The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you do

rcd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 5, 2021
Hello everyone.
I would like to ask for your help with some ideas or advice.
I have a 9 to 5 job and I've wanted to become an entrepreneur for a long time but I don't know where to start.

I have some programming experience (8 apps developed to automate some tasks in the company), a lot of experience in graphic design and photo processing and I am very good at identifying improvement opportunities in the company and creating solutions (which led me to the development of the apps).

What would you do or where would you start in this situation to become independent and quit your job?

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
The lowest barrier to entry way to get started is to do some freelancing. You can start on one of the usual sites (fiverr, upwork) and then branch out as you build a network. This has the highest probability of success, though it's still hard (in the beginning).

You can make a youtube channel and sell courses. This is more scalable, but takes more time to get going because the learning curve is steep (how to plan out content, how to make content, how to edit content, how to make thumbnails, etc.)

You could team up with a small "startup" and try to help them build something awesome, for a cut of the upside.

Really, it doesn't matter. If you spend enough time here one thing you'll learn is that there are thousands of ways to make lots of money. The thing that separates those that make money from those that don't is:

1) they start
2) they don't quit

Hope that helps.

rcd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 5, 2021
The lowest barrier to entry way to get started is to do some freelancing. You can start on one of the usual sites (fiverr, upwork) and then branch out as you build a network. This has the highest probability of success, though it's still hard (in the beginning).

You can make a youtube channel and sell courses. This is more scalable, but takes more time to get going because the learning curve is steep (how to plan out content, how to make content, how to edit content, how to make thumbnails, etc.)

You could team up with a small "startup" and try to help them build something awesome, for a cut of the upside.

Really, it doesn't matter. If you spend enough time here one thing you'll learn is that there are thousands of ways to make lots of money. The thing that separates those that make money from those that don't is:

1) they start
2) they don't quit

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the ideas.

You are totally right. I keep thinking and thinking about what can I do and I end up not executing the ideas that come up.
You are right, I need to start.

Thank you very much.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You don't need to reinvent the wheel.
Skew value and make it discernible to your audience. All it takes is one attribute, but optimally it should be several.

And don't quit your job until your business makes you quit your job. TGRRE has more specific guidelines.

B.Cotter

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
You are totally right. I keep thinking and thinking about what can I do and I end up not executing the ideas that come up.
You are right, I need to start.
There's a difference between taking action on every idea and taking action on the RIGHT idea. Have some patience and know that the right idea may not be your first, or your first five ideas.

MJ touches on multiple methods and strategies throughout his books and on this forum that detail how to plan ahead and whether a business idea has weight (better chance of success). Look at his 1/5/10 Plan and don't forget CENTS either.

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
There are 1000s of people out there who have app ideas, me included. You could build apps for people and take 10% of the company or something like that. One will eventually hit it big!

rcd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 5, 2021
You don't need to reinvent the wheel.
Skew value and make it discernible to your audience. All it takes is one attribute, but optimally it should be several.

And don't quit your job until your business makes you quit your job. TGRRE has more specific guidelines.
Ok. Thanks for the advice.
That's exactly what I want, for my business to make me quit my job.

I'm finishing TMF and TGRRE will probably be next.

rcd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 5, 2021
There's a difference between taking action on every idea and taking action on the RIGHT idea. Have some patience and know that the right idea may not be your first, or your first five ideas.

MJ touches on multiple methods and strategies throughout his books and on this forum that detail how to plan ahead and whether a business idea has weight (better chance of success). Look at his 1/5/10 Plan and don't forget CENTS either.

I think you just touched on a subject that seems to be one of my challenges. I'm kind of a creative person, but I can't determine if the ideas that come up are good ideas. I have a hard time figuring out if an idea or a business will have weight or not, now I can see that I don't have a good strategy.

The 1/5/10 plan, I will do it.

Thank you for your help.

rcd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 5, 2021
There are 1000s of people out there who have app ideas, me included. You could build apps for people and take 10% of the company or something like that. One will eventually hit it big!

You reminded me of something...

Last week, the owner of a small company I know, called me to ask if I would be interested in developing an app for one of his company's products and we arranged to have coffee next week to talk about it.
Since then I have been thinking about how I could negotiate with him, in order to have a recurring income instead of being paid only for the app development.

Thank you.

Unacultivitae

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 7, 2021
Hermosa Beach CA
You reminded me of something...

Last week, the owner of a small company I know, called me to ask if I would be interested in developing an app for one of his company's products and we arranged to have coffee next week to talk about it.
Since then I have been thinking about how I could negotiate with him, in order to have a recurring income instead of being paid only for the app development.

Thank you.
Tokenization of your services and the products you create would achieve the reoccurring income you are looking for as well as streamline your project execution. Tokenization of your company would provide you the capital to cover start up and operational costs, realistic returns to your investors (that can be derived from your client base or individuals seeking a speculative investment in your industry) while retaining 100 percent ownership and control of your company, processes, and intellectual property. I provide the conceptual "vehicle" that repackages how your services and products are presented creating added value, scarcity and efficiency without compromising or altering them in any way.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
What would you do or where would you start in this situation

I have some programming experience (8 apps developed to automate some tasks in the company

I am very good at identifying improvement opportunities in the company and creating solutions (which led me to the development of the apps)

Last week, the owner of a small company I know, called me to ask if I would be interested in developing an app for one of his company's products

What would you do or where would you start in this situation to become independent and quit your job?

If in the same situation as you, I'd do more of what's already worked.

Since I've already helped my employer and been approached by another company to create a solution.

I'd identify other companies I could help.

Last edited:

Jeferson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 16, 2021
In my opinion, you should quickly figure out the type of lifestyle that you want to have. Then choose the option that will help you have that lifestyle, even right away if possible.

You could work 80 hours per week (job + side business) and have no life outside of your career and business (which is a totally viable option, if you are ok with it)

OR

you could work 60 hours per week and do some other things with your free time.

It all depends on your financial and lifestyle goals, and how fast you wanna get results.

Hope that helps!

rcd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 5, 2021
Tokenization of your services and the products you create would achieve the reoccurring income you are looking for as well as streamline your project execution. Tokenization of your company would provide you the capital to cover start up and operational costs, realistic returns to your investors (that can be derived from your client base or individuals seeking a speculative investment in your industry) while retaining 100 percent ownership and control of your company, processes, and intellectual property. I provide the conceptual "vehicle" that repackages how your services and products are presented creating added value, scarcity and efficiency without compromising or altering them in any way.
Hi Unacultivitae,
Thank you for your help.

I have been researching some strategies that can get me to what I want to achieve. However first I need to know what kind of app they need.

rcd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 5, 2021
If in the same situation as you, I'd do more of what's already worked.

Since I've already helped my employer and been approached by another company to create a solution.

I'd identify other companies I could help.

Hi OMJ,

Yes, that's what I'm going to do.
I'm creating a strategy and preparing the ground to move forward.

Thank you for your help.

rcd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 5, 2021
In my opinion, you should quickly figure out the type of lifestyle that you want to have. Then choose the option that will help you have that lifestyle, even right away if possible.

You could work 80 hours per week (job + side business) and have no life outside of your career and business (which is a totally viable option, if you are ok with it)

OR

you could work 60 hours per week and do some other things with your free time.

It all depends on your financial and lifestyle goals, and how fast you wanna get results.

Hope that helps!

Hi Jeferson,

I am creating a strategy taking in mind my current situation and my job. The first part will require a lot of effort at least until I can quit my job, however my main goal is not to work all those hours/week.

Thank yout for your help.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.