The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just beginning

A post of a ranting nature...

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Hi everybody,

I figured I may as well leave some record of what I am doing so far. Over the past nine days, I have been working every day as much as my time will allow on my business project while holding down a full-time job. Which has amounted to about 15 hours so far. The reason that I am posting is that I just hit a major milestone in my prototype development and wanted to leave a record.

One thing that I have always heard from everyone who has taken the entrepreneurship journey, is that even though you spend time working on your business it doesn't actually feel like "work." I have found this to be true, every step taken, every hour logged simply flies by. I go to sleep thinking about it, I spend my days at work dreaming of it and researching things while I have downtime. The simple fulfillment of having a goal and a means to achieve that goal has been a reward in it itself.

My idea will take potentially many hundreds of hours to execute successfully, I have to learn a new skill and I have to apply it effectively but that idea does not seem daunting to me. I will try to post periodically when I hit major milestones if anybody cares to listen.

Thanks for reading
Steeltip

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
Hi everybody,

I figured I may as well leave some record of what I am doing so far. Over the past nine days, I have been working every day as much as my time will allow on my business project while holding down a full-time job. Which has amounted to about 15 hours so far. The reason that I am posting is that I just hit a major milestone in my prototype development and wanted to leave a record.

One thing that I have always heard from everyone who has taken the entrepreneurship journey, is that even though you spend time working on your business it doesn't actually feel like "work." I have found this to be true, every step taken, every hour logged simply flies by. I go to sleep thinking about it, I spend my days at work dreaming of it and researching things while I have downtime. The simple fulfillment of having a goal and a means to achieve that goal has been a reward in it itself.

My idea will take potentially many hundreds of hours to execute successfully, I have to learn a new skill and I have to apply it effectively but that idea does not seem daunting to me. I will try to post periodically when I hit major milestones if anybody cares to listen.

Thanks for reading
Steeltip
You got this!!

Reminds me of a quote from James Allen - "The will to do springs from the knowledge that we can do"

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Hi everybody,

Thanks for reading
Steeltip
Just about to hit 30 hours worked (I log every hour in a notes section of my iPhone) even though I am looking back just a week I have already learned so much that the milestone from last week seems distant. Now working on trimming the fat from my daily routines to get more time worked avaliable. I estimate that I could potentially work 22-25 hrs per week instead of the measly 15 or so I did this week.

CruxisKnight

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jan 7, 2021
Hey I feel the same way. When I'm working on my own business time literally does just fly. I sometimes don't even feel like I'm working. (Although that could be a bad thing, I should use something like you where I'm logging in how many hours I work.)

Then I remember when I had my night job and I literally look at the clock and think how I'm wasting my life away. Good luck to you keep it up

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
Hi everybody,

Thanks for reading
Steeltip
That's great. But I'm warning you now, you won't be able to operate on cloud nine forever. Eventually, you will hit a learning curve or a speedbump that will slow your progress to a halt. For me, this was having to learn javascript. (a programming language that had nothing to do with what I was learning for 30+ hours so far).

But that depends on what you're doing. From what I understand there's a grind to every business endeavor and this grind is what separates you from the people you described in your last post.
It looks like this:
1618687687200.png
The "valley of despair" is the slap in the face that life will give you when you think you're on top. Your whole world will get turned upside down and new challenges will present themselves. Now I don't like how this photo from google calls the beginning phase "Mount stupid" because nobody is, but I would say you're getting to the peak.

You've just started learning a new skillset and all skills have that easy period in the beginning. 30 hours is not a lot of time. I forgot who said this but it takes about 10,000 hours to master a feat worth mastering.

Don't receive this reply as a buzzkill, you're doing a great job so far! most people don't even have the initiative to start, let alone keep the ball rolling for 30 hours. But this post takes me back to when I was just learning how to write HTML tags in my old apartment. When you get to the "Valley of dispair" and things get hard don't lose hope because this is what separates the millionaires from average people.

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
That's great. But I'm warning you now, you won't be able to operate on cloud nine forever. Eventually, you will hit a learning curve or a speedbump that will slow your progress to a halt. For me, this was having to learn javascript. (a programming language that had nothing to do with what I was learning for 30+ hours so far).

