The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SaaS Challenge - Will you participate?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany
Hey!

I will start a SaaS in March 2021. As for now I focus on studying until I wrote my final exams. Thought of just doing it and maybe start a progress thread, but today an idea came up.

Maybe here are more people want to start an SaaS or are in an early phase of starting one. We could start a challenge together over a defined time, e.g. 6 months and on the way help each other out on a technical and also on an entrepreneurial level.

Even thought of some sort of price pool e.g. 1.000$ for the winner at the end of the defined time (out of my own pocket? Maybe from all together as a form of commitment? Or even no price pool).

I study Business Informatics, so I have basic knowledge of programming and economy, but have no experience in building a business whatsoever.

Let me know under this post, if this is something you would be interested in. Also share your ideas on how this could work out or even why this is a bad idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Sounds interesting. I'm definitely starting a business in March/April but right now I have to choose from different ideas do some more research. If my business will be a SaaS I'll definitely come back to this thread.
But anyways good luck with your business.

tigerbalm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 23, 2018
Colorado
Also in my research phase for a SaaS. Trying to decide if I want to monetize and existing tool that I built for myself or start from scratch. I'm thinking the latter. I like the idea and will also revisit this thread when I have more details.

Jhudson238

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 17, 2020
Terre Haute, Indiana
Hey!

I will start a SaaS in March 2021. As for now I focus on studying until I wrote my final exams. Thought of just doing it and maybe start a progress thread, but today an idea came up.

Maybe here are more people want to start an SaaS or are in an early phase of starting one. We could start a challenge together over a defined time, e.g. 6 months and on the way help each other out on a technical and also on an entrepreneurial level.

Even thought of some sort of price pool e.g. 1.000$ for the winner at the end of the defined time (out of my own pocket? Maybe from all together as a form of commitment? Or even no price pool).

I study Business Informatics, so I have basic knowledge of programming and economy, but have no experience in building a business whatsoever.

Let me know under this post, if this is something you would be interested in. Also share your ideas on how this could work out or even why this is a bad idea.
First let me start by stating that I am not being condescending, but truly inquiring. What is Business Informatics? I am an engineer with an MBA, and I have not heard of this. Over the last 2 years I spent independently learning how to code software applications (SaaS) using ruby on rails. Not for pedigree, but just to help me get to my goals. One of my projects is to turn my 15+ years in manufacturing quality engineering and make a SaaS application that can help manufacturers find the right supplier using Supplier Quality Engineering tools.

What type of SAAS are you planning on starting? Is you why strong enough to get you through the development, execution, and assumption of risk it will take to get you through it all? Usually money does not help with this. Who are you going to help, and is there a vision to support this?

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Dec 24, 2019
Jesus. I see people here saying things like: I'm gonna start a SaaS in 1 month, but I gotta do more research on my idea.
Like how does that work? I don't want to be condescending or anything. Just curious.

I've been working on my SaaS for about 1 year now. Coding it all myself. Fixing bugs, Adding new features, doing new tests. Adding more security. It's a hell of a long time to spend on development compared to what you guys are saying.

tigerbalm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 23, 2018
Colorado
Jesus. I see people here saying things like: I'm gonna start a SaaS in 1 month, but I gotta do more research on my idea.
Like how does that work? I don't want to be condescending or anything. Just curious.

I've been working on my SaaS for about 1 year now. Coding it all myself. Fixing bugs, Adding new features, doing new tests. Adding more security. It's a hell of a long time to spend on development compared to what you guys are saying.
Not sure if you were referring to my post or not. If so here’s my answer:

The research phase includes market validation. Not the best idea to move forward with a product that hasn’t verified a need or desire. One should validate that there’s a market for a product before developing the product.

One example is through creating a landing page to gauge interest or even a rudimentary MVP, doing the work manually that will eventually be automated.

No point in wasting resources on a product that people don’t want, ya know?

Certainly not implying that the dev time is anything less than what you’ve mentioned.

Jhudson238

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 17, 2020
Terre Haute, Indiana

I agree Mike,

I too am doing the same thing. With my application, it is taking much longer than I could imagine, and I am a noob at the development thing. As you probably know, companies have teams of people working on development. For us bootstrapping, it could take 10x the amt of time it takes a company to develop an application that provides value to the marketplace.

Keep fighting the good fight!

