The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a Thriving Personal Brand w/ YouTube - A Journal & A Personal Guide.

tonibob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 22, 2020
London
Update 10. The 8th Video.

Finally, after almost 3 months of craziness, the 8th video premiered yesterday and went live on the channel...

View: https://youtu.be/4bkk8oG9HRA

Now, let's talk about my strategy with this one...

INITIAL PLAN
When I scripted this video and began the early stages of editing, I didn't have the 99% of the audience that I have right now. It was my initial plan that this would be the video that could propel my channel forward.

My intentions with this video was to target a few different markets, Tyler1's fanbase, the Twitch community, and the League of Legends community.

My ideal hopes were that if the video was good enough, it would be watched by other live streamers on their streams and it would expose the video and the channel to thousands of other people. Of course, I was ideally hoping that someone like Tyler1 would react to it on stream himself.

It was a risky video, but my thinking at the time was: "hey, I don't have much of an audience built up, I'm fine to experiment and take some risks..."

That was the plan. But there are some clear faults with strategy, especially considering what happened to the channel after I began creating this video.

THE UNEXPECTED
During the creation of this video, the channel had started to blow up.

I went from someone with about 200 subscribers, to over 250k by the time this video was wrapping up.

Although it was amazing to see, there was a slight concern in the back of my mind: I initially started creating this Tyler1 video with the idea that I didn't have a huge audience, and could make that gamble. Now I had a massive audience, a lot of momentum, and it probably wasn't the best time to be taking risks with my content, it would be best to ride the wave of that momentum...

...but after writing a 24 page script, and already sinking in hours of work on editing, I felt like I was already beyond the point of return. And so I sucked it up and said "alright, we'll have to take this risk and see where it gets us".

Another flaw in the strategy here is fairly obvious from a marketing standpoint: would anyone from those communities I was targeting even be interested in subjects related to business, money, finance, etc?

Probably not.

Why I didn't emphasise this concern in my mind is beyond me... I think I was blinded by the idea of someone I've been a fan of (Tyler1) and a community that I had been fairly active in (Twitch) seeing my work, and enjoying it. In other words, I was thinking with passion and love, but not about the target market and the audience my other videos were collecting.

Yes, if this video blew up I could have expanded my audience into a whole new market, but if they're only there for one video - what's the point?

But once I had made that decision to continue with this video, and see how things go, I had to brush aside those thoughts and focus on creating the best video I could.

THE PREMIERE
I also wanted to test out using the premiere feature on YouTube. Once my audience grew, I figure it would be really amazing to turn this video's release into an actual event. I can hype it up, release a trailer (as I did), and get people pumped up for it...

So how did it go?

Pretty good! Leading up to the video's release, I stayed in the chat room and interacted with my audience, answering questions, etc.

And as the video was starting, I realised that another Twitch streamer was watching the video live on his own stream to an audience of about 3.8k - 4k viewers.

That combined with the notifications sent out to my subscribers gave the video a consistent 1k viewers at the premiere throughout (amazing!!). Overall the video seemed well-received. The streamer who was watching it live on his own stream enjoyed it a lot, and I'm sure some of his viewers came on to the channel and subscribed + liked the video afterwards.

We totalled about 4k views on the actual video itself in the first hour of its release, and by the time I woke up today we were at about 13k views on the video, and as I write this the video currently stands at 20k views.

PREDICTIONS
There's a few things that can happen here, it's just a matter of whether the algorithm finds the right audience to target the video to.

I think the video can definitely hit around 60 - 100k viewers in the next week or so.

However, this has potential to go even bigger than that if the algorithm starts pushing the video out to Tyler's audience (which I'm hoping the metadata of the video will be able to help with).

Right now, I am sure that the algorithm is pushing this video to my audience, and others who are similar to my audience. Although it could take a while for the algorithm to start testing it with Tyler1's audience.

But I believe once Tyler1's audience start picking up on the video, and more people from that community grow aware of the video, the algorithm will adjust and it will begin to be promoted across to that audience which I'm sure it will do well with.

Of course, if Tyler1 himself actually reacts to the video, that will be an immense boost.

But all I can do for now is play the waiting game with this video and just focus on the next project. The algorithm took 3 months after its release to start pushing my Fake Guru video to the right audience, so who knows? Some other YouTuber friends that I've made recently have had their own videos start getting pushed by the algorithm 5 days later. It really is just a matter of letting the algorithm do its thing and hopefully it adjusts and starts targetting the best audience for this video.

