The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Odyssey - Finding Meaning And Achieving Financial Freedom

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Hi, name's Simeon and I'll be documenting my goals, failures and successes in this thread.

I come from a lower class family in Bulgaria where money has always been about survival.

I was born with a dairy allergy and had my first introduction to willpower at the age of 4. I was in kindergarten at the time where naturally kids often ate chocolates, ice cream and other sweet stuff. I couldn't, so I was the outsider kid that got to watch and drool instead. Once one of the nannies force fed me a chocolate because she was of the opinion I wasn't allergic and as soon as I felt the sweet heavenly taste of chocolate goodness I ran to the toilets and spat it out. I didn't want to but I did because I had to.

Being an aggressive, angry-at-the-world kid I was given labels such as "anger issues" and "ADHD". I got into fights every single day as my only friend at the time was constantly bullied by the bigger kids and I wasn't going to allow that. I fought so much at one point I enjoyed the bruises and pain and would actively seek it out. The nannies hated me while the family physician even suggested I was crazy when in fact all my anger came from my parents' divorce and my allergy which I perceived as bad as being disabled at the time.

That anger continued up until high school, though I was a popular kid until that point. I "suddenly" developed Crohn's disease and spent some time in hospitals and had minor surgery. Had an epiphany at the age of 14 and became a completely docile and subdued person compared to before, weak even.

I entered high school sickly, malnourished, short, skinny, anxious and would have panic attacks every day.

As soon as I walked in class for the first time, I sat next to the what became the most wanted girl in school. I fell in love soon after, but as I was seemingly a weak and frail boy, I got rejected and friendzoned. That was the first time I opened a self-help book!

I changed my appearance, my mentality, began working out and doing things that interest me. Became a semi-pro League of Legends player and acquired status. A few years later, at 17, I entered my first serious relationship. It lasted 2 years and was the reason I began my entrepreneurship journey, since I wanted for us to be able to afford anything, live anywhere we wish and for me to escape the toxic environment I lived in.

Long story short she left me
2 years in, even though I was earning big from dropshipping ($30 000 a month) I was devastated, severely depressed and my Crohn's disease resurfaced.

I ended up almost losing my life 3 times. I had emergency surgery where my intestines almost burst and the inflammation was eating me alive. I had a stoma bag attached to my stomach which I had to shit in and clean 5-6 times a day. I went from an athletic looking guy to a late stage anorexic looking frail boy again. You could wrap your fingers around my arms. I couldn't look at myself, I hated myself, I hated life and suffered from a victim mentality. I declined traditional medicine and was told by the best surgeon (and military general) in Bulgaria that I would die.

My reply was "I'll outlive you" and I uncovered some nasty stuff about the most "prestigious" hospital in Bulgaria (the head surgeon was intimidating people with severe chronic diseases like me to take X medicine because the hospital has contracts with big pharma, making them worse in the long run). I teamed up with one of his surgeon crew members who's also very young and we did our detective work. Nothing in the press since people in Bulgaria seemingly tend to disappear or become suicidal out of nowhere.

Then I snapped. I let go of the past, let go of all my anger and decided to work with what I've got. This was my second spiritual epiphany.

2 years later I am now fully healthy, my intestines got reattached and I'm using my a$$ to go the toilet again, I have badass scars, almost 10kg more muscle than what I had before my health issues and my girlfriend is the girl that rejected me 8 years ago (yes, the popular one). We're planning a future together. Am I still depressed? Yes, I have my days, but I've accepted it as part of my personality, along with my trauma, anger issues, ADHD and whatever the F*ck doctors throw at you today.

I allowed myself to have a second chance in life and was humbled by my experiences. And this time I'll focus on doing things the right way with the help of the widsom I've gained.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 1:

I have been dabbling in web design & SEO for the past year and have finally decided to take some real action. So far I've had 3 clients - 1 for free, 2 paid. I am using my past work as leverage with my future clients and so far it's working well.

Today's happenings were as follows:

Cold calls: 7
Leads: 4
Prospects: 1

I started calling at 8:30 in the morning. A few construction companies, then after some frustration I decided to focus on service-based businesses since my most notable site was of a driving school. So I called a few cleaning services businesses.

One of the construction businesses I called in the morning (after thorough reserach) I was greeted by a secretary:

"Hi, this is X company, correct?"

- "Yes, hello"

"Hi, may I speak with John Doe please?"

- "May I ask what for?"

"Can you just get him on the phone? We've already connected via e-mail (lie)"

- "Sorry, I can't just give him the phone like that unless I know what it is for"

"Sure, I'll call later then"

- "*chuckles* But you'd be talking to me again"

"I don't mind"

- " *chuckles again* Just tell me, perhaps I could help"

"I was in your site just minutes ago and your online store was completely broken and you're losing out on some clients. I recently dealt with another business with the same issues and managed to get them back working quickly again. We were going to discuss this with John Doe today."

- "We don't have an online store"

"This is X construction company, correct?"

- "Yes."

"You have more than 20 products listed on your front page with buy buttons"

- "Either way, we're not interested"

"We or just you? What if your employer believes otherwise?"

- "Well, I deal with this stuff, not John Doe"

"So this website is of your doing?"

