The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
I hear a lot of high volume low margin numbers from people in online retail (especially products that can be duplicated and aren't well protected by IP). It seems to be common in that industry, kindof like how restaurants are often not mega-money generators compared to their operating costs.

Seems like the people doing well in those kinds of businesses are the ones who find ways to scale into astronomical volumes. Basically they become so good at operations and finance that it makes up for the low margins of the products. So, you'll find them with 100s of products online (maybe by acquisition, maybe by continuously developing and marketing products), or 100s of restaurants, etc.

At a small scale, yes it sounds terrible to me too. Surely there are easier ways to make a modest middle class income. If you can scale big, then it's probably like anything else at scale... you're still rich lol. The low margins are a sign of high competition, either directly or with other products that soak up the same part of the customers' budgets. If you experience higher margins than others selling 'similar' products, it may be a sign that you've broken away from the commoditization that the rest of the market is settled into. Maybe the business even makes CENTS :playful:
Thanks for the answer.

Definitely! Her business does make CENTS and I'm sure if she doesn't get wealthy running it, she probably will when she sells it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
jesus christ. :rofl:

enp3L99.jpg

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
I just read a spoiler from fast&furious 9 that they actually fly their car out in space to break down a satellite. WTF!!??!?!?!!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
G

Guest-5ty5s4

My first impression is the same as yours and the lady who recorded it but I always consider if I’m wrong and if he has a point.

As far as I can tell, deflation won’t be bad for society in the long run. But it could be very very painful in the short term and could wipe out the majority of businesses since they hold debt that might be impossible to repay.

So my feelings are mixed: in the short term, deflation could be horrible, but (after everything starts over which would still suck because my business would also be demolished if we had to pay back loans with deflated dollars) in the long run, the economy could be better and people have cheaper housing, cheaper goods, less debts, less speculation, and more freedom.

So the deflation issue is simple: everybody has all this debt that needs to be repaid, and the US government is (rightly) terrified of everyone being unable to pay, collapsing everything.

But deflation could also be very good for the poor and middle class, and could create a new paradigm of less leverage in business, making future businesses more stable...

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
As far as I can tell, deflation won’t be bad for society in the long run. But it could be very very painful in the short term and could wipe out the majority of businesses since they hold debt that might be impossible to repay.
Agree. Part of the deflation movement would be the build on AI and automation. Resulting in the long term increase in quality of living. Compare 1930s to 80s, and 90s to today with the tech boom. Short term 3-5 years it could be devastating for the world.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Realization: lots of things people hate like big banks, big tech, big government, big oil, and big pharma have their big subsidizes and die-hard “little guy” supporters because most of entrepreneurship involves selling to, working with, or otherwise making money off of these whales.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Gonna rant here a bit...

I've started sharing some stock TA charts and interpretations on the Volume Spread on Reddit.

At first, I wrote on some local tech and steel stocks...

Generally, the TA charts went as I saw/wrote...all I needed to do was to spot for reversals, see where demand/supply was sapped, and note down a few good entry points if the stock was resuming its uptrend momentum.

Then I wrote a Technical Analysis post on a company, Serba Dinamik, which was suspended for some alleged auditing problems. Other companies held by the owner like KPower and SCIB were also sold-down heavily last week due to market fears, so I wrote some pointers laying out why it wasn't the best time to enter yet (for bargain hunters)

Post here for context:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bursabets/comments/nm8f1t View: https://www.reddit.com/r/bursabets/comments/nm8f1t/serbadk_kpower_scib_to_shop_or_stay_back/

Then someone commented on the post:
"This chart-reading of yours is BS. Without doing simple things like Porter Analysis is why people will lose tons of money in the market.'

I replied something along the lines of:
"Porter Analysis is good for some fundamental analysis.
But our regulatory environment forces companies to report news and stuff late...but smart-money and charts will move first before fundamentals impact. That's why reading price action (indicators and all) with volume help."

(in hindsight, knowing HOW the smart-money bought/sold in anticipation of late news is how people can save/earn money-and charts can give hints on that)

Then he replied
"Honestly, how is this kind of analysis helpful for investors to make a decision with an impending doom?"

I laid out a quick plan from what the chart showed...for newcomer entries, they'd be better of staying back until the chart showed a good comeback to upside. For unlucky folks still inside, it was better to cut-loss, as it had broken major moving averages and threw up Death Crosses WEEKS before the audit scandal.

I dunno whether the chap will read it properly...but I sensed much hostility from him.

I don't go around calling people's ideas BS, especially for finance.
Just learn more about the field, pick up counterpoints and use them... that's it. No need to call BS around...

