The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

17 yrs old just sold 1 million

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
I found this interesting that he thought of such a simple idea, then did 6 months of research before executing and now selling over 1 million in "just" custom socks.

High schooler sells $1 million in custom socks

"
Brennan Agranoff is a 17-year-old with a lot on his plate.
The high-school junior balances homework with another full-time job he's had since he was 13: He's founder and CEO of HoopSwagg, a custom socks startup.

HoopSwagg isn't just a little project on the side for this teenager. In four years, Agranoff has grown his idea to make custom-design athletic socks into a profitable online-only business with annual sales of more than $1 million."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Interesting story. Good for him. I do find the story lack in details (par for the course).

It is interesting that he still plans to go to college. Makes me chuckle. The Script still embedded?

Also, this disclaimer on the bottom of the website...
"This process is not approved by Nike. Nike Swoosh and Nike name are registered trademarks of Nike, Inc. We are an independent customization website not affiliated with Nike, Inc"

I genuinely wonder if he could be issued a cease and desist by Nike.

G

GuestUser450

I do find the story lack in details
Like you said, to be expected - glosses over the dad who owns a marketing company, free labor from friends, what they used to acquire the "competitor" (which is kinda funny - that's like one teespring shop buying another), etc.

Super smart on their part, there's a million of these online - but now his has a grassroots/underdog/kidpreneur angle that people love to share.

I genuinely wonder if he could be issued a cease and desist by Nike.
Unlikely. The nike elite sock thing has been around for years - Nike sold it to the reseller he buys from so the disclaimer is probably all they need.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Like you said, to be expected - glosses over the dad who owns a marketing company, free labor from friends, what they used to acquire the "competitor" (which is kinda funny - that's like one teespring shop buying another), etc.
Ha. I didn't have the time to dig further but knew there would be more to the story. Got links to the additional info?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sometimes I wonder if there is just an adult behind the scenes who puts their kid in as a prop so they can get millions in free publicity using the "16 year old has $2M business!" angle.

G

GuestUser450

Got links to the additional info?
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to troll or take anything from the kid - I hope he sells millions on his own, without his parent's help.

It's just habit now to flash-search linkedin, google news, wayback and the serps past page 10 when I see these articles -

The dad's(Brian) marketing company and the hoopswagg employees are on linkedin
Google news shows little before this PR push, but there's shipstation and terapeak articles that differ in the "acquisition" story
Their site isn't listed in shopify's hosting directory (maybe they just switched) but at least 5 other nike elite sock stores are (they could all be doing well, I suppose)
Typical low quality SEO links like Prezi
Etc.

All of it together paints a different picture. Again, not trying to pull at the threads, it just bothers me when they play the kid card.

No one does it alone, but coming from nothing vs having parents that fund you is very different and I'd question that narrative in the marketing material.

Last edited by a moderator:

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I would imagine that he starts seeing some loot and spends it all. Making a million is worthless unless you have the big (unscripted ) picture in mind.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Sometimes I wonder if there is just an adult behind the scenes who puts their kid in as a prop so they can get millions in free publicity using the "16 year old has $2M business!" angle.

This just in:

My 2 year old started an importing business. She's got a container on the way!

Child Prodigy!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Still better than kids who have it all, but do shit with their resources (think drunk driving, pre-marital sex and drugs)
Publicity is very temporary, unless followed by a value-giving process.
I like it that the guy used what relationships he had on hand. Some folks just hide in a corner and cry for their mummy, blaming the government for taking away their riches. :rofl::rofl::rofl::devil:

The same mentality can be applied whether you have $900 bucks on hand or a dusty laptop, or $1 million in funding.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
amazing how early some get started... i had no clue at that age.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.