The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

'1%' CEO Confronts Occupy Protesters

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Peter Schiff rocks.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Ive used that line before and it really is the only line that gets a person to stop argueing with you. "How many people do you employ?"

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
One of the major problems with the movement is the lack of direction. Every interview I have ever seen with anybody from occupy has had the same general theme. Occupy protestors yelling about key issue but proposing no real solution. They could not even answer how much the 1% should pay in taxes.

"You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred."
"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."
- Alleged quotes from Abraham Lincoln published in 1942 by William J. H. Boetcker

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Ive used that line before and it really is the only line that gets a person to stop argueing with you. "How many people do you employ?"

Comparing penis size is always the best way to solve issues. I mean, look at how many solutions were fostered by it! All diplomats should take lessons from him!

Unfortunately intelligence and money aren't related as much as the monied believe it is.

A

Anon3587x

Unfortunately intelligence and money aren't related as much as the monied believe it is.

In my view, it's a matter of having a can do attitude, and it requires a certain degree of intelligence to generate that way of thinking. I agree with you, however, that one doesn't need to be a genius.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuPont

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 24, 2011
I think it's really just a matter of having a can-do attitude....I TOTALLY agree with you...the CAN-DO attitude

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
My opinion on intellience would take this somewhat off topic so I'll refrain.

A dedicated pianist has a can-do attitude. Same for an Olympic-class swimmer, world-reknown biologist and virtually any individual with a talent in any particular specialty.

An eye surgeon is good at fixing eyes. A roofer is good at fixing your roof. A pianist is good at playing the piano. A capitalist is good at making money.

Although most recognize that a surgeon can't help much with one's roof or that a pianist can't help much when one's going blind, society is less able to recognize that having the skills to amass money doesn't make one an expert in diplomacy, intelligence, interior design and a host of other unrelated skills.

The video is embarassing proof of that. Although I admire capitalistic Schiff, diplomatic Schiff leaves much to be desired (or violinist Schiff for that matter).

D

DeletedUser394

I take the side of Rickson9, because just like the Gracie off which his username is based, he's the man.

lol :)

Seems logical enough.

A

Anon3587x

My opinion on intellience would take this somewhat off topic so I'll refrain.

A dedicated pianist has a can-do attitude. Same for an Olympic-class swimmer, world-reknown biologist and virtually any individual with a talent in any particular specialty.

An eye surgeon is good at fixing eyes. A roofer is good at fixing your roof. A pianist is good at playing the piano. A capitalist is good at making money.

Although most recognize that a surgeon can't help much with one's roof or that a pianist can't help much when one's going blind, society is less able to recognize that having the skills to amass money doesn't make one an expert in diplomacy, intelligence, interior design and a host of other unrelated skills.

The video is embarassing proof of that. Although I admire capitalistic Schiff, diplomatic Schiff leaves much to be desired (or violinist Schiff for that matter).

Rickson, I think you may be overlooking the fact that not everybody is intelligence as you. (Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say.)

A capitalist excels at earning profits; a surgeon is a master at operating on the human flesh. This being said, a person committed to be a surgeon (who became a great one) is the same person who would be an exceedingly wealthy capitalist if he chose that path.

Some form of intelligence — that I'm unable to describe — is the deciding factor in between.

I find an old Roman quote relevant to this discussion, it goes something like. . .

"The man of extreme virtue finds it hard see the inferiority of others"

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Wow, I had no idea Schiff played the violin . . .

-Russ H.

C

chudnovsky

since I'm not american, my opinion of the wall-street guys is pretty much influenced from what I've seen in documentaries such as Inside Job, Love of Money, etc... and to be honest, most of these top executive do not look smart or speak smart. but this guy is funny, it requires a lot of courage to speak to an angry mob

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
Yes, OWS is not organized and some of the mouthpieces they've gotten in the media have been terrible choices (though, in defense, were not a collective decision). Despite this, the fact that anyone would skip understanding what the foundations of the protests are--and SIDE WITH WALL STREET--is amazing.

Schiff looks like an a**hole in that video. Is she making a good case? Absolutely not! However, asking her how many she employs to shut her up only shows he also cannot form a coherent defense of his position and must resort to a pissing contest.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
All the Occupiers have one thing in common. They all have no idea what their really protesting. Every video I've seen so far proves it. This one's too funny.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I want to see/hear a coherent OWS present their case. So far, I have only read one article (somebody posted a link here in the forum a couple of weeks back) where there was a strong argument and something that made sense.