- "Not quite, but you could say I arranged for it to be done"

"It seems you didn't arrange for it well enough"

-"HAVE A GOOD DAY" *hangs up*

I told my friend about this cold call and asked him whether I was wrong and too hostile and he said if they're this neglectful about their online store (they mostly sell cement and other construction materials & consumatives) then they're probably neglectful in other areas as well.

I Google'd them and, ironically, there was an article about one of their employees going to prison for involuntary manslaughter with a construction vehicle, apprently they crushed an old woman to death due to negligence.

Now for the prospect:

I acquired the prospect from one of the above calls to a cleaning company. The call started out rough, he wasn't interested in getting more clients and thought his site was fine (it's absolute garbage).

I asked him if he thinks that it's possible that it can be better than it currently is, he said yes.

I proceeded by explaining that while he may have lots of traffic with his current website, the fact that it's lacking in, well, everything, that could mean there's a lot of potential for increasing the conversion rate. It went something like this:

"It's great that you're having a lot of visitors. But let's just imagine that currently every 2 out of 10 visitors end up contacting you for your services. What if we improve your site in a way that makes that 3 or 4 out of 10?" This opened him up a little bit.

I then asked him if he's offering these services just in the city or the whole area. He claimed the latter. However, in his website or facebook page, none of that was mentioned anywhere. I asked him whether I'm correct in my guess that even though he has many clients in the city he likely has very few in neighbouring cities/villages. He admitted that it wouldn't hurt to have more clients in the general area. Great.

I also sold him on the fact that we can implement some subscription based systems in his site which will make his and his clients' experience much more user-friendly. Cool.

As I was about to continue, the guy straight up suggested we meet tomorrow at X place to close the deal. We set up the logistics and wished eachother a good day and he thanked me for my call.

I sent 4 follow-up e-mails to people I called today that said "Sounds good, send me an offer by e-mail and I'll check it out".

End of Day 1.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 2:

Woke up around 8:00 since it's Saturday and I won't be cold calling today.

Did 1 of 3 workouts for the day and have a scheduled meetup with yesterday's prospect at 11:00 in a cafe I'm unfamiliar with. I hate that, but I find I'm way more in the zone when I arrive rather than beforehand, so I'm trying to not think of it as a big deal and accepting my anxiety.

My thinking is that when I start doing this on a daily basis I won't feel the jitters anymore. It's literally a "fear of the unknown" at the moment.

Will report after.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
FIRST DEAL CLOSED!

I arrived minutes before the prospect at the arranged location. Talked to him for about an hour. We talked about his business, his history, goals for the company, life, the pandemic and its implications, practically everything.

After a lot of back and forth, as I was about to give him an offer he asked how much one of my previous sites had cost.

I said $1000, though I'd done it for free. He explained that due to having less business now and having to take out from his savings to keep it going he'd be more inclined to do $500-600 since he probably won't be profiting again until next year.

I empathized with him about his situation and said my intention is for him to look at my services as an investment, rather than another expense. So if $600 works for him to see it as such (an investment), then that's more important to me than him seeing $1000 for the website as an unnecessary expense.

I'd rather he felt safe about his investment and for him to experience further local growth thanks to the website - this makes it much more likely to do more business with him and/or have referrals sent my way.

His response was that I should do less since we agreed on the smaller payment. I replied by saying that I don't work that way and that I don't label a project as finished until I'm certain that everything that has to be done, has been done, and that what they get in terms of features and results remains the same regardless of the amount we settled on.

The guy appeared to be quite content at this point. I knew I'd earned his trust.

The alternative was to push for more but I'm not currently in a position of abundance to do that, and also, the guy owns a cleaning company that handles around 80% of the city's businesses, I'm thinking of it as a long term investment in my networking game plan.

We shook hands for $600, he paid me half and drove me to my place (his office is nearby).

I'm happy I cracked my first sale from a cold call.

Note: I'm using $ for better readability, obviously the currency in Bulgaria is different.

Services sold: Web site redesign & SEO.

End of Day 2.

Last edited:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Interesting story and well done on your efforts to date.

Just one thing though. That is no way to talk to someone and I think you know this otherwise you would not have asked for an opinion from your friend.

In many small businesses the receptionist is a family member. Wife, daughter, son. Remember that.

'I wonder if you could help me....' is a much friendlier opening and follow it with an intelligent question that the receptionist is now collaborating with you to figure out the best person to speak to or when to call back and be put through.

Your question in the post with the prospect is an example of an intelligent question. 'Is it possible that your website could be doing better than it is?'

That is not confrontational but almost anyone would agree it is possible.

Dan

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Interesting story and well done on your efforts to date.

Just one thing though. That is no way to talk to someone and I think you know this otherwise you would not have asked for an opinion from your friend.

In many small businesses the receptionist is a family member. Wife, daughter, son. Remember that.

'I wonder if you could help me....' is a much friendlier opening and follow it with an intelligent question that the receptionist is now collaborating with you to figure out the best person to speak to or when to call back and be put through.

Your question in the post with the prospect is an example of an intelligent question. 'Is it possible that your website could be doing better than it is?'

That is not confrontational but almost anyone would agree it is possible.

