The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$100k 2017

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Online? In 1 day?

Anyways congrats on your small successes!

Yeh I had them come pick it up from my house so I don't need to worry about it taking up so much space.

Have a few pieces left that would be cool to hang up on a wall. My boss at work decorated his office with memorbila , kind of gave me the idea to do something similiar in the future.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
So I'm off work for 4 days as Vancouver is basically shutdown. Work is being highly effected but Ive actually been enjoying this whole pandemic. Trains to work are less crowded, my boss is asking me to come in later as we have a shortage of work, days are shorter at work etc.

Going to use this downtime to work on my health and biz.

Ive decided to leave by the end of April and am likely moving to the island. (Yes I'm quitting) I'm pretty bummed I spent 1 day of my winter snowboarding, really need to increase my revenue and live of my business, I can really feel my life passing me by.

My ''record'' so far with the 80 units sold in a single day is my personal best, if I can increase this number at a higher price point I start flirting with life changing numbers and can sleep in for the rest of my life if so desired. Hmm......

It's not really unrealistic, infact It's fairly possible this is my ''retirement'' year. My business only needs to generate $1k to cover my life expenses and having experienced selling enough units in a single day to potentially cover a month of life is pretty cool.

random thought.....just some verbal diarrhea

So lately I've been exploring the game of basketball and have been playing at the local grade school just down the street.

In the chapter of Unscripted called 3b's really stood out to me, when I was a little kid, my stupid beliefs allowed me to believe that I can't play basketball, I'm white, short and not very athletic. But that is total nonsense, the game of basketball is super simple and easy to learn. The only thing that really matters barring genetics for height (being 7 feet tall) is the amount of practice you put into the game.

Now relating that to the game of business which is kind of a sport in itself that you play alone. It's all about putting in the effort, and effort that I haven't been really putting into my own business. Honestly I'm failing super hard at life, but it's because my focus is work and sleep. Which leads me to cutting the cord, I'll have enough money saved up to live for a few months and do nothing but sleep and work on *MY* business.

If I fail worst case scenario I end up on the street and go eat at a shelter, been there done that but my potential for growth is enormous, so I want to place a bet on myself and go all in so to speak. My health is declining to (mental and physical) from these long 50 hour weeks.

I wonder what would happen in my life if I put 50 hours of my effort into MY business? Wow the things that would change!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
oii.jpg

I have different priced packages of product, If I were to get a mass ordering spree I most likely wouldn't be able to keep up with demand so am limiting myself slightly just atm until I can produce more product which is a work in progress.

Just under 6 weeks to get traction going (haven't sold any online even yet just D2D)

Looking at some bachelor apartments for the island and I'll be looking at $750 or so & up. Ideally since my product is priced at $9.99 a few hundred sales would cover my rent & food for the next little while.

I'll be moving a couple times this year so me and jobs are not exactly the greatest of friends. Really need to get this going!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Ah nothing but crickets so far

Cool story, a supplier I'm getting my materials from founded the company that generated 1 Billion+ in sales, previously filing for bankruptcy TWICE!

sheez, one of my competitors (kind of) filed for bankruptcy twice as well although they are generating hundreds of millions in sales currently.

I like to relate this to basketball, I constantly take shots with 3 pointers and generally miss, but occasionally sink them in!

The real grind is the consistency & effort.

Oh yeh, I started off the year with a -$3 balance in the bank!

WoOooOoOOOOooOooo!!!

quick edit got my first hit for youtube

Last edited:

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Dude, what the hell is this??

Did you hit 100k? I'm not gonna read 22 pages of thumb twittling videos.

Nope I did not, failed business that I just sold off the rest of my inventory recently and am in another one.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Made a fun discovery today, I'm rethinking my layout for my website on how to make it look more professional, in my experience having a shopify store they don't look exactly all done up like a properly set up one, Apple I.E

So I looked into some competitors of mine to lurk them a bit and studied them for a bit, they are one of the leading brands in my space with only 100 employees doing an estimated $25MM annually.