If not, then the video will sit comfortably at roughly 60 - 100k views.

REFLECTION
I definitely don't regret making this video, not at all. I learnt so much during the creation of this video, and all of these skills are going to translate through into my other videos!

However, would I have created this video if I had the audience I have right now? Definitely not.

But that's okay - I have to remind myself that I only have 8 videos-worth of experience on YouTube. Mistakes are bound to be made. And besides, we still haven't got enough data points on this new video to really determine whether it is successful or not.

Based on the comments, and likes, my core audience has enjoyed it for the most part (even those with no interest in gaming or Tyler1), which is something I'm quite proud about. I think it's proven to myself that I'm able to take something/someone fairly niche and be able to present that topic/person in a way that others who have never heard about it can enjoy. That's a really great achievement in my eye!

Also, in terms of watch time and average view duration, this video has done very well (which I expected due to its insane length). It's currently got an average view duration of 13:44. That's more than any of my other videos which gives me hope that the algorithm is going to keep pushing this thing out and will and on the right audience at some point in the next few days/weeks.

CONCLUSION
Now, it's time to rest my brain and imagination for 2/3 days and recuperate from this project, and then we're straight on to the next one!

This next one is something I'm pretty hyped about since I know my core audience has been asking for a video on it, and it's a fairly huge subject/industry with quite a lot of controversy. I'll give you a hint, it starts with an "M" and ends with a "Marketing" ;)

There's also a lot more I want to tell you all regarding my plans for the Patreon page, and the longer-term vision for the channel (boy is it exciting!!!).

Oh, and just to end with a bang, my pay check for the month of June came up to an insane £24,088.03.

Yeah... more than double last month. What the f*ck. But again... the majority of that is going right back into the business, nothing to do with me personally :D
Hi James @Valier ,

I watched the premier and well done for the effort! Your skills have improved a lot!
I got two boys, 12 and 14 both play games (Fortinte, Valorant, CSGO etc)(I join them some times playing Valorant) and they are constantly on twitch as well as streaming. I think your audience is really towards business, money etc. as your voice demands attention, demands understanding, respect and focus! Twitch is more of an Entertainment platform than anything serious. We have visited the first TwitchCon and it was magical, but the audience there needs to be entertained rather than keeping them focused and giving them facts. My kids watch only silly videos which require no attention, they are short, but plenty. Look at TikTok, this will give you a clue, but your niche looks like Documentaries, serious matters!
This is at least my two cents!

Best wishes,
Pete

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ_Huggles

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
900%
Jul 1, 2020
NJ
This guy is insane. Sets a goal for like 1000 subs smashes 200k. I just turned 21 and I am absolutely terrified of life and ashamed for not being anywhere yet but just looking at this post made me feel great and I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. I finished unscripted like yesterday and applied to fox's course today and I'm so scared yet optimistic right now.

I'm so happy for you tho James, really you deserve all the success in the world. Likable guy and good content. Your video on gurus was my favorite one and the Tyler1 vid looks super hype. I think you're gonna make millions one day and people will be willing to pay you for brand knowledge and such.

Edit: the tyler1 vid is the best vid I've seen on youtube hands down. One of the most captivating docs I've ever seen and easily the best video on branding ever made.

Last edited:

humananalytics

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 7, 2020
USA
I think the big takeaway for me, and anyone else following this thread, is the level of effort you put in to create your videos.

Youtube is a crowded, competitive, and somewhat established marketplace. To cut through the noise, you need to be deliberate on what you put out AND put in levels of effort that others are not willing to.

Regardless if your Tyler1 video succeeds as much as you might want, 45 minutes long, 24 page script is insane, especially with your editing quality. Much respect!

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Congrats on the newest video and earnings!!!

When I read your June paycheck, I was thinking: Yea. I'm so ready to just ditch medicine & start a YouTube channel.

Lol. Joking.
Sort of.

Last edited:

Jiersk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 3, 2020
Netherlands
Hey @Valier

I just read through the entire thread and feel like I have been struck by a lightning bolt of inspiration worth 10000 volts of motivation.

Congratulations, it's super impressive what you have accomplished! The growth is insane, and I can only imagine the feelings you experience. Please tell me, do you wake up and feel differently now than you did before your youtube took off?

