The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

€40,000 Sitting In Bank...Don't Know What To Do!

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
One thing you left out is how much time you have to invest. Or to put it this way - how many hours can you devote per day or per week if you sat down and either scaled your current business much further, or took on a new project?

It seems you also sort of answered your own question about the mortgage here:

I am living in a rental apartment - €400/mo which is cheap compared to many other countries and I manage to pay it fine...but of course I hate renting and wouldn't mind a place of my own. Yes I could put all that savings into a deposit for a home and mortgage but it would clean my bank out, (no security if something happens), and seeing as I don't earn a ton of cash it would take me years again to build that back up again.

Like @Jeff Noel also said - it will be easier for you to fulfill your dream about your own house after you have achieved more of the financial security. At least you have a roof over your head until you do, even though you may not feel like renting is ideal.

If you wanna do something else than self-publishing , look around this forum for "Notable" or "Gold" threads for inspiration and ideas. There are tons!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I am requesting advice, opinions, thoughts from anyone who wants to share.
I have learned so much from just reading what members have to say in this forum. This place is filled with very smart people and I admit that sometimes I just cannot keep up.

Right now I am really doing my best to improve my mindset and change the way I have been living my life. As with many others, I have a bunch of negative stuff going on in my life that kind of weighs down on me....(constantly at the back of my mind). I explained some of it in my last thread.

Anyway, it's not an excuse...I just want you to know that all that stuff kind of fills up a lot of my mind which in turn affects me thinking up new ideas or even making smart decisions!

Example: I worked very hard for years to save up €40,000. It is now sitting there in my bank....doing nothing and I just cannot think up any ideas of what I should do with it!

Before anyone jumps on me for being foolish enough to just let my savings sit there in the bank...I KNOW...I hate wasting this opportunity to make my savings work for me but I just do not know where to turn!

Some Background: I am living in Spain and I work online self-publishing. I earn enough to support myself but it needs to be scaled up if I want to feel more financially secure. It is an average earning for here in Spain...at best. For USA it would be considered a poor wage.

I am living in a rental apartment - €400/mo which is cheap compared to many other countries and I manage to pay it fine...but of course I hate renting and wouldn't mind a place of my own.

Yes I could put all that savings into a deposit for a home and mortgage but it would clean my bank out, (no security if something happens), and seeing as I don't earn a ton of cash it would take me years again to build that back up again.

I wanted to have enough saved to buy a home cash but 40 thousand is not going to cut it. So the other option could be to invest the money, or use it to scale up my earnings in hope that maybe I could earn enough to maybe purchase a home.

Of course, this isn't just about "feeling secure" with a home and paying a landlord each month. If you read my last thread you will know I have Huntington's Disease looming over me and I am struggling to decide.....now that I have SOME savings.....do I use it to somehow find a way to make that money work for me....or do I play it safe and just get a mortgage for security AND THEN work hard to save again?

I want to enjoy the life that I have now...but I also want some security. If I put some money into finding a way to scale things up with my earnings then yes, that would be great because then I could build my business AND maybe build up enough to even purchase a home. This could take years though.

OR...I just go the safe route...get a mortgage and try hard to save money again. I would have MY roof over my head BUT all my savings would be wiped out in one go buying a home....which is kind of risky.

I am sure there are other things I can do with my savings but there is so much information out there I get overwhelmed. I lost a lot of money in the recent cryptocurrency crash and so I guess I am scared of making the wrong investing move.

I apologize, I know this may read like gibberish...I am not as smart as many members on this forum and so there are many things, in business and money, that I just do not know about.

I don't know what to do, I don't know where to turn. I take care of my dad because he has progressed Huntington's and when I see him lying in that bed, I see me in 10 years.....and it scares me.

I worked so hard to save that money.....to use it wisely....and now that I have it I don't know what to do!

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
So, what do YOU want ?

You say you need to scale your business to earn financial freedom. Why not invest in what's already working for you so it scales up to the desired level ?

It would be easier to get a house once you're financially free.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
So, what do YOU want ?

You say you need to scale your business to earn financial freedom. Why not invest in what's already working for you so it scales up to the desired level ?

