• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

INTRO 20 Years Old from the UK

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by twj97, Aug 29, 2018.

1. twj97

twj97 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    Hi All,

I've been lurking around the Fastlane Forum for a while now and felt now was probably the best time to introduce myself.

I'm 20 years old (soon to be 21) from the UK and have been hugely impacted by MJ and the Fastlane book over the last few years. I was given the book by my brother around 3 years ago while I was attending college, studying my A-Levels and preparing for University. Once I read The Fastlane Millionaire everything changed. College wasn't interesting and University wasn't what I wanted anymore (not that either was anyway). I always felt I was going for the wrong reasons anyway, going for the nights out and partying rather than the degree and studying sides of it.

I was attending college to read books rather than doing the work I was required. I ended up failing my A-Levels and coming away from college not knowing what was next. All my friends went off to university or got a job, while I had no idea what to do.

In the meantime, I would get by financially through buying and selling limited clothing and trainers/sneakers which I have been doing since around the age of 13 (a whole different story of how I got into this, which I believe contributes to why I had a lack of confidence to post this before). I still buy and sell these pieces now, making around £600-£800 profit a month, depending on what releases and the quantities they release. Definitely violates the control and scale part of the CENTS commandments.

I ended up getting a summer job at a smart footwear shop locally after being recommended by a friend that they had opportunities available. After around 2 months I was let go as this was only for the summer. My brother then offered me the opportunity to work on an idea he had come up with. I was over the moon; about to embark on my Fastlane journey and strive for that 'passive' income.

All started well. I learned how to code, read more books and articles about business and couldn't wait to launch our idea. But things quickly began to change. My relationship with my brother was slowly going downhill. Me and my girlfriend who I've been with since the age of 15 (and still with now) was being severely tested and my mom was struggling with what we were doing. No income, no product launched after over a year of working on it and relationships were suffering. Everything seemed tough, especially being only 18/19, looking back now, mentally I wasn't prepared.

I decided to come away from the product. Not knowing what was next. My closest friends were at university and my girlfriend was preparing for here movement their also. I felt alone and lost.

After a month or so doing nothing, one of my friends (one that hadn't moved) told me of a part-time vacancy going at his store over Christmas, which involved bringing in Christmas deliveries. How I hated that job, still to this day I'm not sure how I did it, thankfully it was only for 2 months.

While I was there I was told about a web development job by someone I played football/soccer with. It was at an insurance company, about a 10-minute drive (I was a bit sceptical when an insurance was hiring developers also). I never considered a job from the coding skills I learned. Having taught myself I never felt I was good enough to get a job doing this, always having the perspective you needed a degree to pursuit a career as a web developer. Why not just apply, what’s the worst that could happen? I got the job in January of this year and I'm still hear now. I got a small pay rise after 3 months and I've learned more about coding than I perhaps I couldn't teach myself. The company is a tight company, everyone seems to know everyone’s business and I got offered for a fight by one of the directors on a works night out (long story but we’re good now, however it made me a lot more aware of the people I was working with).

You'd think this job was perfect and I enjoy it. Which it was and I did for the first few months. But the question 'is this my life for the next 40/50 years?' keeps looming over me. After I finished reading unscripted a few months back, the concept of time > money has stuck with me, I want more from life.

I'm in quite a fortunate position to be honest. I have no debts, only car insurance and a phone bill to pay. My parents don't make me pay rent and I paid for my car in full (it only cost £1000, but it certainly does the job). I still buy and sell as a side hustle, but its difficult to expand from that 600-800 mark, so I class it more as a hobby.

My next steps? I plan to get ‘something’ in place while I still work this job, so I’m then able to move on and achieve what I really want to in life. What that is? I’m not too sure, I’m just trying to figure a few things out at the moment.

I know my writing isn't the best and I apologies if there is any poor grammar and for it being one of the lengthier introductions, I could go into more detail about certain topics but there’s only so much reading you can do. But once again thank you to MJ for the books and thank you to the community for the valuable information this forum brings and I hope we can grow together. If you have any questions or want to know anything else just let me know I'm more than happy to help

TJ

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. Merrick247

Merrick247 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $31
    Hey man, I'm from the UK and around your age so thought I'd give this intro a read. How are you wokring on getting to those next steps you spoke of?

Also, I've just started to teach myself how to code. Seen as you have gone from that to being employed as a web developer - do you have any tips you could share?

jick5555 likes this.
  3. twj97

twj97 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    I have a few idea's in mind that I want to focus on and see how they work out. I suppose being so young it's comes down to trial and error.

Regarding teaching myself how to code, the best resource I used was Start Learning at Treehouse for Free, it does cost per month but was definitely where I learn't the majority of what I know.

4. Merrick247

Merrick247 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $31
    yes I’m sure it will be down to that, but that’s the good thing about being this age, we have the time for failures to learn from.

