The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lawn Maintenance As Service

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Hi All

This is my lawn maintenance progress thread for a lawn maintenance company I started early this week in Nor Cal. I will be posting any updates ~biweekly. Post inspired by @Johnny boy

My Objective get to $12,500 in monthly gross receipts & hire a full-time crew by the beginning of next spring (March).

So Far
Qualified Leads: 5
Clients: 2
Monthly Gross: $225

My Marketing Plan:
Distribute door hangers every 4 weeks in 3 zip codes
Target 3 zip codes on Google & Facebook, Yelp( ~$30 a day budget)
Rank my sales page for 3 zip codes

Why 3 zip codes? Route density is the name of the game lawn care.

Equipment:
Vehicles - still deciding on what to get.
Ego Electric Mower, blower, weed eater, bush trimmer, - pretty much 0 maintenance, electricity is cheap,

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 12.44.32 PM.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
How are you managing battery charge throughout the day? I was looking at buying an electric leaf blower for my yard and the 15 minute battery life turned me off it.
ego blower runs up to 75 mins on 1 battery, we have extra batteries plus charge on go just in case

Last edited:

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
I read your other thread and see you're selling a product on Amazon as well, which business do you plan on focusing on in the event you need to drop one of them? I'd also look into yard signs, great way to advertise as a smaller business. If you're able to start with lawn care, and expand into gutter cleaning/christmas lights/fall & spring clean ups, you should be able to keep your crews going year round. I'm actually pivoting from pressure washing to primarily lawn care/landscaping as well since there's the repeatability of it.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
I read your other thread and see you're selling a product on Amazon as well, which business do you plan on focusing on in the event you need to drop one of them? I'd also look into yard signs, great way to advertise as a smaller business. If you're able to start with lawn care, and expand into gutter cleaning/christmas lights/fall & spring clean ups, you should be able to keep your crews going year round. I'm actually pivoting from pressure washing to primarily lawn care/landscaping as well since there's the repeatability of it.
I would say the service business has a 95% chance of survival past year 3 but my product business has about a 30% chance of survival past year 3. I would probably drop the product business first.

We do landscaping service year round, so I wont need to diversify with other stuff. Plus our customers are on a 12 month payment plan.

Smart on moving towards a recurring service.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Customers don't give a shit until spring. You have like 4 months available for signing up 90% of your customers. March, April, May, and June (with parts of July).

I remember hanging door hangers and getting one single customer after doing it for an entire month. Shit was depressing.

Rank your listing high on google. That's the most important.

1. Name of your google listing should be almost an identical match to the most popular search result in your area, and contain the name of the city you're in. Example: "Razor's Edge Lawn Care Services - Portland"

2. Follow the standard N.A.P format for SEO. Make sure your name, address, and phone number along with other info all match across your website, fb page, etc.

3. Get your buddies to write reviews for your new business. Get like 10 padded reviews to start off.

4. Make sure the brand is listed in different areas like on yelp, home advisor, social media, etc. Those create backlinks that give your listing some authority.

We are always in the top few listings for almost all searches for lawn care service in our area by following these strategies.

Also, advertise on craigslist. It works pretty well. Very cheap.

In spring, run fb ads heavily. Out of season your cost per lead will skyrocket though so we only run them in spring. Ask me and I'll tell you how we do our fb ads.

You will need a customer service person. I have someone hired but you might want to look into an answering service. This is very important because most companies are just some dude and his cell phone answering calls and handling complaints. Very unprofessional. You need a soft-spoken chick working the phones.

Please don't use electric shit. We have many customers who actually bought electric mowers, realized it was about as powerful as an easy-bake oven, and then called us.

811YHQ5vJvL._AC_SL1500_.png

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Customers don't give a shit until spring. You have like 4 months available for signing up 90% of your customers. March, April, May, and June (with parts of July).

I remember hanging door hangers and getting one single customer after doing it for an entire month. Shit was depressing.

Rank your listing high on google. That's the most important.

1. Name of your google listing should be almost an identical match to the most popular search result in your area, and contain the name of the city you're in. Example: "Razor's Edge Lawn Care Services - Portland"

2. Follow the standard N.A.P format for SEO. Make sure your name, address, and phone number along with other info all match across your website, fb page, etc.

3. Get your buddies to write reviews for your new business. Get like 10 padded reviews to start off.

4. Make sure the brand is listed in different areas like on yelp, home advisor, social media, etc. Those create backlinks that give your listing some authority.

We are always in the top few listings for almost all searches for lawn care service in our area by following these strategies.

Also, advertise on craigslist. It works pretty well. Very cheap.

In spring, run fb ads heavily. Out of season your cost per lead will skyrocket though so we only run them in spring. Ask me and I'll tell you how we do our fb ads.