^^^^^ This

Bounce off what you have right now. Start learning how to scale a business, good resource to start is MJ's books "Millionaires Fastlane". You will get plenty of ideas in this forum too.
Not sure what you do exactly, but there are two things to learn really:
1. how to get more clients - if you can automate the process later - awesome.
2. and how to automate/delegate all extra work you get - basically create a system to fulfill client needs.

Obviously different services, price points and business modules dictate a bit different approach, but all the basics are covered pretty good in MJ's book :)

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
I would just buy a house its always a good investment you can always sell em.

...Or you could donate it to a good cause.... I happen to know a really good one:devil:

Then I would say - buy an apartment with bank money (we have 20% down payment, not sure how is it in Spain). Or couple if you can sort out financing. Air BnB it for quicker turnover (you need to research that - average booking rate in your location, best locations for air bnb type of RE, etc.). Let the tenants grow your share in the apartment/s, growing your capital. Then sell and you will not have a problem where to put 40k, instead, you will have 100k problem, haha :D

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
Maybe put another €5000 into some sort of investment for the year.

Thank you.

Be careful with this one. While I support investing. Sometimes I have a feeling that some people think about investing, whatever it is a real estate, stocks or anything else, that it is "meh, I am not sure where to put my money, so I'd rather invest it". It probably brakes every honest investor heart (dishonest ones use that kind of people to scale up their business, haha), because investing is a real business, like everything else and it shouldn't be taken lightly. That's why it is always easier to build on top of what you already good at, instead of jumping on "another gold rush".

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
I am not 100% sure what is working but maybe if I pulled away say €5,000 and used it to scale up what I am doing that may bring more money in which in turn may help me to save up/invest more.

In marketing, we call it testing. There are certain situations, niches, strategies where you don't have enough data or experience or both. You have a budget, but you start with testing first. If I invest 1k and I am not profitable, but I still got some date out of it. There are two options now, either I have another 1k or I don't. If I lost all my money, then that 1k is a loss. If I have more money than that 1k is an investment, now I know what's working and what's not and if I am good at reading the numbers I probably have some idea what could work :)
So yeh don't throw all your savings right away, haha :D

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
@Empire, based on your responses in the thread, I'm assuming you have been diagnosed and not simply thinking about the odds, which I'm aware are not good, of developing the disease. I'm very sorry to hear it. Your intention to keep from dwelling on the future is admirable.

However, it is practical to consider providing for yourself when the inevitable occurs, and irresponsible not to.

I see everyone talking about scaling your current self-publishing. Would that it were that easy! But whenever your 'product' requires that you, yourself, continue to produce it, scaling that may not be the right thing. There are ways, to be sure. James Patterson and others have found them. May I ask whether you write fiction or something else? And whether you continuously market your backlist?

Consider whether turning your writing skill to something you can monetize beyond your own writing would be feasible. Off the top of my head, I can think of several that work together. Blogging is the foundation, then online course creation, affiliate marketing in your space, i.e., marketing writing courses, etc. With 10-15 years, you can build something that lives on and is automated, can be outsourced when you are no longer able to manage the work, or sold for enough to support you later.

It's taken me far longer than I want to admit to learn how to put it all together, so I understand what you said when you mentioned having to learn everything over the past few years. But you now have a solid foundation. It only requires that you put it together, brainstorm your options, and yes, put a little money into it. Not much. I wouldn't risk more than the five thousand you mentioned. You may be able to do it with much less.

I know little about investing, but I do know there are relatively secure and liquid investments where the bulk of your emergency fund should go. It's unfortunate that life insurance or an annuity for lifetime income will no longer be an option for you, with your diagnosis. However, with your frugality and a little boost in income, you should be able to build that nest egg.

Lastly, do give yourself permission to have some adventures. Find someone who can care for your dad while you take a little time for yourself. You deserve some carefree joy in your life. Everyone does.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hello Everyone,

I am requesting advice, opinions, thoughts from anyone who wants to share.
I have learned so much from just reading what members have to say in this forum. This place is filled with very smart people and I admit that sometimes I just cannot keep up.

Right now I am really doing my best to improve my mindset and change the way I have been living my life. As with many others, I have a bunch of negative stuff going on in my life that kind of weighs down on me....(constantly at the back of my mind). I explained some of it in my last thread.

Anyway, it's not an excuse...I just want you to know that all that stuff kind of fills up a lot of my mind which in turn affects me thinking up new ideas or even making smart decisions!