But that depends on what you're doing. From what I understand there's a grind to every business endeavor and this grind is what separates you from the people you described in your last post.
It looks like this:
View attachment 37617
The "valley of despair" is the slap in the face that life will give you when you think you're on top. Your whole world will get turned upside down and new challenges will present themselves. Now I don't like how this photo from google calls the beginning phase "Mount stupid" because nobody is, but I would say you're getting to the peak.

You've just started learning a new skillset and all skills have that easy period in the beginning. 30 hours is not a lot of time. I forgot who said this but it takes about 10,000 hours to master a feat worth mastering.

Don't receive this reply as a buzzkill, you're doing a great job so far! most people don't even have the initiative to start, let alone keep the ball rolling for 30 hours. But this post takes me back to when I was just learning how to write HTML tags in my old apartment. When you get to the "Valley of dispair" and things get hard don't lose hope because this is what separates the millionaires from average people.
Hahaha, understood brother, I am all too familiar with that valley. When I first started learning to play the guitar almost four years ago I spent quite some time there. Even after that amount of time I recently hit a valley in my playing and decided to take up lessons and found that I was nowhere near where I thought I was in terms of how advanced I am despite playing for about an hour a night for years.

I appreciate the encouragement you and I are similar I also am learning Java Script right now. What's the idea your working on?

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020

It looks like this:
View attachment 37617
The "valley of dispair" is the slap in the face that life will give you when you think you're on top. Your whole world will get turned upside down and new challenges will present themselves. Now i don't like how this photo from google calls the begining phase "Mount stupid" because nobody is, but i would say you're getting to the peak.

You've just started learning a new skillset and all skills have that easy period in the beggining. 30 hours is not a lot of time. I forgot who said this but it takes about 10,000 hours to master a feat worth mastering.

Don't recieve this reply as a buzzkill, you're doing a great job so far! most people don't even have the inititive to start, let alone keep the ball rolling for 30 hours. But this post takes me back to when i was just learning how to write html tags in my old apartment. When you get to the "Valley of dispair" and thing get hard don't lose hope because seperates the millionaires from average people.

Hahaha, understood brother, I am all too familiar with that valley. When I first started learning to play the guitar almost four years ago I spent quite some time there. Even after that amount of time I recently hit a valley in my playing and decided to take up lessons and found that I was nowhere near where I thought I was in terms of how advanced I am despite playing for about an hour a night for years.

I appreciate the encouragement you and I are similar I also am learning Java Script right now. What's the idea your working on?
I want to create a web dev business catering to a specific niche, then innovate that niche in some way that makes me stand out from my competitors. Web development is a crowded field so ill have to specialize. I'm hoping that this business will sell for 2 million. That way I can buy real estate and rent it for 2%/month of each property. I'm roughly assuming that with property managers, taxes, and maintenance costs, this will provide me 25,000 a month passively. I can then use my free time to work on my real mission, which I would like to keep a secret for now. Nothing personal.

Right now I'm focusing on React and I've been doing most of my learning from The Net Ninja. He's really good at teaching and most of his content is free on youtube. If you're just doing basic front-end javascript you can just go through the same video course I did:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfuju3dgjE&list=PLGC-hHIh7l5vs0uDGlQEXQGQR2hW8Gcwl

he's not Net ninja, but he uses real-life examples in his teaching which is good for someone who's never programmed before

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
I want to create a web dev business catering to a specific niche, then innovate that niche in some way that makes me stand out from my competitors. Web development is a crowded field so ill have to specialize. I'm hoping that this business will sell for 2 million. That way I can buy real estate and rent it for 2%/month of each property. I'm roughly assuming that with property managers, taxes, and maintenance costs, this will provide me 25,000 a month passively. I can then use my free time to work on my real mission, which I would like to keep a secret for now. Nothing personal.

Right now I'm focusing on React and I've been doing most of my learning from The Net Ninja. He's really good at teaching and most of his content is free on youtube. If you're just doing basic front-end javascript you can just go through the same video course I did:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfuju3dgjE&list=PLGC-hHIh7l5vs0uDGlQEXQGQR2hW8Gcwl

he's not Net ninja, but he uses real-life examples in his teaching which is good for someone who's never programmed before
Awesome! I appreciate the heads up on that guy, good luck on your mission whatever it may be I hope you succeed.

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX

Man, I just happened upon your thread made two months ago, the comments really helped me see a path forward so thank you. Hit that desert you were talking about today but I'm climbing out.

