly spent time in Scottsdale, a really nice suburb of Phoenix that I think(?) happens to have the highest concentration of forum members in the area. I really enjoy it but I've only ever gone for vacation, never really more than a few weeks or with a concerted effort to work from there.

I met @Jamie T and @Captain Jack who are both younger guys that moved down there, they or one of the other guys in that area can probably give you a pretty good depiction of what it would be like to move there.

You should also take a look at this thread: Notable! - Has Moving to a Warm and Sunny Climate Made You Happier?

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I absolutely hate Toronto, I'm tired of the horrible weather (extremely cold & dark in the winter and humid as hell in the summer for 4 months). I'm tired of how pissed off everyone looks all the time because of how shitty the city they live in is, and how deep they're stuck in the rat race.
Yeah man, I know how that feels.

I moved from the other side of Lake Ontario in New York. Same kind of weather, etc.

October is a good time to move out here. I came out here last September and avoided the heat. This is going to be my first summer here and I'm not quite sure what to expect yet.

Overall, I love it out here and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

If you have any specific questions or anything, I'd be happy to help.

I'm not sure when I'll be up in NY next, but if I head that way, I always try to attend the Toronto meetups. Try to attend one of those if you can.

I look forward to meeting you. Welcome to the forum!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hey another Canadian :)

I'm from Ottawa but head up to Toronto here and there. I really love that city but mostly because it's not Ottawa, haha (Ottawa is the definition of a boring government town...).

Yeah I looked into the US citizenship thing a while back as well. It's really, really hard to get permanent residency there but the 6 month deal is pretty sweet all things considered.

Cool story and welcome to the forum!

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Entrepreneurs love sunny states - I wonder why that is? It's always Florida, California, Arizona, Texas.... Pretty cool though.

DanVasiljevs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Mar 31, 2017
The Interstate
Yeah man, I know how that feels.

I moved from the other side of Lake Ontario in New York. Same kind of weather, etc.

October is a good time to move out here. I came out here last September and avoided the heat. This is going to be my first summer here and I'm not quite sure what to expect yet.

Overall, I love it out here and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

If you have any specific questions or anything, I'd be happy to help.

I'm not sure when I'll be up in NY next, but if I head that way, I always try to attend the Toronto meetups. Try to attend one of those if you can.

I look forward to meeting you. Welcome to the forum!

Awesome, I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. Would be awesome to meet you and the others down in PHX when I'm there.

I'm roadtripping across the US and Canada again from August 15-September 15 this year, then ill come back to Toronto for a month to pack my things and finally make the move in October.

Entrepreneurs love sunny states - I wonder why that is? It's always Florida, California, Arizona, Texas.... Pretty cool though.

Yeah man, how can you not be super productive and happy with life when the sun is shining every day???

And not having to worry about snow storms and winter driving!!! I can't wait WOW

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Nice intro!

I definitely relate to the weather issue, too. There's a whole thread on the forum dedicated to answering the question "has moving to a sunnier climate made you happier?" It seems like the answer tends to be yes...

I'm two hours north of Toronto and have a landscaping business. This past winter I decided to tackle snow removal, which was horrendous and forced me to deal with my hatred for winter head on. Next winter I'll be somewhere else... so I'll keep an eye on this thread for some ideas!

Good luck with your move Dan! That will be an epic road trip :)

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey!

The Fastlane Millionaire was one of those books that changed my life completely. I had read it back in September, and I'm re-reading it a second time now because the coming months will be life changing for me and I need to have the information engrained in my mind.

My situation now: I'm finishing the Canadian equivalent of community college in welding inspection, a highly-paid slowlane skilled trade in just 2 weeks which is now my backup trade if I'm ever broke. Specifically, it's called NDT, and its 6-figure pay with 5 years of experience in Canada at least. At 18, I had gone to University and went to both community college studying welding inspection & university in finance at the same time. I was literally at school for 60 hours a week. After getting hired as an analyst at Scotiabank in December 2016 part-time to work weekends and some weekday nights, meanwhile attending 2 schools, I couldn't stand it and I realized NOW is the time I need to pursue my F*cking dreams. I saw what went on at work, how people's lives and dreams got eaten up by the fake promise of status and a miserable 9-5 paycheck and I vowed to myself I'd never go down that path.

