The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

17 Year old who needs a DBA

Jake Studebaker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jan 5, 2017
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Hey guys, so I am in Tai Lopez's Social Media Marketing Agency course and I am well on my way to getting my agency off the ground. However, I need a DBA and I have a few issues.
1) I am only 17. I don't know if there is an age limit for a DBA like there is an LLC but if there is am I old enough?
2) South Carolina (The state I live in) has no DBA registrations, you have to already have a LLC or corporation in order to get a DBA, so can I get one in another state and just apply it everywhere here?
3) I am too young to enter a contractual, binding, agreement so are there any alternatives that I can apply so I can ensure payment from clients?

Thank you all so much for your time and help

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX
Hey guys, so I am in Tai Lopez's Social Media Marketing Agency course and I am well on my way to getting my agency off the ground. However, I need a DBA and I have a few issues.
1) I am only 17. I don't know if there is an age limit for a DBA like there is an LLC but if there is am I old enough?
2) South Carolina (The state I live in) has no DBA registrations, you have to already have a LLC or corporation in order to get a DBA, so can I get one in another state and just apply it everywhere here?
3) I am too young to enter a contractual, binding, agreement so are there any alternatives that I can apply so I can ensure payment from clients?

Why are you worrying about a DBA at this stage?

I would focus on getting clients first. After money starts coming in then focus on the LLC/DBA.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Ask Tai.

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA

1. Some states don't specify an age requirement for any member of an LLC. If they did, it would be that the organizer is required to be 18 while other members could be minors.

2. You can register in any state that lets minors do so. However, you will need to register as a foreign entity in the state you reside and are doing all your work from (even if you don't have a physical shop and you're just working from the library on public computers) - if you want to be legit. I'm not a corp expert, but these are the things I learned when doing a lot of research for myself.

3. I am not a lawyer, but I have heard this said before about minors & contracts: "Minors, in some cases can enter into contract. However, a contract cannot be enforced AGAINST a minor." Maybe research it from this perspective to see what you find. Otherwise, set up incremental pay milestones. Small increments so if they do screw you over, you're not out a whole week of work; just a day or two.

18 comes fast, you'll be there before you know it. I would focus on ramping up customers first right now or whatever else you can do to strengthen your reputation. Maybe give away some freebies to people that could become good paying customers if they're happy with your service.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.