Until now, everybody in the crowd seems to be unable to express what this is really about (concrete, actionable stuff, not "gimme all your money cause you have too much and I don't have enough").

"You have too much money, give us some" is not a real argument, is it?

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
I want to see/hear a coherent OWS present their case. So far, I have only read one article (somebody posted a link here in the forum a couple of weeks back) where there was a strong argument and something that made sense.

For all intents and purposes, how is that not an coherent OWS case?

A decentralized movement such as this one is going to be susceptible to people being involved that, while they feel there is something not right about Gov't/Wall Street ties, they can't fully articulate it. And they shouldn't necessarily have to for the issues at hand to be valid.

Does it really take a massive group of people articulating it clearly for people to be convinced that the financial sector currently doesn't have to play by the same rules as the rest of us--and surely it's to their benefit?

Until now, everybody in the crowd seems to be unable to express what this is really about (concrete, actionable stuff, not "gimme all your money cause you have too much and I don't have enough").

"You have too much money, give us some" is not a real argument, is it?

And in all fairness, we haven't heard everybody in the crowd. Just the very, very small minority the press has chosen to focus on at times.

Largest Banks Likely Profited By Borrowing From Federal Reserve, Lending To Federal Government

Article said:
During one three-month period in 2009, Bank of America borrowed more than $48 billion at rates ranging from 0.25 to 0.5 percent. Meanwhile, the largest U.S. lender tripled its holdings of Treasuries and other taxpayer-backed debt to about $15 billion -- securities that yielded 3.5 percent.

In another period, JPMorgan Chase, the second-largest bank, swelled its holdings of taxpayer-backed federal debt by $20 billion, which yielded 2.1 percent, while at the same time borrowing $29 billion from the Fed at a rate of 0.3 percent.

This is Federal money they're borrowing. They borrow it for peanuts, and they proceed to lend it back out for anything but.

They make a bad investments and are about to go belly up, and get bailed out courtesy of the taxpayers.

That would NEVER happen for an individual. This is the problem; there's a dichotomy between how the financial sector and the people are treated.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I am not siding with wall street but im my opinion they are protesting the wrong people. As long as there are people in power accepting bribes there will be somebody there to bribe them. There is no shortage of bribery money floating around a fair amount of which has no relation to Wall Street.

A

Anon3587x

Deficient spending will cause more problems than it solves.

WOOOOOTTT! I AM THE 99%

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
hahahahhaha this is awesome.

I LOVE more than anything when someone who actually knows what they are talking about debates with another person or group and works them.

There is something that scares me though, and as you see these people TRULY believe he should pay more takes is this:

I heard a quote somewhere i think its really old but basically it was saying how the general public will eventually lead the universe into its direction and i think there is no arguing with that.

So sad to see that man Peter who probably sacrificed so much, took so much risk, tried to hard and now he employees people, in which he shoulder be getting thanked for but it getting criticized.

They act like he just magically got there, like he just appeared there from luck, they should of looked back at all the other times he was working or sacrificing while they were at a bar at 4:55 pm.

Things like this sometimes make me hate people, because we all know if they get what they want, and entrepreneurs stop then what... they will all be crying when we have nothing. People are so irrational it worries me, is this why im risking so much currently, to MAYBE become successful then have it taken away from me and ridiculed for it.

Slowlaners have no appreciation for sacrifice, dedication, and hard work.

C

chudnovsky

From my limited knowledge:

On one hand you have people on WS that sc***ed everyone up big time, for their own interests. these guys are criminals and should be punished. Except, they're having the time of their lives enjoying the money they made. (personal note: I hate bankers, I live in Switzerland which is basically a huge bank...these guys are the biggest and worst kind of money-chasers, they're only goal is to make money without giving back in return. No value created. These are no producers, they are looters.)

On the other hand you have the desperate 99% of OWS..they are so disoriented that they don't even know what they want or what to do. But they're there, pointing fingers, blaming the rich (even the producers that brought them clothes, iphones, computers, cables, pillows, toothbrushes,...) seizing this opportunity to get a piece of their cake because they deserve it and life is unfair. ("The Rich should pay my tuition!"). Sorry but some of them are looters as well.

The tragedy is that at the end of day, the 99% will still have to do their laundry...tomorrow they will get up in the morning and they will have to go to work. Life will go on, and maybe they will realize that some things in this life are so far outside of their control and action range that they are not worth spending so much time and thought on. What the hell, I'm not even a fan of this system, I don't like capitalism, I don't like money, it's a huge challenge for my ego and mental/spiritual sanity. but I focus on the things I can control and change in my life... and try not to become so paranoid about the rest.