Dan

I appreciate the feedback and agree on both points. I'm aware that often receptionists are family members and that my approach was wrong. I could have been more agreeable and cooperative with the lady.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 3

It's Sunday, so no cold calling today.

I've decided on using the Elementor page builder for this project and as my go-to page builder in the future, since it makes work 3x faster and easier. I can literally complete a project in 2-3 days.

When you take into account the many technical issues that arise while developing a website, migrating it and etc, having a page builder with the power to build whole sites in mere days is spectacular.

My Definition of Financial Freedom and How Close I Actually Am

I lead a fairly modest lifestyle.

I only desire to have some free time, enough cash to rent my own place, pay my food & bills and take out my girl for dinner at a nice place (something I haven't done yet).

We also want to be able to afford to go on a few vacations every year.

Some quick maffs..

To lead the lifestyle described above I'd need at least $2000 month (again, not actual dollars, we use a different currency here).

Why $2000?

Food: $300
Bills: $50-60
Small apartment: $200-400
Supplements/other minor expenses: $100-200 (but let's say it's even higher than that)
Total monthly expenditure: Comfortably below $1000

I would then have $1000 left to reinvest in my business, save for a vacation, help pay my mother's debts, etc.

$2000 a month is 2 medium priced or 3-4 smaller priced websites (for my current mediocre sales level). That's..easily doable if I cold call enough.

Last week I called a measly 20 businesses or so..

Out of 20 connections I got 3 prospects, met with 2 business owners and closed one deal for $600 so far.

I already got paid half upfront and I can finish the project in a week tops, though I could in 2-3 days easily.

But let's say it took me a week for every project on average..

This means I only need to sell 1 website a week for the same amount in order to earn $2400 a month, which is more than enough to fund my lifestyle.

Basically, I have to replicate exactly what I did last week for next week, and then do it again, and again.. and I'd be living the life I want. For now, at least.

After a while of doing this I'd probably have a few extra projects monthly due to referrals, and eventually I wouldn't need to cold call much.

Laying this out in text felt invigorating.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 4

SECOND DEAL CLOSED! (well, probably)

No cold calling today. Had to meet up with a potential buyer for my car, it went well and I'm probably selling my car tomorrow (have no need for it, it's weighing me down). Also went to the dentist and worked on client's site.

I did, however, follow up with a prospect. It went something like this:

"Hey N, It's Simeon from Nowhere, I'm calling to ask whether you've made a decision regarding your website"

- "Hey man, yeah, I have, I want to get it done and I'll get to it soon, just been busy these past few days as a lot of my colleagues are not working and I have to do double the work"

"Oh that's rough, I understand. I just wanted to check up on you since I assumed you were busy.

- "Yes and I appreciate it, we'll talk soon"

"Have a great day!"

-"Thanks, you too!"

Until I see upfront payment I remain a bit skeptical, but we've been talking with this guy for 2 weeks now, so it should be good.

If all things go well, I'm at 1200/2000 of my monthly goal and it's just June (yes, I will count the sale from yesterday as I am yet to be paid in full).

Feels great!

And on top of that one of my past clients called (plumber) for some help with his logo. I helped him and he said:

"Thanks, by the way, I've got a friend that's opening a massage studio. She needs a site and I'll send her to you."

Which means, hypothetically, I might soon reach my goal just a few days/week in the month of June.

I love this! I wonder if I am just lucky.

P.S I've learned almost everything from @Fox and I began taking action thanks to @Sean Marshall's thread on starting a digital marketing agency. Thanks guys for all the free value, couldn't/wouldn't have done it without you two.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 5

No cold calling today. Why, you may ask? Because I'm a noob.

I met with my client today for the cleanings services project. He's pretty happy with the design and I know he'll have great results from the website, so I'll be asking for referrals from him.. frequently.

Anyways, I did a lot of work on his site today but still felt like I could have cold called, and I did promise myself I'll acquire at least 1 client per week in order to earn a minimum of $2000 per month.

I'll be meeting with him again on Friday and I'll be done with the site by then, in fact I only have about 2 hours left of work to do. That's literally 2 days with a lot of free time.

That means I WILL cold call tomorrow and I will report my results.

June goal: $600/2000

End of Day 5.

Last edited:

Zyanwc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jun 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Day 4

SECOND DEAL CLOSED! (well, probably)

No cold calling today. Had to meet up with a potential buyer for my car, it went well and I'm probably selling my car tomorrow (have no need for it, it's weighing me down). Also went to the dentist and worked on client's site.

I did, however, follow up with a prospect. It went something like this:

"Hey N, It's Simeon from Nowhere, I'm calling to ask whether you've made a decision regarding your website"

- "Hey man, yeah, I have, I want to get it done and I'll get to it soon, just been busy these past few days as a lot of my colleagues are not working and I have to do double the work"

"Oh that's rough, I understand. I just wanted to check up on you since I assumed you were busy.

- "Yes and I appreciate it, we'll talk soon"

"Have a great day!"

-"Thanks, you too!"

Until I see upfront payment I remain a bit skeptical, but we've been talking with this guy for 2 weeks now, so it should be good.

If all things go well, I'm at 1200/2000 of my monthly goal and it's just June (yes, I will count the sale from yesterday as I am yet to be paid in full).

