The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google offers alternative to college degrees

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
If Google can partially replace college tech degrees with their own material, I would expect a whole "Google college prep" industry to be created. Just like there is for CompTIA and for other certs. In case anyone is in the "exam prep" field.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tossek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 5, 2019
Germany
I love it and I hate it.

It is a very good thing that they put skin in the game of further education and downturn the costs of these educational courses. However, what is their intrinsic idea? Get more people into these trades and lower their costs of HR spending because they are bound within the certification scheme of Google which will absorb most of the people.
Nevertheless, it is a great opportunity to get fast training and then training on the job and be able to go into other companies after 2 to 3 years.

It is a bad thing because it loses a bit the general approach of college teaching. I know, I know most people here just want to get started and kill the cat but at some point you need the generalists. I would not like to miss my university time and what I have learned - though I know that I am not very fastlany :) .

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have always though a standardized proof of proficiency on a topic should be just as good as college. This all looks promising though.

Everything google does is super affordable or free.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
Very interesting.

I wonder if this won't be a catalyst for bigger institutional changes in other industries as well.

I've often thought an engineering trade school would have a huge demand, from both an employer and student/employee perspective. ~40 hours a week, year-round with no long summer or winter breaks, and no "fluff" in the curriculum. More of a "work" culture as opposed to a relaxed college culture.

People could probably become engineers in 2 years or less.

The bottom line is there are better alternatives to an expensive 4-year degree, alternatives that don't exist yet. I hope this program moves the needle in the right direction.

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
The bottom line is there are better alternatives to an expensive 4-year degree, alternatives that don't exist yet. I hope this program moves the needle in the right direction.
I think there is, but it is confined to certain industries. For example, I have an associates degree, but with numerous certifications in IT that show I have some competency outside of a classroom. I definitely see anything technology related heading more towards lower college education/more certification & experience

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I think this is fantastic. For me I kind of think that the goal of education is for the humans as a species to grow into the best we can be. Look at us and our quality of life now compared to 500 hundred years ago, 300 years ago, 100 years ago. I think a massive influence is our general level of education.

If you want to be some super specialized master at one particular thing, then go ahead, no one is stopping you.

There is a reason I am helping to pay for poor women overseas get an education. Raise up the most uneducated, and you can change entire societies. Now imagine if anyone in the world can have access to more advanced education. Those that have the nack for learning and doing can use those building blocks and grow it and go on to do great things.

I think actually unlocking the power of the internet for more than memes and cat videos would be fantastic.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I think this is fantastic. For me I kind of think that the goal of education is for the humans as a species to grow into the best we can be. Look at us and our quality of life now compared to 500 hundred years ago, 300 years ago, 100 years ago. I think a massive influence is our general level of education.

If you want to be some super specialized master at one particular thing, then go ahead, no one is stopping you.

There is a reason I am helping to pay for poor women overseas get an education. Raise up the most uneducated, and you can change entire societies. Now imagine if anyone in the world can have access to more advanced education. Those that have the nack for learning and doing can use those building blocks and grow it and go on to do great things.

I think actually unlocking the power of the internet for more than memes and cat videos would be fantastic.

Completely agree!

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Google should do alternative to itself.
As for now they are going down the tubes.

Putt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 1, 2020
Professional certs are definitely becoming more relevant these days. I've met Business Administration majors that can't interpret financial statements and plenty enough 'tech' grads that can't explain anything to a non-tech.

Higher education has needed change for a long time. While I don't think Google is going to 'be' that change, hopefully they can make people believe change is possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.