Having that said, it would be great to see some WS people in jail, just to give the 99% a little hope and give me something to laugh at.

joona

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 1, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Well I think there is few things going on in here:

- Problem of the system
- Problem of morality

The biggest problem is system related. If the system is working well, there would be less problems with moral hazard that is now so evident, especially among bankers. But if they are given the right to take in all profits and get taxpayers to pay the losses... then the system is not really working. Sure, the OWS movement can go and say that they should give the money back and pay more taxes and whatever. Even if they would, the problem would persist because the system would be unchanged.

So really, from my point of view the OWS should concentrate on attacking people who set the rules and system. That would be politicians, not bankers. If financial sector would be more regulated and banks would be allowed to go under (or if not, then the taxpayers should get stock for their money and then get a portion of the future profits too), there would be less of these current problems. But then again, it is easier said than done.

About the moral problem. Of course, if OWS would target politicians something might change, at least on medium term. However, the problem is that the politicians are of course corrupted/financed by people from WS. So basically they would need to cut their own financial supply, which no sensible person does in normal circumstances.

So: change the regulation systems and the rampant financial sector can be get back to control. The process will be slow and painful, but it is necessary.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
wow that was amazing...one line overkill in the most efficient manner. I guess that's going into my favorites!

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
As long as there are people in power accepting bribes there will be somebody there to bribe them.

This is what most people don't get if you draw it for them. They have been brainwashed through life and school that gubament = good, business = bad and they refuse to see that without a centralised monopoly of force, like the government, psychopaths and influence merchants ("politicians") wouldn't be attracted to that source like moths to a bright light.

Of course people and companies are going to fight to get control of that power, even if a tiny bit. If they don't do it, their competitors will. Remove the monopoly of force, institute a voluntary society and you solve 99% of the problems we have. Most people are so addicted to the government's violent tit that the thought of that scares the living daylights out of them - "you mean I am responsible for myself and my actions and I cannot use the gubament to steal from someone else and give to me? Get out of here with those loony ideas!"

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
10 year terms with a 1 term limit. That handles the government side.

Ditch corporate tax rates for any company that has hired more than it fired or lost in the last year. Do this for 10 years.

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
So really, from my point of view the OWS should concentrate on attacking people who set the rules and system. That would be politicians, not bankers. If financial sector would be more regulated and banks would be allowed to go under (or if not, then the taxpayers should get stock for their money and then get a portion of the future profits too), there would be less of these current problems. But then again, it is easier said than done.

Yes, politics and politicians are definitely a problem. I would never argue that. However, I'm not convinced regulation will solve all the problems at hand.

Government regulation/involvement in an industry often stifles productivity and/or innovation. Not cool. Of course, laissez-faire exclusively most likely could not solve the current needs of society. The beauty is probably somewhere in the balance.

I'm do not support some OWS protestor's desires of hand-me-outs. (Key difference there, the movement has not made clear its demands). That's not the answer. There will always be freeloaders though, it's unavoidable.

Though, I do not support the unequal playing field Wall Street has for itself. The unchecked middle-man crap that allows it to shuttle profits into itself at little risk courtesy of (and ultimately at more of a cost via loan interest to) the taxpayers. Or its government (read "taxpayer")-sponsored bailouts when its businesses get themselves in a pickle.

Some companies genuinely take a risk and profit. Or do something that addresses a need. I think anyone that has a problem with them is crazy. Its the cheaters I'm against, and Wall Street is full of them, which is why it amazes me anyone would blindly side with Wall Street over its protesters based on some lousy soundbites from the news of all places.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011

I agree the politicians are the ones who gave them the money. Politicians are the one who consistently give big business tax breaks, concesions, and subsidies. I hope someday I can own a company where the government will pay people money so they can make the purchase of my unprofitable product profitable (GMO everything). However, I have no intention of wasting my resources to produce something that requires a subsidy to be profitable.

I do believe that Banks are already over regulated. Many banks now employ more compliance officers then loan officers. This brings the cost of loan creation up and lowers the amount of money available to average Americans. Everybody acts like the rediculous lending during the bubble was the worst thing ever but I would love to be able to get a loan right now to purchase an apartment building with no proof of income and 10% down. Then refi shortly after I have fixed it up to pull out my rediculously over valued appreciation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.