The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Long Do You Keep Your Cellphone

DURABLEOILCOM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 25, 2012
In a technologicly driven world that is constantly innovating and improving how many years of service do you get out of your cell phones? Which system do you prefer Android or Apple? What device do you have now and how long have you had it? Which device gave you the most value & service for your money?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Motorola Nexus 6, 5+ years I guess, when it came out.
Google phones were the best, highest spec, AMOLED screens & reasonable prices. Not now unfortunately.

And the plain Android experience.

I had an LG Nexus 4, wicked phone, totally made of glass & a sparkly back, for sparkle related activities naturally.
We used to make fun of the Apple fanboys & their tiny screens.

Samsung got their credibility, & probably technology, by building the first Nexus, the rest is history.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I've been with Apple for about 10 years. I usually keep my phone about 2 years. I currently have an X but....... I got the X and didn't like it so I went back to my old phone for about a year. I only started using the X about 6 months ago. Just as I liked Windows98, I liked the older phone style better...... but I have no choice but to move forward. I also use an Otterbox on every iPhone.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Switched from Samsung to Apple years ago because my wife wanted to FaceTime. She promptly switched to a Samsung (?!?) leaving me stuck with my only Apple device.

I had an iPhone 5S because they’re small. When the battery stopped holding a charge I upgraded - to a second hand 5S with more memory.

I’ll keep it till it stops working. All the new smartphones are too damn big.

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
Android only, and my phone is a chinese ZTE, definitely an underrated brand , it surprised me, very reliable and capable. It is a problem in my life, a serious addiction, I am looking forward to exchange the internet and the smartphone for books only, not sure how though.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Switched from Samsung to Apple years ago because my wife wanted to FaceTime. She promptly switched to a Samsung (?!?) leaving me stuck with my only Apple device.

I had an iPhone 5S because they’re small. When the battery stopped holding a charge I upgraded - to a second hand 5S with more memory.

I’ll keep it till it stops working. All the new smartphones are too damn big.

I was all for the smaller phone as well..... until I started using the bigger screen. I have a love/hate relationship with this new phone and that is 1 of the reasons. I have my text so large you can probably read it from your house. The older I get the more blind I get.

Last edited:

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
In a technologicly driven world that is constantly innovating and improving how many years of service do you get out of your cell phones? Which system do you prefer Android or Apple? What device do you have now and how long have you had it? Which device gave you the most value & service for your money?

I keep my phone until it stops working. Once the phone stops working I sell for parts on Ebay and get the new Samsung Galaxy flagship phone. I only used Android because it works like a USB. Just connect to computer and see the files stored in there. No need to download the Apple ecosystem.

I've never had a iPhone. Don't see the appeal either. This is not 2010 anymore. Most phones on the market have basically the same technology now. And Apple has been lagging behind as of late. They buy their screens from Samsung. In terms of creativity Samsung is dominating the market right now. There are things Samsung has implemented on their phones and 2 years later the iPhone catches up and everyone acts like its new. For example Android was the first one out with 5g phones and finger print unlock.

With Android you have complete control over your device. If you wanted to you can even overclock the CPU to make it run faster. With Apple you're just borrowing the device from them. It's hard to find places that repair iPhones.

And just to show you how little Apple cares about its customers here's a new article on how Apple has been listening to all your conversations and are probably stored somewhere in their servers.

Last edited:

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
I was changing them very often because we got them for free... my dad was spending a lot of money on phone calls(international) and he had a lot of "points" one year they even gave us SIX phones(gifted them all).
But since I got my Iphone 5S when it came out I stuck to it for 3 years until the iphone 8 came out, I just sacrificed a bit more money and got the 256 gb version(decent decision), could've gotten the pro basic version but it was too big, wtf kind of people keep those phones in their pockets even the iphone 8 is too big.

I love their efficency and simple design + the fact that they take GREAT pictures, I have no idea why but most samsungs etc take shit pictures yet they're on paper better.

