The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to measure # of referrals or K-factor in ecommerce business?

Marketing, social media, advertising

TurboBox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 19, 2020
Sydney
Hey guys,

So one of the main indicators of a productocracy is word-of-mouth. But how can you measure this on a shopify store or on Google Analytics?

With repeat purchases and poor attribution on channels like Facebook ads, I'm struggling to find a way to measure and improve this.

Anyone solve this problem willing to share their solution?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey guys,

So one of the main indicators of a productocracy is word-of-mouth. But how can you measure this on a shopify store or on Google Analytics?

With repeat purchases and poor attribution on channels like Facebook ads, I'm struggling to find a way to measure and improve this.

Have you checked for mentions of your site/products across websites or social media?

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
There are sites that measure your social presence, mentions of your trademark, you can look at sales beyond marketing.

TurboBox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 19, 2020
Sydney
You can't.

Rather than say you can't and disregard the metric completely, I'm sure there's a way you can measure it to some degree of accuracy.

If software companies look at k-factor, why shouldn't an ecommerce store?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Would prefer a hard metric like a k-factor that can be measured and improved
Well I would prefer a k-factor as well, but thats not likely to happen in e-commerce.
Word-of-mouth by its very nature is an audible channel.
The closest thing to this online if someone mentions your site and/or product somewhere.

To somewhat track this you could use: About Enhanced Ecommerce - Analytics Help in combination with Google Analytics.

This will give you the best chance to attribute a sale to a source.
You can then try and cross reference the source with found mentions.
Like I said, not likely to happen.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
If you have a lot of sales, you can do some kind of after purchase survey

TurboBox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 19, 2020
Sydney
Well I would prefer a k-factor as well, but thats not likely to happen in e-commerce.
Word-of-mouth by its very nature is an audible channel.
The closest thing to this online if someone mentions your site and/or product somewhere.

To somewhat track this you could use: About Enhanced Ecommerce - Analytics Help in combination with Google Analytics.

This will give you the best chance to attribute a sale to a source.
You can then try and cross reference the source with found mentions.
Like I said, not likely to happen.
Is there no way to track new customers through google analytics? If you could attribute new customer acquisitions to channels (not just any transaction, including repeat purchase), you could compare this to the total number of customers (viewable in shopify) to get a k-factor.

You can see new users in GA but I haven't found a way to view new customers.

Since this is already very close to the solution, I'm certain there's a workaround somehow...

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Is there no way to track new customers through google analytics? If you could attribute new customer acquisitions to channels (not just any transaction, including repeat purchase), you could compare this to the total number of customers (viewable in shopify) to get a k-factor.

Since this is already very close to the solution, I'm certain there's a workaround somehow...
Thats what the Enhanced Ecommerce is used for.
You need to have both Enhanced Ecommerce and GA integrated plus a product feed submitted to google (regularly updated)
Based on that in GA you get this:

1637066583328.png

This is a breakdown of one of the Traffic Channels.
You can go more indepth with custom graphs.

BUT again, this is close to having something like a k-factor metric.
New user based on channel doesnt mean new user for sure.
What if the user just had their cookies expire? Or delete them? Or open your shop from somewhere else?
You need to work more with probabilties and marketing and not so much with general analytics.
You could be easily mislead by the data.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Create a Refer-a-Friend program with incentive.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019

You can track new users, new customers, and most their behaviour once they visited you, and compare numbers to trend of new customers VS marketing.
Why not spend all this energy on making a better product? Or doing a PR move?

TurboBox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 19, 2020
Sydney
You can track new users, new customers, and most their behaviour once they visited you, and compare numbers to trend of new customers VS marketing.
Why not spend all this energy on making a better product? Or doing a PR move?
My goal is to create a better product, but rather than rely on feedback saying "yes this is great!", I wanted a way to actually see that it's better (increasing the number of referrals per customer). For example, there's an ecommerce brand that does $200m+ per year and they say that each customer acquired is actually 1.4 customers. This sounds like they track their k-factor and monitor it closely

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hey guys,

The thing about people telling other people is you’ll probably hear about it.

People make posts online about stuff. People write articles about stuff they find. People make YouTube videos about how to solve a problem by using your product.

If you’re small, you should just call these people. If you’re big, you would be seeing evidence of digital word of mouth if it was helping people

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.