The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is your day job supposed to have a purpose?

Anything related to matters of the mind

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
For the last 2 years I've almost felt some sense of depression working at my regular day job, I'm currently working 2 jobs but before I was working 2 jobs I thought to myself because the job itself is a dead end place "what's the point anymore?" it just lost purpose for me to work hard, as a result my work ethic started slowly going down the drain because I didn't see the point in performing my best, my reasons usually were "why should i work hard then person X is doing nothing", or "why should i look stupid doing everything when they are getting away with it", it's also caused me to become more bitter. My work ethic has increased again and I've been doing pretty well, but I immediately lose motivation when I get micro managed (it's not just me it's everyone) and I think, "if this is the way its going to be then screw it what incentive do I have?".

Does anyone else experience this at work? It's a crappy feeling, I want to be my former self but as mentioned I've lost purpose. Before the issues I was fine, I'd work hard and it felt fine but come across different experiences and different people, I chose to change my attitude and it seems it's easier on me, but for the state of mind I feel worse. I guess one of my biggest challenges is that I feel that I will be used if I perform well.

Even if you were to look at me while im speaking i have a "i dont give a f" face. You will look at me like i dont care what you have to say but it's not true. I've just stopped caring in general. It has gotten to the point I'm no longer nervous in social situations or job interviews.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
For the last 2 years I've almost felt some sense of depression working at my regular day job, I'm currently working 2 jobs but before I was working 2 jobs I thought to myself because the job itself is a dead end place "what's the point anymore?" it just lost purpose for me to work hard, as a result my work ethic started slowly going down the drain because I didn't see the point in performing my best, my reasons usually were "why should i work hard then person X is doing nothing", or "why should i look stupid doing everything when they are getting away with it", it's also caused me to become more bitter. My work ethic has increased again and I've been doing pretty well, but I immediately lose motivation when I get micro managed (it's not just me it's everyone) and I think, "if this is the way its going to be then screw it what incentive do I have?".

Does anyone else experience this at work? It's a crappy feeling, I want to be my former self but as mentioned I've lost purpose. Before the issues I was fine, I'd work hard and it felt fine but come across different experiences and different people, I chose to change my attitude and it seems it's easier on me, but for the state of mind I feel worse. I guess one of my biggest challenges is that I feel that I will be used if I perform well.

Even if you were to look at me while im speaking i have a "i dont give a f" face. You will look at me like i dont care what you have to say but it's not true. I've just stopped caring in general. It has gotten to the point I'm no longer nervous in social situations or job interviews.

Yes, the sole and only purpose of a day job is to farm enough cash to fund your fastlane hustle.

In your day job, you should exert minimal effort to save the energy to do your own projects.

Last edited:
G

Guest1413tpa

Yes, the sole and only purpose of a day job is to farm enough cash to fund your fastlane hustle.

In your day job, you should exert minimal effort to save the energy to do your own projects.

This is a great summary.

My day job has also exposed areas where I can provide value outside of the job also :)

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Thats how all jobs are.
Its not that the work necessarily sucks, its that you lack autonomy.
Getting told what to do and when, and getting micromanaged, eventually creates resentment.

P.S.
I lack autonomy as well, because I`m still working a job.
Dont let it get you down.
Spend time and effort on your own business and the job wont suck as hard when it becomes a means to an end.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I call it MVW :D
Minimum Viable Work :D
Long time ago my GM told me some study he read:
"Employees do just enough work not to be fired & employers pay just enough for employees not to leave."

And when you guys start hiring, remember what you were like when you were an employee.

Good luck!

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

Exert minimal effort to do a stellar job. Check in with your boss regularly for feedback to make sure you're still knocking it out of the park at your current energy level, and read between the lines to see where you can dial back.

When you have a good job that also allows you to pursue your own ventures, your #1 priority is to keep it as long as possible, at maximum pay possible.

So don't just coast. That will surely get you fired and shake up the stability that you will need to build something on the side.

My 2¢

G

Guest1413tpa

I just had an AHA moment with my job.

Even though it is menial Salesforce/operations work I can get done in minutes, its actually teaching me a few things:
  • How not to run a business.
  • Gaps where efficiency can be implemented to grow the business without adding people.
  • Market research into my projects I am working on (seeing what training is requested), along with the ability to work on the material during idle times.
I also think other than the fact a job provides income, it exposes a range of unsolved issues also.