Example: I worked very hard for years to save up €40,000. It is now sitting there in my bank....doing nothing and I just cannot think up any ideas of what I should do with it!

Before anyone jumps on me for being foolish enough to just let my savings sit there in the bank...I KNOW...I hate wasting this opportunity to make my savings work for me but I just do not know where to turn!

Some Background: I am living in Spain and I work online self-publishing. I earn enough to support myself but it needs to be scaled up if I want to feel more financially secure. It is an average earning for here in Spain...at best. For USA it would be considered a poor wage.

I am living in a rental apartment - €400/mo which is cheap compared to many other countries and I manage to pay it fine...but of course I hate renting and wouldn't mind a place of my own.

Yes I could put all that savings into a deposit for a home and mortgage but it would clean my bank out, (no security if something happens), and seeing as I don't earn a ton of cash it would take me years again to build that back up again.

I wanted to have enough saved to buy a home cash but 40 thousand is not going to cut it. So the other option could be to invest the money, or use it to scale up my earnings in hope that maybe I could earn enough to maybe purchase a home.

Of course, this isn't just about "feeling secure" with a home and paying a landlord each month. If you read my last thread you will know I have Huntington's Disease looming over me and I am struggling to decide.....now that I have SOME savings.....do I use it to somehow find a way to make that money work for me....or do I play it safe and just get a mortgage for security AND THEN work hard to save again?

I want to enjoy the life that I have now...but I also want some security. If I put some money into finding a way to scale things up with my earnings then yes, that would be great because then I could build my business AND maybe build up enough to even purchase a home. This could take years though.

OR...I just go the safe route...get a mortgage and try hard to save money again. I would have MY roof over my head BUT all my savings would be wiped out in one go buying a home....which is kind of risky.

I am sure there are other things I can do with my savings but there is so much information out there I get overwhelmed. I lost a lot of money in the recent cryptocurrency crash and so I guess I am scared of making the wrong investing move.

I apologize, I know this may read like gibberish...I am not as smart as many members on this forum and so there are many things, in business and money, that I just do not know about.

I don't know what to do, I don't know where to turn. I take care of my dad because he has progressed Huntington's and when I see him lying in that bed, I see me in 10 years.....and it scares me.

I worked so hard to save that money.....to use it wisely....and now that I have it I don't know what to do!

I am a financial consultant.

Congrats for building up a saving for yourself. Sorry to hear that you lost money in speculating on crypto.

Are you an employee or self employed. Your rental is cheap. I dont see the need to buy a flat. You are going to pay interest for a mortgage too.

Are you excluded from disability health insurance? What insurance coverage do you have? Does your country provide free medical care?

It seems that your primary concern is about the losing the ability to make an income and having the need of someone to take care of you.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Invest in your health.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
One thing you left out is how much time you have to invest. Or to put it this way - how many hours can you devote per day or per week if you sat down and either scaled your current business much further, or took on a new project?

Well, if it something I have made my mind up about then I will make time.
I got to this point in savings because I live frugally. I don't own transport, (cycle everywhere), I don't eat out or go out much, I don't spend money on things I don't need, haven't dated for a while to stay focused and avoid all the BS emotional stuff....etc.

This has all helped me to save...then my circumstances changed...(what my health will be like in 10 - 15 years), and now I am not sure what I had planned for those savings!

Like @Jeff Noel it will be easier for you to fulfill your dream about your own house after you have achieved more of the financial security. At least you have a roof over your head until you do, even though you may not feel like renting is ideal.

Yes...you are right. Maybe i just need to dig in this year and focus on that.

Like @Jeff Noel If you wanna do something else than self-publishing , look around this forum for "Notable" or "Gold" threads for inspiration and ideas. There are tons!

Yes I will do that. I am looking to build more sources of income because with self-publishing I do not feel fully in control, (Amazon...KDP). Anything where I can work online to create at least a handful of semi-passive residual income. Self-publishing is the closest i have come to that. I still get paid for books I created three years ago.

Thank you.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
maybe if I pulled away say €5,000 and used it to scale up
Thank you.
That's the best move in my opinion. You don't have to use all your cashflow, you definitely could use it as a cushion to fall back onto if things go south for some reason.

With that said, if I was you I would definitely invest into an INSIDERS subscription on this forum. There's ton of value and some valuable tips on how to invest the rest of that money "safely".

