The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2024 State Tax Rankings... Time for You to Move?

natyms

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 10, 2018
Munich
Are you only interested in Europe or elsewhere as well?

As for Europe, my ideas:
  • Switzerland - fits all of the boxes and would be my number one choice, particularly for you as a German speaker. Weather could be much warmer obviously but it's still among the warmest and sunniest places in Switzerland.
  • Madeira - technically Portugal but in some aspects independent. Doesn't fit all the boxes but has nice weather (could be less rainy), has LOTS of water (that's the benefit of so much rain), and is child-friendly.
  • Slovenia - not sure about the government and stuff but has okay weather (particularly Koper), is very forested (so no issues with water), and safe.
Thank you so much.
Of course I also consider anything outside of Europe.
Switzerland I have been given a lot of thought.It checks most boxes, but it is also incredibly expensive. Taxes might be lower, but what you save in taxes, you spend in everything else.
Madeira and Slovenia I have never considered, I will definitly research that option.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
Portugal has NHR program (non-habitual tax regime) where you can pay 10% from your foreign income (was 0% not long time ago) for next ten years, when you are resident there (as far as I remember). That applies to the whole continental area as well as Madeira. Maybe it’s worth to check that out

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
If you are considering moving in 1-3 years, start collecting some data on the state you plan to move to. I have a pretty good idea on where I am going but the last thing I want is to move and have taxes increase before I actually move. I mean anything will be better than NY but still! I just signed up for some email newsletters from a few local chambers in the region I plan to move to. Worth it to just keep checking on things before making a commitment.

justinbiz

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 31, 2022
Southern California and Northern Ohio
Amazing, even with a multi-billion dollar surplus, CALIFORNIA wants to double taxes.

And guess who will fill the largest portion of the bill? Entrepreneurs and business owners with a gross receipts tax.

Wonder when fair-minded entrepreneurs will wake up and refuse to be treated like livestock.

View attachment 41568

But notice what the CA government is going to do with the extra taxes - single-payer health care. If I have to pay the extra $12k in taxes I will be $5k a year ahead because of not paying health insurance premiums for my family. Sure, not true for everyone, but for me it sounds like a good deal.

watchopt

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 5, 2020
us
I've heard that Montana is one of the best states in terms of entrepreneurship.

They would likely also have a ton of camping and government land. Check out Glacier National Park, for instance. If you were near a city, you'd have a library. Weather would be cold. But the cost of living would be way cheaper. I found a 2 bed, 1 bath house for $70,000 on a random Zillow search just now in the first page of results. Where I live, an equivalent house would be $300,000+.

As a bonus, they're the 5th best state in the country for taxes, according to MJ's original post above.

By the way - you should totally build a ranking system of the best places for developing a fastlaner mindest without the fastlaner wealth. That's brilliant!
Brillant is a strong word. Thank you for providing the source but I a wonder, 'where is the raw data' on this? Is there a comparison as well? On the other hand: It might be a good laugh for the fastlane forum if I ended up traveling/freezing in Montana camping next to a library based on some article that falls in line with the authentic equivalent to the CDC postings. Thankfully my girlfriend is the sanity check in my endeavors. lol

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Moving from a high to a low tax state was enough of a take home change to pay for the mortgage (and prop tax!).

I don’t understand how in 2022 states don’t realize they are increasingly going to have to compete for businesses and workers.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Top cities in America to start a business...

As expected, the top states are dominated by Florida and Texas cities, with sprinkles from CO and NC. AZ cities are near the bottom, and Utah had none. :jawdrop:

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
638%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ

As expected, the top states are dominated by Florida and Texas cities, with sprinkles from CO and NC. AZ cities are near the bottom, and Utah had none. :jawdrop:
I've never put too much weigh on any of these articles. They pick a certain arbitrary set of variables and then someone manage to rank cities based on that. I've seen same publications flip all the cities on their head, in a follow up publication a year down the road. I see this phenomena happen in the countless 'best cities to live' index year after year.

For business location -- I think it all depends on what you are doing, and what makes the most sense, and cannot be 'lumped' as a general 'starting a business' title. The access to resources, space, talent, pay you need to offer etc will vary widely depending on what the needs are.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Lol what a crock of shit.

Percentage of residents fully vaxinated was given double the weight compared to corporate taxes! WTF?

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
Thanks. I actually had the opportunity once to be there, but I didn't like it. It didn't feel right. It's also too little, with horrible weather and I'm not sure about the schools either... Or maybe it was just too "English". I like England for a visit, but I would never live there.
I have the same issue with Andorra. I see @ohmamecr wrote about it further up.
Andorra is great for tax purposes, but it doesn't even have an airport, it so little, you always see the same people and the weather it's not exactly the best.

I don't know. This is something that is giving me anxiety.
I also have to say that, although paying taxes in Spain makes me furious, because it's only used for stupid purposes (i.e. the too many bureaucrats drinking gin tonics), in Germany at least I have the feeling I receive something for them. Every single time I have not been able to work, I have been taken care of. Maternity leave is great. It's stilll a lot of taxes, but at least you know you won't end up not being able to pay a hospital bill or end up in the streets if you lose your money.
What's wrong with living in England out of interest? (Don't worry - you can't offend me!)

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
What's wrong with living in England out of interest? (Don't worry - you can't offend me!)
Doing business - shit
Being an employee - shit
Weather - shit
Standard of living - shit
Size of houses - shit
Size of windows in said houses - shit

I could go on.

Let's put it this way, the best part of being in the EU meant we didn't have to live in the UK.

Sadly that ship has sailed.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Percentage of residents fully vaxinated was given double the weight compared to corporate taxes! WTF?

LOL are they serious? I'm glad that the website gave me a random IP Block (I assume because it's too hard for them to add a cookie notice for EU visitors).

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
Doing business - shit
Being an employee - shit
Weather - shit
Standard of living - shit
Size of houses - shit
Size of windows in said houses - shit

I could go on.

Let's put it this way, the best part of being in the EU meant we didn't have to live in the UK.

Sadly that ship has sailed.
I like our weather!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Wow, what a joke.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I like our weather!
It's not too bad actually.
And fresh food is very good quality and relatively cheap.
And the people are good.
When they're not moaning about the economy.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

zbones

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 14, 2023
It's fascinating that the tax difference is so big depending on where you live within the same country!
The US is dizzying. Texas is a great example how even within a state/city taxes can vary widely. Had family buy a house in texas and decided to live one county over from where they wanted because they would save >$10k in property tax. Like literally less than a mile difference and they were saving that much.

Only thing I'd add to this conversation is that where you live should be driven by your intention. I'm half way through Unscripted and what I'm getting is you make the life you want. So if you want to live by family and be able to drop by everyday, then guess what you're paying that tax. Is that bad, yeah it sucks but classic economics you value living close to family/or whatever it is more than what you're paying so you don't move. Think about the decisions you make in your life and you can actually quantify how much those decisions are costing you. I'm living in a high tax country right now and it sucks how much I pay, in fact it hurts to do the calculation, but guess what. The other factors at play are worth way more than saving on taxes. Can that change, absolutely it will. But the point is I'm awake to how I'm living my life in that aspect.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.