The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$13M Bank Statement left in Cafe with message

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AcquireCurrency

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 20, 2011
bank-statement.JPG

EDIT:

The guy posted another to prove he is legit

82d2bd38a647742e8a6dfd91fbad89eb.jpeg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MNentre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Dec 11, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Wow, that is badass! And on top of that, he just deposited 345k!

Where is this from? I like how its a recent picture and not something from 4-5 years ago..

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
To those not wanting to squint:

The secret to happiness is freedom.
This, right here, is freedom.

The secret to freedom is courage. All of your dreams can come true if you have the COURAGE to PURSUE them. RID your life of distractions, DON'T focus on relationships, thats a big one. DON'T listen to the people who say stop. Just focus on YOU and your BUSINESS.

Everything else can come later, as it's easier to get later than THIS.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I was in a sales training yesterday and a speaker said there are some people who sit in a corner with their arms open waiting for their dreams to run to them. As if their dreams say "I know you've been waiting for me, here I am". He said this is not the way dreams work. In most cases, your dreams may meet you half way and then you have to have the will to walk toward them.

I believe this reality helps each of us honor our dreams when we achieve them.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Who the hell keeps 12 million in cash sitting in a bank; thats wasted value. Let alone leaving your statement laying around for all to see.

Mr. Buffett, the world’s most successful (and richest) value investor, is sitting on almost $41-billion (U.S.) of cash at his Berkshire Hathaway holding company, the most in a year.

“He thinks of cash differently than conventional investors,” Ms. Schroeder says. “This is one of the most important things I learned from him: the optionality of cash. He thinks of cash as a call option with no expiration date, an option on every asset class, with no strike price.

It is a pretty fundamental insight. Because once an investor looks at cash as an option – in essence, the price of being able to scoop up a bargain when it becomes available – it is less tempting to be bothered by the fact that in the short term, it earns almost nothing.

Suddenly, an investor’s asset allocation decisions are not simply between earning nothing in cash and earning something in bonds or stocks. The key question becomes: How much can the cash earn if I have it when I need it to buy other assets that are cheap, versus the upfront cost of holding it?

For Warren Buffett, the cash option is priceless - The Globe and Mail

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Maybe it's in a brokerage account?

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Mr. Buffett, the world’s most successful (and richest) value investor, is sitting on almost $41-billion (U.S.) of cash at his Berkshire Hathaway holding company, the most in a year.

“He thinks of cash differently than conventional investors,” Ms. Schroeder says. “This is one of the most important things I learned from him: the optionality of cash. He thinks of cash as a call option with no expiration date, an option on every asset class, with no strike price.

It is a pretty fundamental insight. Because once an investor looks at cash as an option – in essence, the price of being able to scoop up a bargain when it becomes available – it is less tempting to be bothered by the fact that in the short term, it earns almost nothing.

Suddenly, an investor’s asset allocation decisions are not simply between earning nothing in cash and earning something in bonds or stocks. The key question becomes: How much can the cash earn if I have it when I need it to buy other assets that are cheap, versus the upfront cost of holding it?

For Warren Buffett, the cash option is priceless - The Globe and Mail

Well, the problem isn't so much that the cash earns nothing but it's actually worse than that since every year that goes by the cash depreciates in value due to inflation. But, if he's sitting on the cash to use it to buy up companies and assets quickly then that's not bad of course. Apple is sitting on over $117 billion in cash which is why the new CEO Tim Cook is giving out dividends for the first time in 17 years.

Apple shareholders are about to receive their first dividends in 17 years. Starting Aug. 16, Cupertino will issue quarterly dividends of $2.65 per share, according to AppleInsider.First announced in March, Apple’s dividend and stock repurchase plan will help the company give back a little bit of their growing stock pile of cash. With 935 million share outstanding, Apple is expected to disburse nearly $2.5 billion in payments to investors each quarter at least through fiscal year 2015.
However, this amount is small compared to the company’s accumulated holdings. In the last quarter alone, Apple added $7 billion in cash, with its hoard rising to $117 billion.

http://mashable.com/2012/08/15/apple-dividends/

Steve Jobs' policy was not to issue dividends but rather to use the money to invest in growth, which I agree with. It makes more sense to use profits to buy up new companies or for research and development to launch new products than to just give it out to shareholders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
There is a big difference between having cash sitting in a bank for strategic reasons and having cash in the bank without any prospective investment and ignorance of a statistical risk free rate of interest for the time value of money. :D

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
There is a big difference between having cash sitting in a bank for strategic reasons and having cash in the bank without any prospective investment and ignorance of a statistical risk free rate of interest for the time value of money. :D

True. But there is no evidence that the cash is not sitting there for strategic reasons. Vice versa.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Not enough money to find freedom from ego, it seems.
I think it would be interesting to know the story behind this. Maybe the note was solicited by a waiter to a regular at the cafe? There were definitely people in my life that I asked the questions and never got the answers to.

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
I'm thinking cash is low risk at the moment. My 401K this month sent me a notice that expect to add a withdrawal fee and a time delay to withdraw money from the money market fund. They didn't say how much yet but makes me think they are concerned about the value of their money market fund if too many people withdraw at the same time. Maybe money in a financially strong bank is safer than in a brokerage account?

