The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you aren't doing this, you are leaving a LOT of money on the table.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
This is a post more targeted towards people who sell physical products, but I imagine that it has broader application.

I'm currently eating and in a trance after a prolonged period of looking at spreadsheets - so I'll do my best to be clear and straight to the point.

I'd also like to add that I am guilty of this mistake - which is what prompted me to make the post.

The mistake is not taking your packing slips and customer onboarding process seriously enough.

Even saying it, I realize that it may sound like no big deal, but SO MUCH CAN BE WON BY DOING JUST A LITTLE BIT OF FRONT END WORK ON THIS.

We all track our CPC, conversion rates, margins, etc... but what happens when the customer gets their product?

Many people think that's game over. You won the customer and now if they like the product enough - they'll tell others about it!

That's true, to a degree. But it isn't nearly over.

Think about it. What you have at this point is someone who is already proven to care about your product. The money is already out of their pocket and it's in their hands.

Now there is an opportunity to do something that most businesses fail to do effectively:

1. Give them something extra that they weren't expecting. A small gift leaves a lasting impression if it wasn't something they paid for. It can be cheap and it can be anything - but this is one of the easiest ways to show a customer that you care and gain loyalty. You can put a QR code on the miscellaneous gift that says "What is this?" When they go to this page they'll learn what it is, see that it is a gift (otherwise they may just think a mistake was made), and love you for it. You can incentivize a newsletter capture on this page as well that will follow up with a review request sometime later.

2. Treat your packing slips as another step in the "funnel." Do NOT try and stuff everything that someone needs to know about your product, brand story... whatever.. on those page(s). Give them enough to cover basics, but this is the opportunity to lead them to a landing page - grab their email (if you don't already have it... AMZ sales for example) and provide a unique onboarding experience that leaves them wanting to leave a review and share.

3. Turn them into affiliates. For example, part of your packing slip could say "Know someone else who wants X? Earn $10 for every sale." Then you put a QR code that leads them to a page for this.

4. Get free content and promotion! Something that tells customers - "earn $X off your next order by posting a photo/video to IG." This is just an example, but there are many effective ways to do this as well.

5. Make it clear that if there is an issue, it will be taken care of. If a customer receives something and it's broken or defective - the gut reaction is to get a refund and maybe even leave a hateful review. You can step right in front of that here with a properly worded commitment to customer support.

There is obviously more that you can do with this, but the point I am trying to make is that the customer receiving the product is only the win if you make it the win.

In reality, making sure you have more hooks after a customer receives their product is going to be one of the largest contributors to the organic growth of your business.

Organic growth = fat margins.

In conclusion, take the time to turn your Customer's unboxing experience into something that tells them that you care and have more value to offer, and capitalize on the opportunity for more organic growth.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
3. Turn them into affiliates. For example, part of your packing slip could say "Know someone else who wants X? Earn $10 for every sale." Then you put a QR code that leads them to a page for this.

Agree that the effort put into this can pay dividends and doesn't tie you to spending money on ads to get sales!

ohmamecr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Dec 12, 2021
This is a post more targeted towards people who sell physical products, but I imagine that it has broader application.

I'm currently eating and in a trance after a prolonged period of looking at spreadsheets - so I'll do my best to be clear and straight to the point.

I'd also like to add that I am guilty of this mistake - which is what prompted me to make the post.

The mistake is not taking your packing slips and customer onboarding process seriously enough.

Even saying it, I realize that it may sound like no big deal, but SO MUCH CAN BE WON BY DOING JUST A LITTLE BIT OF FRONT END WORK ON THIS.

We all track our CPC, conversion rates, margins, etc... but what happens when the customer gets their product?

Many people think that's game over. You won the customer and now if they like the product enough - they'll tell others about it!

Think about it. What you have at this point is someone who is already proven to care about your product. The money is already out of their pocket and it's in their hands.