Was he expecting some complete master-blueprint?
A total foolproof guide? (I even marked my flair 'Technical Analysis'...you will only get TA arguments in there!)
Something to toss him $10,000 in one hour?
Something like "Stock A will rise 500% on X Date and drop 40% on Y Date next"?

That shit ain't gonna happen...

I think most of us, deep-down, expect complete step-by-step guides to everything, and never parts and pieces of a puzzle to assemble to master a skill- be it business or stock trading.

He's not totally wrong though...many WILL lose money in the markets. But not even Porter's Analysis will save them...its a highly subjective measure of a company's strength. But hey, some pundits claim Technical Analysis or Volume Spread is also subjective, so what's right?

EDIT: Odd...later he thanked me for clarifying things solidly....but then his account shows 'Deleted'?
Weird, especially after he posted some articles on some stocks...
I just don't know how Redditors work sometimes.

Last edited:

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
I have learned one of my greatest life lessons from the college, this is a boring and repetitive advice but does not hits you until you experience it.

The advice is
A good team will make your life and problems fun and effortless while bad one's will make you miserable. So it's worth it to build a great team around you.

One more thing I learned is have fun along the way.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I am a huge fan of the podcast My First Million where two guys give business ideas, explain how businesses get created, and interview founders.

Over the years of reading about entrepreneurship and how companies are created, I have noticed the following trend: a lot of the mega-corporations that exist today started in the living room of the founder.

Love this podcast, I believe both hosts are self made too, one maybe both aren’t even from Silicon Valley they just moved there and made it happen for themselves

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
D

Deleted78083

Just realized whats happening in Elon Musk's life:

He's living on a loan.

P.S.
When you'll stop laughing,
it will hit you that its true.​
100%.

That doesn't mean he is not giving value. I don't like him, but he deserves credits for his work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In April 2020, I told everyone that the virus was from the Chinese lab.

I don't have a degree in genetics or virology, but I can use Google Maps and my brain.

I was met with anger, laughter, and called a conspiracy theorist.

Honestly, I can recognize when I am wrong.

But, god, I LOVE being right.

:D

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Just realized whats happening in Elon Musk's life:

He's living on a loan.

P.S.
When you'll stop laughing,
it will hit you that its true.​

There’s actually a my first million episode about this

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Went this morning to meet a friend for coffee. Every single cafe/ coffee shop/ bakery downtown was closed. We ended up coming back to my house for coffee instead. I get that it's a holiday but I was shocked not one place was open.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
D

Deleted78083

I think most truths in life are counter-intuitive.

Eg:
- Entrepreneurship is ultimately safer than getting a job
- Charities don't help society
- The self-made rich give, they don't take
- You get respect when you stand for yourself, not by being "nice" to people
- Activities where you suffer at the beginning make you happy in the long term and the other way around.
- Being happy isn't the meaning of life
- Moving more and doing more sport will give you more energy
- You become stronger as you "hurt" yourself, not when you "protect" yourself
- Countries where most immigrants come from are the most discriminatory at home, and the other way around
- Communism is a bad idea
- Happiness is found working, not chilling
- Most people don't care about you
- Taking care of others brings more joy than taking care of yourself
- Taking care of others is easier than taking care of yourself
- Girls don't want nice guys
- Hyper-processed Vitamine A-fortified cereals are in fact bad for your health
- Suncream doesn't protect you
- You can't shower under a waterfall
- Making money = buying low, selling high
- Scratching the mosquito bite won't make the tickling go away

And many, many more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I wonder if their fashion statement is worth $5 to them. This guy making them put their money where their mouths are. LOL!

Owner Chris Castleman, 34:

“I don’t think $5 to charity is too much to ask from mask wearing customers who claim to care so much about the community they live in.”

The restaurant also planned to charge an additional $5 fee to those “caught bragging” about being vaxinated, according to a couple of the posted signs.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I wonder if their fashion statement is worth $5 to them. This guy making them put their money where their mouths are. LOL!

Owner Chris Castleman, 34:

“I don’t think $5 to charity is too much to ask from mask wearing customers who claim to care so much about the community they live in.”

The restaurant also planned to charge an additional $5 fee to those “caught bragging” about being vaxinated, according to a couple of the posted signs.
Meanwhile Oregon is now requiring people to prove they have been vaxinated to enter public buildings without masks.

I guess Oregon is just embracing the CCP vibe.

In before they start a social credit system classifying all citizens based off of their "internet points" for wokeness, social justice, and victimhood.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.