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Well, I am not at that stage yet. Maybe I have 10, 15 or maybe more years before full HD could begin kicking in. I don't think I have managed to process all this fully yet which is why I am still avoiding thinking about all that stuff.

I know I need to focus on something NOW because my brain is, mostly, still working fine and I am physically ok. I know there will be a time when all that will slowly get worse which is why I have a fire under my a$$ now!..haha.

Thank you.
What I am talking is, when that happens do you have the income and money to take care of yourself.

Are you trying to save as much as you can so that when something bad happens at least you have the money?

I worked with clients who have diabetes, and people who are recovering from cancer and stroke. So I have seen much worse.

It really depends on what your individual financial and health goal is. Not everyone is a 25 year old with perfect health trying to run a business and aim for a ferrari.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Is it possible you can do both?

Use some of the €40k to put a down payment on a house and then use the rest for something else, like scaling up your self published books?

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
Is it possible you can do both?

Use some of the €40k to put a down payment on a house and then use the rest for something else, like scaling up your self published books?

Doing both would be ideal....but I would need to put at least 30% down if I got a mortgage. Including fees and other stuff.....€40,000 may not cut it unless I buy a rundown place in the middle of no where.

It is starting to look like I may have to get my head down and work my a$$ off for another year before I can get on the property ladder. Maybe if i find the right thing and focus enough I could hit my financial goals.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Yes and no. I am still a little messed up about the whole thing. A part of me says take your savings and just go travel the world, live your life and in 15 years you can deal with the HD. Of course with that approach I would have some great memories but will most likely be left with zero in the bank.
That would mean when the HD finally gets me....I guess I'd be in a bad spot.

I know I probably shouldn't even be thinking about that option...I would prefer to be able to create a successful business....have enough money to do some traveling and have fun...AND have enough saved for the future for when I most likely will end up bedridden.

That last part still scares me and I don't think I have processed it all yet. After seeing what HD is doing to my dad I am not sure I want to be around to experience the same. I am really trying to do the right thing here and push the irresponsible thoughts out of my head....but it's hard.

Well I am 47, no kids so no major responsibilities except to look after my dad while he is still here. My older sister has HD and so her husband will take that responsibility. I have no assets like a home, no life insurance or anything like that....just my €40,000 savings.

My financial goal is to create enough of an income where I can at least have 1 nice vacation a year, own a small house or apartment and still be able to save up for my future. If I earn enough to help out my niece and nephew for their future too then that would be a massive bonus!

I am working towards creating semi-passive income sources...or sources of income I can earn online as that gives me freedom to be and go where I want and still earn. Also, online ventures do not seem to need a huge amount of initial capital to get started.

I am not after the mansion or Ferrari....I am too old for that...but a regular, comfortable income where I can live a nice life, not WORRY about cash and have enough for security would be perfect for me.

I am very good at stretching my money to the point where I can live on very little. The issue I am having is speeding up the process of MAKING that money!

As for my health goals.....I just want to be just like everyone else for as long as I can to enjoy my efforts. I am hoping I have at least another 10 to 15 years of good health....I don't want to spend those worrying about a "not so good" future.
Thanks for your response.

Despite having the obstacles you are still looking to ways to take care of your family members. You are a nice person.

I guess you have to work hard and do both nice- get money for vacations once a year and save up for rainy days, so you have no regret in the future. Have you been to Thailand? It is nice and cheap there. Malaysia is affordable. With budget airline nowadays plus airbnb these days you wont spend too much.

There are many people who can teach you on how to create the income stream.

Good luck!

raritee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Sep 28, 2017
VIRGINIA
I don't think there is anything wrong with letting it sit in the bank until you think of something to do with it. A certain amount of money is ok to have in cash. It is an emergency fund. I have a bank account that gives me 2% return. I don't know what they have in Spain unfortunately. I'm impressed you make a modest living on the internet. I'd like to know how to do that to make some extra money.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks for your response.

Despite having the obstacles you are still looking to ways to take care of your family members. You are a nice person.

I guess you have to work hard and do both nice- get money for vacations once a year and save up for rainy days, so you have no regret in the future. Have you been to Thailand? It is nice and cheap there. Malaysia is affordable. With budget airline nowadays plus airbnb these days you wont spend too much.

