The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Removing Social Media from my life, in particular Facebook

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

nutleydotie

eCommerce Development Consultant - www.snazzy.ie
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 13, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hey, Been a member on here around 3 years, but have been slow to participate. Over the past year, I've come to realise just how much time I've wasted looking at Facebook and other social media.

I've removed myself from Twitter, Snapchat etc. I had already turned off notifications for the Facebook app on my phone. And then finally removed the app completely from my phone.

But in the past 2 months have noticed just how little I'm actually getting done work-wise despite spending so much time on the laptop/phone. Installed RescueTime on the Mac and nearly felt sick when I realised just how many hours I waste every day on Facebook for fear of missing out. It was the final kick up the a$$ I needed to deactivate my account. (4 - 6 hours a day popping in and out of the website)

But besides the time I wasted there were other factors in why I wanted to finally leave:
  • Facebook is not the same platform it was 5 or more years ago
  • It's not about social sharing amongst real friends and family any more
  • It's full of forced political and opinions trying to be rammed down my neck rather than fun/happy times
  • Fake ads promoting cons/scams I've remorted and left up
  • Clear bullying/intimidation that is not removed
  • Personally, I was banned from advertising for helping a medical supply company reach patients during the pandemic
    (Client eventually got back advertising, but I've been blacklisted) - This shocked me at how much control over advertising Facebook has, there is no ability to find out why, or to talk to a real person. And that ads are allowed run first, then blocked, unlike Google who manually approves each ad first.
Anyway, the control that Facebook had on my life has been lifted. Just over a week since I deactivated my account. I still have Messenger should people need to get in touch. I did use the group features for some software/services I use and was some value in some of the business groups I was in, but overall it was time to leave.

As miserable as a Covid Christmas has been this year, It's been a joy not having Facebook in my life anymore.
I've tried to deactivate and leave before, but this is the first time I don't feel the need to jump back after a day or two.

Posting this to try help/encourage anyone else who finds them self procrastinating greatly on social media, that your not missing anything.
Stephen

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nutleydotie

eCommerce Development Consultant - www.snazzy.ie
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 13, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Also I forgot to mention...

Fake News - I think for humanity as a whole, its terrifying that social media can be manipulated to push false truths such as Anti Vax, Covid Hoax etc. Its truly terrifying that any media organisation has a level of control like this in the world.

Stephen

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Hi Stephen. 4-6 hours a day. That's... wild.

I've never used facebook, and never understood what the fuss was about.
But *shrug* clearly it was a very profitable idea.

Enjoy your freedom.

Life is a lot more than whatever happens online.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hey, Been a member on here around 3 years, but have been slow to participate. Over the past year, I've come to realise just how much time I've wasted looking at Facebook and other social media.

I've removed myself from Twitter, Snapchat etc. I had already turned off notifications for the Facebook app on my phone. And then finally removed the app completely from my phone.

But in the past 2 months have noticed just how little I'm actually getting done work-wise despite spending so much time on the laptop/phone. Installed RescueTime on the Mac and nearly felt sick when I realised just how many hours I waste every day on Facebook for fear of missing out. It was the final kick up the a$$ I needed to deactivate my account. (4 - 6 hours a day popping in and out of the website)

But besides the time I wasted there were other factors in why I wanted to finally leave:
  • It's full of forced political and opinions trying to be rammed down my neck rather than fun/happy times
  • Personally, I was banned from advertising for helping a medical supply company reach patients during the pandemic
    (Client eventually got back advertising, but I've been blacklisted) - This shocked me at how much control over advertising Facebook has, there is no ability to find out why, or to talk to a real person. And that ads are allowed run first, then blocked, unlike Google who manually approves each ad first.
Anyway, the control that Facebook had on my life has been lifted. Just over a week since I deactivated my account. I still have Messenger should people need to get in touch. I did use the group features for some software/services I use and was some value in some of the business groups I was in, but overall it was time to leave.

As miserable as a Covid Christmas has been this year, It's been a joy not having Facebook in my life anymore.
I've tried to deactivate and leave before, but this is the first time I don't feel the need to jump back after a day or two.

Posting this to try help/encourage anyone else who finds them self procrastinating greatly on social media, that your not missing anything.
Stephen

Good work on cutting out all Social Media. There's an excellent chapter in Cal Newports "Deep Work" about cutting out all Social Media or "Draining the Swamp/Shallows" as he correctly calls it...

I wish I could but I need it for a few products I'm working on sadly.... God I still remember my FB addiction stage... for a long time if a night out wasn't posted on FB then it felt like it didn't happen... its crazy looking back now!

Yes I'm now a bitter opponent of Zuckerberg since he allowed FB to become a tool for the politics of Ethnic Conflict and Racism...

Last edited:

damicofj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 25, 2019
Argentina

Stephen
Really good choice mate.
I made the same decision a few months ago an productivity and overall happiness increased drastically.
My problem was with fuc$%#% Instagram.
For the ones considering it: Deactivating or deleting you account may be one of the best decision you could make . It is hard in the beggining and you may reactivate it a few times till you realize that you ain't missing a shit, but when you make the final decision your life really changes

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
Also I forgot to mention...

Fake News - I think for humanity as a whole, its terrifying that social media can be manipulated to push false truths such as Anti Vax, Covid Hoax etc. Its truly terrifying that any media organisation has a level of control like this in the world.

Stephen
I dont think that's the platform's fault more than the people actually believing that garbage and posting it on their feeds.

j0elsuf

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Dec 15, 2020
Way to go! I deleted my fb last September. Should have done it five years earlier.

Different than most, I didn't miss it at all. The second I deleted it I was like "Christ, how come I didn't do this sooner?"

I still use Instagram as an online dating platform tho. But I hardly get any notifications from it and it's not a major distraction from me. Probably because I use it like a dating app more than anything and I only go on dating apps during my downtime, Instagram included.

I actually want to coach social media addicts because I think I have a lot to offer those who are struggling with social media addiction, which to me is starting to get right up there with being addicted to any kind of substance. Maybe I'm only saying this cuz two of my buddies ended their own lives because of how social media made them feel inferior but who knows.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
'Facebook makes you hate people you've up til now spent your life quite liking.' - read that somewhere and it's not untrue.

I personally dislike Twitter and the power it seems to have acquired. When did we start seriously talking about 'cancelling' people? The amount of anger and aggression that seems to spew from it is frightening.

My children have started using Whatsapp and the conversations I've been having with them can be summarised as, "don't send anything that you might regret later, don't express any sort of opinion, be very very careful about photos, don't ever mention, well, anything really as it might not sound great out of context a year later". I wonder what the point is sometimes.

I'm not sure if it's possible to live your life completely without social media, or at least not if you've got school age children (as it seems to be the main unofficial means of contact with our schools anyway) but I agree that's it's become less and less of a life enhancer over the years.

Good luck.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I was a big advocate for social media only a year ago, so am a bit embarrassed with my view back then. Once I stopped having social media clients, I deleted Instagram and deactivated Facebook, about 6 months ago.

Deactivating facebook is nowhere NEAR the same as deleting it. Twice, facebook reactivated it without me knowing (found out because of birthday wishes).

Deleted it for good yesterday. Apparently it still takes 30 days lol.

I was always hesitant because of messenger and some of the photos/memories but it isn't worth the downside, not by a long shot.

Delete, dont just deactivate. You'll likely be back in a few months otherwise.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.