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Hi everybody,

Thanks for reading
Steeltip
The last two weeks have been slow going. I came to the conclusion that in order to create my product and future products I need to learn a whole lot about coding. I have enrolled in a course that focuses on mastery and is sure to take a long time. A necessary sacrifice and one that will certainly pay going forward. Therefore I did not log hours worked like I normally do for things like reading a required book that had nothing to do with coding/business. So far I have only roughly 45-55 hours worked if we include time working on other important subject matter. I will keep at it no matter how long it takes.

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Hi everybody,

Thanks for reading
Steeltip
made it to around 80 hours or so. Burned out for a few days last week but got back up to speed this week. still plugging ahead. Can't believe it will have been three months on June 16th since I decided to make it happen or die trying.

Still have more to work on in terms of time management. I found that I cant work 16 hours a day for 7 days a week without burning out. Maybe some people can do it but I can't. My next challenge is figuring out how much I can work in a week and how to strategically place rest time/days in order to achieve sustained productivity.

Last edited:

Evan.Aims

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 22, 2021

It looks like this:
View attachment 37617

As a Psychology student, I do totally agree with this. It even applies to my personal life outside of the academic world. I currently feel myself wandering in the valley of despair, trying to learn how to master Final Cut Pro X, and there are many things that I thought I knew, but at the end of the day I've just scratched the surface. It's hard to keep the motivation, but I know it's worth it.

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Hit over 100 hours last week, it really did not excite me as much as it would have a few months ago. I see the process layed out before me and it is going to take a few years for everything to come together. 100 hours will not mean much in the grand scheme of things. But more than anything I am thoroughly enjoying the "grind" as they say.

From now on I am going to update this thread in 100-hour increments or so

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
it is going to take a few years for everything to come together
How is the end user/customer involved in the process? Genuine question. From the way you describe it, you seem to be focusing on technology only.

What gives me productivity boosts is frequent feedback and testing with my customers (end users, buyers, other stakeholders). But I love business development, UX, marketing and everything customer facing. I know I'm solving their problems, not only through products but also with my broader service, and this creates a positive feedback loop. Not to mention it keeps me on the right path.

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
How is the end user/customer involved in the process? Genuine question. From the way you describe it, you seem to be focusing on technology only.

What gives me productivity boosts is frequent feedback and testing with my customers (end users, buyers, other stakeholders). But I love business development, UX, marketing and everything customer facing. I know I'm solving their problems, not only through products but also with my broader service, and this creates a positive feedback loop. Not to mention it keeps me on the right path.
That's a good question. Right now I am gaining technical knowledge about programming so that I can build a minimum viable product to test out. When I first started I tried hacking it out with the little javascript I knew and couldn't even put training wheels on it. So just learning how to do that is going to take a long time. However the more I learn the faster I can pivot and produce other ideas and I am happy I decided to do that.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
That's a good question. Right now I am gaining technical knowledge about programming so that I can build a minimum viable product to test out. When I first started I tried hacking it out with the little javascript I knew and couldn't even put training wheels on it. So just learning how to do that is going to take a long time. However the more I learn the faster I can pivot and produce other ideas and I am happy I decided to do that.

1. How could you engage with your potential users already at this stage?
  2. Where would you find them?
  3. What would you talk about with them?

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
  1. How could you engage with your potential users already at this stage?
  2. Where would you find them?
  3. What would you talk about with them?
definitely good questions I will think about! Thanks for the help

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Any new insights @Steeltip
Yes, actually I have about 100 more hours under my belt now (200 total). Still in the learning phase of coding currently but that is fine for what I am planning to do. I did think about some of the things that you had mentioned and have since altered my end goal with all this. I realized that my idea though useful and something I will still try did not have a clear profitability model. I have a new idea in mind currently with data collection.

Thanks for checking back in by the way definitely appreciate it.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
Soo... who's your ideal customer, where can you find the first one, what are they trying to buy right now and what problem will you be solving with data collection?

Edit: Not that you should give all that away. But I do hope you're doing it with specific people and their problems in mind.

FritsFlitsFstlne

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 1, 2020
Hi everybody,

Thanks for reading
Steeltip
Awesome!

enjoy every minute of it, forget everything and keep going!

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Soo... who's your ideal customer, where can you find the first one, what are they trying to buy right now and what problem will you be solving with data collection?