I believe the majority of they're product sales are focused on big box stores and not as much online. From what I'm assuming,

They have no Instagram, just a YouTube with under 100k subs and 1m+ fb follows. Purchasing online direct links me to they're Amazon account with 10k+ orders (so again the bulk of their business is in big box??)

My product has multiple value skews compared to the one mentioned above but overall I think...

1. Their website is alot more professional than mine
  2. Distribution channels (having control of retail shelf space)
  3. They have been around for multiple decades so out the gate this is me vs a bigger brand that everyone trusts
  4. My only method of sales is online or door to door
  5. They have formed partnerships with some big players
  6. Copy & Marketing (I'm totally getting crushed) These people are amazing when it comes to selling * I am NOT *
So just some verbal diarrhea I wanted to get out, I'm quite excited about this, Its basically a battle between me and 100 people fighting for market share.

Am I actually delusional enough as a one man army to compete with an 8 figure business? Ha!

I believe it's possible to grab a few pieces of the pie (which I have infact)

Researching into the company story/philosophy it's complete opposite to what they say. They say one thing, and do the other. Total BS, just like when Mcdonalds says.....

McDonald's has a long legacy of commitment to Animal Health and Welfare, and has a strong zero tolerance policy on cruelty to any animal within our Global Supply Chain. ... 100% of the chickens used for meat in our global supply chain are reared only in cage-free systems.

(I could go on a massive rant about this but won't)

There's something to work with, huge potential here....

flip side I got no response from my boss about work, this corona stuff might have me laid off for a bit. Maybe moving into a cardboard box is in order!

Now, if I can portray the value of my product, to less than 10% of the Vancouver population I'd surpass the 7 fig mark, It's not exactly unrealistic although keeping up with production would definitely be a challenge. In that case I'd need to hire an employee(s)?

Ah the joy that would be.

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
My product has multiple value skews compared to the one mentioned above but overall I think...
  1. Their website is alot more professional than mine
  2. Distribution channels (having control of retail shelf space)
  3. They have been around for multiple decades so out the gate this is me vs a bigger brand that everyone trusts
  4. My only method of sales is online or door to door
  5. They have formed partnerships with some big players
  6. Copy & Marketing (I'm totally getting crushed) These people are amazing when it comes to selling * I am NOT *

It's great to read all these, in the past, you probably didn't even think like this, so it's a gigantic leap up!

Honestly, from reading this, I would say to avoid competing with them directly for the same customer base or you'll get crushed. Perhaps find a niche or subset among their customer base and serve that better, or try another different marketing angle compared to what they're doing.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
It's great to read all these, in the past, you probably didn't even think like this, so it's a gigantic leap up!

Honestly, from reading this, I would say to avoid competing with them directly for the same customer base or you'll get crushed. Perhaps find a niche or subset among their customer base and serve that better, or try another different marketing angle compared to what they're doing.

Yes I agree, my mind has changed about how to think of things. My view is more about competing against other people, me vs the big brands fighting for market share.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
So it's 10PM almost and my slave master, I mean boss hasn't gotten back to me about work.

I guess I'm sleeping in tomorrow? Edit > (Answer yes, I'm off for a week so far)

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hm not really driving traffic, oddly enough for some reason am picking up American visitors.

Non paid traffic ATM, all organic (not much though)

I might not be working for next month because of all the Corona stuff going on, if I don't have income I'm gonna be kinda screwed, Vancouver might shutdown for a month?

Well whatever boo hoo.

100 sales right now would be my monthly salary,

($2k @ $15 x 160 hours/40 hours a week + 10 for travel (50 hour weeks for me) excluding things like making food & showering. Post tax of course.

Or I can sell roughly 100 units within the next 6 weeks about 16 a week, or possibly end up living in a tent?!?

I *might* be working but as of now it looks like that might not happen.

index.jpg

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!