The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
G

Guest931Xfjyx

I don't wish to turn my personal training services into an e-book. I'm fine with sacrificing my time.

However, how can I market myself efficiently in order to attract clients for personal training services both online + offline?

I'm a Certified Personal Trainer living in the middle of Ontario and an aspiring competitive heavyweight bodybuilder.

I'm presently getting business cards printed.

Any advice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Have you considered selling personalized coaching online + a meal plan?

Chris_Varick

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 8, 2021
North Germany
quick question if you are okay with sacrificing your time, how much time do you have left after (I guess intense) training as a competitive heavyweight bodybuilder. Is it 8 hours workout and 8 hours sleep then you have 8 hours left without taking any recovery phase into consideration. How can you differentiate from your opponent/competitor ? Do you have a concept that enables people (customers) to gain muscles faster? From what I read so far especially personal training is one of the most competitive areas you can be in. Your concept better be good and sustainable. Is an e-book a good idea ? I assume an e-book on how to invest in the stock market is easier to write than about personal training because when people read it then they might not need personal training anymore but if it works in this format, then go for it.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

quick question if you are okay with sacrificing your time, how much time do you have left after (I guess intense) training as a competitive heavyweight bodybuilder. Is it 8 hours workout and 8 hours sleep then you have 8 hours left without taking any recovery phase into consideration. How can you differentiate from your opponent/competitor ? Do you have a concept that enables people (customers) to gain muscles faster? From what I read so far especially personal training is one of the most competitive areas you can be in. Your concept better be good and sustainable. Is an e-book a good idea ? I assume an e-book on how to invest in the stock market is easier to write than about personal training because when people read it then they might not need personal training anymore but if it works in this format, then go for it.
Bodybuilders haven't worked out for 8 hours a day since the 70s, and any of the celebrities telling you they did such things typically are exaggerating their efforts significantly.

I do around 1 hour of cardio a day and around 2-3 hours of training 5x a week. Also on top of that is an hour of meal prep daily.

I still have plenty of time to take on clients.

Dennis Demori

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2016
I don't wish to turn my personal training services into an e-book. I'm fine with sacrificing my time.

However, how can I market myself efficiently in order to attract clients for personal training services both online + offline?

I'm a Certified Personal Trainer living in the middle of Ontario and an aspiring competitive heavyweight bodybuilder.

Any advice?
What do you mean by "significantly?"

What does your current business look like (1-on-1, group coaching, etc)?

Current revenue?

Target revenue?

How many hours do you want to work every week?

Do you work alone or have a team? Etc etc

G

Guest931Xfjyx

What do you mean by "significantly?"

What does your current business look like (1-on-1, group coaching, etc)?

Current revenue?

Target revenue?

How many hours do you want to work every week?

Do you work alone or have a team? Etc etc
Significantly meaning $50-70k a year.

My current business I intend on doing 1-on-1.

Current revenue: $0

Target revenue: $50-70k

How many hours do I want to work a week: 30-50

I work alone, no team.

I just got certified so I presently have no clients.

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
Significantly meaning $50-70k a year.

My current business I intend on doing 1-on-1.

Current revenue: $0

Target revenue: $50-70k

How many hours do I want to work a week: 30-50

I work alone, no team.

I just got certified so I presently have no clients.

I have a friend thats a PT and did 275k a year pushing it with working all hours possible. Now he has wife and kids and I think he is doing like 150k - 170k with "normal hours" so that should be possible :)

He told me that to succeed as a PT you need to be good at selling, so look into that :)

G

Guest931Xfjyx

I have a friend thats a PT and did 275k a year pushing it with working all hours possible. Now he has wife and kids and I think he is doing like 150k - 170k with "normal hours" so that should be possible :)

He told me that to succeed as a PT you need to be good at selling, so look into that :)
I completely agree with this.

However any advice on marketing myself to acquire something like that much?

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Get 1 client. Start. Now.
Okay but beyond that, what's an effective way to market myself and acquire a bunch of clients?

Just had a good 1000 business cards printed with a nice call-to-action on them.

CryptoCurt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 2, 2019
Germany
Okay but beyond that, what's an effective way to market myself and acquire a bunch of clients?

Usually you should be present on all major social platforms. I.E.: FB, Insta, TikTok, YT.
Plan 1h/day for the start to cover those. Create an website with your brand-name and reserve the same name on social media.
Post small tips every day on your core competency topics.
Via FB ads you can start small campaigns for the begining.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Usually you should be present on all major social platforms. I.E.: FB, Insta, TikTok, YT.
Plan 1h/day for the start to cover those. Create an website with your brand-name and reserve the same name on social media.
Post small tips every day on your core competency topics.
Via FB ads you can start small campaigns for the begining.
I appreciate the tip, I know you had good intentions with it, though that sounds like a surefire way to do what everyone else is doing with no results.

How do I PULL my customers in?

What value can I potentially add? What seperates me from every other trainer?

