The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Government "Shutdown" in October?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
I just read an article saying that we're about to reach the "debt ceiling" again. This happened in around 2014 or so I remember and they shut down parks and stuff.

I don't know what will happen but any predictions on price of cryptocurrency, silver, gold, stocks, etc?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
One could only hope the government shuts down so everyone could see how worthless it is.

But barring an asteroid or a solar event, nothing will stop the gubbermint from stopping its printers.

I don't have any predictive forecasts on "if" it happens. My guess is to look at what happened in the past.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
If I put on my conspiracy hat, then the so called "shut down" provides the perfect cover to implode the economy and blame it on republicans. "Oh, we can't reach a deal because the republicans are playing politics. Looks like we've defaulted!".

If that were to happen, it's nearly certain to be a total collapse.

Yet, I doubt it. The uni party system wants to keep the game going as long as there is more for them to plunder. Look for more theatrics, but ultimately a deal will be struck with enough pork for all the congress critters to be well fed.

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
One could only hope the government shuts down so everyone could see how worthless it is.

But barring an asteroid or a solar event, nothing will stop the gubbermint from stopping its printers.

I don't have any predictive forecasts on "if" it happens. My guess is to look at what happened in the past.
You're right: look at the past. But that's a lot of reading. Maybe someone here will remember what happened to investments during that time (I remember the time but I was too busy and broke to be focusing on passive investments at that time).

The government is way too big! And people working in the government are no different than anyone working at a company: they're working more for their own paycheck/advancement than they are for the goal of the masses. I'll use myself as an example. My job was to find lower-cost suppliers to make parts. The harder I worked the more I could save our company. But I wasn't on commission and didn't get paid overtime. Needless to say I could have done a better job if there would have been something in it for me. For most workers, including politicians, they are going to look at benefitting themselves first. I think that's the problem. Not much I can do about it except vote, which I do. Ugh.

(Update: due to this news I just went and bought some platinum on a credit card that is 0% financing until a year from now. Silver probably a better deal but I have silver. Why did this news spur me to buy platinum? I don't know. But I'm happy to have some!)

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Didn’t Powell say there was a shortage of T-bills? LOL

If the debt-ceiling is pushed to its limits it could affect their stupid reverse-repo operations.

The Banking system was already falling apart in 2019. LOL

Imagine a regulatory war between China and US.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If I was president… I’d never sign a budget bill. :rofl:

The government would be “shut down” for my entire term.

The so called debt ceiling is just something they argue over to make themselves sound responsible. They’ll raise it, like they always do.

sap_LA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
May 20, 2021
Didn’t Powell say there was a shortage of T-bills? LOL

If the debt-ceiling is pushed to its limits it could affect their stupid reverse-repo operations.

The Banking system was already falling apart in 2019. LOL

Imagine a regulatory war between China and US.
There is a shortage of t bills. Not treasury notes. This is mostly driven by banks be forced to obtain collateral and meet regulatory requirements. It’s certainly a system that favors the government. The fed isn’t independent like they say they are.

sap_LA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
May 20, 2021
If I was president… I’d never sign a budget bill. :rofl:

The government would be “shut down” for my entire term.

The so called debt ceiling is just something they argue over to make themselves sound responsible. They’ll raise it, like they always do.
The irony here is that the debt ceiling before being enacted was kind of contested by fiscal conservatives in congress. They feared that if there was a debt ceiling that they might be encouraged enough to actually spend up to that level. LOL

Also the reason for the enactment was WW1 and this was supposed to be temporary. Of course nothing is more permanent than a temporary government program.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
There is a shortage of t bills. Not treasury notes. This is mostly driven by banks be forced to obtain collateral and meet regulatory requirements. It’s certainly a system that favors the government. The fed isn’t independent like they say they are.
No. The Fed isn't independent. It is a privately owned, for profit bank. The government could print and control its own money supply. But, that would disrupt the game.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
It is a privately owned, for profit bank.

I think CITI Bank owns most of the shares of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. They’re not like “stock market shares” but they are definitely “shares”.

sap_LA

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
May 20, 2021
No. The Fed isn't independent. It is a privately owned, for profit bank. The government could print and control its own money supply. But, that would disrupt the game.
The fed isn’t for profit as I understand it. Im sure there are some killer
Dividends on those shares. The tax rate on profits is 100% after all of their employees get paid and board members get their cut. Said differently, any interest that the government owes them, if there is any money left over after expenses, it goes straight back to the federal government.
But yeah the fed is just another arm of the government. Pathetic.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It’s a racket, and even the richest businessmen are a class below the Fed and the DC higher ups.

I always say the pyramid goes like this...

the taxpayer
employee
Manager
CEO
Shareholders/Owners
The business’s bank (the business owners are indebted to them)
The federal reserve (who the bank borrows from)

note that the taxpayer is at the very bottom and that there are banks and individuals with shares of the Fed who receive dividends.

Also note that every dollar loaned out is done with 10% of the cash on hand and 90% printed by the Fed, and the Fed loans it to your bank, and collects interest, then pays dividends to shareholders of the Fed.

That’s fractional reserve banking, and it’s a very direct hierarchy.

(side note: there is no race or religious factor to this - it is purely the way the system works. IDK who is in charge of the main charter banks today but that’s immaterial. It’s not a crazy conspiracy. It’s the law of the land)

Last edited by a moderator:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
The fed isn’t for profit as I understand it. Im sure there are some killer
Dividends on those shares. The tax rate on profits is 100% after all of their employees get paid and board members get their cut. Said differently, any interest that the government owes them, if there is any money left over after expenses, it goes straight back to the federal government.
But yeah the fed is just another arm of the government. Pathetic.
There was a great debate when they were elevated to control the money supply because they are privately owned. And there's still a great debate over the same issue(s). And yes, regardless of how they are paid, the owners are sitting pretty.

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
The way I remember it is that the Federal Reserve is owned by JP Morgan, Bank of America, and about 6 other giant banks. They are making $trillions with this current set up. They are the government and the government is them. Ex-politician now a banker; ex-banker now a politician. Same people.

We can't beat them, only study them and try to predict what they do so we can win with them.

vivian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 8, 2021
The way I remember it is that the Federal Reserve is owned by JP Morgan, Bank of America, and about 6 other giant banks. They are making $trillions with this current set up. They are the government and the government is them. Ex-politician now a banker; ex-banker now a politician. Same people.

We can't beat them, only study them and try to predict what they do so we can win with them.
The rich are getting richer and the interest rates are getting lower and lower! The price of beef has risen by more than 30%! Slow economic growth

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.