• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

GOLD! 15 Days to Freedom - Make Money Copywriting in 15 Days or Less

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Lex DeVille, Apr 2, 2015.

1. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,509
    Here is a tool I found to write headlines. It also has tabs for tweets and emails. It counts the number of characters you use and the guide at top tells you whether you fall into the ideal, ok, or bad range. There are already pre-filled headlines that are shaded. All you have to do is write your headlines over them.

25 Headlines

Lex DeVille likes this.
  2. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,509
    Just finished Day 12 challenge. Here is what I got. Feedback welcomed.

5 headlines that target pain and pleasure:

1. How To Get Rock Hard Abs In 3 Weeks

2. Make An Extra $1000 A Month From Home

3. Take Your Family On Vacation On A Low Budget

4. 5 Secrets To Growing Bigger Buds On Your Cannabis Plants

5. Master The Art Of Seduction: Get The Woman Of Your Dreams!

1. Avoid These Financial Mistakes In Your 20s

2. Follow These Simple Tips To Avoid Getting Sued

3. 5 Effective Tips To Save Your Marriage

4. How To Stop Getting Rejected By Women
    5. How Important Is Your Family's Security?

Short story that targets pain and pleasure:

“These days I enjoy the freedom of not having to answer to a boss. I am in the best shape of my life and I have the woman of my dreams. But it wasn’t always this way…

About 5 years ago, I was at a low paying job, broke, and all alone. My life consisted of waking up early, going to a job I hated, and then spending the evening eating to escape. And women? They wouldn’t even look at me. I knew that my life was on a crash course with misery and I needed to switch direction. I made a decision that I would do whatever it took to change my life.

I learned life was nothing more than a game. And in order to create wealth, health, and happiness, I had to learn this game well.

Do you think those that are successful are this way by accident? No! They learned the models and formulas to create these realities. They had a vision.

Success does not happen by accident. And if you don’t know where you’re going, any road will get you there…

Over the course of two years, I studied the choices and habits of the most successful people. I worked my a$$ off to make my dreams a reality. And in the end, it was worth it because I was able to control my own destiny.”

Lex DeVille and Jello like this.
  3. Micahbiz

Micahbiz New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $86
    Hey Lex, I'm interested in getting started copywriting but I don't really have much experience at all, I have a couple books on it and one course. I'm worried that if I just make an upwork account I have no portfolio or ''killer skillz'' yet so I A.) won't get clients or B.) I will get clients but I'll suck at first, get bad reviews and maybe kicked off upwork. I've been putting off taking action and instead have just studied. Should I just suck it up and get started or practice for a couple months then make an upwork account?

Lex DeVille likes this.
  4. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,917
    hmm...I think you know the answer if you're honest with yourself. What happens if you practice for a couple months, get on Upwork, and still don't get clients? Or you get clients and find out you still suck? Then you've wasted more months than you would have in the first place.

Getting clients on Upwork has nothing to do with your skill level. It has everything to do with your ability to read their job post, figure out what they need help with, and what they want from a freelancer, and then explain how you are that thing in your response.

The key to getting good reviews is open communication with clients. If you pick up gigs that are looking for an expert when that's not you, of course you'll get poor feedback. But that assumes you'd get hired in the first place, and people looking for pros usually don't hire amateurs because they can tell the difference.

If you apply to gigs that are looking for newbies, and you let them know your skill level up front, then why would they leave bad feedback at the end? You don't win Upwork by being the best [insert whatever skill]. You win by learning to manage client expectations and growing through battled-tested, real-world experience over theory.

5. Micahbiz

Micahbiz New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $86
    You are totally right, thank you.

Lex DeVille likes this.
  6. Varun

Varun Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $247
    Lex, do you have any advice for someone just starting out with content marketing? I've already started writing posts, but I want to improve. The issue is that without feedback, it is slightly more difficult.

For example... I want to make sure my writing is extremely targeted and focused. Right now it is about 80% content and 20% fluff. But getting feedback like this without traffic is tough.

Anything I can do apart from your exercises in this thread and reading cashvertising?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Lex DeVille likes this.
  7. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,917
    The best way to improve with content is direct market feedback. So I'd start by getting that content in front of people. And that would probably start with the following questions:

- Where is my target audience at online? Where do they hang out?
    - What blogs or other content producers do they already follow?
    - How else can I write for that audience?

You can write your own blogs and take them to reddit, or Facebook or wherever your target audience hangs out. Engage the community a bit. Then share your article at some point and note what they say in response. This feedback usually gives huge insight about what they want less of and more of from your writing.

If you know what blogs they follow, you should follow those blogs too. Read articles that target a similar audience as you. Pay attention to articles that have a lot of views and comments. Those articles engaged the audience. Pay attention to the structure of the article. How was it set up? What topics did it cover? What made it controversial or conversation worthy?