Now there is an opportunity to do something that most businesses fail to do effectively:

1. Give them something extra that they weren't expecting. A small gift leaves a lasting impression if it wasn't something they paid for. It can be cheap and it can be anything - but this is one of the easiest ways to show a customer that you care and gain loyalty. You can put a QR code on the miscellaneous gift that says "What is this?" When they go to this page they'll learn what it is, see that it is a gift (otherwise they may just think a mistake was made), and love you for it. You can incentivize a newsletter capture on this page as well that will follow up with a review request sometime later.

2. Treat your packing slips as another step in the "funnel." Do NOT try and stuff everything that someone needs to know about your product, brand story... whatever.. on those page(s). Give them enough to cover basics, but this is the opportunity to lead them to a landing page - grab their email (if you don't already have it... AMZ sales for example) and provide a unique onboarding experience that leaves them wanting to leave a review and share.

4. ¡Obtenga contenido y promoción gratis ! Algo que les dice a los clientes: "gane $ X de descuento en su próximo pedido publicando una foto / video en IG". Este es solo un ejemplo, pero también hay muchas formas efectivas de hacerlo.

5. Deje en claro que si hay un problema, se solucionará . Si un cliente recibe algo y está roto o defectuoso, la reacción instintiva es obtener un reembolso y tal vez incluso dejar una reseña odiosa. Puede dar un paso al frente de eso aquí con un compromiso con la atención al cliente debidamente redactado.

Es evidente que hay más que se puede hacer con esto, pero el punto que estoy tratando de hacer es que el cliente recibe el producto es solamente la victoria si se hace con la victoria.

En realidad, asegurarse de tener más ganchos después de que un cliente reciba su producto será uno de los mayores contribuyentes al crecimiento orgánico de su negocio.

Crecimiento orgánico = márgenes de grasa.

En conclusión, tómese el tiempo para convertir la experiencia de unboxing de su Cliente en algo que les diga que le importa y que tiene más valor que ofrecer, y capitalice la oportunidad de un crecimiento más orgánico.
Completely agree, high value content my g

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Excellent advice. Great tips. Thanks for the post.

My company has been using old fashioned cards to do similar things, which we send 6 months after purchase. I never thought to do it on a packing slip.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Excellent advice, minimally worth a NOTABLE. I put a bookmark in every order but i probably should be doing more.

IMG_2199.JPG

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Thanks for the reminder!

A caveat - measure how well this works too. I had a client who was putting discount coupons into every box, at a cost of thousands per year for printing. She only had 1 person use it - ever. (I convinced her to hire a VA instead of wasting $ on printing..)

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Excellent advice, minimally worth a NOTABLE. I put a bookmark in every order but i probably should be doing more.

View attachment 41139
Thanks MJ!

Just an idea - but what about a Thumbnail with a catchy headline (QR code underneath) that leads people to a landing page where you dish out some more valuable content.

Or - if you want them to join the forum as the main goal - the QR code could lead to a link of one of your posts - where the post features the video referenced in the thumbnail at the top.

This could get people onto the forum and reading a thread.

Just the concept of course. The same could also be done with any gold thread, etc.

RttPtt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 6, 2021
Finland
Brilliant post. Hadn't thought about most of those points. Instant value.

pumpkinman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 20, 2021
Yes, even a hand written thank you on the packing slip is a great start. To be honest we do this when my band sends out merch. I should really start doing it for my new e-commerce business too. Thanks for the reminder. I want to implement some of the example ideas you mentioned in the new year as well.

Ovidiu

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
May 9, 2018
Romania

4. Get free content and promotion! Something that tells customers - "earn $X off your next order by posting a photo/video to IG." This is just an example, but there are many effective ways to do this as well.

5. Make it clear that if there is an issue, it will be taken care of. If a customer receives something and it's broken or defective - the gut reaction is to get a refund and maybe even leave a hateful review. You can step right in front of that here with a properly worded commitment to customer support.

There is obviously more that you can do with this, but the point I am trying to make is that the customer receiving the product is only the win if you make it the win.

In reality, making sure you have more hooks after a customer receives their product is going to be one of the largest contributors to the organic growth of your business.