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
First let me start by stating that I am not being condescending, but truly inquiring. What is Business Informatics? I am an engineer with an MBA, and I have not heard of this. Over the last 2 years I spent independently learning how to code software applications (SaaS) using ruby on rails. Not for pedigree, but just to help me get to my goals. One of my projects is to turn my 15+ years in manufacturing quality engineering and make a SaaS application that can help manufacturers find the right supplier using Supplier Quality Engineering tools.

What type of SAAS are you planning on starting? Is you why strong enough to get you through the development, execution, and assumption of risk it will take to get you through it all? Usually money does not help with this. Who are you going to help, and is there a vision to support this?
Is that idea worth pursuing? All this time your spending building - have you talked to people to see if they need it? If they did, or even if you did, why not build the MVP and get users? Users are going to guide your development, get 10 users who love the product and constantly talk to them. Build. Grow. Acquire another couple customers per week. Talk to them. Build. Grow.

Get the MVP out there, get the users to pay, and use that money to fund the business. Scale, don’t focus on perfection.

1 year? Have you talked to users? How many do you have?

Far too long to spend on just building. That time should be spent on an MVP, and then getting users, and using their guidance to build. A great looking tool that doesn’t have any paying customers isnt going to get you anywhere.

I recommend you both get an INSIDERS account, and go look at Ravens_Shadow thread.

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Dec 24, 2019
Is that idea worth pursuing? All this time your spending building - have you talked to people to see if they need it? If they did, or even if you did, why not build the MVP and get users? Users are going to guide your development, get 10 users who love the product and constantly talk to them. Build. Grow. Acquire another couple customers per week. Talk to them. Build. Grow.

Get the MVP out there, get the users to pay, and use that money to fund the business. Scale, don’t focus on perfection.

Far too long to spend on just building. That time should be spent on an MVP, and then getting users, and using their guidance to build. A great looking tool that doesn’t have any paying customers isnt going to get you anywhere.

I recommend you both get an INSIDERS account, and go look at Ravens_Shadow thread.
Hi, yeah I got an MVP out there. It was build with wordpress + some plugins + some custom code. But quickly realised my customers needed more. So that's why I'm building from scratch in a way that gives me the power to give them what they ask for. So that's why I don't consider my platform as "Launched" and I was a bit confused when I heard people say they were going to "start" or "launch" a SaaS in 1/2 months.

On the other hand, yeah you're right. Although I've followed the process and tested the need, I'l always wondering whether I'm building too much and testing too little.
I'll take a look at that thread. Thanks!

Jhudson238

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 17, 2020
Terre Haute, Indiana

I recommend you both get an INSIDERS account, and go look at Ravens_Shadow thread

Unfortunately there is alot of regulatory issues and customer demands that go into my product. The good thing is the experience/knowledge of the industry that I have honed over the years. Over 15 yrs working with suppliers, understanding their needs, knowing regulatory requirements, and even discussing with potential clients through "soft sales, or presales" once the application is finished, will require alot of security. The algorithms alone need to be spot on in order to add value. This MVP, if not done correctly, can shut down a business before it starts! UGH

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland

I think it's just the opposite. It's much easier to start a SaaS in 1-2 month. Because so there is no chance that you waste a year of hard work just for you to notice that there isn't a need for your SaaS.

Haven't started a lot of SaaS but with my last one I needed 3-4 weeks just to make a business plan, etc. so I know what exactly I'm doing. (however that was while working full-time in my other company) After that I got a friend in on the idea, and we spend around 5 weeks to do everything needed right now. So if it really didn't work out we would only waste around 7 weeks of work.

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020

This. People underestimate the kind of skills and work it takes to build a SaaS from scratch. Its not as simple as just building a frontend. You need to know your shit really well, specially of you plan on competing in a space where you'll be up against entities that can throw in money and hire experts.

And once you get started, you realize how much you still need to do. Frontend, Backend, Database, deploy on cloud? etc. etc. Then you realize the application isn't secure and you need to add security. I could go on.

That being said, its also certainly one of the most challenging and rewarding things you could do and gets you to learn stuff you won't otherwise -- which opens more doors as a software developer and increases you income from your day job, lets you take on consulting gigs, etc. The skills you learn stay for a lifetime and you don't struggle as much when you build your 2nd or 3rd application. Its a journey.