Finally, you could head over to the freelance platforms like Upwork and see if anyone is already producing content for your niche. Apply to those gigs and learn from someone else's process. If the client has been doing it a while they'll know what their market wants and they'll explain it to you so you can deliver it for them. Then you can write it and let them publish it. This way you'll get feedback and get paid at the same time.

As far as general writing improvement goes, I really like the book The Cheater's Guide to Erotic Romance. It's designed for romance writers, but covers a lot of material that's relevant to all writers. For instance, the order of operations for getting a spoonful of soup from the bowl to your mouth in a logical order that doesn't confuse the reader.

Hopefully this answers your question, but if not, let me know and I'll go a little deeper into it.

Varun and rogue synthetic like this.
  8. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $164,790
    This is what I’ve found personally. If you forget about “content marketing” and just “help people” then everything seems to fall into place.

9. Dianne Cohen

Dianne Cohen New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    Here are a couple that I came up with. Love to here what you all think.

Still Renting? That Sucks!

Why are You Still Renting?

STILL RENTING? WHY?

STOP RENTING!

DEAD END LEADS!

Want Good Quality Leads?

Just Want Your Child Happy Again?

Got Rid of 50 Years of Anxiety in a Month…

After 50 Years, No More Anxiety.

ANXIETIES MAGIC CURE!

Double Your Business in an Hour a Week!

Too Much to Do? Get Releif!

Got to Get Out of Your Business?

Your Business is Killing You?

The Ugly Secrets of Being in Business.

Is My Child Safe at School?

What’s Going on in That DayCare?

Lex DeVille likes this.
  10. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,917
    The best of these is the first one. Since you put it first, I'll wager you thought the same. None of the others really hit the mark. They're too weak. The first one targets the renter and their pain. It hints that you have a solution to a problem they haven't figured out how to solve.

Neither of these really do it for me. The first one isn't clear about who you're targeting or what the problem you solve is. The second one is too bland. Reads like a template landing page with stock copy.

This one is good. Speaks to your target market. Targets a specific, painful problem.

The first one is the best here. I might extend it with "How I Got Rid of 50 Years of Anxiety in a Month"

The second one is okay, but falls a little flat for me. The third one seems incomplete and incorrectly spelled.

The first one is the best. Targets business owners who need more customers.

Second one has incorrect spelling and feels like a mix between a productivity problem and a stomach ache.

"Relief" isn't the proper word here. You would need to replace it with something more fitting such as, "Help" or "Assistance." Even then the headline comes up short because there's no suggestions of what that "relief" is or how it is easy enough for a busy person use.

I'd reword the third one so it's more impactful. "4 Steps to Eject from Your Business without Catastrophic Loss"

The 4th one is too weak. It doesn't hint at any solution. Just feels like a question.

The 5th one is close to being good. Needs a little more specificity in the targeting. "The Ugly Secrets of The Tuna Industry," or "Ugly Secrets of the Restaurant Business"

These are both good article headlines. They feel like headlines I'd read on the evening news.

NewManRising and Andy Black like this.
  11. NewManRising

Rep Bank:
    $1,509
    Hi Lex,

I am working on my Upwork profile and I wanted to know if you could include an example of a "picture" sample for us. I watched your Upwork/Odesk profile video in your Raw Reviews thread and was curious what this looks like. Do you literally taking a photo from, say, your cellphone? Or a screenshot on your PC?

12. Varun

Rep Bank:
    $247
    Yeah, I recently read the Chasing a cat vs Attracting a cat thread as well.

The thing is, I was asking how to be very specific for this very reason. I don't want fluff at all. Seems part of that is figuring out EXACTLY what the people need.

Edit: Just reading the 'help people' post in your signature. Excellent tips there..!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  13. Varun

Rep Bank:
    $247
    Thank you for the detailed help Lex. I've started answering questions on Quora, going to write something on Medium too in a while. Once I've got a few answers in, I'll start sharing my site there.

Also going to go to other content based affiliates and see what they're doing. I went to reddit, but my niche is in the fitness industry, and the subreddits have very well defined rules against that. But this information has been very helpful.

14. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $164,790
    Maybe listen to the 300 surveys call in my signature.

15. NewManRising

Rep Bank:
    $1,509
    Hey Lex (or anyone else is free to answer),

I started on Upwork and already did a few jobs. But, now I am getting a little annoyed with a guy on there. He contracted me to write two (2) 500 word blog articles. He gave me the topics. And he wanted it in less than 24 hours. I got it done but the second article was a little rushed. The thing is, the guy gives no guidance at all. I even asked numerous questions.

He doesn't tell you what kind of tone or style he wants, doesn't explain anything about citing any sources, etc. And the topics require a bunch of research. Anyway, the first milestone he set was for $5 for the 2 articles. Since I am new I didn't care about the price. Yesterday he wanted two (2) more articles but this time 700 words. Again, he gives the topic but no direction.