There are many people who can teach you on how to create the income stream.

Good luck!

Thank you for your advice. You have been very helpful.

I think I need to control my thoughts and look towards more responsible answers than are currently floating around my head. I guess I have too much going on up there to allow me to make a good decision....which is why I am here trying to get outsiders viewpoints...from some real smart people.

Right now I cannot pick up and go anyway because I need to take care of my dad...so I guess I need to push the thoughts of "travel" and "living life" aside for now.

If I do that then I guess I am left with "stay, work your a$$ off, earn and save!"
That would probably be the sensible thing to do.
Work on what I have now and work on my habits, build a system to push towards scaling up what I already earn.

I have come this far....starting from literally no earnings...struggling to make even a meager living online for over three years before I saw any "reasonable earnings", (I didn't even know how to use a computer properly!), with no support from anyone around me.

If I can get to the level I am now, finally earning enough online to be able to live "ok" then I should damn well be able to push myself to the next level where I am living "pretty damn good".

I know, it's my mindset.....filled with garbage. It's the negative voice inside me telling me that I am not a business person, I am not meant to have a successful business, etc..

I need to set up a system. I need to begin baby stepping towards growing my income!

Last edited:

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
I don't think there is anything wrong with letting it sit in the bank until you think of something to do with it. A certain amount of money is ok to have in cash. It is an emergency fund. I have a bank account that gives me 2% return. I don't know what they have in Spain unfortunately.

I agree about saving money, earning more....taking your time to invest it wisely. However, when my dad began getting sick with HD and then my sister and I diagnosed with it....well....I guess it scared me and put a fire under my butt. My perspective on life just suddenly changed.

Life has always been about time, about doing the best you can in the time you have. Well, I took it for granted and so now I have have a steeper curve to climb....now I have to make sharper turns rather than gradual turns to change the way things are for the better.

I'm impressed you make a modest living on the internet. I'd like to know how to do that to make some extra money.

Getting started online was not an easy road FOR ME but I know there are many others who succeeded in a short period of time or didn't struggle as much.

I had no knowledge of computers or anything online. I literally had to learn how to use a computer correctly, search engines, Word docs, emails, using image software, etc...all that stuff....while also learning all the "new" ways of earning online.

Took me a year to earn my first $1 online. That was from Amazon affiliate marketing. Took me a couple more years to scale things up to a point where I could actually work from home....BUT I still had to be frugal with my spending.

Now I earn an "average" wage for here in Spain. I don't have an egotistical boss to listen to and I work when I want. So yeh, I guess I achieved that goal of being free to work where and when I want. However, I am doing "OK" because I am not living beyond my means.

It is time I got to the next level of earning where I can begin to LIVE a bit more AND still be financially secure.

If you want to earn a little extra online it is certainly possible. You can try Amazon affiliate marketing as that doesn't have much of a steep learning curve. Self-publishing is good too. There are tons of things you can do online these days to bring in a little extra cash.

Thanks.

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
May 24, 2017
Spain
First of all, put your savings on a savings account with interest (I know several, pm me if interested, happy to share with you the ones I have, I don't get any commission, I promise :)).

Where in Spain do you live? With that rent you pay I assume in a smaller city, right? I would not discard the idea of an investment property with a mortgage (now that interest rates are super low you can get amazing conditions at a fixed rate), and with a tenant pay the mortgage and even make a profit, then, worst case scenario you own a home and will have a roof over your head.

Depending where in Spain you buy them you wouldn't need to use all your savings.

Maybe a good option would be buying a small investment property (and potential home if things go south) with half of your savings, then leave a small amount in savings account for emergencies and invest the rest in scaling your business.

Considering your age, that you value security and that you don't own a house, getting one sounds like a good idea, even if you use it as a home, as in Spain, (with very few exceptions) is way cheaper buying with mortgage than renting.

Just some thoughts, hope you find them useful

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
First of all, put your savings on a savings account with interest (I know several, pm me if interested, happy to share with you the ones I have, I don't get any commission, I promise :)).

Where in Spain do you live? With that rent you pay I assume in a smaller city, right? I would not discard the idea of an investment property with a mortgage (now that interest rates are super low you can get amazing conditions at a fixed rate), and with a tenant pay the mortgage and even make a profit, then, worst case scenario you own a home and will have a roof over your head.