Feels great!

And on top of that one of my past clients called (plumber) for some help with his logo. I helped him and he said:

"Thanks, by the way, I've got a friend that's opening a massage studio. She needs a site and I'll send her to you."

Which means, hypothetically, I might soon reach my goal just a few days/week in the month of June.

I love this! I wonder if I am just lucky.

P.S I've learned almost everything from @Fox and I began taking action thanks to @Sean Marshall's thread on starting a digital marketing agency. Thanks guys for all the free value, couldn't/wouldn't have done it without you two.
Man I just love you’re enthusiasm and your work ethic. I think we’re around the same age (I’m 19), and man you and your story are really inspiring me to take action!

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Well done on this, I'm on a similar journey and I've also got Chrons (though I got diagnosed when I was 25 years old) so I know how hard it can be. Keep going, you'll get there

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well done.

Something I repeat to myself:

“Money can’t be in two places at once.” (Blaise Brosnan)

If it’s in their account it’s not in my account, so they aren’t a client yet, just a prospect.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Man I just love you’re enthusiasm and your work ethic. I think we’re around the same age (I’m 19), and man you and your story are really inspiring me to take action!

Hey, thanks. It really depends how muture of an 19 year old you are. 19 to 22 felt like 10 years worth of growth for me due to what I went through. I'm glad that I've inspired you and yes, you should take action today.

Bravo Ubace.

I'm from macedonia but I live next to the bulgarian border, really happy for your progress and will follow!

Thanks brat, I'll be sure to check out what you do!

Well done on this, I'm on a similar journey and I've also got Chrons (though I got diagnosed when I was 25 years old) so I know how hard it can be. Keep going, you'll get there

It's certainly interesting to have this disease. Unhinged and neurotic people seem to suffer the worst outcomes (myself included) and I really was at death's door at one point. Fortunately my soul snapped and I realigned myself back on my path again, almost as if I entered some other frequency here on Earth. I'll refrain from going too metaphysical here for now.

Well done.

Something I repeat to myself:

“Money can’t be in two places at once.” (Blaise Brosnan)

If it’s in their account it’s not in my account, so they aren’t a client yet, just a prospect.

Blaise Brosnan is a wise man.

Pierce Brosnan is cool too.

Is it just me or are we missing updates for days 6, 7 & 8?

Before anyone jumps down my neck, I quote the OP

Gotta keep these youngsters accountable

I have bad news, guys..

There were no updates for days 6, 7 and 8.

Now before you are shocked and disgusted by my presumed action faking allow me to explain. I was busy with my client and making sure he is 120% happy, since the guy has good connections with a leading construction company in my city. And yes, they do need a website redesign and fresh SEO.

And I would LOVE to help a construction company get more leads and deals and for me to acquire precious knowledge of the industry to leverage in the future.

I made about 6-7 cold calls per day for the last few days, equaling a total of 20 calls. Womp womp.

TOP SECRET STORY BELOW!

Alright so I was walking towards my apartment block at 12:30 AM after escorting my dear girlfriend to hers, which I do every single night because she's as precious to me as The One Ring to Gollum in The Lord of the Rings, I suddenly felt buzzing and was greeted by an almost-blinding bright light coming from the sky.

Suddenly, I was being abducted by aliens.

"No.." I said, remembering I promised myself and my girl to cold call 25 businesses tomorrow.

"..You can't do this!"

Anyways, they beamed me up and I was greeted by their Lord Commander.

Guess who?

Jordan motherf@#%ing Belfort! Yep, the Wolf of Wall Street is also the Vortigaunt of Nibiru-B17.

"Lol" he exclaimed. "Who the f@#k is this guy?".

- "Wtf dude" I uttered.

"Alright I know it's a lot process. Here's what we're gonna do. I'll tell you a riddle and you have to guess the missing words. If you answer correctly I'll share you my secret of cold calling success."

I was intrigued.

"Are you ready?" Belfort impatiently asked.

- "Sure".

"Roses are red, violets are blue. There's 2 type of people - buyers and non-buyers for you.

Seek out the buyers, leave the non-buyers alone, or else you're an idiot just like _ _ _ _ _ _ _"

- "Cardone".

Jordan Belfort's eyes widened

"At long last! You have finally come. Here, take this and get the f@#k out of here!"

- "Thanks Mr. Belfort"

And so I did.

And now without further ado, the secret Jordan Belfort shared with me:

"You, yes you.

Make 140 cold calls a week.

40 of those calls will be with the decision maker.

Of those 40 times you will close 8 meetings.

Of those 8 meetings 6 will be held.

From those 6 meetings, you will make 2 sales"

2 sales per week? That's 8 a month.. with a minimum price of $600 per website, that's $4800 per month, 2.5x more than my monthly goal for financial freedom!?

Deep smolder into the distance as the Sun lowers into the horizon to mark the end of the day

I understand what needs to be done. And I'm going to do it, Jordan.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Zyanwc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jun 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Hey, thanks. It really depends how muture of an 19 year old you are. 19 to 22 felt like 10 years worth of growth for me due to what I went through. I'm glad that I've inspired you and yes, you should take action today.