The thing is, I know what he is doing. He is basically a middle man that is making money off sites selling them blog posts and paying writers to do it for him for really cheap. I don't really care at this time because I want the experience and feedback. However, I don't want to be locked into this gig for weeks or months. Writing these articles, that require a bunch of research, takes up almost my whole day. And I can't get anything else done. He wasn't even closed the first contract yet that pays me the $5. He also gave no feedback on the articles so I don't even know if he likes it or wants it changed. But the thing is, I think he wants me to pump out 2 articles a day for him for weeks or months. I want to tell him that after these 2 articles I write I am going to move on. But what I don't know is how this will affect my feedback.

1. If you cancel a contract can they leave feedback (curious because they might leave negative feedback).
    2. Have any of you been in a similar situation and wanted out? How did you go about ending it?

I am just trying to end it but without any negative feedback. Since he hasn't closed/confirmed the first milestone of 2 articles for $5, would canceling the contract cause me to lose this money and a feedback?

My ideal solution would be to tell him I want to move on and get paid for what I have done and get a feedback out of it.

16. Fenom21

Fenom21 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    Day 2 Challenge - STOP Headlines

Here goes...

1 - FOOTFALL INTO SALES
    2 - Slash Your Post Workout Recovery With These 6 Surprising Steps
    3 - Millions Are Making Money Online - Read This
    4 - Bitcoin Blood Bath? What The Bears Aren't Telling You...
    5 - 3 DAYS! Unreal Cognitive Skills

NewManRising likes this.
  17. NewManRising

Rep Bank:
    $1,509
    Finished day 13. I've attached my TV commercial script. Feedback welcome.

Attached Files:

18. NewManRising

Rep Bank:
    $1,509
    Here is my day 14 exercise piece. I decided to write a direct response copy and just tried to let it flow without judging it too hard. I tried to have fun with it and not worry about the rules or techniques so much.

Grow MONSTER BUDS On Your Cannabis Plants THIS HARVEST

For the first time ever, I am revealing my secret to growing MONSTER BUDS

I have developed and optimized a technique that has made cannabis farming a lot more fun and profitable.

I recently shared this technique with a few master growers and they are stoked at the results they are seeing already mid-season!

And the best part is….

It doesn’t cost you any extra money nor is any extra work required!

So, what exactly is this secret?

It is a blueprint from seed to harvest that details optimum growing conditions to getting the most out of your strain’s genetic potential.

When I compared cannabis strains grown with this method and those without, the results were jaw-dropping.

I have tested this method on dozens of strains and have consistently gotten the same results.

You'll learn how to...

· Pick the best seeds or clones for growing MONSTER plants

· Use the best growing conditions at each growing stage

· Use My secret tip for doubling the size of your buds

· Know when it’s the best time to harvest

· Use the best drying and storing methods

· Save money and optimize your system

And the best part is…

I am giving this info away for FREE.

I am only giving away 100 of these as I don’t want this secret to get out to too many people.

Think about what this could do for your business…

· Increase profits

· Save time and money

· Impress your friends

· Expand your business

· Dominate the market

If this sounds like the kind of

future you want for

your business...

Click HERE for MONSTER BUDS

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  19. CigarMan

CigarMan Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $313
    C'mon... none of you can be making money doing this?

20. NewManRising

Rep Bank:
    $1,509
    I've made a little. But I am backing off a little to think more about my strategy. I want to think about what it is I enjoy writing and for what niche.

21. Fenom21

Fenom21 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    Day 3

HORRENDOUS NIGHT’S SLEEP?

When it comes to catching your nightly Zs, quality is just as key as quantity. Research proves that sleep quality, or the lack thereof, affects your health, work and personal relationships.

So why compromise?

We’ve been making mattresses for over 26 years, and we are the market leader for bedtime comfort. Our state of the art foam tech is designed to change your life.

Don’t compromise. Visit one of our stores today.

London’s Premier Cleaners – As You've Got Better Things To Do!

Too tight for time but not toooo tight for a FRESH living space?

You're either trying to meet big deadlines OR you’re recovering from one! It’s a tough slog being a young pro in the city - spending your days cleaning just isn’t a priority nor is it time efficient.

But imagine getting a little help – hassle free, professional and PROMISED freshness every week!

Call us before Wednesday to book a slot this week.

IT’S ALIVE! Phone Revival NOT Miracles

“My phone’s official repair shop told me it could not be fixed, but Rev My Fone have restored it to almost brand new! It’s a miracle!”

Or is it?

Cracked screen? Water damage? Or a simple dead battery? We’ve seen it AND fixed it. Costly and short term solutions are everywhere, we don’t have to tell you.

Don’t delay, visit us today and get some HONEST guidance on your device.

22. calm

calm New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $85
    Thank you so much for your time to share this amazing posts. @Lex DeVille
    Thank you again.

Lex DeVille likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.