The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Using Ego To Achieve More

Anything related to matters of the mind

Gintas

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Jun 16, 2020
Bt716bz
I've been a self development freak for nearly 2 years now and I would like to share an insight on how I can make myself do hard things like: eating healthy, exercising, meditating, writing, etc. Hopefully it will come to be useful for some of you too.

First of all, these things might not be hard to do for everybody for instance, I came to love some of my older habits that I really wanted to integrate in my life, like writing or eating healthy. On the other side something like daily exercise, I still have to push myself because it hasn't become a solid habit yet.

Time and again I saw my friends who started building habits from a depleting resource, which is motivation. After many failed attempts at changing my bad habits I developed this sort of a mistrust towards motivation because I would have a lot of it at the start, but when the going would eventually go hard, it would just slowly fade away and I would go back to my old ways of doing things.

From my own experiences and from my friends failings, I've learned that motivation is just not a good driving force because it doesn't last. I read quite a few books on building stronger habits and I have seen variations of the way that I'm using ego to stick with my habits, but not exactly the same thing.

I don't know if this is going to work for everybody because I haven't really shared it with many people, but those people that heard my ideas were really interested in it.

No matter how hard we're trying to hide it, inside all of us have selfish needs, we mostly care about ourselves. We all know that this sort of a behaviour out in the world wouldn't lead you far. But this innate want to be selfish and do things solely for yourself can be a powerful driving force.

My whole idea is to use different fuel for sticking with your habits, which on my experience is way more reliable and long-term than motivation or other driving forces.

Basically, what I do when doing something that I don't want to be involved in the process of, but I know that would be beneficial for my future is. I use my innate need for uniqueness and the want to be better than other people. Before you make any conclusions don't worry this won't affect your character in any way or make you a self centered prick.

Let's say when I'm running and I get to that point where I want to stop, I have a self talk in my head that goes along the lines of "think about how many people would have given up by this point, keep pushing forward." I know this might sound very simple, but this little mind trick has helped me by so much.

For extra weight you can make this whole thing personal, think about your friends or someone that is close to you, that will give you even more energy to keep going forward. You can use this technique pretty much everywhere and it has helped me by so much in building strong and lasting habits.

Instead of sinking down to the level of the people who are not achieving much, use their lack of commitment to fuel your own journey towards excellence.

At first this whole technique seemed a little immoral because it drives you to be better than everybody else. Which would make it a little counterproductive for me because I always seek to level with people and not to look down on anybody even if I feel better than someone I'm interacting with. The best part of this is that this feeling is cultivated on the inside and doesn't have to leave the security of your own head. While looking at ego this way you sort of embrace it and unleash it's full potential.

Ego is one of the strongest motivating forces out there if used correctly. Many people see only the bad side of ego and fail to acknowledge the good side of ego, which drives you to achieve more than anyone ever thought you could.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I've been a self development freak for nearly 2 years now and I would like to share an insight on how I can make myself do hard things like: eating healthy, exercising, meditating, writing, etc. Hopefully it will come to be useful for some of you too.

First of all, these things might not be hard to do for everybody for instance, I came to love some of my older habits that I really wanted to integrate in my life, like writing or eating healthy. On the other side something like daily exercise, I still have to push myself because it hasn't become a solid habit yet.

Time and again I saw my friends who started building habits from a depleting resource, which is motivation. After many failed attempts at changing my bad habits I developed this sort of a mistrust towards motivation because I would have a lot of it at the start, but when the going would eventually go hard, it would just slowly fade away and I would go back to my old ways of doing things.

From my own experiences and from my friends failings, I've learned that motivation is just not a good driving force because it doesn't last. I read quite a few books on building stronger habits and I have seen variations of the way that I'm using ego to stick with my habits, but not exactly the same thing.

I don't know if this is going to work for everybody because I haven't really shared it with many people, but those people that heard my ideas were really interested in it.

No matter how hard we're trying to hide it, inside all of us have selfish needs, we mostly care about ourselves. We all know that this sort of a behaviour out in the world wouldn't lead you far. But this innate want to be selfish and do things solely for yourself can be a powerful driving force.