That being said, I am open to be proved wrong on this one. Discovering Figma for instance, opened my eyes to the rapid speed with which you could do frontend now-a-days. If there is a group out there where kindred spirits attempt to build something in record time, I would be glad to be a part of it and see my beliefs being shattered.

Last edited:

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
This. People underestimate the kind of skills and work it takes to build a SaaS from scratch. Its not as simple as just building a frontend. You need to know your shit really well, specially of you plan on competing in a space where you'll be up against entities that can throw in money and hire experts.

And once you get started, you realize how much you still need to do. Frontend, Backend, Database, deploy on cloud? etc. etc. Then you realize the application isn't secure and you need to add security. I could go on.

That being said, its also certainly one of the most challenging and rewarding things you could do and gets you to learn stuff you won't otherwise -- which opens more doors as a software developer and increases you income from your day job, lets you take on consulting gigs, etc. The skills you learn stay for a lifetime and you don't struggle as much when you build your 2nd or 3rd application. Its a journey.

That being said, I am open to be proved wrong on this one. Discovering Figma for instance, opened my eyes to the rapid speed with which you could do frontend now-a-days. If there is a group out there where kindred spirits attempt to build something in record time, I would be glad to be a part of it and see my beliefs being shattered.
Great comment!
I 100% underestimate the kind of work it takes to build a SaaS. But why don't try to do it in two months, you probably need longer, but I find if I give myself really strict time lines I get more work done.
And let's be honest a lot depends on what kind of SaaS you're building.

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany

You may not have heard of it, because I translated it from German to English and perhaps this degree isn't available in the US, or I translated wrong. Basically it is a degree which combines business & administration and informatics.

I will build something that is already existing, but with a special twist that has helped me and is not yet on the market. It isn't something super complicated, but definitely above my current skill level, so I will learn a lot. As you are asking for a why and vision. Even if no one uses my software, I will. It is something I want to use every day anyway. The Worst case would be that I built myself a tool I use every day and learned a lot on a technical and entrepreneurial level.

Last edited:

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany

It is not like I said it will only take 6 months to create a fully developed SaaS lol.

I also mentioned that I am total beginner and the 6 months are 1) just an example as I said I have no clue how something like that could look like and 2) just to put an end to a possible challenge and if the outcome is that you successfully validated your idea and built a first MVP then that is a great outcome I think.

Kinda bad vibe under this post in general and I don't know why. Everyone somehow has to start and to post a comment mocking other people that want to start is kinda weird, but guess we will know better in 6 months. You could be right, who knows.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Kinda bad vibe under this post in general and I don't know why.
I didn't read all the posts but I suspect that you just poked a nerve on people who are working hard trying to create their own thing (and it's taking longer than expected), I wouldn't take it personally.

I worked in tech for 11 year and was in leadership positions at two fortune 500 software companies. I've also created several of my own projects (both for hobby and for profit) and can say with certainty software is notoriously difficult to estimate. I just wanted to chime in with two pieces of (I hope) helpful advice.

I can't remember who said this in my career but the gist was "Cost, Scale, Time - you can only control for 2 and we have to ship" - basically it means if you are going ship at a given time, you either have to cut features (scale) or throw money at the problem (cost). There are nuances to this as after a certain point throwing more engineering resources at a software problem often results in worse performance, but I digress. The point is if you give yourself a deadline, ship something and cut features if you won't make the deadline but have something "production" ready at that date.

The other thing I can't remember who said (some famous tech CEO I think) - "If you're not embarrassed by your MVP you shipped too late". I think this is the most relevant point for aspiring SAAS founders.

In terms of your strategy for an accountability group, I think it's actually a good idea and I credit you for putting a goal out there and working towards it. I'm building a new SAAS product right now. I'm not sure if I have interest in the group you mentioned. It would depend on the format and how many people are involved.

Last edited:

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Dec 24, 2019
It is not like I said it will only take 6 months to create a fully developed SaaS lol.

I also mentioned that I am total beginner and the 6 months are 1) just an example as I said I have no clue how something like that could look like and 2) just to put an end to a possible challenge and if the outcome is that you successfully validated your idea and built a first MVP then that is a great outcome I think.

Kinda bad vibe under this post in general and I don't know why. Everyone somehow has to start and to post a comment mocking other people that want to start is kinda weird, but guess we will know better in 6 months. You could be right, who knows.
oh yeah it definitely makes sense now.
1 Month to verify your idea and make a first MVP is definitely doable and like others have pointed out it's much better than building first and testing demand later.