Also with this kind of phone there's absolutely NOTHING I can't do so I won't upgrade it until it starts to get buggy and slow.
I love shooting videos with it(4k) and editing them on a low cost app that does everything I may need and then some.

I thought about getting a tablet but I can't imagine the use for it other than "studying" that I can do on my pcs too.

What are your thoughts on spending unnecessary money on technology we don't need?
Like the newest iphone or the gaming pc, I have 8 gb of graphic card and I've never played a game on this pc, my GF abuses it for renders on twin motion and that's about it, it's phenomenal never having to worry about software because you have a beast of a computer but do we really need it this good?

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
I keep my phone until it stops working. Once the phone stops working I sell for parts on Ebay and get the new Samsung Galaxy flagship phone. I only used Android because it works like a USB. Just connect to computer and see the files stored in there. No need to download the Apple ecosystem.

I've never had a iPhone. Don't see the appeal either. This is not 2010 anymore. Most phones on the market have basically the same technology now. And Apple has been lagging behind as of late. They buy their screens from Samsung. In terms of creativity Samsung is dominating the market right now. There are things Samsung has implemented on their phones and 2 years later the iPhone catches up and everyone acts like its new. For example Android was the first one out with 5g phones and finger print unlock.

With Android you have complete control over your device. If you wanted to you can even overclock the CPU to make it run faster. With Apple you're just borrowing the device from them. It's hard to find places that repair iPhones.

And just to show you how little Apple cares about its customers here's a new article on how Apple has been listening to all your conversations and are probably stored somewhere in their servers.

Jailbreak is a possibily but honestly why would I care about those files or overclocking an amazingly performing phone?
Also I don't know where you live but even in third world countries you can find apple repair shops(obviously not official).

Honestly when I bought the 5S it was kind of cool but then it became like "WOW those Iphones are reaaally that good" and see no reason to change, I could care less about 2 year outdated technology etc.. It's not like I need the 0,1 second faster response or fingerprint or whatever.
I have a ton of friends who are crazy about their android ugly phones about the processor etc. etc. and try to convince me to switch when I don't give a damn, found the best phone for ME let me enjoy it.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I keep my phones until they stop working. My previous one lasted for about 4 years, while my current one is 2 years old, and I don't plan to change it unless I somehow break it.

I don't use my phone much, so I bought a relatively cheap one (I spent about 140€ if I remember correctly). It works great and I don't even imagine myself needing a "better" one. Like yeah, better pics or videos would be cool I suppose, but I take so few of them that I don't really mind.

What are your thoughts on spending unnecessary money on technology we don't need?
Like the newest iphone or the gaming pc, I have 8 gb of graphic card and I've never played a game on this pc, my GF abuses it for renders on twin motion and that's about it, it's phenomenal never having to worry about software because you have a beast of a computer but do we really need it this good?

It's bad like every other unnecessary spendings, but eh, it is what it is. For example, I bought a laptop I absolutely do not need at the moment (it was a killer black friday deal though!!!).

I use it every now and then, but nothing I do on it couldn't be done on my desktop pc. I suppose that it's going to be nice with the coming summer though, so I'll get more mileage out of it. Perhaps.

In my opinion, as long as you limite yourself and you don't go over your budget it doesn't matter. Like yeah, I'm human, so of course I will buy stuff I don't need, but the least I can do is control it.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
wtf kind of people keep those phones in their pockets even the iphone 8 is too big
Probably people without style or sense of fashion.
I mean, who puts a phone in their pocket?
It totally ruins the line of the pants and by extension your whole look.
If I have to go out on foot (rarely) I'll wear a jacket, otherwise it's used as navigation in the car.

Of course some will invest in those notebook backpacks that have USB cables, phone pockets & all kinds of paraphernalia emanating from them.
Once my skateboard arrives I may get one.

+ the fact that they take GREAT pictures
Wish I could find a phone with great specs & a lousy camera, waste of money for me, I hardly ever use it.
Plus it's an opportunity to look even more pretentious on my skateboard with a leather backpack & a high end DSLR around my neck.