It's certainly interesting to have this disease. Unhinged and neurotic people seem to suffer the worst outcomes (myself included) and I really was at death's door at one point. Fortunately my soul snapped and I realigned myself back on my path again, almost as if I entered some other frequency here on Earth. I'll refrain from going too metaphysical here for now.

I have bad news, guys..

Now before you are shocked and disgusted by my presumed action faking allow me to explain. I was busy with my client and making sure he is 120% happy, since the guy has good connections with a leading construction company in my city. And yes, they do need a website redesign and fresh SEO.

And I would LOVE to help a construction company get more leads and deals and for me to acquire precious knowledge of the industry to leverage in the future.

I made about 6-7 cold calls per day for the last few days, equaling about 20 calls. Womp womp.

TOP SECRET STORY BELOW!

Alright so I was walking towards my apartment block at 12:30 AM after escorting my dear girlfriend to hers, which I do every single night because she's as precious to me as The One Ring to Gollum in The Lord of the Rings, I suddenly felt buzzing and was greeted by an almost-blinding bright light coming from the sky.

"No.." I said, remembering I promised myself and my girl to cold call 25 businesses tomorrow.

"..You can't do this!"

Guess who?

Jordan motherf@#%ing Belfort! Yep, the Wolf of Wall Street is also the Vortigaunt of Nibiru-B17.

- "Wtf dude" I uttered.

"Alright I know it's a lot process. Here's what we're gonna do. I'll tell you a riddle and you have to guess the missing words. If you answer correctly I'll share you my secret of cold calling success."

I was intrigued.

- "Sure".

"Roses are red, violets are blue. There's 2 type of people - buyers and non-buyers for you.

Seek out the buyers, leave the non-buyers alone, or else you're an idiot just like _ _ _ _ _ _ _"

- "Cardone".

"At long last! You have finally come. Here, take this and get the f@#k out of here!"

- "Thanks Mr. Belfort"

And so I did.

"You, yes you.

2 sales per week? That's 8 a month.. with a minimum price of $600 per website, that's $4800 per month, 2.5x more than my monthly goal for financial freedom!?

Deep smolder into the distance as the Sun lowers into the horizon to mark the end of the day

Stay tuned!
Alright, I’ll admit this was a very interesting read, you’re a good story teller. But man...wtf lol... that came out of no where, not what I thought you’d post (but it’s a good thing) just really took me by surprise when I read this. Still not really sure what happened, but I’m glad you had a eureka moment. I think I’m going to join you on that 140 calls a week thing maybe I get a client, or maybe just better and am that much closer to a new client. Thanks again man! Great story.

Zyanwc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jun 5, 2020
Las Vegas

I have bad news, guys..

I made about 6-7 cold calls per day for the last few days, equaling a total of 20 calls. Womp womp.

TOP SECRET STORY BELOW!

"..You can't do this!"

Guess who?

- "Wtf dude" I uttered.

I was intrigued.

- "Sure".

- "Cardone".

- "Thanks Mr. Belfort"

And so I did.

"You, yes you.

Stay tuned!
Also thanks for the compliment, it’s not often a 19 year old is given praise on his/her maturity. It’s always “you really think you’re grown now” and whatever. So thanks for that! Not trying to be “grown” just educated. If I find a way to one day gather the wisdom and learning equal to that of a 60 year man’s life I don’t think that should be criticized because I did it young.

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

I have bad news, guys..

TOP SECRET STORY BELOW!

"..You can't do this!"

Guess who?

- "Wtf dude" I uttered.

I was intrigued.

- "Sure".

- "Cardone".

- "Thanks Mr. Belfort"

And so I did.

"You, yes you.

Stay tuned!
On the 5th abduction you get a t-shirt.
Mars is really nice this time of year...

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 10

Cold called 15 businesses. 1 prospect. Yep, not 25. Still 2x more than I've ever done in a single day.

Scheduled a second phone call on Wednesday, we got along well over the phone. His business is in manufacturing and selling carbon brushes. Supplies some pretty large industrial companies.

My client with the cleaning company was very happy with the site he got.

So happy, in fact, that he took me to this run-down tiny "office" (it was an old room in an apartment block with a dude inside that had the weirdest facial hair one could have) and said "You want more work right? Here you go".

The "work" was the dude with the weird facial hair pretty much begging me for help with WordPress. Apparently he also runs some sort of web design business. I listened to his crap for a few minutes and said "I'll think about it" and bailed. Not worth my time at all. My client ran off because he was in a hurry, but we'll be speaking again soon and I'll ask for the construction company referral.

Anyways, from the earnings I get this month I'll be renting an apartment from July onwards. Time to grow up - clean, cook and provide for myself. Also, no more putting up with 2 old women in the house.

I believe me moving to my own apartment will be very beneficial for my business growth. Not only that, but I'll also be able to invite my girlfriend over and pretend we're making babies.

Did I mention my childhood dream of becoming an F1 driver? I had a shitty slowlane, limiting beliefs, "we're divorced so the kid is not my issue" father that couldn't even take me karting. I bought my own sim racing wheel less than a year ago and I'm already getting competitive lap times on most tracks. It appears I have talent, unfortunately my father was never enough of a "father".

I'm 22 so the dream is gone for real life F1, but perhaps I could look to entering F1 eSports the next few years. *sobs determinedly*

Stay tuned..