Sorry of the my thick skull. I'm one of the ones that didn't understand what you meant in the beginning.

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany
I can't remember who said this in my career but the gist was "Cost, Scale, Time - you can only control for 2 and we have to ship" - basically it means if you are going ship at a given time, you either have to cut features (scale) or throw money at the problem (cost). There are nuances to this as after a certain point throwing more engineering resources at a software problem often results in worse performance, but I digress. The point is if you give yourself a deadline, ship something and cut features if you won't make the deadline but have something "production" ready at that date.
Haha yes I also heard that in class.
In terms of your strategy for an accountability group, I think it's actually a good idea and I credit you for putting a goal out there and working towards it. I'm building a new SAAS product right now. I'm not sure if I have interest in the group you mentioned. It would depend on the format and how many people are involved.
Yeah, as I said the format and how many people will be involved is not determined yet, but if you have any suggestion, feel free to let me know. It was just an idea and if no one wants to participate thats fine too.

I will start on March 8th. Let´s see how it goes till then.

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany
Okay, as I said, today I start building my SaaS.
I will begin with evaluating which tech stack suits best for the project till March 14th or if possible earlier. Already finished a project within my degree with a company and in this project I learned that it is important to take time and evaluate different technologies.

I will try to update this thread weekly.

Last edited:

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Okay, as I said, today I start building my SaaS.
I will begin with evaluating which tech stack suits best for the project till March 14th or if possible earlier. Already finished a project within my degree with a company and in this project I learned that it is important to take time and evaluate different technologies.

I will try to update this thread weekly.

re tech stack. I highly recommend AWS hosting for backend and using AWS Sam for deployment. You get access to a ton of great infrastructure like queues, event bus, storage, automated db backups, etc. You can build 99% of mvps using just FAAS approach (ie lambdas) and it is very cost efficient. AWS supports both relational and non relational db's depending on your use case. The last few apps I’ve built have been on AWS and I’m very impressed with their offering and cost and how fast you can have something decently complex up and running. You can have something deployed in minutes. The local dev experience is pretty good as well. Serverless framework is a popular abstraction but I just go with AWS Sam directly. You can code the lambdas in any of several supported languages.

For front end/web server I’ve been using nextjs and have been liking it. You can use nextjs as your middleware / backend as well (ie calling directly to your db) but I recommend just calling out to your aws API gateway (have your FAAS architecture service the requests) and just using next for service/rendering the pages. It’s very fast, well optimized and based on react. React is by far the best js framework I have ever used and you can use something like react-bootstrap or react material ui to get a clean ui built very quickly leveraging all the nicely styled components. Note that material ui and nextjs have some integration quirks due to the way the style sheets are loaded but this is solvable. react bootstrap is super simple to use and you can easily style it with bootswatch to match different themes and override where necessary And have a quickly built responsive ui.

Last edited:

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany
re tech stack. I highly recommend AWS hosting for backend and using AWS Sam for deployment. You get access to a ton of great infrastructure like queues, event bus, storage, automated db backups, etc. You can build 99% of mvps using just FAAS approach (ie lambdas) and it is very cost efficient. AWS supports both relational and non relational db's depending on your use case. The last few apps I’ve built have been on AWS and I’m very impressed with their offering and cost and how fast you can have something decently complex up and running. You can have something deployed in minutes. The local dev experience is pretty good as well. Serverless framework is a popular abstraction but I just go with AWS Sam directly. You can code the lambdas in any of several supported languages.

For front end/web server I’ve been using nextjs and have been liking it. You can use nextjs as your middleware / backend as well (ie calling directly to your db) but I recommend just calling out to your aws API gateway (have your FAAS architecture service the requests) and just using next for service/rendering the pages. It’s very fast, well optimized and based on react. React is by far the best js framework I have ever used and you can use something like react-bootstrap or react material ui to get a clean ui built very quickly leveraging all the nicely styled components. Note that material ui and nextjs have some integration quirks due to the way the style sheets are loaded but this is solvable. react bootstrap is super simple to use and you can easily style it with bootswatch to match different themes and override where necessary And have a quickly built responsive ui.
Thanks for sharing your previous experience! I looked into AWS and also watched several videos where AWS and Firebase is compared.
AWS seems to offer more customization, but with a bit less user-friendly design.
I think for my purpose Firebase is more suitable as I don't need that much customization, and it is more beginner-friendly.