And thanks, I’ll defini check that website out.

5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,701
    Admin Post
    You're welcome! Appreciate the intro TJ, hope to see more of ya here!

twj97 likes this.
  6. Thomas Chauvet

Thomas Chauvet Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $754
    Welcome,

Hope we'll hear more of you and your progress. You should probably get a look on the SaaS topic and biophase's posts if you didn't yet.

twj97 likes this.
  7. twj97

twj97 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    Thanks Thomas.

Yes, I've already been through a few of biophase's thread, he provides some great value and knowledge within each one. I plan on looking more into the Saas topic.

Thomas Chauvet likes this.
  8. twj97

twj97 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    Not been active on this post as much as I'd like, but thought I'd drop a small update.

I handed in my resignation at my work ready to go fulltime buying and selling, even against the criticism of family and friends. Now was the best time.

My company were eager not to let me go due to developers being hard to come by in my area. So we come to an agreement of myself working parttime 3 days a week. This gives me the opportunity to earn a small income in the meantime.

Going 3 days a week gives me the ability to attend in store releases etc for the products I want and give more freedom.

Will try and provide further updates more regularly about my progress

MakeItHappen, Roli and Andy Black like this.
  9. Thomas Chauvet

Thomas Chauvet Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $754
    Hey,

Great idea. This is will give you a safe base, avoiding much stress, and still provide you an amazing amount of time for working on your fastlane project.

When I finish my training I plan to do the same (I can't reduce now). To me, the most important thing is not how fast you go in a short time, but your average speed (check James Clear's post about it, it is a great insight) ! Anyway if you're serious about this, you're in for a long time, and with this decision you're definitely making progress.

Just wanted to tell how much I think this is a great decision !

Thomas

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

twj97 likes this.
  10. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $187,653
    Nice. I was on 3 day contracts for a few years as I transitioned to fully self-employed.

Thomas Chauvet and twj97 like this.
  11. twj97

twj97 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    Really appreciate your response.

I had a gut feeling that I had to do it now, else I would of regretted it and looking back it's the best decision I've made. Just the feeling of having some control and freedom has made a huge difference to my happiness.

Will give James Clear's post a read asap, don't think I've come across it and I really hope it work's out for you when you decide to make that change.

Thomas Chauvet likes this.
  12. Stargazer

Stargazer Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,423
    Good Evening

Welcome to the Forum. Where in the UK are you?

Dan

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  13. twj97

twj97 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    West Midlands, not too far from Birmingham

What about yourself?

Roli likes this.
  14. HG123

HG123 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $141
    Hey twj97, fellow UK'r here.

Welcome and well done for handing in your resignation. One of my biggest regrets was not doubling down on my entrepreneurial venture when I was around your age. It takes a lot of guts and maturity to make the decision you have in the face of judgement from your loved ones - this one thing cripples many and leads them down an unfulfilling life.

Onwards and upwards from here!

twj97 likes this.
  15. Stevebaros

Stevebaros PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    wonderful

16. Akeem

Akeem Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $638
    Hey twj97,

I was originally going to just say hello, share my 2 cents and leave, but it appears you might just be from the same city as me, that's crazy. The UK really is a small place lol.

After reading your posts, some of the parts really hit home. If you're ever looking for any opportunities to make some new friends or learn a few new skills, throw me a message, I think we're probably like 5 minutes away from each other.

I used to do web design and development, but moved onto software in general since starting university as it seems a few local businesses nearby much preferred me taking over their entire IT infrastructure rather than just the website. I think as a web developer, you sometimes forget the world doesn't revolve around websites, at least not for local businesses. I was meaning to ask, what company are you working under at the moment? Local business or large company?

twj97 likes this.
  17. twj97

twj97 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    Hi Akeem,

It would be great to talk, very rare you find someone with such a similar mindset so close to home.

One of the reasons I had to change my current situation is most definitely to find new opportunities. Since taking up this job, I lost the drive and ambition I had before I started, for example teaching myself to code and wanting to create something to provide freedom and happiness.

I currently work for a local insurance company, developing the system that the staff use in order to receive leads and get quotes etc. It was a great first job, I'd be lying if I said otherwise. However, since being there I've lost my passion to code, working on one system day in, day out, 9 till 5 has really sucked out the enjoyment I had for coding beforehand. It's definitely not the kind of coding job you can get in London or perhaps in the centre of Birmingham.

Roli likes this.
  18. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,577
    Ding! Ding! Ding! That's the sound of the opportunity alarm bell ringing... Is there any way for you to make that process easier?

If you could, everyone in the area who needs developers, will come to you ££££

19. twj97

twj97 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    Wow...

This just proves their's always opportunities in front of you and you don't even realise, thank you!

Roli likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.