You will need a customer service person. I have someone hired but you might want to look into an answering service. This is very important because most companies are just some dude and his cell phone answering calls and handling complaints. Very unprofessional. You need a soft-spoken chick working the phones.

Please don't use electric shit. We have many customers who actually bought electric mowers, realized it was about as powerful as an easy-bake oven, and then called us.

View attachment 40868
exactly, signing up clients during the winter is very hard. I signed up my 3rd client ($165 monthly) that turned out be a tweaker.... 3 days after paying the invoice pulled a charge back on us.

Yes, I would love to learn how you use Facebook to get clients.

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
exactly, signing up clients during the winter is very hard. I signed up my 3rd client ($165 monthly) that turned out be a tweaker.... 3 days after paying the invoice pulled a charge back on us.

Yes, I would love to learn how you use Facebook to get clients.
Shoot me a private message and I’ll give you my number and we can chat.

Sorry to hear about the chargeback. Have you decided on what you’re going to throw through their window at night next week? A brick? A rock?

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Shoot me a private message and I’ll give you my number and we can chat.

Sorry to hear about the chargeback. Have you decided on what you’re going to throw through their window at night next week? A brick? A rock?
Thank you, pm'ed you.
nah. I'm not about revenge. If anything, I will probably hand deliver a paper invoice as I drive by that place weekly.

Last edited:

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
UPDATE:
MRR: $2500
Clients: 16
1 Part-Time Employee
1 fleet vehicle $8k
Got my 1st client as referral. I pay my customers $60 for every successfully referral.
Growth is slower than expected, Growth will accelerate once I turn on G Local Service Ads & Spring comes
1 Part-Time Employee
1 fleet vehicle $8k

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
UPDATE:
MRR: $2500
Clients: 16
1 Part-Time Employee
1 fleet vehicle $8k
Got my 1st client as referral. I pay my customers $60 for every successfully referral.
Growth is slower than expected, Growth will accelerate once I turn on G Local Service Ads & Spring comes
1 Part-Time Employee
1 fleet vehicle $8k
I second what @Johnny boy is telling you to do. Focus heavily on the online reviews and being top of the google search for lawncare.

Not sure what Nor Cal is like with paper ads or what your main demographic is (older, middle age, younger), but when I used to run paper ads through my local area, I get like 5-10 calls per day for lawn care and even landscaping projects (which I did not do at the time).

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
I second what @Johnny boy is telling you to do. Focus heavily on the online reviews and being top of the google search for lawncare.

Not sure what Nor Cal is like with paper ads or what your main demographic is (older, middle age, younger), but when I used to run paper ads through my local area, I get like 5-10 calls per day for lawn care and even landscaping projects (which I did not do at the time).
I meant Google Local Service Ads, not news papers. I am currently spending $500 a month on SEO & $450 a month on Google Search Ads.

Newspapers might be interesting to test.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
GLSA is a strange channel. At my W2 I manage it for ~40 markets, nationwide, each with separate profiles. It's very hit or miss and requires a strong ability to pick up the phone & sell. I will say it is absolutely mandatory to get the google guaranteed badge & have good reviews. Miss either one of these things and I'd be surprised if you get any lead volume.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
GLSA is a strange channel. At my W2 I manage it for ~40 markets, nationwide, each with separate profiles. It's very hit or miss and requires a strong ability to pick up the phone & sell. I will say it is absolutely mandatory to get the google guaranteed badge & have good reviews. Miss either one of these things and I'd be surprised if you get any lead volume.
Trying to get started with the local service ads and it's requiring a contractors license?? Am I missing something or is that a requirement to pay for local service ads?

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Trying to get started with the local service ads and it's requiring a contractors license?? Am I missing something or is that a requirement to pay for local service ads?
The requirements can be different depending on the industry/services & market(s) you operate in. Here is a relevant help page directly from Google:

I just made a fake account to see what lawn care in WA looks like and it seems that the contractors license and everything else I cirecled is required to get a google badge but NOT necessary to run ads.
1644351908623.png

However... you really want that google badge because without it you'll never show up on the SERP or in the top results on the service providers page:

1644352080140.png

1644352112067.png

Side note: LSA competition in Seattle looks really weak for Lawn Care. Only 3 google guaranteed providers and the best of them has a 4.3 star rating with 119 reviews.

For comparison here is what the moving industry looks like (18 badge'd providers, way more without badges below, folks with 4.9 stars with 400+ reviews.)

1644352233938.png

@Johnny boy - By the way, since you've given so much value on the forum feel free to DM me if you want some help here. One issue I've seen a few times is that the background check process can get stuck and you'll never hear back from Evident (the company Google goes through to complete it) - In this case hit me up and I'll ask our company contact at LSA if she can look into it.

Last edited:

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
I just made a fake account to see what lawn care in WA looks like and it seems that the contractors license and everything else I cirecled is required to get a google badge but NOT necessary to run ads.
I made an account with LSA thats passed all the checks except the license-still waiting for my local license. My ads are not showing up even though my ads are enabled. Is there a work around?