For front end I will use React as it is very popular, well documented and has a large community. Thanks for your tip here as well.

I already set up my environment, but with some difficulties, because of Windows 10.

Now it all should be good to go (just some backend, but this is almost completely done by Firebase) and I can start actually to code.

Also, I specified exactly the scope of the MVP and will today do a quick Mock up of how my app should look like.

Till next week 22.03.2021

• Mock up
  • finishing a quick tutorial that gets me started with React and Firebase
  • two functions specified in the scope
  • detailed Marketing concept

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
So much talk about research...

But I can tell 95% of the people in this thread didn't even do basic research on this forum for SaaS related threads.

If they did, they would know all this "research" is bullshit.

It's been 25 days since this thread opened, and I can tell that no one has even coded a single line yet in their SaaS.

Instead of mockups and marketing plans, everyone in this thread should have coded up the MVP of the product by now, in a language they can handle.

Protip, this isn't about building a front end. Why build a frontend if you don't have the backend function ready and working.

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany
So much talk about research...

But I can tell 95% of the people in this thread didn't even do basic research on this forum for SaaS related threads.

It's been 25 days since this thread opened, and I can tell that no one has even coded a single line yet in their SaaS.

Instead of mockups and marketing plans, everyone in this thread should have coded up the MVP of the product by now, in a language they can handle.

Protip, this isn't about building a front end. Why build a frontend if you don't have the backend function ready and working.

If you would have read the posts here you would know that I started my project just a week ago.

Nothing wrong with evaluating different technologies beforehand. This is may not required if you start your 7th SaaS, because you know how everything works and what technology to use.

Actually I read some pages of your thread and could learn something about how to market a SaaS. This is actually why I pointed this out in my list. This isn't gonna be a plan I invest 10+ hours in, but rather a guideline of how I plan to market my SaaS. Maybe "detailed" is wrong here.

I never mentioned building the frontend first.

Protip, stop being rude and don't waste your time writing comments, where you didn't even read the thread.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
If you would have read the posts here you would know that I started my project just a week ago.

Nothing wrong with evaluating different technologies beforehand. This is may not required if you start your 7th SaaS, because you know how everything works and what technology to use.

Actually I read some pages of your thread and could learn something about how to market a SaaS. This is actually why I pointed this out in my list. This isn't gonna be a plan I invest 10+ hours in, but rather a guideline of how I plan to market my SaaS. Maybe "detailed" is wrong here.

I never mentioned building the frontend first.

Protip, stop being rude and don't waste your time writing comments, where you didn't even read the thread.

@LFDY, how do you know I was speaking about you personally? There are other posters in this thread also wasting time that my post applies to. When I first wrote it, I actually wasn't even thinking about you because there were several people interested maybe in your GROUP challenge.. meaning more than just you I was writing about.

Sorry that you may be a snowflake, but that's not my problem so I'll be what you think is "rude" all I want.

Sometimes tough love is what is needed.

Things like planning your marketing before you even have a product is time wasting. If you're an authority in what you're building, you already know where your customers hang out. If you don't, you shouldn't really be building the SaaS because why build something you aren't a domain authority of?

Shit or get off the pot though. You are spending needless hours and time researching instead of building.

7 SaaS's have taught me a thing or 2. Something those college professors and other posters on this thread more than likely could learn from.

At the end of the day, telling yourself you will "launch a SaaS" in a month or "start on the 14th" is no different than all those people before Thanksgiving saying, "I'll start a diet beginning New Years day".

Why wait? It only shows a broken sense of commitment, no matter the excuse ( exams or not ).

What is research going to show you? What someone else thinks? Let me know how that turns out because most of those things end up a "how long is a piece of string" type of research.

Good luck.