In conclusion, take the time to turn your Customer's unboxing experience into something that tells them that you care and have more value to offer, and capitalize on the opportunity for more organic growth.
I put a 10% discount for a second order in the next 30 days. It actually works!

Themisfit

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 23, 2019
Excellent advice. Thanks for sharing

ateares

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 10, 2016

These are great ideas. Need to incorporate these into our SOPs for ecom brands. Thanks for sharing!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's another great marketing strategy that is SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE, but it is only EFFECTIVE if your product speaks for itself. @Johnny boy this might be something you can deploy...

Makes sure to advertise your company in places that showcases your awesome work.

On my morning walk, I was walking by my neighbors house which is HUGE, larger than my own. It was at least 3 acres and pristinely manicured and landscaped. Outside the huge gates to the home, we saw this sign:

IMG_7580 copy.jpg
I snapped a photo as the landscapers I currently employ at my home seems to be doing the bare necessities, and they are expensive as heck. I will give this company a call and give them a chance at securing my business as a new client for landscaping ... all made possible by a simple cheap $2 sign strategically placed.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Here's another great marketing strategy that is SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE, but it is only EFFECTIVE if your product speaks for itself. @Johnny boy this might be something you can deploy...

Makes sure to advertise your company in places that showcases your awesome work.

On my morning walk, I was walking by my neighbors house which is HUGE, larger than my own. It was at least 3 acres and pristinely manicured and landscaped. Outside the huge gates to the home, we saw this sign:

View attachment 43262
I snapped a photo as the landscapers I currently employ at my home seems to be doing the bare necessities, and they are expensive as heck. I will give this company a call and give them a chance at securing my business as a new client for landscaping ... all made possible by a simple cheap $2 sign strategically placed.

We used to do something similar with one of our products -- our strategy at the time was sending a small fridge magnet , with website / phone number / small discount that they can use to reorder, or pass onto friends if they wanted!

Magnets were very inexpensive to print and include with each order sent out - and our belief was that it was a great physical reminder of our product, and how to get one in their hands! Plus - magnets have a functional use, which we thought was a bonus, and wouldn't get tossed out immediately!

Our strategy worked and over time slowly the 'magnet' referral discount codes started rolling in which paid off for that 'marketing' campaign handsomely.

Promotion does NOT need to be hiring agencies for tens of thousands of dollars, or spending countless amounts on adwords and other exhausted ad streams.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
It kinda blows my mind that @MJ DeMarco will go on a morning walk, see a sign, and it makes him think of me and my company.

I bet those guys do great work. Their facebook page has 3 reviews and all from 2013 so it looks like they've been doing it a while.

G

GuestR401x3

A great reminder.

And it works no matter what industry or who you're selling to. Everyone loves to get more value than they thought they were going to.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
It kinda blows my mind that @MJ DeMarco will go on a morning walk, see a sign, and it makes him think of me and my company.

I bet those guys do great work. Their facebook page has 3 reviews and all from 2013 so it looks like they've been doing it a while.

You're kind of a legend Johnny boy. Inspiring to people all over the world.

Mavrick614

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 13, 2022
Yard signs are a comical ROI for any service based business.

One of our roofing customers gives the customer a discount to leave it in their front lawn for a week after service. They constantly get neighbors wondering what's going on, and the keeping up with the Jones effect hits hard too

Rperrett2

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 8, 2022
I have a service based business, I use the road signs. I also send every customer a hand written post card with my logo on it after a completed project just thanking them for their business.

This thread has me thinking what else I could add to the post card...maybe a discount on future service or promoted service. Maybe a referral program. Maybe just a free t shirt or hat for a review or social media share... Great Thread

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
Thanks for the thread, this is a brilliant read and there's a lot of stuff in here that I need to integrate into my biz. Funny enough I'm working on my post-purchase flows right now and stumbled across this thread on accident.

This gem was especially helpful though. Very simple, effectively free (for me with digital products), and has sooooo many potential upsides. I can't wait to integrate this one especially!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.