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I'm thinking cash is low risk at the moment. My 401K this month sent me a notice that expect to add a withdrawal fee and a time delay to withdraw money from the money market fund. They didn't say how much yet but makes me think they are concerned about the value of their money market fund if too many people withdraw at the same time. Maybe money in a financially strong bank is safer than in a brokerage account?
That's if you consider the US a good investment. I'm waiting for the collapse of the US dollar because of the abuse of the fed and am hoping to make a serious profit from it hahaha.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
The guy who took the picture is a member on L4P where is was also posted...

Sure, let me post a pic of the statement in front of this thread. Give me a few minutes.

Somehow, this image went viral. I've seen it on various forums such as bodybuilding.com, the message boards for 'The Millionare Fastlane' book, an Entrepreneurial Facebook group, and this forum. Oh, and reddit. Wow. What's even a bigger mindblower is that the actual statement's owner got in touch with me from a forum and then subsequently via Facebook. After messaging with him, and even planning to meet up later on in October, here's some more insights:

- He's in his late 20's, and has a loving family who he loves. He's not suggesting to be some kind of hermit.

- He has had a girlfriend in the past, but broke up with her two years ago as she was holding him back. He is dating now and is looking to settle down with someone. His point was to follow your dreams first, then build a family.

- He operates several businesses, all of which are mainly passive income (of which he'll tell me when I meet with him sometime in October).

- He does invest, this money is simply one of his businesses' excess cash accounts, it's a CIBC Business Interest Account. It gets transferred out every quarter to proper investments. The deposit was a cheque from a finalized order of one of his products.

So, there's some clarification I guess on some people's points and what his message was trying to say. Pretty damn cool! If anyone's interested, I'll be posting more stuff on him when I actually meet him for coffee in several weeks! Can't believe this image has made it so big.

I'll post proof of me holding the statement in a few mins.

http://www.luxury4play.com/attachme...-000-bank-statement-left-cafe-message-l4p.jpg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That looks like a cool forum I am going to join!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hmmm, no mention of stocks, 401(k)s, or cushy corner-office jobs...

So why is it NOT shocking that someone with $13M laying around is dispensing a boatload of good Fastlane advice?

A fact of the entrepreneurial life is that in the beginning all of your time will be required to start it up, but, like anything that moves, once it gets momentum you don't need to exert as much effort to keep it rolling. My family understood, and my true friends understood too, those friends were the ones who were there after the dust cleared and kept the relationship on as if it was never put on hold. My ex, well, she couldn't do that. I can't blame her, she had different goals and ambitions than I have, but I can't change mine for hers just as she didn't change hers for mine!

(From his FB page)

Crumbs2Bricks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Aug 29, 2012
There's a date right on the statement at the top. It's from last Wednesday. Is that recent enough?

Wow, that is badass! And on top of that, he just deposited 345k!

Where is this from? I like how its a recent picture and not something from 4-5 years ago..

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Wow. Guy went from "fun little gesture" to mentor (for lack of a better term) pretty damn quickly.

It's nice to see a fellow Canadian living the life. I tend to be very pessimistic about opportunity up here when I suppose I really shouldn't be.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hmmm, no mention of stocks, 401(k)s, or cushy corner-office jobs...

Exactly. Here's his reply to the question what do you do for a living?

"I'm in Real-Estate, Tech, FX (Foreign Exchange), and Apparel for the most part."

Almost sounds like the cast of Shark Tank. :)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Nice take.

QUESTION: "Is keeping positive important, and if so how do you do it?"

A constant positive attitude is absolutely critical. The reason for this is as follows: We as humans are much easier persuaded by negative effects upon ourselves. Think of the news. We are much more persuaded by negative news, which is why they choose to show it, and which is why fear drives the masses. Think of when you are feeling under the weather and hop onto WebMD, you automatically start to think you have all these bad things! Likewise is with challenges, when you start to encounter difficultly and focus on how hard it is rather than on how good it will feel to get through it you will naturally *want* to shut down, and when this happens, you'll loose interest, and ultimately the drive.

I keep my positive mode on by writing a few quotes down on a sticky note and place them in areas where I'm prone to get frustrated: in my car, at my desk, and on my bathroom mirror. Also, I keep a little letter I wrote myself in my wallet so if I'm out and about and something negative pops into my head I quickly take that out to read.

Being negative is the easiest thing in the world.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Oh.

How do you know that @Mike39?

He is not (at least not yet) a member on the forum, unless he joined last night/today.

How do I know? Well I was driving to school and this squirrel ran out in front of me, I tried to stop but I clipped him. I pulled over immediately and rushed to his aid, his heart was not beating so I began giving him CPR, suddenly in the middle of a compression, he came back to life, with great effort and difficulty, he muttered to me that the guy who originally posted the bank statement picture was not currently a member on the forum. Those were squeaky's last words... :smxD:

Why do the good have to die young? WHY!!!!

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
There's a $1000 difference between the current balance and the available balance + deposit. Is this for some type of unidentified reserve?

Current balance is: $12,810,611.09
Available balance + deposit: $12, 811,611.09

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!