The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hyperinflation starting? What's happening in your area? Post your ground reports.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
another story from in the field:

So, some/a lot of contractors get an estimate signed and (to lock in the prices that they quoted) get the materials ordered at the prices that they are at today. This means the Window mfg needs to make these windows now and sit on them (because the prices might be going up tomorrow on the panels)
This leads to a huge warehouse of windows just sitting there, to put into a house, in 8 months from now.
And another warehouse with lumber stacked up, waiting 8 months till they build it.
And another warehouse with X items in it - and so on and so forth....
Smell the problem yet?

Due to the demand to lock in prices, they can't make enough to fulfill current demands (the guy off the street, the repair guys, etc...) which drives up the prices even further...

My thoughts - I could (and hope I am) be wrong: At some point there is going to be a "correction" in the market prices and it will be cheaper to give up the downpayment that companies got for the materials, and get a new company to do the actual building (with the lumber that's priced lower, obviously) than to use the sitting lumber at the old prices.

yikes... Just thought I'd share what I'm hearing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
Had to replace an interior door... did not want a hollow core, wanted solid wood. Would have been $300 or more AND wait 3-6 weeks! Went to Mom & Pop lumber yard, said "Would you let me look through your bullpen" (left over doors, screwed up orders, etc.) ...rummaged through several and found a solid wood one that measured right for $50 ...cash and carry.

Lesson 1: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE BULLPEN DURING INFLATION!
Lesson 2: Never forget Lesson 1 ...and solid wood doors are heavy

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Not hyperinflation, but related... Hyperinflation goes hand in hand with shortages.

We ordered a nice rocker from Pottery Barn for the baby’s room in OCTOBER. It finally showed up here today, a month after he was born.

That’s 7 months for delivery.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Friend of mine owns several restaurants… Has plenty of customers, is stressed out that he doesn’t have enough employees.

The restaurants are in small towns and the pools of people that would work there are likewise small. They, not surprisingly, prefer to stay home and eat government cheese.

When you subsidize something, you get more of it. This country has, for a long time, subsidized poverty.

Last edited:

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Germany:

Toilet Paper: 20-50%
Canned food at discounter: 25%
Rent: 25-33% on new contracts
Real Estate: Don't get me started

But the absolute winner is...cabbage: 2000%

Media is all like "Whoever thinks there's going to be hyperinflation will lose his bet, deflation will make its return!"

Nyeah. You continue to bullshit yourselves.

All money I make I currently throw into crypto. This will go belly up, I'm fairly certain.

Train

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
May 11, 2021
It's ridiculous for sure, my car lease actually has $7k positive equity :rofl:. Got it in the lull during strict lockdowns before supply was strained.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It's ridiculous for sure, my car lease actually has $7k positive equity :rofl:. Got it in the lull during strict lockdowns before supply was strained.

To replace my Mercedes S550 that got totaled last year, right now, I’d have to pay $10k more than I paid for that same car in 2019.

Things are nuts. I normally don’t borrow money, but I’m thinking about picking up a $80k King Ranch F250 on a 0% for 84 month payment plan and just pay it back with the funny money.

That truck, used, will be worth a couple hundred grand in a few years.

It might be the last chance to get something nice anyway before all hell breaks loose.

We should all be looking at ways to go into more debt. That sounds so ridiculous, but think about it.

:rofl:

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Not hyperinflation, but related... Hyperinflation goes hand in hand with shortages.

We ordered a nice rocker from Pottery Barn for the baby’s room in OCTOBER. It finally showed up here today, a month after he was born.

That’s 7 months for delivery.
I thought it's usually 9 months for delivery - at 7 months is a bit premie.

I'll see myself out...

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Stagflation=high inflation+high unemployment.

That’s where we are headed. Central banks messed up because there was no precedent or case study.

Dollar’s reserve currency status is weakening as literally no one is investing in the US. US debt will be downgraded and the stock market will go to 2000. Bond yields will rocket. LOL

Last edited:

Train

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
May 11, 2021

That’s where we are headed. Central banks messed up because there was no precedent or case study.

Dollar’s reserve currency status is weakening as literally no one is investing in the US. US debt will be downgraded and the stock market will go to 2000. Bond yields will rocket. LOL
I did see Michael Burry (Big Short guy) was doing bond plays in his latest company holdings.

Puts on TLT and calls on TBT, TTT, and 3x levered TMV.

Not sure if he already exited this positions or not though.

But something that was of note to me regarding bonds.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York

I've said this is the most probable outcome.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Like I heard last night, the fed will always be right. If it last 6 more months- transitory. If it last 3 years- it was transitory.

Bingo! You win the Internet Winner of the Day award.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Mary Daly at the San Fran Fed on CNBC said “transitory isn’t about timing, it’s about what’s driving the increases in inflation. No sign that long term prices are rising in a way that’s continuous.”

And housing prices are supported by a strong economy.

And yet at the same time the Fed says it had to intervene in the repo market and 0% rates because of a weak economy. But the economy is strong.

You can’t make this sh*t up.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Mary Daly at the San Fran Fed on CNBC said “transitory isn’t about timing, it’s about what’s driving the increases in inflation. No sign that long term prices are rising in a way that’s continuous.”

And housing prices are supported by a strong economy.

And yet at the same time the Fed says it had to intervene in the repo market and 0% rates because of a weak economy. But the economy is strong.

You can’t make this sh*t up.
Everything about the economy is struggling right now except for graphs of the stock market.

That’s their game... “if the graph is pretty, everything’s good! Woohoo! Partayyyy!”

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021

They seem very committed to continuing to spend like a drunken sailor. Pretty hilarious when Bernie has to pipe up and remind his crew that they're not supposed to be quite so overt with handing money to billionaire elites.

Currently looking into precious metal miner stocks on top of the metals themselves.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Not exactly inflation, but certainly a measure of how broken things are.

In January 2019 I purchased 2 RTX 2080 Ti video cards direct from NVIDIA. $1200 a pop.

Last week I sold one of them, after using it for almost 2 and a half years, for $2,019.

The reasons behind this are varied, but the root cause is government. Overreactions to the virus such as shut downs and money printing lead to a shortage of semiconductor chips and a boom in crypto mining.

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines
Currently, we have the highest inflation rate in the entire Philippines, sitting around nine percent (9%) in overall prices in the market and we currently have food crisis on meat as prices skyrocketed from P200 to P400, a one-hundred percent increase. Aside from the Pandemic, we have ASF (African Swine Fever) where it can infect pigs thus, killing them.

Additionally, the fare prices of the public transport here (Jeepney), increased slightly by P3.00, reaching up to P10.00 when traveling within at first four kilometers.
  • Edit: Added a news article.
  • Edit2: Fixed the sentence.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

Luxury car values are up. This car is 20% higher price than 12 months ago. It is not a collectible or rare in any way. A regular 911 that just went up in price.

ouch.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
wife works for a donut shop - they sell to tourists

they had a recent $.05 increase, and now just did another $.05 per donut increase, her boss told her that oil went from $40 to $60 a bucket (50% increase) amid other increases, so they need to pass it on.

she said the locals will complain, but tourists buy them anyway

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012

"Construction heavyweight Travis Perkins (TPK.L) told customers this week to brace for a 15% rise in the price of bagged cement, a 5% bump in the price of paint and a 10% increase in the price of chipboard."

"The expected acceleration in prices this year will likely be temporary, Bank of England (BoE) governor Andrew Bailey said in testimony to MPs Monday."

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Reading headlines like that is why the media isn't worth listening too.

I haven't read the article yet, but fears of inflation cause a sell off?

Inflation is good for assets... This is how clueless these people are lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.