Edit: Not that you should give all that away. But I do hope you're doing it with specific people and their problems in mind.
The ideal (only) customer is doctors/professors working in universities across the united states. Hahaha you are right I wont go into much detail on what my plans are but it's pretty clear where to go from here. Still a little ways away from my end goal but there is a clear one in mind that I am trying to accomplish and the market is absolutely there from my own experience and people close to me. I'll keep you/this thread updated on what goes on with it.

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
The ideal (only) customer is doctors/professors working in universities across the united states. Hahaha you are right I wont go into much detail on what my plans are but it's pretty clear where to go from here. Still a little ways away from my end goal but there is a clear one in mind that I am trying to accomplish and the market is absolutely there from my own experience and people close to me. I'll keep you/this thread updated on what goes on with it.
Ah great, I was wondering if you've got an end user in mind.

I recommend working closely with them even at an early stage. It will increase their engagement, de-risk developing unnecessary features and fine tune your overall approach.

I've worked with academics a lot (and been one in the past) so happy to help. Feel free to DM me.

Good luck!

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Ah great, I was wondering if you've got an end user in mind.

I recommend working closely with them even at an early stage. It will increase their engagement, de-risk developing unnecessary features and fine tune your overall approach.

I've worked with academics a lot (and been one in the past) so happy to help. Feel free to DM me.

Good luck!
That's some solid advice, my best friend and fiance are currently working in that field so they will be a good foot in the door when the time comes. As well as for getting opinions on what will work and what will not

And awesome! I will definitely take you up on that!

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
Ran into some speed bumps in August and September as my manager said that I couldn't code at work anymore so I have not been able to get the time I normally would I am only at 250 hours right now. I had to drop some extracurricular activities so that I can just focus on learning to code. Should be back on track this month in terms of time spent.

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
I just made a big move and quit my job to pursue learning to code full time a few days ago. I have enough money to float for the next year if I need to without going into debt so it's all systems go from here on out.

I am day three of no job; my progress has more than doubled in terms of hours spent and the amount of deep work that is accomplished (not to mention I haven't been this happy/healthy since I got laid off last year).

No more roadblocks, no more burnout from pulling 12-16 hour days of work and study.

By the way, I don't think I have mentioned this yet because I was a little bit embarrassed to say it. But what I am doing to learn to code is a program called launch school. Here is the link if you want to see what it's about

I have not talked about it because it seems like it's not the typical approach many uses to get into the Fastlane nor is it the fastest. This program will likely take me the better part of next year to complete in its entirety though I don't find this fact off-putting or even discouraging. Despite being almost as broke as when I was in college I feel freer than I have ever felt in my entire life. I am not burdened by the usual shackles of the SCRIPT and I had to buck many of of those limiting beliefes in order to quit my job and pursue this full time (which was hard as F*ck also but a story for another time). I now wake up every day and do exactly what I want to do and do it when I want to do it. That is not to say I am not working hard I most certainly am, but I no longer have to answer to anybody but myself and shiiiiit...it feels damn good...

Yes, I am poor, and this is not the true Fastlane so to speak. Even though I have freedom of time I do not have freedom of funds. But even if it takes me longer than most, I will achieve the true Fastlane one day...

I know there is a debate on the forum about whether it is better to learn to code or to pay a dev to get something done for you and I believe each side has its merit.

In my case, even though paying a dev to create my idea would be faster. That would be taking away half the fun for me.

I have pursued my dream of the Fastlane since March 16th. In that relatively short period of time, I have now realized a dream of mine which is creating something that I have poured my own blood sweat, and tears into that I would be proud to attach my name to. Like an artist painting a masterpiece or a blacksmith making a sword for a king. I want to be really good at something and hone a skill that I can carry with me for the rest of my life. Part of my Fastlane dream is being able to master many things and programming is now one of them.

I don't have to be a complete master in order to create something and I likely won't be when I do. Though coming from a background in sales. I have hawked enough shit that I do not believe in nor respect to know that I will hate building something that I have no faith in. So in order to do that and check all of my boxes for a business that I can really stand behind there is no better person to build my own dreams than myself.

And the best part for me is that once I finally create an idea that takes me all the way. I can do it again, and again, and again.

I don't think I could ever give up the chase it's just too much god damn fun.

btw if you made it this far thanks for reading and sticking around.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.