For context, Im in lawn care in Sacramento, CA.
Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 2.05.34 PM.png

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 2, 2019
I'm surprised no one ever mentions nextdoor.com on this forum.

I would assume there are areas where people are more active on it than others, but at least here where I live, there are ALWAYS neighbors asking for recommendations for home services (landscaping, drywall, window cleaning, house cleaners, concrete, general contractors, carpet cleaners, handymen, you name it).

As I told Johnny Boy not too long ago, out here, there are ALWAYS people looking/asking for someone to take care of their lawn (and snow removal right now). The demand is so great, I'm actually considering doing the same thing!

They also offer the option of running ads, etc, but I really doubt they're needed. You just need to sign someone up in your neighborhood or the surrounding area and then have them recommend you on nextdoor. Your phone should explode.

We've found many jobs through there, but, somehow no one has taken the time to recommend us on it, yet. Others I've actually asked to recommend us, end up telling me they're not on it (They've found us on Google or somewhere else).

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO

I would assume there are areas where people are more active on it than others, but at least here where I live, there are ALWAYS neighbors asking for recommendations for home services (landscaping, drywall, window cleaning, house cleaners, concrete, general contractors, carpet cleaners, handymen, you name it).

As I told Johnny Boy not too long ago, out here, there are ALWAYS people looking/asking for someone to take care of their lawn (and snow removal right now). The demand is so great, I'm actually considering doing the same thing!

They also offer the option of running ads, etc, but I really doubt they're needed. You just need to sign someone up in your neighborhood or the surrounding area and then have them recommend you on nextdoor. Your phone should explode.

We've found many jobs through there, but, somehow no one has taken the time to recommend us on it, yet. Others I've actually asked to recommend us, end up telling me they're not on it (They've found us on Google or somewhere else).
I've tried Nextdoor, the platform is a complete mess, especially painful for businesses that work in multiple zip codes, let alone markets/DMVs/etc. I'm sure there is a way to get it to work but I just haven't personally found it.

Last edited:

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I made an account with LSA thats passed all the checks except the license-still waiting for my local license. My ads are not showing up even though my ads are enabled. Is there a work around?

For context, Im in lawn care in Sacramento, CA.
View attachment 42035
Troubleshooting:
1. Do you have billing in place? edit: yes you do, clearly.
2. Is your profile fully set-up? This includes things like hours & service area.
3. Are you bidding/budgeting properly?
4. R/R/R - reviews, responsiveness, relevancy (location between your service area ans customer): These are your primary 3 ranking factors. If any of them are off then you will struggle to compete in the auction.

If you wouldn't mind screenshotting your profile & budget tab + live accounts tab then that would help me see what the issue might be. Feel free to DM if you are worried about showing sensitive information like biz name.

Unfortunately, the reporting on LSA is complete dog-shit so after you launch the only way to know if your ads are showing is either through lead flow or trying to find your own ad live in a search.

Last edited:

wanttogofaster

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 2, 2019
I've tried Nextdoor, the platform is a complete mess, especially painful for businesses that work in multiple zip codes, let alone markets/DMVs/etc. I'm sure there is a way to get it to work but I just haven't personally found it.
I see... As I said, I think that if you get someone to sign up and recommend you there, you should not need to pay anything. Not long ago, every time you posted something, it was mostly your neighbors that saw it, but I keep seeing more and more posts from people in other neighborhoods not even close to ours.

I know a drywall repair guy whose name comes up EVERY time someone asks for a recommendation for a drywall repair person or company. From what he told me, he is making $100K a month just from nextdoor referrals. I don't know if it's true or not based on what he charged me when I had him help me with a project, but he's definitely getting lots of business from it.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast

I have spent a couple hundred dollars on Nextdoor (sponsored and deals) , Nada, $0. I was even running $1 no brainer offers. Nextdoor is a mess for local biz.

I am now trying to get my clients to recommend me on Nextdoor.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
UPDATE:
Growth slower than expected, I was hoping to close in on $7K MRR by now.
Hopefully, once I pass the test for license requirement for LSA Ads, my lead volume will increase.

MRR: $4500
Fleet vehicle: 2012 Prius V (we only use client's green waste containers for grass clippings)

Side Note: I have to educate most of my clients on my services (mow, blow, fert, aerate), as my prices are 1.5X - 2.5X compared to my top competitors. My clients are used to paying a mexican $55 a month for biweekly mow, blow, & trim bushes. We charge the same client $125+ a month for the same property, just by adding fertilizer and aeration to the mix.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
UPDATE:
Growth slower than expected, I was hoping to close in on $7K MRR by now.
Hopefully, once I pass the test for license requirement for LSA Ads, my lead volume will increase.