I don't know why I kept going with University while being in college, even though I knew the trade would at least be better & higher paid than the bank job. Anyway, I'm dropping out of uni as I've got my skilled trade diploma now as my backup plan in case anything goes wrong.

Currently, I am running a social media marketing company which is going great as well as an Amazon business, which is set to launch on Monday with the 1st product. I previously ran a Window Cleaning business last summer which was incredible - it gave me the money and the time to go on the roadtrip of my dreams out to West Coast USA last August.

I absolutely hate Toronto, I'm tired of the horrible weather (extremely cold & dark in the winter and humid as hell in the summer for 4 months). I'm tired of how pissed off everyone looks all the time because of how shitty the city they live in is, and how deep they're stuck in the rat race. Literally everyone hates their lives here because they're all enslaved to their 900k+ mortgage they have on their house, thinking the Toronto real estate boom will keep booming and their tiny cardboard box will be worth 2 million in 5 years.

However, I absolutely love the United States - specifically the West. I've gone on many roadtrips down to Florida which was awesome, and I did a 1-month long solo roadtrip out to the American West Coast in August 2016 which was absolutely LIFE-CHANGING. Utah, Northern Arizona, California, Oregon, Nevada... all these places fascinate me. Love the outdoors, I slept in a tent that whole roadtrip. That roadtrip literally changed my life - sleeping in a tent on the top of North Dome in Yosemite alone on a cold August monday night, I had the epiphany - the realization that my life back home in Toronto is all a lie, and so is everyone elses. I decided that evening on top of North Dome overlooking Yosemite Valley that I would try my hardest to fight for my dreams and get the F*ck out of Toronto.

Anyway, I'm 21, and it's about time to move out of my parents house. I decided I'm moving to Phoenix - perfect place for me. I can live cheaply while I'm building up my businesses there and I can enjoy life, the warm weather and the sunshine with all the hiking and outdoors so close to the city. I'm gonna try to get clients and grow the marketing business, as well as keep the Amazon going. I've got a Youtube channel with 50k subscribers as well which I'm planning on posting vlogs on starting this summer of moving out my parents house and living the dream of driving down and moving to Southwestern USA.

I'm huge on entrepreneurship, the outdoors, and fitness. Would love to meet like-minded people on this forum, who also want to live an epic life and live their dreams. A few of you are probably from around Phoenix too, would be awesome to meet you guys.

BTW - MJ, you changed my life. You brought huge hope in a 21 year old kid's dreams. Infinite respect and appreciation for you & this forum.

@MJ DeMarco

What's up man nice intro!

I can relate as I moved to Scottsdale AZ from Seattle two years back, had to get out of the rain and the prices in Seattle are rediculous. You will love AZ great cheap place to live. If you can swing it try to find an apartment in Arcadia/PHX along the camelback corridor. Cool hip area with younger people, coffee shops and bars and a few coworking spaces like Cohoots.

Shoot me a message when you get in town would love to grab a beer and chat!

DanVasiljevs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Mar 31, 2017
The Interstate
Nice intro!

I definitely relate to the weather issue, too. There's a whole thread on the forum dedicated to answering the question "has moving to a sunnier climate made you happier?" It seems like the answer tends to be yes...

I'm two hours north of Toronto and have a landscaping business. This past winter I decided to tackle snow removal, which was horrendous and forced me to deal with my hatred for winter head on. Next winter I'll be somewhere else... so I'll keep an eye on this thread for some ideas!

Good luck with your move Dan! That will be an epic road trip :)

Haha Collingwood!! Man I love that place. I was there last summer for a bit doing window cleaning in Mair Mills and Georgian Meadows, slept in my buddy's basement who lives there. Great times.

Yeah I even thought about doing snow removal last year to keep the home services business going... but I calculated and figured right away it wouldn't be worth it all and would just be a huge hassle.

Come down to PHX with me buddy would be sick ahaha

What's up man nice intro!

I can relate as I moved to Scottsdale AZ from Seattle two years back, had to get out of the rain and the prices in Seattle are rediculous. You will love AZ great cheap place to live. If you can swing it try to find an apartment in Arcadia/PHX along the camelback corridor. Cool hip area with younger people, coffee shops and bars and a few coworking spaces like Cohoots.

Shoot me a message when you get in town would love to grab a beer and chat!

Can't wait! Will definitely shoot you a message when I'm in town.