When you have a good job that also allows you to pursue your own ventures, your #1 priority is to keep it as long as possible, at maximum pay possible.

So don't just coast. That will surely get you fired and shake up the stability that you will need to build something on the side.

My 2¢

I'm one of the lucky few then. My boss has actually asked about and encouraged the things I am pursuing, its the lucky thing about working at a small startup.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I'm one of the lucky few then. My boss has actually asked about and encouraged the things I am pursuing, its the lucky thing about working at a small startup.

My bosses always knew when I was working on my businesses on the side. When they know, they will also be on the lookout to see if you're sacrificing your job with them for the side business.

That's another reason why I'm a huge fan of asking my bosses for constant feedback, at least 1x a month. If they are happy, I won't lose my job and jeopardize the business. If they aren't, it has the potential to set me back months or years.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Exert minimal effort to do a stellar job. Check in with your boss regularly for feedback to make sure you're still knocking it out of the park at your current energy level, and read between the lines to see where you can dial back.

My 2¢
LOL, I was going to put this in my original post, but I thought it might ruffle the guys feathers. But what the hey...

"In every job I've ever had I've always given my all, never coasted despite what coworkers do or bosses are like.
For me it's about self-respect & honesty because slacking is a form of theft IMO & I'm not a thief & when I look in the mirror I don't want to be ashamed of what I see.
I've had some terrible employers who I detested, albeit briefly because I believe complaint is futile so either do something to change the situation or get out.
Also I believe in what goes around comes around, or rather do unto others as you would have done to yourself."

G

Guest1413tpa

My bosses always knew when I was working on my businesses on the side. When they know, they will also be on the lookout to see if you're sacrificing your job with them for the side business.

That's another reason why I'm a huge fan of asking my bosses for constant feedback, at least 1x a month. If they are happy, I won't lose my job and jeopardize the business. If they aren't, it has the potential to set me back months or years.
Oh totally. You cannot just check out when you do this, you need to be avaliable (or on call as I say it) from 8-5 or what ever schedule you have for them. They come first, but during down time its different.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Looking back at it when i chose this job i was unhappy from day one. I came in with the "i dont care" attitude. I was pissed off at myself that i was in the job for the wrong reasons. I regretted leaving the job before i statyed 3 weeks prior which i applied with purpose. The short job before this one i sort of felt the same but my attitude was a bit better. Maybe i shouldnt expect to feel good during work? I know on my 2nd job even though i stopped caring i was still enjoying it because i liked the work and the people i was withm

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
I am currently working in an overpaid dayjob as an overqualified engineer. I work effectively 20 hours a week and get paid 1.5 times what a normal engineer earns.

It is a very unchallenging job though.

When I changed my city about 5 months ago, I was sure that I would either change to a better paid position or to Switzerland, where salaries are doubled.

I had a 3 hour interview yesterday with another company, where I would be application engineer and doing technical sales. Lots of travel, lots of exciting work. Quite good for my character. I also could get along very well with my interviewers.

But every second word was "resilience" (which is a cover for "we will make you work like a horse") and "dynamic company" (which is a cover for "chaos in company")

I requested about 1.5x my current salary from them, because my workload increases 2-3x. Got rejected but it was a very insightful experience.

Having slept over it, I see now that there is absolutely no point in changing my job. Even if they gave me that salary, I would get 1-1.5k€ more monthly, but they would block 3x time and energy, which would drain me out. And they did not.

I became very grateful for my job and its requirements. I have ample amounts of time to work on side projects and I still have time to spend with my loved ones.

The dullness is something I can accept now. I would rather be bored at my dayjob and work on a scalable income than excited but overworked and still working on a constant salary.