CryptoCurt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 2, 2019
Germany
I appreciate the tip, I know you had good intentions with it, though that sounds like a surefire way to do what everyone else is doing with no results.

I would not say its not working, if you have not tried it.
You say you want to PULL them in. Yes but to do that, customers must know that you actually exist and that you are competent at your job.
I would not miss out on social media, because everyone is searching on their phones today, trying to find a good personal trainer. No internet presence, no finding JLE.

If you are not to be found nowhere, how should you be able to PULL customers in?
Make yourself known, become a known expert in the field.

another one: Offer free personal training sessions in your area. use local focused websites.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

@JLE
if i would give you $1M after you acquired one client today, what would you do to get a client?
if i was going to take a sledgehammer to your left big toe as it rested on concrete if you do NOT get one client today, what would you do to get a client?

Pick whichever method works for you and don't make it any harder than that.

The easiest way to start is to start.

What is the best way? No one knows. Try 'a' way. If that doesn't work, what do you do? Right, try another way.

Go get a client.

poseidn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 1, 2016

we can't build your value proposition for you lol... that's not how this works. Unfortunately you have to do the work

The work being: speak to your target market, figure out what they want, see if they want it enough to pay for it, rinse n repeat trying new things until you find something people really want. Read mil fastlane and unscripted

G

Guest931Xfjyx

I would not say its not working, if you have not tried it.
You say you want to PULL them in. Yes but to do that, customers must know that you actually exist and that you are competent at your job.
I would not miss out on social media, because everyone is searching on their phones today, trying to find a good personal trainer. No internet presence, no finding JLE.

If you are not to be found nowhere, how should you be able to PULL customers in?
Make yourself known, become a known expert in the field.

another one: Offer free personal training sessions in your area. use local focused websites.
I have an instagram, I also have my instagram shared on the business cards I have printed. Nothing but personal training/fitness related info on my instagram either.

Do you have any suggestions for building a following on instagram in the fitness niche?

I'm assuming:
- be in incredible shape
- history of winning competitions
- proof of client transformations

G

Guest931Xfjyx

@JLE
if i would give you $1M after you acquired one client today, what would you do to get a client?
if i was going to take a sledgehammer to your left big toe as it rested on concrete if you do NOT get one client today, what would you do to get a client?

Pick whichever method works for you and don't make it any harder than that.

The easiest way to start is to start.

What is the best way? No one knows. Try 'a' way. If that doesn't work, what do you do? Right, try another way.

Go get a client.
I appreciate the tough love. Please don't break my big toe.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Am feeling lovey today, so here is some more for you @JLE (and all those coming behind)

Make 100 offers:
Offer your services to 100 people in the next 5 days. See what they say.
You will have to refine your pitch and look for the 'echo' that MJ talks about.
'But i don't know what to offer!?!?' .... yes you do.
Offer a single workout with you for a cup of coffee and some feedback if you have no other ideas.

Elena Cardone idea:
In her book Empire, she talks about sitting down and sketching out the perfect guy for her. In EXTREME detail. Height, weight, eye color, what he did, what he said, how he carried himself, etc., etc.
Then she did the smart thing (and hopefully what you will do) .........
She asked herself what THAT guy would want. Then she could become those things to attract the dude she wanted.

Who is your perfect customer?
What do they want?

Offer that to 100 people in the next 5 days.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Am feeling lovey today, so here is some more for you @JLE (and all those coming behind)

Make 100 offers:
Offer your services to 100 people in the next 5 days. See what they say.
You will have to refine your pitch and look for the 'echo' that MJ talks about.
'But i don't know what to offer!?!?' .... yes you do.
Offer a single workout with you for a cup of coffee and some feedback if you have no other ideas.

Elena Cardone idea:
In her book Empire, she talks about sitting down and sketching out the perfect guy for her. In EXTREME detail. Height, weight, eye color, what he did, what he said, how he carried himself, etc., etc.
Then she did the smart thing (and hopefully what you will do) .........
She asked herself what THAT guy would want. Then she could become those things to attract the dude she wanted.

Who is your perfect customer?
What do they want?

Offer that to 100 people in the next 5 days.
Damn quality post. I liked your example with Elena Cardone too.

I think my perfect customer would be the most widely available customer, which is: typically an older woman or someone overweight.

Considering that, I should ideally be marketing myself towards weight-loss services and help with general mobility. Although it could help to have a more specific niche, I think being an attractive service to much people would result in the most likely success.

I also would like to enroll your idea of an echo. 100 offers in 5 days. Beyond that I can do something as simple as 25 offers a week...

$5 for the first session.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
how many offers will you make today?
report back the results
go GET a client!

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Questions:

What resources do you have available right now? A social media following? Some emails? Friends and family asking for personal training? A local gym you go to? Are you working at a gym already? Are you a part of a club or group of people somewhere?