I was on the fence with regards to starting a youtube for my own new project, but your thread and process have convinced me. Genuine thanks for sharing your journey and inspiring me.

Wish you the best!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
45 minutes long

I haven't watched it because I view the material as different from just some standard video.

It's not something I watch on my phone or sit at my desk to watch, it's more like I Airplay it to my Big screen, sit on the couch, and grab a bag of popcorn...

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Just a quick update for you all:

Tyler1 officially reacted to the video on his stream!

There's a video of his reaction on YouTube, but he enjoyed it thoroughly. In fact, I don't recall seeing him enjoy any other video about him more so than that one, which was incredible to see. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

That also gave us a spike in viewers for the video, so we'll see if it's enough to get the algorithm to start pushing it to the right audience.

Either way, I've been doing more research and have got big takeaways for the future content of the channel. Namely, the importance of the subject/topic covered in the video.

Right now, I have the quality of the content sorted - as long as it's a topic that I'm somewhat interested in, and has some good "meat & bones" to it, then I can whisk up a great doc on it - the only thing that will cement that into a highly viewed piece of content now is the subject itself.

Whilst I'm still going to be improving the quality of my videos with each upload, I'm also going to be taking a very big analytical role with studying what subjects to cover next.

There are a few ways I'm going to be gathering more data points that'll help me decide what sort of content to explore next, but more on this to come!

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Hey @Valier

I just read through the entire thread and feel like I have been struck by a lightning bolt of inspiration worth 10000 volts of motivation.

Congratulations, it's super impressive what you have accomplished! The growth is insane, and I can only imagine the feelings you experience. Please tell me, do you wake up and feel differently now than you did before your youtube took off?

I was on the fence with regards to starting a youtube for my own new project, but your thread and process have convinced me. Genuine thanks for sharing your journey and inspiring me.

Wish you the best!

Ahhh, I'm so glad you found inspiration from this thread my friend, that's really amazing to hear :)

In terms of waking up differently? It's a weird one.

For the most part, all my surroundings are the same. Same room, same bed, same parents, etc etc. But then all it takes is one thought to remind me that there are over 250k people who have watched my content and thought it was worth subscribing to. And that I'm making a 6-figure salary at the age of 20, and that I may be on track to achieving every goal that I've set out to accomplish, and then my heart skips a beat and I enter "surreal" mode and things feel so incredible and strange at the same time.

One thing's for sure though: I'm always pumped to wake up, and I'm incredibly excited for the future and wherever this journey takes me!

Hope that answers your question

This guy is insane. Sets a goal for like 1000 subs smashes 200k. I just turned 21 and I am absolutely terrified of life and ashamed for not being anywhere yet but just looking at this post made me feel great and I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. I finished unscripted like yesterday and applied to fox's course today and I'm so scared yet optimistic right now.

I'm so happy for you tho James, really you deserve all the success in the world. Likable guy and good content. Your video on gurus was my favorite one and the Tyler1 vid looks super hype. I think you're gonna make millions one day and people will be willing to pay you for brand knowledge and such.

Edit: the tyler1 vid is the best vid I've seen on youtube hands down. One of the most captivating docs I've ever seen and easily the best video on branding ever made.

Hey man, thank you so much for the high praise - glad the post could give you a little extra push and motivation - also wish you the best on your own journey!

Hi James @Valier ,

I watched the premier and well done for the effort! Your skills have improved a lot!
I got two boys, 12 and 14 both play games (Fortinte, Valorant, CSGO etc)(I join them some times playing Valorant) and they are constantly on twitch as well as streaming. I think your audience is really towards business, money etc. as your voice demands attention, demands understanding, respect and focus! Twitch is more of an Entertainment platform than anything serious. We have visited the first TwitchCon and it was magical, but the audience there needs to be entertained rather than keeping them focused and giving them facts. My kids watch only silly videos which require no attention, they are short, but plenty. Look at TikTok, this will give you a clue, but your niche looks like Documentaries, serious matters!
This is at least my two cents!

Best wishes,
Pete

Completely agree, Pete - learnt my lesson here!

Jiersk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 3, 2020
Netherlands
Hope that answers your question

Hey thanks for the quick and detailed response! Yes, you certainly answered my question, hit the nail right on the head.

I'm glad to you appear to be feeling good man, at least that's how I interpret your answer lol.