MRR: $4500
Fleet vehicle: 2012 Prius V (we only use client's green waste containers for grass clippings)

Side Note: I have to educate most of my clients on my services (mow, blow, fert, aerate), as my prices are 1.5X - 2.5X compared to my top competitors. My clients are used to paying a mexican $55 a month for biweekly mow, blow, & trim bushes. We charge the same client $125+ a month for the same property, just by adding fertilizer and aeration to the mix.
Nice bro

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
I gotta say, growing the online product business is easier (in general) than a local lawn care biz. No leads to follow up, no Karens to deal with, no equipment breaking, no missed call anxiety.

My Lawn Care Biz Numbers So Far (I'm not including cleanups profits, as they are not recurring)

MRR: $9,000 a month
Overhead $800 a month (gas, chem, depreciation, SASS, insurance)
Field Employee cost $2880
Net profit margin~60%(not including marketing costs) - I am excluding ad cost bc they are temporary. I will be pausing the ads once I fill up our schedule with contracts.

So far, just one week and few days are booked up for a one man crew.

Learn Sales(not high pressure sales): my leads constantly hurl objections at me "ok, sounds good, but i gotta talk to my dog about this or I am still gathering quotes from other companies" I could walk away or handle the objection right there. I have closed countless leads by overcoming their objections on the spot.

Pick your software wisely: I'm so glad, I switched to from House Call Pro to Jobber at very beginning. Jobber is a much more scalable and flexible payment system/CRM than House Call Pro.

Last edited:

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
I gotta say, growing the online product business is easier (in general) than a local lawn care biz. No leads to follow up, no Karens to deal with, no equipment breaking, no missed call anxiety.

My Lawn Care Biz Numbers So Far (I'm not including cleanups profits, as they are not recurring)

MRR: $9,000 a month
Overhead $800 a month (gas, chem, depreciation, SASS, insurance)
Field Employee cost $2880
Net profit margin~60%(not including marketing costs) - I am excluding ad cost bc they are temporary. I will be pausing the ads once I fill up our schedule with contracts.

So far, just one week and few days are booked up for a one man crew.

Learn Sales(not high pressure sales): my leads constantly hurl objections at me "ok, sounds good, but i gotta talk to my dog about this or I am still gathering quotes from other companies" I could walk away or handle the objection right there. I have closed countless leads by overcoming their objections on the spot.

Pick your software wisely: I'm so glad, I switched to from House Call Pro to Jobber at very beginning. Jobber is a much more scalable and flexible payment system/CRM than House Call Pro.
Nice work so far! I'm working on getting into lawn care (currently in pressure washing/gutter cleaning), but one of the things with these outdoor service businesses thats kind of a POA is that they're really weather dependent (I made $1000 yesterday pressure washing and had to re-schedule all my clients today because of thunder storms.. talk about inconsistency). Out of curiosity, what do you think of jobber in terms of scalability? It seems like housecall pro would be better for a larger company, right? HCP seems like it has much more features, I'll have to grab a demo of jobber.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Nice work so far! I'm working on getting into lawn care (currently in pressure washing/gutter cleaning), but one of the things with these outdoor service businesses thats kind of a POA is that they're really weather dependent (I made $1000 yesterday pressure washing and had to re-schedule all my clients today because of thunder storms.. talk about inconsistency). Out of curiosity, what do you think of jobber in terms of scalability? It seems like housecall pro would be better for a larger company, right? HCP seems like it has much more features, I'll have to grab a demo of jobber.
Nice! For example, in Jobber you can specify how many visits you have per month on Autopay, not so in HCP, etc. Let me know if ur going with Jobber, I can send you a link to get a 60 day free trial.

Last edited:

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
4B393C9C-7447-4553-BD22-CF492FB8E091.jpeg
Nice to be able to go skiing on a Thursday afternoon, without asking for a day off. While I’m skiing lawns are still being mowed and leaves blown.

My dinky Little lawn care business is up to 17K a month now, mostly recurring revenue.

I’m going to keep it as is at the moment and grow the product biz, its more interesting.

It’s effing cold, I gotta put my glove back on!

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
How do you overcome "but i gotta talk to my dog about this" objections?

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Number one rule in sales , be presentable. Pull up to their overgrown yard with Hair slicked back, mirror polished dress shoes, In a vintage car!
It’s easier to handle objections that way!

Trust me I know!

When they hurl that objection at u, your job is to remove as much risk as possible and create scarcity for them signing up.

“ you know Jack our crew can handle only eight properties a day and we only have x number of spots left in this neighborhood. (Truth) Let’s get you on the schedule right now to secure your spot, But if for any reason you’re wife/dog doesn't want to get the backyard in order. You call or text me back before the first visit & I’ll close your account down”

Once you get the card on file and on the schedule, they are much less likely to cancel service. Vs if you try to follow up after they talk to their significant other.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.