The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

YouTube removes dislike button, potentially ruining the platform.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
YouTube Finally did it!!! No more dislike button!

I am happy because now I have only them to let me know if the general consensus on something is negative. One less thing that I need to think about.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I am happy because now I have only them to let me know if the general consensus on something is negative. One less thing that I need to think about.

I don't get it. How am I supposed to judge the video's quality now in a new topic I know little about? A high number of dislikes indicated something off. Now it's impossible to tell who's telling BS.

Which I guess is exactly what YouTube wants...

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I don't get it. How am I supposed to judge the video's quality now in a new topic I know little about? A high number of dislikes indicated something off. Now it's impossible to tell who's telling BS.

Which I guess is exactly what YouTube wants...
Always ask, "who benefits?"

This one is pretty obvious ~

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
It is absolutely insane. Anyone who makes a video could have disabled the like/dislike button and comments if they wanted to. All of this existed!!!!! Now they just forced it on someone.

It's absolutely bonkers. No one wants this. Well no one but big media, big government, bit pharma....

If negatively effects content creators. How do they know what works and what doesn't now? Maybe they are trying something new, how are they to know if their audience likes it. Less views, is it due to them not liking it or them not finding it?

Movie trailer... Now you have to sit through the whole thing. If I clicked on a new movie trailer and it was 50/50 likes to dislikes I would not even bother, you know it will be trash.

Some insane government poll. Is some political party up 40% over the other guy in the polls? YouTube says it's 90% negative? There is probably some spin.

It is such a bad move.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It is absolutely insane. Anyone who makes a video could have disabled the like/dislike button and comments if they wanted to. All of this existed!!!!! Now they just forced it on someone.

It's absolutely bonkers. No one wants this. Well no one but big media, big government, bit pharma....

If negatively effects content creators. How do they know what works and what doesn't now? Maybe they are trying something new, how are they to know if their audience likes it. Less views, is it due to them not liking it or them not finding it?

Movie trailer... Now you have to sit through the whole thing. If I clicked on a new movie trailer and it was 50/50 likes to dislikes I would not even bother, you know it will be trash.

Some insane government poll. Is some political party up 40% over the other guy in the polls? YouTube says it's 90% negative? There is probably some spin.

It is such a bad move.
It's to enforce the propaganda.

They do NOT want people to realize how unpopular Joe F---ing Biden really is.

L0l

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Unbelievable.

This is purely a move to ensure the difference between truth and propaganda can't be ascertained. There was a certain joy in having a Fauci or a CNN video have a 50 to 1 dislike to like ratio. This is no different than an "applause sign" that hangs above the crowd and commands the audience as "Dear-Leader" speaks.

You can only like what we say, there is no disagreement.

This "slippery slope" started when major news organizations removed comments from their articles...comments gave average citizens the ability to disagree and cite facts as a rebuttal. When they removed comments, they essentially were saying, "Read and shut up."

Now YouTube has done the same. "Watch and shut up."

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
This is pretty interesting - it's a direct message from the guy who made Youtube originally...

(He edited his first ever video and added this in as the new description)

Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 16.54.16.png

Link to the content here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQXAC9IVRw

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I pulled this out of the CHAT thread as it warrants its own thread.

Another thing to note that this utterly destroys is the ability to know if a video has value when searching for solutions.

I use YouTube to solve problems, for example, "Changing a battery on a Can Am UTV" -- the like/dislike ratio told me explicitly if the video solved the problem. If the vid had 10 likes and 500 dislikes, I knew I was wasting my time and could search for a better video.

This nearly makes the platform worthless in terms of efficient use of time.

And yes, it erases the ability of great content to rise to the top.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Twitter doesn't have a dislike button, and I'm sure we'd all agree that would be useful.

Personally never liked or disliked a YT video, and never really had a video's like/dislike affect my choice to view.

Also not a YT'er or content creator.

My 2cents.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Amongst the reasons cited by youtube is "Targeted dislike attacks" AKA the dislike button doing it's job.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxOuG8jMIgI&t=2s&ab_channel=YouTubeCreators

This video has a tone of condescension, Talking down to the viewer who has very valid questions, like "how will I know if a video is good now?" Don't worry, we did our own research and it shows that your assumption is wrong! "Can I see the research?" Youtube: Uhhhh...

