The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

14 y/o Sells Goat For Profit, What's Your Excuse?

Anything related to matters of the mind

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
My younger brother called me up today and told me he is saving up for a new PC. He is currently learning Unity Game Engine and needs a faster computer.

I gave him a few ideas, find what people are looking for on Craigslist and either find what they need or buy it and sell. I also told him if he gets a business to buy a website from me I'll give him %20.

So what does he do? He buys and sells a goat.

Yes. A goat.

He found a listing of a family new to farming wanting a goat. He also found a listing of someone needed to get rid of their goat ASAP because they are moving.

He doesn't even tell anyone, he just calls up the people with the goat. They say they can sell today. He then calls the people looking for a goat, they will buy today.

He goes into the next room and tells my mom, "Hey, I need $50 out of my bank to buy a goat." He then explains what he is doing. She thinks its hilarious and drives him to the bank then to the goat.

He gets there and buys the goat from the people. They put the goat in a big dog kennel and drive to the buyers.

He gets there, sells the goat for $175 bucks.

$125 from selling a damn goat on Craiglist. And that's not even the end.

He nails a $1,200 mobile site in a 15 minute call when he gets home. Calls up business after business, no deal. On the 17th call he gets the owner on the phone and gives his pitch. The owner says that his son is building a site for him. He asks if it will be mobile friendly. The guy says hold on, comes back and says no. He tells him that people with cell phones will never find his business unless they are at home and if they do they won't be able to read it. (I have a sales sheet and script that I used for web sales before that he is using.) The guy asks his son if he can do mobile friendly, he says no. Tells my brother to send him an invoice and example of what the site would look like.

I used his logo to make a quick sample of a mobile site. He wants the site and is sending me the info for content right now.

This all comes back to @zen******* 's advice that I passed on to my brother, Pick up the phone. At first he wanted to email the people or leave a message. I told him you will most likely never see these people, and you have money to make from it. He hung up and started dialing.

Now I have to learn from him and next time I don't feel like calling someone ever again I know my 14 year old brother closed a cold call in 15 minutes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
What a boss! :tiphat: I tip my hat...lol

You need to invite him onto the forum and have him read MJ's book eventually.
I gave him my extra copy that I got from becoming an INSIDERS. He's reading it now, along with The 4-Hour Work Week.

He is so excited now. He was blown away that he could make $240 bucks just by making a phone call. Everyone else told him to do chores, sell lemonade, wait for his birthday but he took action and got a bigger commission than some adults do.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
What a boss! :tiphat: I tip my hat...lol

You need to invite him onto the forum and have him read MJ's book eventually.
Lol this is what I love about kids they don't hesitate and scare away from things their naivety is something I often wish I had.

I gave him my extra copy that I got from becoming an INSIDERS. He's reading it now, along with The 4-Hour Work Week.

He is so excited now. He was blown away that he could make $240 bucks just by making a phone call. Everyone else told him to do chores, sell lemonade, wait for his birthday but he took action and got a bigger commission than some adults do.
Lol honestly I was crossed between laughing and big time amused. A goat? Imagine in 10-15 years if he becomes a huge success. So what was your first deal.. Well I sold a goat
Congratulations and it looks like he will do well with a brother like yourself mentoring him!

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA

Nice, that's being a great bro there! I tip my hat again lol :tiphat:

I think it would also be a good idea for him to look for more to sell while his excitement is high. Man my bros aren't interested in business or even much personal development. That's where communities like this forum come in though, MJ's addressing a want/need (that pays :greedy:).

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I have to say the same. I would laugh to if my son asked me for $50 to go buy a goat! Turn around and sell it! :)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Lol honestly I was crossed between laughing and big time amused. A goat? Imagine in 10-15 years if he becomes a huge success. So what was your first deal.. Well I sold a goat
I was dying laughing when I got the FaceTime call from my mom and him about the goat. The goat thing would make a great book title later on for him. Haha

I think it would also be a good idea for him to look for more to sell while his excitement is high.
He is already making a list of businesses without websites. I showed him how to find the business owners name before he makes the call.

I have to say the same. I would laugh to if my son asked me for $50 to go buy a goat! Turn around and sell it! :)
Right?! Of all the things. I was expecting him to sell games or something. He just went with the first thing he could.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Thats whats absolute Gold about it. Majority of the people on this thread would have passed on the Goat.

What did he actually facetime you with the Goat? Lol
Sorry have to post this
FLOATS+YOUR+GOAT+AHA+I.jpg

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Thats whats absolute Gold about it. Majority of the people on this thread would have passed on the Goat.

What did he actually facetime you with the Goat? Lol
Sorry have to post this
FLOATS+YOUR+GOAT+AHA+I.jpg
LOL. That would have been pure gold. No just after he sold it.

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains
I don't know why, but this thread title made me laugh so hard. The next time I hear someone whining, I'm just going to say "A 14 year just sold a goat, bro. What's your excuse?"

Props to your brother on his hustle. And to you for being a good role modle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.