The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Took 1 year to build a course. Should I give it away for free?

Marketing, social media, advertising

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
I've spent 2021 building a course (150+ videos). Except for 300 subscribers on YouTube, I have no audience.

Seeking the wisdom of those who've already gone through this: should I publish my course for free on YouTube to build an audience and trust I'll figure out monetization later or should I figure out how to build an audience now (that doesn't involve publishing my course)?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Take the best piece from the course and use that as a lead magnet, then upsell them the full course as a tripwire, then upsell those that buy the tripwire your core product - that could be your 1 on 1 consultation to help them execute whatever they just learned.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjAqfsLwEm0&t=1s

If you need help executing this PM me. I'll see what I can do :)

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Course in what?

If it was Maths for school age children the answer is not really. If it was in how to give your dog a pedicure the answer would most likely be yes.

Dan

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've spent 2021 building a course (150+ videos). Except for 300 subscribers on YouTube, I have no audience.

Seeking the wisdom of those who've already gone through this: should I publish my course for free on YouTube to build an audience and trust I'll figure out monetization later or should I figure out how to build an audience now (that doesn't involve publishing my course)?
Maybe things in here might help:

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Thanks for your answers guys, appreciate it!

Build the audience. Give away something smaller maybe like an eBook.
Take the best piece from the course and use that as a lead magnet, then upsell them the full course as a tripwire, then upsell those that buy the tripwire your core product - that could be your 1 on 1 consultation to help them execute whatever they just learned.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjAqfsLwEm0&t=1s

If you need help executing this PM me. I'll see what I can do :)
The course has two parts: getting up to speed with the software and configuring it so it automates most of the process and integrates a lot of usually external workflows. I was thinking about giving the first part up for free.

Thanks for offering to help 100k, appreciate it! I'll check the video asap.

Course in what?

If it was Maths for school age children the answer is not really. If it was in how to give your dog a pedicure the answer would most likely be yes.

Dan
It's a course for programmers to master VS Code so I think it qualifies as building the audience seperately :)

Maybe things in here might help:
Thanks Andy!

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Go to a Facebook group/Discord/Forum for VS and become "that guy" by consistently helping out others and establishing yourself as the expert. Then you could do what @100k posted once you've got a good rep with that particular community and offer 1 on 1 coaching.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

You should have plenty of material to put together some short teaser versions of parts of your class. Create your "hooks" carefully and thoughtfully. If the receiving person is interested, they will come back for more. That's where you put your link to buy your class. Your next step is to create a following through a targeting marketing plan. It sounds like that is a new skill for you...

And here's the hidden gem -- by testing the market with some "shorts", you can find out what part of your course you need to expand. Target your client's exact needs.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Go to a Facebook group/Discord/Forum for VS and become "that guy" by consistently helping out others and establishing yourself as the expert. Then you could do what @100k posted once you've got a good rep with that particular community and offer 1 on 1 coaching.
Yeah, I was starting to get a rep after having recorded 500+ videos on YouTube for VS Code settings. They even featured me at a Microsoft event. I then focused on creating the course and didn't have time for that anymore, but I'd like to keep offering that kind of value. I think that's something I'll start doing soon now that the course is almost done.

You should have plenty of material to put together some short teaser versions of parts of your class. Create your "hooks" carefully and thoughtfully. If the receiving person is interested, they will come back for more. That's where you put your link to buy your class. Your next step is to create a following through a targeting marketing plan. It sounds like that is a new skill for you...

And here's the hidden gem -- by testing the market with some "shorts", you can find out what part of your course you need to expand. Target your client's exact needs.
Indeed building an audience/community is a new skill for me. First time building one. Creating "shorts" is a great idea, thanks for that!

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah, I was starting to get a rep after having recorded 500+ videos on YouTube for VS Code settings. They even featured me at a Microsoft event.

Ok, then you're way ahead of the curve. Just leverage that.

How many subscribers and average views per video do you have? A friend of mine here on the forum built a channel from scratch about Facebook and Google ads to 14K subscribers and has a lot of business owners reaching out to work with him because they see him as THE guy. And that began way before he got to 14k. So make use of that YouTube channel for your funnel.

Last edited:

hisamats

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Feb 23, 2019
One thought/recent observation: Was researching offers to learn Python – and basically, I felt torn between two types of courses: 30 Minutes vs. 30 Hours. Neither one gave me the feeling of being in the right place.

Can't help with YT / community.
Also started an online training venture (in B2B), and was driven by fear of underdelivering, ending up offering too much stuff with nobody completing the damn thing or people shying away from too much complexity. Reworked everything and threw stuff out making things more modular, so HR/buyers feel they have a say. MS inviting you sounds awesome; you seem to do a great job content- or topic-wise! And great job producing; for me that was a long ride through the desert.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
One thought/recent observation: Was researching offers to learn Python – and basically, I felt torn between two types of courses: 30 Minutes vs. 30 Hours. Neither one gave me the feeling of being in the right place.

Also started an online training venture (in B2B), and was driven by fear of underdelivering, ending up offering too much stuff with nobody completing the damn thing or people shying away from too much complexity. Reworked everything and threw stuff out making things more modular, so HR/buyers feel they have a say. MS inviting you sounds awesome; you seem to do a great job content- or topic-wise! And great job producing; for me that was a long ride through the desert.
I appreciate your input. Something I'm definitely doing is modularizing the course and allowing customers to choose the level of complexity they feel most comfortable with.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018

Regarding the Python course, check these awesome resources: Find the best online Programming courses and Tutorials - Hackr.io

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Nice. This is one of the best articles I've seen to understand Twitter, other platforms, and newsletters.
Ah yes. I found his stuff when I was on Twitter. He’s excellent. I’ve not read that article, thanks for the share.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.