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 11 a.k.a yesterday
I literally did nothing. I felt like shit all day physically and mentally, took numerous naps and felt off in general. I felt so shit, in fact, that I couldn't even get myself to post an update.

I did help my girlfriend in the morning with a very important exam.

Need to follow-up with the carbon brushes prospect today. Also wrote down 6 other numbers to call, most of them industrial companies as well (metallurgy).

Will add a Day 12 update today.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 12
Cleaning company client called. He kept raving about the site and how people are already calling from it. It also surpassed all competition he had in the city in terms of SEO.

He asked me whether I settled on a deal with the guy with the run-down office he took me to. I said no and that he'd literally just waste my time.

He replied back by saying that he got false information from him that he needed someone to work on a project.

I told him that wasn't the case but that I wouldn't have done that regardless because I run my own business.

My client then said "we're going to find something else then" and said he's already been spreading word about me and what I do. I told him that since he's taking it seriously I'll give him 10% of every sale I get from his referrals.

He was ecstatic about my offer and said "that's how you do it, I love it, I do the same thing with my clients" and said we'll be talking again soon.

I also let him know I'm interested in helping out a construction company, named the one he is partnered with. He said "go ahead" followed by "but let me tell you some INSIDERS info - the company will be sold next year to X competitor, so they might turn you down just because of that".

Graphite brushes prospect. I called the guy today since he said "Wednesday or Thursday at any time", so I called him 11 something AM.

He disconnected the call almost instantly so I figured that he's busy or that our definition of "any time" is different. No problem, let's call him later.

Called around 4 PM. No answer. Okay, he's either ghosting or couldn't get to me. I'll try again tomorrow and if he doesn't pick up, then I guess he doesn't love me anymore. Whatever.

Called another industrial company in the metallurgy sector. Old site, second page, prime target.

Big Boss was on the phone. We talked for about a minute and he said "I'm going to pass the phone over to my partner as this is something he's more qualified to handle than I am".

Big Boss No. 2 was very interested, cooperative, answered my questions but said:

"The truth is, we're already a bit overwhelmed with the amount of clients as is, so the site plays more of an informational role than anything. However, we're interested in a redesign as the site really is quite outdated."

I get this a lot. So I decided to go over results as quicky as possible and focused more on my "redesign" selling point, since that's what they were interested in. Big Boss No.2 requested I send him an e-mail with an offer and my contact info.

The offer I sent them was to have a second phone call where we discuss their business in-depth so that we could together reach a price that's affordable and convenient for them, that I believe every business is different, etc along with my portfolio with added results and my contact info.

Also this: "If this is something that would be of interest to you, let's speak again soon. Additionally, if you prefer I inititated the second call, then just reply back with a date and time so that I can get back to you!"

End of Day 12.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 13
Didn't call anyone, was with my girlfriend.

Started looking up places to rent. Found some good deals, now I have to be earning the money.

Wrote down 17 cleaning companies' websites and phones. Will call ALL of them tomorrow.

It's Friday tomorrow. Can't have this week go to waste, I'm getting my second client for the month!

See you tomorrow.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 14
I got ahold of 10 business owners of cleaning companies on Friday yesterday.

1 out of 3 would tell me they have too many clients and not enough workers.

1 out of 3 said they can't afford a website currently since their business has been down. I kept saying that's exactly why I called and chose to help them rather than some big corp, but they insisted they don't have the budget.

And one of those who picked up (dude had a site that looked straight out of 2005-2006. Like a flash games site) immediately started yelling on the phone:

"Hello, is X on the phone?

- "Speaking.."

"Hi, this is Simeon, we recently worked with your colleagues in X cleaning company in Y city and got some great results for them. I have a question for you - are you getting any sales or clients from your site?

- ".. What do you mean?"

"Are people calling you from your website?"

- "I don't understand what you're aiming at" in an irritated tone

"You have a website. The website's domain is yy-77dotcom. You're on the 3rd page in Google for your niche's keywords. Are people visiting your site, are you getting any calls from it?"

- "WHY DO YOU THINK WE DON'T HAVE FIRMS LIKE YOURS HERE IN OUR CITY?"

"I am not a firm"

- "THEN WHAT ARE YOU?"

"A guy who helps small fish get better results with their business"

- "SMALL FISH!? I'M THE F*ckING MONOPOLY IN MY CITY. 47 PEOPLE ARE WORKING FOR ME, I OWN SEVERAL BUSINESSES AND I AM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE!"

"Is that why your company's site looks like a flash games site from 2005?"

- "I DON'T NEED A SITE! I HAVE WAY TOO MANY CLIENTS ANYWAY!'

"So you're saying you have no need to advertise this particular (cleaning) business currently and your focus is on acquiring more workforce?"

- "Yes, exactly."

"What about your other businesses? Need help with them?"

*talks around 5 minutes about his other businesses*

"Know anyone who needs help advertising their business?"

- "I can't think of anyone currently. And yeah, I don't need to advertise. I'm the F*cking monopoly. I entered business with AGGRESSION. All of my competition is dead."

"Elaborate on "dead"?"

- "I stole their business, all of it. I took their clients on for free. Some for 6 months, others for 6 years. Because I can afford it and they couldn't"

"You started by working for free?"