Enjoy burning rubber on the Fastlane!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Had the chance Monday to interview James (@Valier )

Was a really cool talk - he had a ton of great advice on his approach, mindset, and Fastlane principles.

Thanks again James for this!

@MJ DeMarco I think you will really enjoy this - the forums and the books got mentioned quite a few times.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Was a really cool talk - he had a ton of great advice on his approach, mindset, and Fastlane principles.

@MJ DeMarco I think you will really enjoy this - the forums and the books got mentioned quite a few times.
So cool watching forum members interview other forum members. @Vigilante @Kak @Kyle T

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London

Ahaha, also note the clever way @Fox titled the video here - makes it sound so much more exclusive and special!

Euok

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 17, 2020
Indianapolis
Let's get this started with a basic introduction.

Hi, I'm James. 19 y/o from the UK, chose not to go university since there wasn't any subject I wanted to study that would suit my direction in life. The big goal is to be semi-retired by 30, but that's okay if I don't get there, I'm focusing on the process and journey above all else.

I recently started up my new business which if you are a FLF INSIDERS, you can find my thread here:

So then, what's this about a personal brand & a YouTube channel?
I came to a realisation that I wish I had come to a few years back: a personal brand is an incredibly powerful thing. Especially in business, and especially if you are trying to go fastlane.

With just 100 loyal fans you can do so much to promote your other side hustles, and/or monetise that audience.

This realisation drove me to conclude that I wanted to start building up my own personal brand - right now, with no hesitation, and do my absolute best to get this thing up and running because let's all be clear here: the odds are not in my favour. There are so many channels out there, that it's damn near impossible to be seen amongst the crowd...
or is it?

A Guide as well as Documentation

The purpose of this thread is to not only document my process and journey, but also provide a guide for what is working/isn't working and how you can learn from whatever mistakes I make.

Provide value above all else, as always.

Keeping it Honest and Real
Like in my INSIDERS thread, I want to be entirely transparent with everyone and keep it as real & as honest as I can.

If one day I decide to just quit the whole thing I will document it on here. I'm in this till I either succeed, pivot, or quit, and you'll have a clear picture on where this process will take me, and where I may have gone wrong/gone right.

What's Been Done So Far...
I already have my channel up and running, and as a matter of fact, you can check out my first video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg6CGNoynDI

How the First Video Went.
Keeping up with the theme of transparency: I was very nervous when recording and releasing this video.

I've done a lot of acting throughout my childhood - teenage years, and making this video was more nerve wrecking to me than any audition that I've done in the past. But this is the first barrier that people will face if you're trying to make it on this platform: THE FEAR OF POSTING YOUR FIRST VIDEO.

Once I posted that video, I felt a slight sense of relief. I sent a few messages out to some close friends who I had told I was starting this channel up, and they went on to watch it. And a few of them shared the video on their Instagram stories.

Let me be clear here: I was too nervous to post this video on my social media. That's why I just DM'd some friends, in the hopes that I can land maybe 80 views on the video to get me started off.

But once some of these friends posted it to their story something amazing happened: other people started sharing it on their story. Some of these people were friends, but there were also some that I hadn't spoken to or seen in a while that shared it. I even had some really kind messages about how they found the video really helpful and well done.

I really didn't think it was a great video at first. I thought it was bad, and kinda boring because the nerves really stopped me from bringing the energy to the screen that I usually could do with acting. My only intention was to post the first video no matter how nervous I felt about it.

After I felt that positive feedback, I finally made the leap and posted it to my own socials. In total the video sits at around 260 views, 32 likes, and 8 comments. I was more than impressed by that as a debut video - I genuinely didn't think it would surpass 100. I earned about 35 subscribers in total from that video, and a few new followers on my Instagram.

The Goals.
My goal isn't really to be 'internet famous' or anything like that. It's simply to get a personal brand started up, have my name put out there, share some genuine advice from someone who is passionate about entrepreneurship, and self development (no 'woo-woo' selling my $1500+ course shit), and see where it goes.

If you're looking for some specific targeted goals, here's my main objective for the year:
Reach 1,000 subscribers by 2021.

That's all. For now. The reason why I say this is that the subscriber count is really just a vanity metric. I'm more interested in improving things like watch time, and Click-Through-Rate (CTR) - y'know, the metrics that actually count. But until I have some data from my own videos to work off, I can't set those targets as of right now.