I was just thinking about which parts of PHX I should look at, I'll start looking at Arcadia. Sounds like a nice place.

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto

I'm also in a suburb of Toronto. 22M here!

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I was just thinking about which parts of PHX I should look at, I'll start looking at Arcadia.
I personally like the Biltmore area and North Scottsdale.

Arcadia area is nice too.

Lived in Biltmore since I got here. I'm about to move up to North Phoenix this week (right next to North Scottsdale, but still technically Phoenix lol).

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
All of us Torontionians feel your pain and I think most of us want to get out of here and move somewhere warmer lol! I hope all goes well. You sound exactly like me except much younger in that intro post :p
I myself would love to end up in Florida some time soon, but I have a lot to deal with before exiting and taking off for several months of the year.
Best of luck, and report back. Come join our meetups when you're in town, we usually hold them 2-3 times a year.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Haha Collingwood!! Man I love that place. I was there last summer for a bit doing window cleaning in Mair Mills and Georgian Meadows, slept in my buddy's basement who lives there. Great times.

Yeah I even thought about doing snow removal last year to keep the home services business going... but I calculated and figured right away it wouldn't be worth it all and would just be a huge hassle.

Come down to PHX with me buddy would be sick ahaha

I've got some buddies that did snow removal in the city and made a good profit, but up North a bit it doesn't seem to be worthwhile...

Also got into a coast to coast road trip a couple years back, its been too long since a good road trip!

Let me know if you want to grab a coffee downtown sometime :)

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
One of the best intros I've read on here! Great to see another action taker on here.

Welcome to the forum :)

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
So much resemblance to me a few years back.

I'm also in Vaughan, Toronto so I know those feels.
I also tried going to Phoenix.
Also run a marketing agency.

Hit me up let's chat :)

@DanVasiljevs

DanVasiljevs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Mar 31, 2017
The Interstate
So much resemblance to me a few years back.

I'm also in Vaughan, Toronto so I know those feels.
I also tried going to Phoenix.
Also run a marketing agency.

Hit me up let's chat :)

@DanVasiljevs
That's awesome, back in Toronto now eh? Ahaha how was PHX

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

SwissTuxedo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2016
Hey!

@MJ DeMarco

Welcome to the Forum !

I grew up in Switzerland so I understand why you want to get out of Toronto.

I really do believe that in the long run, the weather has an impact on people's moods.

I first moved to Tempe, Arizona to go to Arizona State University in 2010.

Best decision of my life, I love Arizona.

I moved back to Switzerland in September of 2014 to work for my uncle as a coffee salesman. This was just a few months before the cold harsh Winter.

I could not believe how much of an impact the weather had on my mood.

I went from living in beautiful Tempe, AZ where's its sunny every day to moving back to Geneva, Switzerland right before the winter started.

About two months after I moved back to Switzerland I started getting depressed. I noticed I had less energy than usual, it was harder for me to wake up in the morning and I felt less motivated than when I lived in Arizona.

So I eventually moved back to Scottsdale, AZ in 2015.

It's my understanding that when you live in a country that has long winters, the days are shorter, therefore you receive less sunlight and this in turn affects your mood.

Your brain produces less Serotonin and you also receive much less Vitamin D from the Sun.

Low serotonin and Vitamin D are both linked to depression.

In fact many people that live in countries that receive little to no sunlight during the winter ( Scotland, Switzerland, Canada) suffer from SAD ( Seasonal Affective Disorder). You feel like shit, you have less energy, its harder to wake up early in the morning....

So yeah, don't mean to go on a tangent but moving to Arizona is a smart move in my opinion. You're going to love it.

Do you have any idea of Where in Arizona you want to live? Scottsdale ? Phoenix ? Mesa ?

Lots of places to choose from.

DanVasiljevs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Mar 31, 2017
The Interstate
Welcome to the Forum !

I grew up in Switzerland so I understand why you want to get out of Toronto.

I really do believe that in the long run, the weather has an impact on people's moods.

I first moved to Tempe, Arizona to go to Arizona State University in 2010.

Best decision of my life, I love Arizona.

I moved back to Switzerland in September of 2014 to work for my uncle as a coffee salesman. This was just a few months before the cold harsh Winter.

I could not believe how much of an impact the weather had on my mood.

I went from living in beautiful Tempe, AZ where's its sunny every day to moving back to Geneva, Switzerland right before the winter started.