- "NO. I've never worked a day in my life. I've never held a mop or a bucket."

"So you had capital and hired people from the very beginning?"

- "Yes."

"Where did you get it?"

- "If I said I cleaned windows that would be a lie. How old are you?"

"22."

- "Jesus christ you're a young boy. I'm 42 and made my money a year or two before you were born. I smuggled tobacco in the 90s."

"Interesting."

- "Yeah, I've had an interesting life." *proceeds by talking for another 10 minutes about his life, his father, telling me how shitty the city I live in is and how the one he's in is much better and industrial*

- "Listen, I have to go. Save my number and come visit me in Y city. I'll show you around the factories and we'll have a beer or two. It was nice talking to you, you're a lot like me."

"Sure, I might take you up on that offer one day. Have a good day."

- "You too."

Got a few other prospects on Friday with which I'll have to follow up. They're all women, curiously, since 90% of the people I talk to on the phone are men.

I'm also spreading the word out about what I do and offering anyone 20% for referrals. Hope this kicks into gear soon enough.

End of Day 14.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Day 14
I got ahold of 10 business owners of cleaning companies on Friday yesterday.

1 out of 3 would tell me they have too many clients and not enough workers.

1 out of 3 said they can't afford a website currently since their business has been down. I kept saying that's exactly why I called and chose to help them rather than some big corp, but they insisted they don't have the budget.

And one of those who picked up (dude had a site that looked straight out of 2005-2006. Like a flash games site) immediately started yelling on the phone:

"Hello, is X on the phone?

- "Speaking.."

"Hi, this is Simeon, we recently worked with your colleagues in X cleaning company in Y city and got some great results for them. I have a question for you - are you getting any sales or clients from your site?

- ".. What do you mean?"

"Are people calling you from your website?"

- "I don't understand what you're aiming at" in an irritated tone

"You have a website. The website's domain is yy-77dotcom. You're on the 3rd page in Google for your niche's keywords. Are people visiting your site, are you getting any calls from it?"

- "WHY DO YOU THINK WE DON'T HAVE FIRMS LIKE YOURS HERE IN OUR CITY?"

"I am not a firm"

- "THEN WHAT ARE YOU?"

"A guy who helps small fish get better results with their business"

- "SMALL FISH!? I'M THE F*ckING MONOPOLY IN MY CITY. 47 PEOPLE ARE WORKING FOR ME, I OWN SEVERAL BUSINESSES AND I AM A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE!"

"Is that why your company's site looks like a flash games site from 2005?"

- "I DON'T NEED A SITE! I HAVE WAY TOO MANY CLIENTS ANYWAY!'

"So you're saying you have no need to advertise this particular (cleaning) business currently and your focus is on acquiring more workforce?"

- "Yes, exactly."

"What about your other businesses? Need help with them?"

*talks around 5 minutes about his other businesses*

"Know anyone who needs help advertising their business?"

- "I can't think of anyone currently. And yeah, I don't need to advertise. I'm the F*cking monopoly. I entered business with AGGRESSION. All of my competition is dead."

"Elaborate on "dead"?"

- "I stole their business, all of it. I took their clients on for free. Some for 6 months, others for 6 years. Because I can afford it and they couldn't"

"You started by working for free?"

- "NO. I've never worked a day in my life. I've never held a mop or a bucket."

"So you had capital and hired people from the very beginning?"

- "Yes."

"Where did you get it?"

- "If I said I cleaned windows that would be a lie. How old are you?"

"22."

- "Jesus christ you're a young boy. I'm 42 and made my money a year or two before you were born. I smuggled tobacco in the 90s."

"Interesting."

- "Yeah, I've had an interesting life." *proceeds by talking for another 10 minutes about his life, his father, telling me how shitty the city I live in is and how the one he's in is much better and industrial*

- "Listen, I have to go. Save my number and come visit me in Y city. I'll show you around the factories and we'll have a beer or two. It was nice talking to you, you're a lot like me."

"Sure, I might take you up on that offer one day. Have a good day."

- "You too."

Got a few other prospects on Friday with which I'll have to follow up. They're all women, curiously, since 90% of the people I talk to on the phone are men.

I'm also spreading the word out about what I do and offering anyone 20% for referrals. Hope this kicks into gear soon enough.

End of Day 14.
@Kak @Vigilante

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Day 15

Thanks for the support Andy. I feel better knowing you're following my posts every day.

It's Saturday. I spent a few hours putting up lap times in the F1 simulator game, worked out and I am about to have lunch.

I have 7 more numbers to call from yesterday. Will also have to follow up with some of yesterday's.

I said I wanted to call every number I had on Friday. However, my girlfriend is a 4th year med student who spends her days studying her brains out and got cranky, so I had to compromise and take her out for a walk because I love her.

Fortunately, most cleaning companies also work on Saturday and even Sunday, so I figred calling the
rest today won't be much of an issue. Expect an update on that in a few hours.

In regards to my F1 dream, I put up a pretty competitive lap time on Melbourne today. Competitive as in eSports level!

I will try to upload a video for anyone that might care.