Simple ideas:
  • Start with your circle. Tell friends and family you are starting a personal training business and see if anyone would want training.
  • Find a professional place. If you are serious about being a full-time personal trainer... it makes sense to work at a gym. They will provide you with leads and a place to train for a cut of your sessions (like everywhere else). It's still your business... and you have to treat it that way... but consider it lead generation.
  • Ask for 3 referrals from everyone you speak to. Whether they become a client or not.
Advanced ideas:
  • Run targeted FB ads to people who follow other bodybuilders (or yourself) "wanna train with me!?"
  • 2-Step FB Organic Posts. "here's how I train, here's how I eat, etc." and then "If you'd like my workout routine, comment "routine" below and I'll DM you. Start a meaningful conversation and ask the right questions to turn into a sales conversation.
  • Swipe Up Instagram Ads. If you have enough followers, do consistent story posts with the offer. You'll need a cheap landing page of course but that's not so hard to piece together.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Go to the gym and start talking to people who look like they need help.

Give them advice without being rude. Don't try to sell them anything. Then at the end of the conversation just mention you do personal training and tell them to give you a call if they ever need any help and hand them a business card.

Personal trainers can be extremely successful off of referrals alone. Start talking to people.

runnaboi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 25, 2020
Australia

Any advice?
There's some great feedback here in this thread.

I would be the last person on this planet to be a personal trainer - so out of shape - but if I was, here are a few ideas:
  • Really nail down who it is you can best help. Create a free account with digitalmarketer.com, and use their Customer Avatar tool. For example, you could target busy high level CEOs. They will probably be wanting very early morning training sessions that get results with the least amount of time spent in a gym. They will be looking for advice on meals that they can either get delivered that are healthy, or meals that don't take too much time making. This is just an example - other groups you could target are morbidly obese, new and expectant mums, special needs people, professional body builders, persons recovering from cancer etc etc etc.
  • Give that ideal customer or avatar a name - George, Lucy or whatever it may be. Then craft your offering and message around what George or Lucy are really looking for. Dont be broad in your message, sell to just that one "ideal customer". There will be lots of poeple that dont fit the parameters you set, and thats good. The point is the message will resonate with the poeple that you do want to deal with, it will feel to them that you "get them", and soon enough you should get a reputation for being the "guy who helps busy CEOs get in to shape" or whatever the case may be.
  • Once you get a few customers on board, talk to them about what they like about your service and what suggestions they have.
  • Get as many introductions as you can. Instead of asking for referrals, ask customers for introductions to people like them that you could help. Busy CEOs socialize with other busy CEOs, cancer patients talk on forums etc.
Just my 2 cents! All the best.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
G

Guest931Xfjyx

Absolutely quality advice from most of you.

The biggest takeaways I've received:
- just start. if you had 5 days to sell to 100 people, what would you do?
- sell your services to your ideal customer
- possibly offer something as cheap as a $5 first time session
- ask for feedback about my service
- walk the floor at the gym and be helpful/friendly
- set weekly quotas for how many people youre going to try to sell to each week
- ask for 3 refferals from everyone you know

Cheers to all of you. Not kidding.

Now I just need to prove I want it and execute.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
How do you get your first sale?

I see it as two parts, what you do in-person and what you do online. In-person has been covered pretty well already: get out there, ask for referrals, talk to people, work at a local gym, offer personal training at said gym, etc.

For online, I think of Brittany Matthews' website. She is Patrick Mahomes' wife. Category: Training Programs | Brittany Lynne Fitness

Figure out your offering and who you want to help. Offer pay per session or allow people to buy groups of sessions, like 3/5/10. Start training. Long term, start to offer workout guides/training videos packaged with videos like in the website above.

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
Absolutely quality advice from most of you.

The biggest takeaways I've received:
- just start. if you had 5 days to sell to 100 people, what would you do?
- sell your services to your ideal customer
- possibly offer something as cheap as a $5 first time session
- ask for feedback about my service
- walk the floor at the gym and be helpful/friendly
- set weekly quotas for how many people youre going to try to sell to each week
- ask for 3 refferals from everyone you know

Cheers to all of you. Not kidding.

Now I just need to prove I want it and execute.

Here in Norway it is normal for PTs to become employed by a gym and then do their personal training through them, I think you get a really low salary as a base and the rest is from your coaching, "I think".

I remember that that guy I know used a "free mapping / consultation hour" as a selling technique. In that hour he was supposed to map your needs and plan with you, but really he used that hour to sell his services, because there was no reason to use that hour if the customer didn't want to pay for any actual services, because then that mapping would be useless in sorts.

I think you need to be really good with sales and people. I would check out what other successful PTs in my area are doing and copy them a little to get into the game at least.

And as others have said just go out there and get going.
Good luck :)

Redwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
May 6, 2018
Southern California
@JLE any update? It's been a week, have you got at least 1 client? Or done one session yet? Even if it is a free session in exchange for constructive criticism... ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.