My aim is to post once a week. Although it may be once every two weeks every so often. Truth is, I'm balancing three things here: the channel is one thing, the full time job is another, and my other side hustle which I've been working super hard on is the third. Ideally, the latter two are working hand-in-hand, but that doesn't deviate from the fact that my full time job as an estate agent has some ungodly hours that can really eat into free time.

But again, all will be documented here.

Conclusion
That's about it for now.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me them.

And most importantly: ALL feedback is appreciated, the good, the bad, the ugly. All of it.

Have a wonderful weekend folks

James i just want to thank you because if it wasn't for you or your youtube channel i would've have never began to read UNSCRIPTED , I recently just turned 20 , said scree college been working on and off while trying to find my shtick. so keep doing what you're doing and im glad im on this forum with the likes of you and others to bounce ideas off share with and be pushed by.

Last edited:

WestCoastMax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 13, 2020
Earth
Wow! Didn't notice this thread until now. It's so crazy to see one of our members blowing up.
Keep up the good work James!

One question though. Do you have other plans other than YouTube?

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Wow! Didn't notice this thread until now. It's so crazy to see one of our members blowing up.
Keep up the good work James!

One question though. Do you have other plans other than YouTube?

At the moment my primary focus is on the YouTube channel - whilst I have a lot of plans on how to expand out, I'm making sure that I focus on one thing at a time!

jlundho

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 9, 2020
Sweden
Saw you recommend Unscripted /Millionaire Fastlane in your videos and started reading them shortly after, but wasn't expecting to find you here in the forums. Congrats on the results of your hard work and I'm glad people are enjoying it :)

As a YouTube crackie that's trying to wane myself off the addictive side of the platform and stick to what's providing actual value in my life this thread is gold. Being able to recognize the red flags (thumbnails, titles, video length) that will make me click on some video and being able to question those before I watch something has been really helpful.

Good luck!

Robinball

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 9, 2020
Ireland

Hi, I'm James. 19 y/o from the UK, chose not to go university since there wasn't any subject I wanted to study that would suit my direction in life. The big goal is to be semi-retired by 30, but that's okay if I don't get there, I'm focusing on the process and journey above all else.

I recently started up my new business which if you are a FLF INSIDERS, you can find my thread here:

I came to a realisation that I wish I had come to a few years back: a personal brand is an incredibly powerful thing. Especially in business, and especially if you are trying to go fastlane.

With just 100 loyal fans you can do so much to promote your other side hustles, and/or monetise that audience.

This realisation drove me to conclude that I wanted to start building up my own personal brand - right now, with no hesitation, and do my absolute best to get this thing up and running because let's all be clear here: the odds are not in my favour. There are so many channels out there, that it's damn near impossible to be seen amongst the crowd...
or is it?

The purpose of this thread is to not only document my process and journey, but also provide a guide for what is working/isn't working and how you can learn from whatever mistakes I make.

Like in my INSIDERS thread, I want to be entirely transparent with everyone and keep it as real & as honest as I can.

If one day I decide to just quit the whole thing I will document it on here. I'm in this till I either succeed, pivot, or quit, and you'll have a clear picture on where this process will take me, and where I may have gone wrong/gone right.

I already have my channel up and running, and as a matter of fact, you can check out my first video here:

Keeping up with the theme of transparency: I was very nervous when recording and releasing this video.

I've done a lot of acting throughout my childhood - teenage years, and making this video was more nerve wrecking to me than any audition that I've done in the past. But this is the first barrier that people will face if you're trying to make it on this platform: THE FEAR OF POSTING YOUR FIRST VIDEO.

Once I posted that video, I felt a slight sense of relief. I sent a few messages out to some close friends who I had told I was starting this channel up, and they went on to watch it. And a few of them shared the video on their Instagram stories.

Let me be clear here: I was too nervous to post this video on my social media. That's why I just DM'd some friends, in the hopes that I can land maybe 80 views on the video to get me started off.

But once some of these friends posted it to their story something amazing happened: other people started sharing it on their story. Some of these people were friends, but there were also some that I hadn't spoken to or seen in a while that shared it. I even had some really kind messages about how they found the video really helpful and well done.

I really didn't think it was a great video at first. I thought it was bad, and kinda boring because the nerves really stopped me from bringing the energy to the screen that I usually could do with acting. My only intention was to post the first video no matter how nervous I felt about it.