If you're paying attention, this shouldn't surprise you. Youtube has admitted they would prop up "trusted sources" AKA the corporate media. And when the average person dislikes the video, showing they aren't happy with this content, Youtube tells you "No! You're wrong! You'll watch this and like it"

Follow the money and it all makes sense

View: https://twitter.com/_whitneywebb/status/1450464402000556039?s=20

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I know this is going to sound pessimistic, but mark down my words as a future prophesy...

YouTube will bring back the dislike bar once this political spectacle is over.

It is purely, 100% opportunistic.

In fact, they might even bring it back with doctored dislikes on specific videos.

That's my prediction. I have little faith in these people.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
This video has a tone of condescension, Talking down to the viewer who has very valid questions, like "how will I know if a video is good now?" Don't worry, we did our own research and it shows that your assumption is wrong! "Can I see the research?" Youtube: Uhhhh...

"We want our creators to feel safe"

Yes, users pressing a button that makes a counter go up makes people feel unsafe.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
WTF is wrong with these stupid tech companies. There was a time when they were respectable. But now it’s clear there is another agenda. Big opportunities in this space for those willing to step up to the plate.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

WTF is wrong with these stupid tech companies. There was a time when they were respectable. But now it’s clear there is another agenda. Big opportunities in this space for those willing to step up to the plate.
Pretty sure at this point they are being told what to do by their government herders.

Yes, we need indie platforms to step up and grow market share.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

Another thing to note that this utterly destroys is the ability to know if a video has value when searching for solutions.

I use YouTube to solve problems, for example, "Changing a battery on a Can Am UTV" -- the like/dislike ratio told me explicitly if the video solved the problem. If the vid had 10 likes and 500 dislikes, I knew I was wasting my time and could search for a better video.

Oh man, I am really ticked now. Forget politics, forget Brandon, forgot the magical injection juice... I use YouTube nearly daily for fixing things and how-to videos.

I literally fixed my washing machine about 3 days ago myself because a service tech was a week out and $400. I used YouTube and a $65 part and did it myself in an hour. I needed about 4-5 videos, which I flipped through based on the like/dislike ratio, before I settled on one that actually solved the issue and wasn't some fluff waste of time. If I were doing this job today I literally would have not been able to quickly check those videos to see if they were what I needed or not without actually sitting through them.

When I am in guitar mode I am also looking at videos often to learn songs and techniques, also chosen by the ratio.

What an absolute joke.

This is going to negatively affect my mining business in a BIG way. YouTube is my #1 source of information when trying to diagnose issues, and try out new things. There is so much absolute garbage on YouTube having things that are a waste of time being downvoted is essential. So thanks to this asinine change, my bottom line is going to be absolutely affected negatively, not only for my "fix it myself" attitude, but also my actual business relying on information. F*ck man. What a joke. I guess I can always go to Reddit where 99% of the upvoted comments and "facts" are 100% wrong. You should see the amount of completely wrong information on there. The more I am learning the more wrong that place is, and the more I see them saying something is fact.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Something will replace the system for quickly figuring out who is worth watching.

Question is... what?

Will people turn to the influencers they already follow to figure out who is worth watching?

Will some kind of comments code arise like the way people use eggplant emojis in place of #penis on Instagram?

Will this open opportunity for curation channels?

A viral rise in channels that review other channels?

Tobi17

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 28, 2017
Germany
Why wouldn't they just allow every creator to decide for themselves, if they want to show the amount of dislikes publicly on their videos or not?

Guess the tens of thousands of dislikes on the Fauci trailers or the White House videos were just too much for them and they had to cover that up by not showing folks how disliked our ruling class really is.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Why wouldn't they just allow every creator to decide for themselves, if they want to show the amount of dislikes publicly on their videos or not?

Guess the tens of thousands of dislikes on the Fauci trailers or the White House videos were just too much for them and they had to cover that up by not showing folks how disliked our ruling class really is.
This literally was already an option for creators.

Last edited:

Tobi17

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 28, 2017
Germany
This literally is already an option for creators.
So every channel is still able to show publicly on every video how much likes and dislikes they have?

I know in the past that channels could made the count private, so you didn't see neither the like nor the dislike count, they could still see the numbers in their private account.