Depending where in Spain you buy them you wouldn't need to use all your savings.

Maybe a good option would be buying a small investment property (and potential home if things go south) with half of your savings, then leave a small amount in savings account for emergencies and invest the rest in scaling your business.

Considering your age, that you value security and that you don't own a house, getting one sounds like a good idea, even if you use it as a home, as in Spain, (with very few exceptions) is way cheaper buying with mortgage than renting.

Just some thoughts, hope you find them useful

Thank you. Yes this has been very helpful. Your info helps me look at things differently.
I live in Costa Blanca right on the coast. I live in a nice 2 bed apartment and have been here for a few years but I hate having to pay rent.

I am just finding it hard to take a path. With all that is going on I feel like half my brain is filled with worry about my dad - (even though I know there is zero I can do to make his life less crappy), and the other half is desperately trying to sort my own life out now that I see what my future holds....be it many years from now.

I know people say never make big decisions when you are stressed and it has taken me a year to come to terms with adapting my life to include caring for my dad. He came first no matter what I had planned for this year....but I am not going to spend this year in a mess as I was last year.

Many people have been able to be a success, (whatever that may be for them), regardless of the tough things going on in their lives. They had the strength to do that...so I need to make this year a success.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Diabetes and stroke worse than Huntington's? You obviously know nothing about Huntington's. The OP was gracious in his reply, but your response left me gobsmacked. You should look it up.
In no way I am trivalising his condition and I apologise if I made it sound so.

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016

...Or you could donate it to a good cause.... I happen to know a really good one:devil:

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
So, what do YOU want ?

Yes, that is one of the options I have been thinking about. I am not 100% sure what is working but maybe if I pulled away say €5,000 and used it to scale up what I am doing that may bring more money in which in turn may help me to save up/invest more.

Yes, being financially free would certainly make the choices feel less risky.
Thank you.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
^^^^^ This

Bounce off what you have right now. Start learning how to scale a business, good resource to start is MJ's books "Millionaires Fastlane". You will get plenty of ideas in this forum too.
Not sure what you do exactly, but there are two things to learn really:
1. how to get more clients - if you can automate the process later - awesome.
2. and how to automate/delegate all extra work you get - basically create a system to fulfill client needs.

Obviously different services, price points and business modules dictate a bit different approach, but all the basics are covered pretty good in MJ's book :)

Yes. What has happened is that I have arrived at what seems to be a set amount of earnings coming in each month. It's like I hit a wall and need to climb up and over it to get to the next level of earnings.....scaling.

Maybe paying for outsourcing will get me over that wall.
Maybe I need to tell myself that this is the way it's going to be this year so you may as well put some of that money into trying to scale up your biz.
Maybe put another €5000 into some sort of investment for the year.

The stuff with caring for my dad and how I need to accept it into a daily/weekly routine has to be accepted. I need to understand that there is nothing I can do about it. So, instead of worrying about the issue....accept it...and work super hard for this year to scale up.

Thank you.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015

Yes...that's true. With what I have in savings I would have no choice but to take out a mortgage. After fees I would have very little left for anything else for at least a few months until I can build up savings again.

Haha...I will get back to you on that.

Thank you.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
Then I would say - buy an apartment with bank money (we have 20% down payment, not sure how is it in Spain). Or couple if you can sort out financing. Air BnB it for quicker turnover (you need to research that - average booking rate in your location, best locations for air bnb type of RE, etc.). Let the tenants grow your share in the apartment/s, growing your capital. Then sell and you will not have a problem where to put 40k, instead, you will have 100k problem, haha :D

Yes it is 30% down here. That is certainly an option. Not sure if where I live will be a big Air BNB place as its not very touristy but who knows; I haven't researched it so it could be a good spot.
Thank you.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
It seems that your primary concern is about the losing the ability to make an income and having the need of someone to take care of you.

Well, I am not at that stage yet. Maybe I have 10, 15 or maybe more years before full HD could begin kicking in. I don't think I have managed to process all this fully yet which is why I am still avoiding thinking about all that stuff.

I know I need to focus on something NOW because my brain is, mostly, still working fine and I am physically ok. I know there will be a time when all that will slowly get worse which is why I have a fire under my a$$ now!..haha.

Thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.