After I felt that positive feedback, I finally made the leap and posted it to my own socials. In total the video sits at around 260 views, 32 likes, and 8 comments. I was more than impressed by that as a debut video - I genuinely didn't think it would surpass 100. I earned about 35 subscribers in total from that video, and a few new followers on my Instagram.

The Goals.
My goal isn't really to be 'internet famous' or anything like that. It's simply to get a personal brand started up, have my name put out there, share some genuine advice from someone who is passionate about entrepreneurship, and self development (no 'woo-woo' selling my $1500+ course shit), and see where it goes.

If you're looking for some specific targeted goals, here's my main objective for the year:

That's all. For now. The reason why I say this is that the subscriber count is really just a vanity metric. I'm more interested in improving things like watch time, and Click-Through-Rate (CTR) - y'know, the metrics that actually count. But until I have some data from my own videos to work off, I can't set those targets as of right now.

My aim is to post once a week. Although it may be once every two weeks every so often. Truth is, I'm balancing three things here: the channel is one thing, the full time job is another, and my other side hustle which I've been working super hard on is the third. Ideally, the latter two are working hand-in-hand, but that doesn't deviate from the fact that my full time job as an estate agent has some ungodly hours that can really eat into free time.

Conclusion
That's about it for now.

And most importantly: ALL feedback is appreciated, the good, the bad, the ugly. All of it.

I have watched your videos. You're an impressive communicator with solid points. I think you have a bright future ahead.

D

Deleted72597

Good job on your Youtube project!
Really interesting to read about your progress, and I'm learning valuable stuff about YT content creation.
Thanks!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Valier - It is clear in this thread your approach is working and is how growing channels need to be thinking... if you already had a channel with a weekly/daily content approach how do you think you might switch over to this approach?

- Take a break and then relaunch?
- Just start rolling out the new approach and see how it goes?
- New channel or unlist past videos?

I am very tempted to dramatically switch how I have been making/releasing content and wanted to see what your thoughts might be. Thanks.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Hey @Valier - It is clear in this thread your approach is working and is how growing channels need to be thinking... if you already had a channel with a weekly/daily content approach how do you think you might switch over to this approach?

- Take a break and then relaunch?
- Just start rolling out the new approach and see how it goes?
- New channel or unlist past videos?

I am very tempted to dramatically switch how I have been making/releasing content and wanted to see what your thoughts might be. Thanks.

I guess there's no best answer to this question, but I wouldn't unlist past videos for now (maybe after you've built up more of a catalogue of your newer content).

If I was in your position I would probably just start rolling out the new approach and see how your audience reacts to it!

With that being said, a channel with weekly/daily uploads isn't necessarily a bad thing - it's just a matter of the content being engaging and worth watching that normally means more time spent between uploads.

Mr Cracker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 24, 2012
Mexico
lolololol, I was just reading this thread again from the very beginning and this caught my eye:

If we look at @Valier 's current status we can see:

Overkill!!!

Also, worth noting, this didn't happen in a week, he didn't post his first video and gave up after 2 weeks. This was a ~ 6 month "overnight" success.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Update 11. Momentum.

Currently writing this whilst on a mini-vacation, but I had the latest video drop yesterday which I'd been working like crazy to get finished. Happy to finally have it up:

View: https://youtu.be/He1bgJ0sqtw

In this update I wanted to talk about a few more things that I've learnt are of huge importance from what I've observed on both my channel and others...

Momentum.

YouTube seems to be a rollercoaster when it comes to growth for the most part. There are moments of insane growth, and moments of stagnated growth.

I remember watching this video when starting my channel, and everything he talks about still holds true having now grown my channel so much over the last few months.

When three of my videos started getting pushed by the algorithm, we had hit an incredible momentum whereby the channel went from 200 or so subscribers, to 250k+.

These "momentums" usually hit when a video is pushed by the algorithm, and in order to keep the momentum going you must continue to release videos that do incredibly well.

It can be tough to keep the momentum going for prolonged periods of time, but if you have a great understanding of what works with your audience and what would work with the YouTube algorithm you can ride the wave of that momentum out for potentially years.

Mr Beast is a YouTube channel that has been riding a momentum for years, with videos that never seem to drop below 10M views, and this has benefited him greatly as one of the fastest growing channels on the platform.

With that being said, when you break the momentum by releasing a video that doesn't perform as well - your momentum breaks, and you have to rebuild it by once more creating a video(s) that do well in comparison with other videos.