D

Deleted78083

I am about to graduate and get a job so that i can pay rent and food while building a fastlane business next to it. Well, provided i can find a job hahaha

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

Do you feel somewhat depressed during work or do you feel good being there? I've noticed, I'm unhappy with the progress in my personal life/entreprenurial journey, and that it's having a big effect on work.

jerryB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
May 25, 2018
I've worked for 5 companies and each time it gave me depression.
I've worked as an engineer, teacher..for me it's not really about job I'm doing - it's about being in control. When I work for somebody else I feel so powerless and out of control, I feel 'stuck' and I'm missing the purpose. Being self-employed/owning a business is the only solution for me.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Do you feel somewhat depressed during work or do you feel good being there? I've noticed, I'm unhappy with the progress in my personal life/entreprenurial journey, and that it's having a big effect on work.

I don't feel depressed in the sad sense, but I do feel pissed off at times.

When it comes to day jobs, I live by the following rule:

Get in, do your job, get out.

This means :

1) Minimum viable work as one poster above said. Do the bare minimum.

2) Do whatever it takes to avoid overtime.
If you've to work for 8 hrs straight at your desk just so that you won't need OT, do it.
OT is a big killer.

3) Keep as low profile as possible. I don't join office lunches, avoid all office parties, ignore all drama and politics. Know nothing, see nothing, hear nothing. Don't ask about anything unless it's work related. Strive to be that phantom employee. Your time and energy will thank you.

4) In meetings, even if you feel something can be done better, keep quiet. Don't speak. Let them sort it out themselves, just take orders and do. You only have one goal and that is to get out of the office door by 6 pm.

Also, this is common sense, but is it possible to setup things in such a way that you can do your fastlane hustle during office hours (without your coworkers or boss knowing)?
I find this bit very important because it gives you motivation throughout the day.

Do the little things during office hours, like looking for suppliers, finding packaging, going on social media to build up a base, read about content strategy, check out your competitors and take ideas from them......the little things. It helps a lot.

And occasionally, show your boss you're hardworking by sending in emails at 2am ;)

Can't advise about personal life though. If it's girl related, all I'll say is that with money comes girls.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
My current job I've had for 10 years. There's parts I like such as solving problems, creating solutions, the freedom to work from home and not pretend I'm working when there is nothing left to do. Parts I hate such as the completely useless spreadsheet that is supposed to help us fill out an online change control form with fewer errors, the change control pre-meeting Monday that is prep for the pre-change control meeting Tuesday which is to make sure nothing is amiss with change controls for the Change Review Board on Wednesday. ITIL is short for more red tape please.
I also have had a couple bully bosses (one who's raised his head just in the last few weeks. Luckily I'm not his current target) and one the best managers I've ever had.

Attitude is everything. That's one of those thing that do not make sense when you have a bad one. Choose to be great at your job, be the go to when things go awry, and first to complete things asked of you.

Another attitude I have is the employment is a learning time as I figure out what my real work is. My sweet spot so to speak. This is a recent revelation, but I'm running with it.

So when they 'accidentally' inform me they are looking south of the border for me to train so they can save money I smile and pray I can fire them before they find a person.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

This means :

If you've to work for 8 hrs straight at your desk just so that you won't need OT, do it.
OT is a big killer.

3) Keep as low profile as possible. I don't join office lunches, avoid all office parties, ignore all drama and politics. Know nothing, see nothing, hear nothing. Don't ask about anything unless it's work related. Strive to be that phantom employee. Your time and energy will thank you.

4) In meetings, even if you feel something can be done better, keep quiet. Don't speak. Let them sort it out themselves, just take orders and do. You only have one goal and that is to get out of the office door by 6 pm.

Also, this is common sense, but is it possible to setup things in such a way that you can do your fastlane hustle during office hours (without your coworkers or boss knowing)?
I find this bit very important because it gives you motivation throughout the day.

Do the little things during office hours, like looking for suppliers, finding packaging, going on social media to build up a base, read about content strategy, check out your competitors and take ideas from them......the little things. It helps a lot.

And occasionally, show your boss you're hardworking by sending in emails at 2am ;)

Can't advise about personal life though. If it's girl related, all I'll say is that with money comes girls.
Honestly that's what I been doing for the last 2 years. Not to save energy, I always felt tired after work anyways and was ready to crash. I think it's a combination of waking up too early, not wanting to go to work and doing boring a$$ work all day.

This means :

OT is a big killer.

to be honest for the last 2 years I have been doing that not to save energy but just because i dont care about the work im doing i feel tired as after work and even during work either way. i think its a combination of waking up too early, not wanting to go to work, and just bored throughout the entire day.