Last edited:

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany
If you don't, you shouldn't really be building the SaaS because why build something you aren't a domain authority of?
Exactly, why would I built for e.g. a pdf to word converter if I am not a authority in pdf converting?! Don't get me wrong, being an authority is necessary in some cases, but is definitely not a general rule.
At the end of the day, telling yourself you will "launch a SaaS" in a month or "start on the 14th" is no different than all those people before Thanksgiving saying, "I'll start a diet beginning New Years day".
Right, expect that I actually took action and the people saying they would didn't.
Why wait? It only shows a broken sense of commitment, no matter the excuse ( exams or not ).
In my opinion it shows a strong sense of commitment. I commited 100% my times for studys in the short amount of time and got straight A`s so far.
If this isn't committment, I don't know what is.
Now I commit to building a SaaS. It is now a priority and wasn't before.
What is research going to show you? What someone else thinks?
What research? Only mentioned "research" on a technical level, which is necessary if you don't have experience. I don't claim to research my idea more or do you see me asking for validation of my idea or if I should start this or that Saas?
You don't.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Exactly, why would I built for e.g. a pdf to word converter if I am not a authority in pdf converting?! Don't get me wrong, being an authority is necessary in some cases, but is definitely not a general rule.
In all cases you need to be a domain authority. Someone that knows more than the lay person.

Why?

If not, you rely on someone else to tell you how to do X. Either because you research it or hire someone, or via surveys.. etc.

And what's that gonna do for you? It's generally just someone's thoughts that can lead you down the wrong path.

So yes, it's a general rule if you want to do it correctly. Else stumble around and waste even more time when you have to research or ask someone else, who probably doesn't know or their experience doesn't actually equal what you need today.

Right, expect that I actually took action and the people saying they would didn't.

And exactly why I said "how do you know I was talking about you" and my statement about the others in this thread. You took it as it was me only talking about you, when I never even mentioned you and referenced 95% of the people in this thread... Why are you taking things personal?

If you throw a rock at a pack of dogs, the only one that barks loudly is the one that got hit. I wasn't aiming at you, but you barked the loudest for some reason. Maybe you got hit deep down in your feels for some reason?

In my opinion it shows a strong sense of commitment. I commited 100% my times for studys in the short amount of time and got straight A`s so far.
If this isn't committment, I don't know what is.
Now I commit to building a SaaS. It is now a priority and wasn't before.

If you think so, ok. But you left out you spend time on a digital menu project that flopped here -> Marketing: digital menu for restaurants/bars/other locations with physical menus in Jan and Feb this year.. like 2 months ago and last month....

So you weren't 100% committed to your studies like you say here.

Also, because you weren't a domain authority on that project ( menus, restaurants, etc ) you failed to know about digital menu's already in use for COVID, and how COVID would have impacted you. See how these things tie together?

All that research you did for the menu's project( and time you spent on it, not 100% on your studies ) got you where?

Again, stop doing research and build. Again, you aren't committed like you say to your studies as an excuse because you had this other side project going on - you aren't fooling me. Again, you need to be a domain authority or the first bump in the road is going to kill you like it did the menu side project.

What research? Only mentioned "research" on a technical level, which is necessary if you don't have experience. I don't claim to research my idea more or do you see me asking for validation of my idea or if I should start this or that Saas?
You don't.

I see mentions of reviewing tech stacks, building mockups, taking classes on React ( which is front end tech for largely building UX/GUIs ), detailing marketing plans, etc and you haven't posted 1 thing about coding up the backend functions to know if it would work.

Until you write a line of code to prove raw A+B functionally on your backend, everything else is just picking out the color of your Ferrari.

Pick 1 backend language that is going to interact with your backend database, code the raw value on your desktop, and once proven.. then do everything else.

Otherwise, how useful is the research on picking XYZ stack, wireframe mockups, React, or your marketing plan going to be if you can't get the raw A+B value out of the code?

What good is any of it if you aren't a domain authority anyways so when something goes wrong in your "plan" you have to rely on someone else to tell you what to do and that goes wrong too?

Last edited:

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany
And exactly why I said "how do you know I was talking about you" and my statement about the others in this thread. You took it as it was me only talking about you, when I never even mentioned you and referenced 95% of the people in this thread... Why are you taking things personal?
You are commenting under my thread? That its why I am assuming you are also talking about me. And as you said yourself, you do.
If you throw a rock at a pack of dogs, the only one that barks loudly is the one that got hit. I wasn't aiming at you, but you barked the loudest for some reason. Maybe you got hit deep down in your feels for some reason?
Cool quote. Finally something that provides real value.