Breaking My Momentum
I've been riding out a momentum over the last few months thanks to those 3 videos being pushed simultaneously by YouTube's algorithm, although this momentum was recently "broken" with the release of my Tyler1 video which didn't perform nearly as well as the other videos.

This is of course a small set back, and I'm not too annoyed or disappointed by this fact. On the contrary, it's given me a lot to learn about with regards to the importance of picking the right subject and content for your channel.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Tyler1 video was far too different, and unlike any of the other videos that I had already built an audience around (first mistake). It was also a very niche topic, without as much interest around the subject as my other videos (second mistake). I had also foolishly assumed that it would bring in a new audience to the channel, but didn't consider that that audience would most likely not be interested in the majority of the content on my channel (third mistake). The video also took me 3 months to upload, meaning the momentum I had built had nothing more to go on except the 3 videos that were already being pushed.

Combined, these mistakes caused a break in momentum for the channel.

Rebuilding Momentum
With that being said, it's time to rebuild that momentum once more.

To do that, we need content that we can expect will do well with the algorithm.

I trust in my ability to create good content on a subject (arguably the hardest part), the important thing now is picking the right subject and advertising it (through the thumbnail and title) in a way that allows for a really good click-through-rate.

I've run a survey out to my subscribers through a community post last month, as well as taken a look at the data from past videos, and from what I gathered, people really like content that's either about money, or some form of "exposing the truth" (i.e Toxic World of Self Help, Rise of Fake Gurus, etc).

It's these topics that my future videos will be centred around for now, but it goes without saying that I want to make sure any videos I make (especially ones about money) are providing actual value and not just fluffy advice or temporary motivation (this is really important!!).

The New Video.
This recent MLM video is a step back to the content that I believe does well on my channel.

It's also a video I've been wanting to make for a long while now, and it's been requested by many.

I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on how this video does (CTR-wise), and if I see that it's not performing as well as I expect it to, I will make changes to the thumbnail and the title to try and improve things.

Because of the way the algorithm works, I can't know for sure until we give it perhaps a week to determine how well this video has done (even then, sometimes the algorithm can take longer to pick up a video), but the CTR and watch time should give me a good indication of whether it's going to be picked up by the algorithm.

As a subject, I think MLM's were a great choice - a controversial subject, with a lot of talk around them. Now let's see how well the title and thumbnail do!

Arthur Charles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Feb 24, 2018
Nevers, ♥ de France
Great content really. I'm amazed how few haters you get in the comments, that's incredible especially with the topics of your videos. Or is it yet another YouTube algorithm only showing the better comments?

What's on your mind for your next video? Have you thought about crypto?

Even though you mention several times that you were "lucky" the algorithm pushed several of your videos, considering the amount of work you put into each of your videos and your level of talent, this is all well deserved! Keep up the momentum going mate.

Last edited:

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Great content really. I'm amazed how few haters you get in the comments, that's incredible especially with the topics of your videos. Or is it yet another YouTube algorithm only showing the better comments?

Ahaha, well I guess it depends on if you sort the comments by "top" or "newest first".

For the most part, my audience are extremely kind to me, but there are definitely some "hate" comments here and there.

Which is to be expected when a 20-year-old is trying to teach you about money, or calling the self-help industry "toxic" ahahah. Unless it's legitimate criticism about the content itself, I don't give it much attention!

What's on your mind for your next video? Have you thought about crypto?

It's definitely going to be money-related, but I'm still sorting through a few ideas and hashing out what aspect of money/economics I want this video to cover!

I definitely want to do a crypto-related video in the future.

I've been wanting to do a documentary on one of the cryptocurrency ponzi schemes that have appeared in recent years (BitConnect, Onecoin, etc) and how they utilised influencers to generate hype that ultimately led thousands to lose large amounts of money.

I figured I could also cover a little on what cryptocurrency is and how it came to be in that video!

Even though you mention several times that you were "lucky" the algorithm pushed several of your videos, considering the amount of work you put into each of your videos and your level of talent, this is all well deserved! Keep up the momentum going mate.

Ahaha, I really appreciate that man!

I knew that I had some good content under my belt, but I was lucky in the sense that I had three videos that were timed and executed well-enough to blow up like they did.

I think if I continued it would have happened at some point, it was just the speed at which it happened that was really lucky.

Theunscripted

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
Jun 11, 2020
Chandigarh
Update 11. Momentum.