View attachment F1 2018 2020-06-13 12-44-01-47-1.mp4

Last edited:

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Are you saying there's a shortage of cleaners?
Too many clients not enough maids.
Why is there a shortage?

How long would it take you to build a website to attract would-be maids?
Referrals, directory, agency, just thinking out loud here.

Solve Mr Rich Guy's & others problems.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Day 15

Thanks for the support Andy. I feel better knowing you're following my posts every day.

It's Saturday. I spent a few hours putting up lap times in the F1 simulator game, worked out and I am about to have lunch.

I have 7 more numbers to call from yesterday. Will also have to follow up with some of yesterday's.

I said I wanted to call every number I had on Friday. However, my girlfriend is a 4th year med student who spends her days studying her brains out and got cranky, so I had to compromise and take her out for a walk because I love her.

Fortunately, most cleaning companies also work on Saturday and even Sunday, so I figred calling the
rest today won't be much of an issue. Expect an update on that in a few hours.

In regards to my F1 dream, I put up a pretty competitive lap time on Melbourne today. Competitive as in eSports level!

I will try to upload a video for anyone that might care.

View attachment 33469

Congrats on your commitment. You are a great example for people who actually need to cold call or do active sales to sell their services.

Anyways, what is F1 esports exactly? I gave it a look and can't believe it's an actual thing.
Haven't been checking out videogames in a while but that seems unbelievable lol

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Are you saying there's a shortage of cleaners?
Too many clients not enough maids.
Why is there a shortage?

How long would it take you to build a website to attract would-be maids?
Referrals, directory, agency, just thinking out loud here.

Solve Mr Rich Guy's & others problems.

Not just maids. It's mostly office, apartment block and warehouse cleaning here.

The insufficient workforce is due to C0VlD-19. Unlike one of our forum members @GravyBoat who mostly cleans homeowners' houses, the cleaning here is mainly commercial and subscription based.

And since many businesses had closed until further notice, there was/is less demand for cleaning services. You've got 10 people on payroll with your small cleaning company, then 6-7, now since the demand is up again you're thinking of increasing your amount of employees again rather than attracting new clients. At least that's what I've personally gathered, everyone I've spoken to so far has given a different reason/excuse.

I did make a page for my cleaning company client's site for maids and optimized it. It's a a new service that he and I talked about that should help his business' growth.

Congrats on your commitment. You are a great example for people who actually need to cold call or do active sales to sell their services.

Anyways, what is F1 esports exactly? I gave it a look and can't believe it's an actual thing.
Haven't been checking out videogames in a while but that seems unbelievable lol

Thanks, I keep telling myself I'm not doing nearly enough. But when I push myself too hard on the cold calls in a single day I sometimes get physical symptoms due to my health history. I'm trying to adapt so this isn't an excuse or a factor at all.

F1 eSports has been the only F1 so far this year. Half of the official F1 drivers are competing on the same game, mostly friendly races but they began taking it seriously. F1 eSports has seen significant growth in 2018 and 2019 but this year has been crazy due to the coronavirus. I'm not a stocks guy but shares have probably gone 1000-2000% due to the official (and past legends) driver participation - Charles Leclerc, Sebastian Vettel, Lando Norris, Juan Pablo Montoya, Fernando Alonso, Emerson Fittipaldi and etc.

Update on today's calls:
I called the numbers and got ahold of 3 people on the phone.

2 politely refused after we talked for a minute or so.

1 was a kind lady that I managed to woo. She was laughing and smiling over the phone and letting me know some INSIDERS info about the company.

It was a cleaning company that isn't a cleaning company anymore - they've gone on to sell sanitary products and etc in both physical and online stores.

I asked her (even though I knew the answer) if she was the one making the decisions for this sort of thing in the company. She said that would be her boss so I asked for his number and name. She happily gave them to me. I said I'll call him on Monday and thanked her by name.

End of day 15.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Thinking about offering results through Google Ads to my past and future clients. I'd like to make use of my extensive Facebook Ads experience and apply it to my current hustle, and besides, a lot of people have been asking me about it over the phone.

I took a peak at Google Ads for the first time last night. As expected, very similar to Facebook Ads, I watched a few videos on keywords and how they work, though I already had an idea.

My plan is to help my cleaning company client run some Google Ads and see if I get him good results (like 5-10x ROI) and then use those results and newfound confidence for future clients.

My only dilemma is whether to ask for payment or just focus on helping him and gaining experience. Perhaps a "1 month free then X amount after we're getting results" sort of thing for him. I'm sure he would be down because he shared how he's sick (high bp, on cancer treatment and etc) and almost broke down while telling me how his dream is to buy a house in the countryside and be at peace with his wife.

Thought he did say he has a problem with "being with just one woman" and confessed he's been very unfaithful to his wife. Regardless, I'd like to help him get there, create a website and add it as a success story along with the ROI, etc to showcase to my future prospects.

@Andy Black Oh, wise one, your advice would be very appreciated. Especially on ad spend and bidding. Nobody is running ads in the city and the area for his niche (I mean, we're in Bulgaria after all but it still rather surprising) so what would be the minimum spend we can do since there's no competition?

Like if he's spending a dollar a day and there's no competition, would his ad be up there for his niche keywords as much as it would be if he's spending $10 or $100?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.