The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I lacking definite purpose?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
A while ago I wrote down my purpose. This was what I wrote:

"To add value to others' lives and leave a legacy behind. Be the one who others look up to. Achieve everlasting freedom."

The thought of having money also drives me, but I know money can't be a purpose. Purpose can't be something materialistic.

A purpose has to be everlasting, in other words, non-materialistic.

I would love to hear experienced fastlaners evaluate my purpose.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

samlarsonns

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 22, 2021
Clifton

"To add value to others' lives and leave a legacy behind. Be the one who others look up to. Achieve everlasting freedom."

The thought of having money also drives me, but I know money can't be a purpose. Purpose can't be something materialistic.

I think money and earning money could be your purpose
But what for you are earning money? Just for a living? In that case, your purpose is to live
If you want to buy a good car, house that this is your core purpose
If you want to move and live in another country and earn money for this cause then living abroad or expat is your core purpose

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Maybe be more specific with your purpose/goals?

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

A purpose is another way of saying the reason you do something.

Anything can be a purpose.

I'm doing this because:

I want to be rich.
I want respect.
I want to marry a Hooters waitress.
I want to be remembered forever.

You have to define what you mean by purpose.

In MJ parlance it's your why

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
That’s vague as F*ck

You don’t have a real goal yet.

It’s like a ship going out into sea. It needs to know where to go. You don’t talk to the captain about the route and he says “we will sail well, and avoid storms, and I’ll treat the sailors well and we will sing shanty’s”. That doesn’t answer where the F*ck you’re actually going though!

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
That’s vague as f*ck

You don’t have a real goal yet.

It’s like a ship going out into sea. It needs to know where to go. You don’t talk to the captain about the route and he says “we will sail well, and avoid storms, and I’ll treat the sailors well and we will sing shanty’s”. That doesn’t answer where the f*ck you’re actually going though!
I agree I wasn't specific. To be honest, I really don't know what makes me go through all the minor failures I've faced for now.

If I were to get more specific, here is what I'd say:

"To launch and run profitable e-com stores and businesses, so I can live life without anyone bickering what I should and should not be doing (aka the script). Buy a house in the hills and retreat there when feeling like it. Write a book or do something that obeys CENTS and helps people on a large scale."

In the end, it all boils down to freedom of choice.

I want someone to remember me for what I do like MJ, not for who I am.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I never set a purpose in my life. Just simply move towards the things you want to do. Do them with gusto and enjoy life.

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Be the one who others look up to.
I want someone to remember me for what I do like MJ, not for who I am.

Don't you think there's a bit of a conflict between these two?

If you're focused on being someone who others look up to... then you're caring about your ego and how others perceive you.

If you really want to help others and grow though, you have to be willing to set your ego aside.

You've got to be ready to take risks and fail embarrassingly again and again in the pursuit of success and helping others. You've also got to be willing to humble yourself and look up to others in order to learn from them.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Be the one who others look up to
Don't you think there's a bit of a conflict between these two?
This was taken in the context of being a leader.

A leader who works harder than his followers to reach the objective together. Sharing goals and achieving them.

I will admit, there is an ego factor involved in being a leader. Maybe I have the wrong perception of leadership that I haven't experienced firsthand. Maybe a leader has no pride.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
This was taken in the context of being a leader.

A leader who works harder than his followers to reach the objective together. Sharing goals and achieving them.

I will admit, there is an ego factor involved in being a leader. Maybe I have the wrong perception of leadership that I haven't experienced firsthand. Maybe a leader has no pride.
What @Johnny boy told you was spot on. You don't have a SPECIFIC purpose, as what you saw in my other post to the person who had a similar question. All these things that you're working on just to try and make a buck, side projects, eCom projects, affilate marketing, maybe even freelancing, you don't really want to it, isn't what you want to do from what I can tell. Now I understand you might want to get experience which is valid but that can be done on that one idea which you decide to dedicate yourself to.

I know I'm not the most qualified person to talk about this as I haven't 100% figured things out but I've realized how important purpose is and if I had one 5 years ago I'd be in a way better position than I am now. Don't take it lightly, it's serious shit.

So what is the solution?

Simple (not easy). Find something that you GENUINENLY want to work on and commit to it, the rest will fall into place. I don't think wanting to become rich is a bad goal but I think you will realize after many years that it's not something that you want, and you want a bigger purpose than money.

That's why I'm telling you this now so you don't make the same mistake that I have over the last few years and having to figure it out in 3-5 years time.

The way I look at it now is, I'm going to work on something that I genuinely have an interest in which will become my purpose, for example, "I want to solve the problem of bad back posture so I want to invent a posture corrector" (obviously this has been done, it's just an example), this has given me my purpose which is to help people fix their posture.

And the next thing which I'm going to do is to make sure that the market wants what I have to offer, and work on it until successful and if I fail, I'll probably either restart the process or realize business is not something I want to do any longer.

I understand where you're at, you're stuck in a rut and it's a money rut but please do consider to stop for a bit and consider what many of the people on this thread have said regarding purpose. All the best man!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I like what you are saying. I agree that having money is a goal rather than a purpose. One's purpose must go much deeper.

Your thread reminded me of my mother. After her death, many people came to tell me about the kind things she had done for them. She helped a lot of people in our community. I want to share her legacy when I am gone. I want people to think of me like they did about her. Toward that end, I'm working on it every day.

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
with gusto and enjoy life.
@SteveO I think you have had a purpose; maybe not something you spend weeks or years defining but to live with gusto and enjoying life is a purpose.

But Steve's comment brings up another important point: "You don't think your way into action; you act your way into thinking."

@Miketing was right on the money too. Leave your head and ego; get into your heart and "the other".

This was a great question, @Saad Khan - a lot of people want to ask this and you are serving all of us, by asking.

Look at Simon Sinek, if you like.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

Please SEARCH before posting.