My whole idea is to use different fuel for sticking with your habits, which on my experience is way more reliable and long-term than motivation or other driving forces.

Basically, what I do when doing something that I don't want to be involved in the process of, but I know that would be beneficial for my future is. I use my innate need for uniqueness and the want to be better than other people. Before you make any conclusions don't worry this won't affect your character in any way or make you a self centered prick.

Let's say when I'm running and I get to that point where I want to stop, I have a self talk in my head that goes along the lines of "think about how many people would have given up by this point, keep pushing forward." I know this might sound very simple, but this little mind trick has helped me by so much.

For extra weight you can make this whole thing personal, think about your friends or someone that is close to you, that will give you even more energy to keep going forward. You can use this technique pretty much everywhere and it has helped me by so much in building strong and lasting habits.

Instead of sinking down to the level of the people who are not achieving much, use their lack of commitment to fuel your own journey towards excellence.

At first this whole technique seemed a little immoral because it drives you to be better than everybody else. Which would make it a little counterproductive for me because I always seek to level with people and not to look down on anybody even if I feel better than someone I'm interacting with. The best part of this is that this feeling is cultivated on the inside and doesn't have to leave the security of your own head. While looking at ego this way you sort of embrace it and unleash it's full potential.

Ego is one of the strongest motivating forces out there if used correctly. Many people see only the bad side of ego and fail to acknowledge the good side of ego, which drives you to achieve more than anyone ever thought you could.

@Kung Fu Steve seems like something you might be interested in taking a stab at

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

I agree. But I think this is not something new.

Success is just not a strong enough motivating force for pushing through hard moments.

Things that work.
-Ego
-Fear of Punishment
-Higher Purpose

The military has been using it for thousands of years to “brainwash” the soldiers.

Gintas

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Jun 16, 2020
Bt716bz
I agree. But I think this is not something new.

Success is just not a strong enough motivating force for pushing through hard moments.

Things that work.
-Ego
-Fear of Punishment
-Higher Purpose

The military has been using it for thousands of years to “brainwash” the soldiers.
I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel and I'm a 100% sure that this idea isn't anything new. I'm just sharing my own perspective and I myself found out about this only recently and ego has been an amazing tool in my personal life.

I think there are more people like me who haven't heard of this method which could help them as it did for me.

I just want to share ideas that might be useful to people, but if I would only post things that nobody has ever thought of or implied anywhere before, I doubt I would make any posts.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and sharing your opinion.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Would this be the same as when trying to quit smoking
one looks at who smokes:
predominantly lower socio-economic groups

who doesn't smoke:
higher educated, so called smart people

Then when one has the urge, they use the fear of being one of the former & not one of the latter?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I'm a little bit of a nutjob, although the thought of competing with someone else is fairly motivating.

If you break business down, its a group of people in a niche i.e soft drinks, you have Coke vs Pepsi, cars, Lamborghini vs Ferrari, computers, HP vs Dell, phones, Apple vs Samsung.

Now I don't know if you have a business already, or are just starting one, but next time you are sleeping in that warm comfortable bed, try to think about the fact of someone else in the world is working, looking to get into your market space, and steal away your customers!

It really is a competition between dozens, hundreds, or thousands of different people all around the globe (or maybe just your local area)

Who is most skilled in marketing? Sales? Distribution? Hiring & Managing people? Customer Service? Who has the best website?

Different people have different results, you see it everywhere in the world of business, why is it that Nike can sell $300 shoes sourced in China that cost less than $10 bucks to produce (just guessing) While another company struggles to get sales?

Why is it my last business lost money while another competitor of mine grossed 6 figures?

Maybe it's just a toxic male mentality thing, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I say yes, use the ego & crush your competition. Business is a dog eat dog world, if you have some new type of product there is a 100% chance someone is looking and watching, it's fairly common on Amazon, see a new product come out & dozens of other ''brands'' come out and sell the same thing.

4443d3b92ad52589dbde66fa3e14c1f3.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.