About two months after I moved back to Switzerland I started getting depressed. I noticed I had less energy than usual, it was harder for me to wake up in the morning and I felt less motivated than when I lived in Arizona.

So I eventually moved back to Scottsdale, AZ in 2015.

It's my understanding that when you live in a country that has long winters, the days are shorter, therefore you receive less sunlight and this in turn affects your mood.

Your brain produces less Serotonin and you also receive much less Vitamin D from the Sun.

Low serotonin and Vitamin D are both linked to depression.

In fact many people that live in countries that receive little to no sunlight during the winter ( Scotland, Switzerland, Canada) suffer from SAD ( Seasonal Affective Disorder). You feel like shit, you have less energy, its harder to wake up early in the morning....

So yeah, don't mean to go on a tangent but moving to Arizona is a smart move in my opinion. You're going to love it.

Do you have any idea of Where in Arizona you want to live? Scottsdale ? Phoenix ? Mesa ?

Lots of places to choose from.

Absolutely! People don't realize how huge the impact of the sun is and the lack of it on your health.

You live in Scottsdale now? That's awesome man.

Can you recommend me some neighborhoods? Looking at 1000-1300$/month for 2 ppl (moving with my business partner).

We're both 21, single young ambitious guys. Love to workout, so preferably close to a gym.

We don't go out too much but it's nice one in a while. I F*cking love nature, and the desert!! I saw these places like Rio Verde, Carefree and Cave Creek but they're WAY outta town, they look cool though.

I'll probably move in around Scottsdale I reckon?

Last edited:

SwissTuxedo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2016
Absolutely! People don't realize how huge the impact of the sun is and the lack of it on your health.

You live in Scottsdale now? That's awesome man.

Can you recommend me some neighborhoods? Looking at 1000-1300$/month for 2 ppl (moving with my business partner).

We're both 21, single young ambitious guys. Love to workout, so preferably close to a gym.

We don't go out too much but it's nice one in a while. I F*cking love nature, and the desert!! I saw these places like Rio Verde, Carefree and Cave Creek but they're WAY outta town, they look cool though.

I'll probably move in around Scottsdale I reckon?

Hey !

Yes, I live in Scottsdale. I've been living there for about 2 and a half years now and also lived in Tempe for 4 years.

Okay, let's talk neighborhoods.

I think the first thing to note is that Scottsdale is a city that can be divided into two main areas; North Scottsdale ( anything past the 101 and Shea ) and South Scottsdale/Old Town Area.

North Scottsdale is beautiful. Lots of restaurants and places to go. However the crowd is a bit older there.

I lived in Greyhawk ( A nice area in North Scottsdale) for about a year and a half and eventually moved out because there were not enough people my age in that area and there wasn't too much to do.

South Scottsdale/Old town area is definitely has more people our age and things are a lot closer to one another. Many of Scottsdale's restaurants & bars are located in Old Town, including Fashion Square Mall.

Then you have Tempe, a city that you should also consider living in. Tempe is home to Arizona State University. As of 2016, over 70,000 students were enrolled at ASU. Think about that for a second. Yes, Tempe is a college town with lots and lots of students everywhere you go but its great if you're looking to make some friends and get familiar with the area. Lots of gyms everywhere too.

Considering your age & entrepreneurial mindset I would definitely consider Tempe as an option. Even if its just for a year.

For Rent - I live in a one bedroom in Scottsdale & pay about $1,300 a month.

You can easily find a solid 2 bedroom for about $1k a month all the way up to $1,400/ month.

So I would consider :

Option 1 - Tempe

Option 2 - South Scottssdale/Old Town Area

Option 3 - North Scottsdale.

Again this is my opinion based off of my experience here in Arizona, someone might give you a different perspective but this is what I would recommend.

There are gyms all over the valley; Mountainside Fitness, L.A Fitness, Maximum Fitness, Lifetime....

Expect to pay between $40 to $80/ month for your membership.

Let me know what other questions you have and I will do my best to answer them.

Last edited:

furiousJ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
May 12, 2017
montreal
Damn Is Toronto that bad? I was going to move there in 2 weeks to escape this shithole of a province called Quebec but now I'm questioning if it's really a good idea.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Damn Is Toronto that bad? I was going to move there in 2 weeks to escape this shithole of a province called Quebec but now I'm questioning if it's really a good idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...