If you think so, ok. But you left out you spend time on a digital menu project that flopped here -> Marketing: digital menu for restaurants/bars/other locations with physical menus

So you weren't 100% committed to your studies like you say here.
I wrote my first exam on 15th february and quitted my side project mid-end of january 2021.
I was 100% committed to my studies.
Only the update was in mid February, because I didn't want to let the thread open like that.
But the dedication to look into my other posts to find this information shows that I am partly right and your statements not fully correct.
Also, because you were a domain authority on that project ( menus, restaurants, etc ) you failed to know about digital menu's already in use for COVID, and how COVID would have impacted you. See how these things tie together?
Thats right.
All that research you did for the menu's project( and time you spent on it, not 100% on your studies ) got you where?
I learned from it. I didn't look into competitors and whats already on the market.
you haven't posted 1 thing about coding up the backend functions to know if it would work.
Is wrong. Firebase functions as a backend and I already set things up.

What good is any of it if you aren't a domain authority anyways so when something goes wrong in your "plan" you have to rely on someone else to tell you what to do and that goes wrong too?
Never said I am not a domain authority, just wanted to provide an example where this doesn't apply.

However, I understand your point in taking action, but this is exactly what I do.

Proper planing prevents poor execution, if you don't only plan all the time and take action.

I just started one week ago and you are already mocking about not writing a single line of code and looking into old posts to (falsely) degrade my commitment.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
You are commenting under my thread? That its why I am assuming you are also talking about me. And as you said yourself, you do.

Cool quote. Finally something that provides real value.

I wrote my first exam on 15th february and quitted my side project mid-end of january 2021.
I was 100% committed to my studies.
Only the update was in mid February, because I didn't want to let the thread open like that.
But the dedication to look into my other posts to find this information shows that I am partly right and your statements not fully correct.

Thats right.

I learned from it. I didn't look into competitors and whats already on the market.

Is wrong. Firebase functions as a backend and I already set things up.

Never said I am not a domain authority, just wanted to provide an example where this doesn't apply.

However, I understand your point in taking action, but this is exactly what I do.

Proper planing prevents poor execution, if you don't only plan all the time and take action.

I just started one week ago and you are already mocking about not writing a single line of code and looking into old posts to (falsely) degrade my commitment.

I guess you don't understand, which is how your other project failed.. so I wont break down further why each of your rebuttals is wrong above. If you fail to learn, then no one can help you. Especially when you act butt hurt over comments that weren't even pointed to you to begin with. Life will catch up with you so I don't need to prove anything else.

However, if you disagree with me so much... WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME ON THIS FORUM and liking the posts on my SaaS thread?

Kinda stupid..

LFDY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 16, 2020
Germany
I guess you don't understand, which is how your other project failed.. so I wont break down further why each of your rebuttals is wrong above. If you fail to learn, then no one can help you. Especially when you act butt hurt over comments that weren't even pointed to you to begin with. Life will catch up with you so I don't need to prove anything else.
Thats fine with me.

To make this clear, with your first post you 100% are refering to me as you can read here:
No one, expect me, talked about mockups and marketing plans. Also you are saying "everyone". Don't try to claim something and after you found yourself wrong, trying to twist the context.
Don't know why you try to hard to say you were not refering to me as it is just so clear to read.
However, if you disagree with me so much... WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME ON THIS FORUM and liking the posts on my SaaS thread?

Kinda stupid..
I disagree with you in some parts, but not in all.

I found your post on your SaaS thread quite helpful. Especially that one should focus on marketing on others platform and not focusing on seo etc. and a lot more

However, this doesn't mean I have to agree with all of your comments here.

Or to say it in your toxic manner: Your last statement is kinda stupid.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
To make this clear, with your first post you 100% are refering to me as you can read here:
No one, expect me, talked about mockups and marketing plans. Also you are saying "everyone". Don't try to claim something and after you found yourself wrong, trying to twist the context.
Don't know why you try to hard to say you were not refering to me as it is just so clear to read.

I think you missed the "everyone" part in that post, which you copied here. It's an unedited post btw.

Again, you are not understanding.

for clarity, the rest of the post also talks about "people" which is plural.

Here it is below:

people, no one, everyone.. it's pretty clear Im talking about more than 1 person. Its aimed at more than 1 person.

But like I said before, you're barking the loudest so you must have got hit in the feels when I threw the rock even when I stated in prior posts I wasn't aiming at you and my unedited posts also mention everyone, people, no one.

smh.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.