Currently writing this whilst on a mini-vacation, but I had the latest video drop yesterday which I'd been working like crazy to get finished. Happy to finally have it up:

View: https://youtu.be/He1bgJ0sqtw

In this update I wanted to talk about a few more things that I've learnt are of huge importance from what I've observed on both my channel and others...

Momentum.

YouTube seems to be a rollercoaster when it comes to growth for the most part. There are moments of insane growth, and moments of stagnated growth.

I remember watching this video when starting my channel, and everything he talks about still holds true having now grown my channel so much over the last few months.

When three of my videos started getting pushed by the algorithm, we had hit an incredible momentum whereby the channel went from 200 or so subscribers, to 250k+.

These "momentums" usually hit when a video is pushed by the algorithm, and in order to keep the momentum going you must continue to release videos that do incredibly well.

It can be tough to keep the momentum going for prolonged periods of time, but if you have a great understanding of what works with your audience and what would work with the YouTube algorithm you can ride the wave of that momentum out for potentially years.

Mr Beast is a YouTube channel that has been riding a momentum for years, with videos that never seem to drop below 10M views, and this has benefited him greatly as one of the fastest growing channels on the platform.

With that being said, when you break the momentum by releasing a video that doesn't perform as well - your momentum breaks, and you have to rebuild it by once more creating a video(s) that do well in comparison with other videos.

Breaking My Momentum
I've been riding out a momentum over the last few months thanks to those 3 videos being pushed simultaneously by YouTube's algorithm, although this momentum was recently "broken" with the release of my Tyler1 video which didn't perform nearly as well as the other videos.

This is of course a small set back, and I'm not too annoyed or disappointed by this fact. On the contrary, it's given me a lot to learn about with regards to the importance of picking the right subject and content for your channel.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Tyler1 video was far too different, and unlike any of the other videos that I had already built an audience around (first mistake). It was also a very niche topic, without as much interest around the subject as my other videos (second mistake). I had also foolishly assumed that it would bring in a new audience to the channel, but didn't consider that that audience would most likely not be interested in the majority of the content on my channel (third mistake). The video also took me 3 months to upload, meaning the momentum I had built had nothing more to go on except the 3 videos that were already being pushed.

Combined, these mistakes caused a break in momentum for the channel.

Rebuilding Momentum
With that being said, it's time to rebuild that momentum once more.

To do that, we need content that we can expect will do well with the algorithm.

I trust in my ability to create good content on a subject (arguably the hardest part), the important thing now is picking the right subject and advertising it (through the thumbnail and title) in a way that allows for a really good click-through-rate.

I've run a survey out to my subscribers through a community post last month, as well as taken a look at the data from past videos, and from what I gathered, people really like content that's either about money, or some form of "exposing the truth" (i.e Toxic World of Self Help, Rise of Fake Gurus, etc).

It's these topics that my future videos will be centred around for now, but it goes without saying that I want to make sure any videos I make (especially ones about money) are providing actual value and not just fluffy advice or temporary motivation (this is really important!!).

The New Video.
This recent MLM video is a step back to the content that I believe does well on my channel.

It's also a video I've been wanting to make for a long while now, and it's been requested by many.

I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on how this video does (CTR-wise), and if I see that it's not performing as well as I expect it to, I will make changes to the thumbnail and the title to try and improve things.

Because of the way the algorithm works, I can't know for sure until we give it perhaps a week to determine how well this video has done (even then, sometimes the algorithm can take longer to pick up a video), but the CTR and watch time should give me a good indication of whether it's going to be picked up by the algorithm.

As a subject, I think MLM's were a great choice - a controversial subject, with a lot of talk around them. Now let's see how well the title and thumbnail do!
Great work ! I've been a sub since past few months and one of the few channels I've hit the "bell" icon . My friend and I were raving about the content,didnt know you were in the forum lol . Your self-help video caught my attention . Again , many congratulations.

Social proof below ... thought this might cheer you up!

Last edited:

danyk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Jul 29, 2020
Colorado Springs

or is it?

The Goals.

Conclusion
That's about it for now.

I was wondering when I would see one of your posts on here. I watched a video of yours on youtube and wondered to your website. I found MJ DeMarco's books from there and read them in a couple of weeks. Thank you ETERNALLY for pursuing your dreams and showing others the possibilities of living an unscripted life. Will definitely be following! All the best and God bless. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.