I wanted to do a job that was more entreprenurial based and i did and it was exactly what i was looking for, and while the work was a bit boring i was fine with it because its what i was after but i still felt somewhat depressed. Just the same attitude, i can't figure out why though. I'm worried I will get another job with the same attitude and the cycle will repeat.

with point 3) i do socialise with a bunch of people just to entertain them and myself it helps me pass the day and i like to be laughing as much as possible lol.

The point about doing work without my boss knowing, not to possible but i can do work during lunch breaks if i bring a laptop and tea break but there isn't that much time, an hour all up.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
My current job I've had for 10 years. There's parts I like such as solving problems, creating solutions, the freedom to work from home and not pretend I'm working when there is nothing left to do. Parts I hate such as the completely useless spreadsheet that is supposed to help us fill out an online change control form with fewer errors, the change control pre-meeting Monday that is prep for the pre-change control meeting Tuesday which is to make sure nothing is amiss with change controls for the Change Review Board on Wednesday. ITIL is short for more red tape please.
I also have had a couple bully bosses (one who's raised his head just in the last few weeks. Luckily I'm not his current target) and one the best managers I've ever had.

Attitude is everything. That's one of those thing that do not make sense when you have a bad one. Choose to be great at your job, be the go to when things go awry, and first to complete things asked of you.

Another attitude I have is the employment is a learning time as I figure out what my real work is. My sweet spot so to speak. This is a recent revelation, but I'm running with it.

So when they 'accidentally' inform me they are looking south of the border for me to train so they can save money I smile and pray I can fire them before they find a person.
That's what I think it is, it's about the attitude. This is all so confusing to figure out.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Just wondering does anyone else here feel guilty when they are not working on their side business? I'm slowly shutting down my business I'm working on because it's not profitable, and I've been relaxing a bit but can't help but feel guilty if im doing nothing. Feels like I should be working, but funny enough i spend more time procrastinating than when i should be working.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Long time ago my GM told me some study he read:
"Employees do just enough work not to be fired & employers pay just enough for employees not to leave."

And when you guys start hiring, remember what you were like when you were an employee.

Good luck!
Sounds OK to me at least.
When I hire someone to do a job, and they do it on time, I`m more than happy to pay them.
I dont expect them to go above and beyond for my sake or to push themselves to impress me.
I`m not like that.
While any extra effort or passion, will be appreciated, I dont require it.

In every job I've ever had I've always given my all, never coasted despite what coworkers do or bosses are like.
Thats clearly a mistake.
To me a job is about doing the work required from the employer.
Anything beyond that, if not compensated, is a waste of my time.

For me it's about self-respect & honesty because slacking is a form of theft IMO & I'm not a thief & when I look in the mirror I don't want to be ashamed of what I see.
Thats called "tying your own hand behind your back"
BBB chapter in Unscripted explains it best.

Also I believe in what goes around comes around, or rather do unto others as you would have done to yourself.
Thats a nice belief, but we all know that its 100% pure bullshit.
Its wishful thinking akin to relegious retribution.
"That guy ran over my kids, but yea, god will punish him."
Sure, sure...

You can do the minimal work required and NOT half a$$ your work at the same time.
Doing the minimum doesnt mean doing a bad job.
When you start to care about someone elses`business too much is when you lose the game.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
P.S. @Odysseus M Jones
... also one more thing.

Lets not forget that productivity is relative.
Since I`ve been working on my latest business while still employed, I`ve gained an enormous amount of experience which I do apply in my job.
Had I stayed just an employee, I would be a worse employee than I am right now.
So in actuality, my MVW (minimum viable work) is better than the max effort of some of my colegues.
All thanks to the fact that I`ve dumped so much of my beliefs and biases.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

It is not about your job. It is about your value. How hurt do you feel when things are perceived to be unfair and not making sense.

I used to hear this joke which I cannot remember clearly on its detail.

Guy A: “I am frustrated because this doesn’t make sense in this organisation.”

Guy B:” Since when did anything makes sense here!?”

My advice is adopting the outlook that we can only adapt to our environment to the best of we can. WhaT “should” happen is irrelevant. Things most likely has been like this and is going to remain the way it is for the time being.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.