But since youtube has made that change i haven't seen a single video where the dislike count was still visible.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"We want our creators to feel safe"

"Everybody deserves a trophy" comes to YouTube.

Oh man, I am really ticked now. Forget politics, forget Brandon, forgot the magical injection juice... I use YouTube nearly daily for fixing things and how-to videos.

I literally fixed my washing machine about 3 days ago myself because a service tech was a week out and $400. I used YouTube and a $65 part and did it myself in an hour. I needed about 4-5 videos, which I flipped through based on the like/dislike ratio, before I settled on one that actually solved the issue and wasn't some fluff waste of time. If I were doing this job today I literally would have not been able to quickly check those videos to see if they were what I needed or not without actually sitting through them.

When I am in guitar mode I am also looking at videos often to learn songs and techniques, also chosen by the ratio.

What an absolute joke.

This is going to negatively affect my mining business in a BIG way. YouTube is my #1 source of information when trying to diagnose issues, and try out new things. There is so much absolute garbage on YouTube having things that are a waste of time being downvoted is essential. So thanks to this asinine change, my bottom line is going to be absolutely affected negatively, not only for my "fix it myself" attitude, but also my actual business relying on information. f*ck man. What a joke. I guess I can always go to Reddit where 99% of the upvoted comments and "facts" are 100% wrong. You should see the amount of completely wrong information on there. The more I am learning the more wrong that place is, and the more I see them saying something is fact.

My favorite "how to" video is the one showing the guy spending 45 minutes unboxing the item while talking about everything in the box as he does it, including the plastic packaging and the aesthetic engineering of the box itself, and 5 minutes installing it.

So every channel is still able to show publicly on every video how much likes and dislikes they have?

He's saying it was ALREADY an option, and there was no need to remove it entirely.

Tobi17

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 28, 2017
Germany
He's saying it was ALREADY an option, and there was no need to remove it entirely.
Ah okay, i thought they could just hide the amount ob both, thumbs up and thumbs down, didn't know they could hide just one of them.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
So because I am in Poland I can still see the dislikes.

(Poland seems to be the last place on earth they roll out new changes haha)

Screenshot 2021-11-24 at 09.41.02.png

So basically now with the comments closed, and when they remove the dislike button, you have ZERO way to give any kind of real feedback. I know we already knew that but it still is insane to see.

It is just hard to believe that Youtube has purposely chosen to become a one-way communication channel.

Watching the propaganda machine go from "steady" to "full speed turbo mode" over the last year has been incredible. I wonder why they are speeding things up so fast and making it so out in the open.

- Either they think they have the game won and are just going all out with nothing in the way
- Or they feel things slipping away and are making a last grasp to keep the gains they already have

I can't really tell which, and it's hard to see the real picture, but it's impossible to ignore anymore.

A lot of "normal" folk are noticing this also. I get hit up all the time by people who used to never have any interest in this but who now want to know my thoughts (I post a little about these things on IG sometimes).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
is just hard to believe that Youtube has purposely chosen to become a one-way communication channel.

Make it like television = create more idiots = profit

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
impossible to ignore

I feel like this wasn't quite what the author had in mind. Then again, maybe it was? :D

9781259584138-3D.jpg

I definitely won't forget the year YouTube became trash.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I just went back and looked at the White House channel.

After the last elections, they removed all past content - so it's only the current administration's videos.

The whole thing looks like this...

( the red % is the like to dislike ratio - 9% for example means 91% of likes/dislikes are a dislike).

Screenshot 2021-11-24 at 09.54.07.png

The WHOLE collections of their videos (its 100s) are like this - all heavily disliked.

I'd say this order came from the top.

anthonyseoul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 16, 2017
London
It's becoming clearer by the day that Big Tech, Big Pharma, the media and the government are in bed with each other. It seems like this is the case the world over to a greater or lesser degree. The question is, who is really pulling the strings behind all this?

It's also becoming clear to me that most big events, that before might have just looked like isolated events, are in fact interconnected.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I feel like this wasn't quite what the author had in mind. Then again, maybe it was? :D

9781259584138-3D.jpg

I definitely won't forget the year YouTube became trash.

It was always trash. Especially when they had no age restriction for certain things....

a6tlxj2.gif

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.