It's difficult because we buy on emotion & convince ourselves we need it.
I had to delete all the gaming laptops from my Amazon basket because I kept checking for a sudden price drop.
Didn't need one, but...

For example, I bought a laptop I absolutely do not need at the moment (it was a killer black friday deal though!!!).

I use it every now and then, but nothing I do on it couldn't be done on my desktop pc. I suppose that it's going to be nice with the coming summer though, so I'll get more mileage out of it. Perhaps.
Be obsolete by summer...

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Probably people without style or sense of fashion.
I mean, who puts a phone in their pocket?
It totally ruins the line of the pants and by extension your whole look.
If I have to go out on foot (rarely) I'll wear a jacket, otherwise it's used as navigation in the car.

Of course some will invest in those notebook backpacks that have USB cables, phone pockets & all kinds of paraphernalia emanating from them.
Once my skateboard arrives I may get one.

Wish I could find a phone with great specs & a lousy camera, waste of money for me, I hardly ever use it.
Plus it's an opportunity to look even more pretentious on my skateboard with a leather backpack & a high end DSLR around my neck.

It's difficult because we buy on emotion & convince ourselves we need it.
I had to delete all the gaming laptops from my Amazon basket because I kept checking for a sudden price drop.
Didn't need one, but...

Be obsolete by summer...
to be honest the iphone 8 fits just right in my pocket you would barely notice it, but I'm a big dude with big legs so it could be different for other people.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Jailbreak is a possibily but honestly why would I care about those files or overclocking an amazingly performing phone?
Also I don't know where you live but even in third world countries you can find apple repair shops(obviously not official).

Honestly when I bought the 5S it was kind of cool but then it became like "WOW those Iphones are reaaally that good" and see no reason to change, I could care less about 2 year outdated technology etc.. It's not like I need the 0,1 second faster response or fingerprint or whatever.
I have a ton of friends who are crazy about their android ugly phones about the processor etc. etc. and try to convince me to switch when I don't give a damn, found the best phone for ME let me enjoy it.

Nobody is stopping you from enjoying your phone. You sound like a fan boy getting triggered because someone said they don't like iphones. I was answering the question op asked and why I believe Android is better than iphone. The reason you think iphone takes "better" pictures is because their camera software comes with different filters. While the Android ones don't have the layers of filters. Exactly when you go to an unofficial repair store you void your warranty and apple implements software that detects when you're installing a non apple part on your phone.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Nobody is stopping you from enjoying your phone. You sound like a fan boy getting triggered because someone said they don't like iphones. I was answering the question op asked and why I believe Android is better than iphone. The reason you think iphone takes "better" pictures is because their camera software comes with different filters. While the Android ones don't have the layers of filters. Exactly when you go to an unofficial repair store you void your warranty and apple implements software that detects when you're installing a non apple part on your phone.
I mean does anyone spend 200€ to get their screen repaired instead of 80 from the chinese guy?Not to talk about the battery.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
When they gave away phones every two years, I upgraded every two years. That was in the flip phone and eventually blackberry days. Then I had an iPhone 5 for.... five years? First phone I “bought”, until I got a 7 Plus for the bigger screen. Now I’m seriously considering a flip phone.

Side note: I almost started a thread about that today. Has anyone gone back to a conventional cell phone recently? Looking at a digital detox when I’m not in front of a computer working.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I find this to be actually a pretty important question.

I find my phone to be one of the most important business tools in my "toolbelt." I don't compromise on communications.

I get a new phone every 6 months on average about the time I see some degradation in battery life. My phone is ALWAYS a peak performer...

That said... I currently have an Iphone 11, but I had a Note 10+ before that. I will get a 12 as soon as I can get one without waiting in a line like an idiot. The mostly Microsoft and Google apps I use make it a simple switch back and forth. I currently prefer Apple by a small margin just because they seem to be more reliable.

I also use Verizon for service.

I use Obahai HD gigabit office phones too.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
get a new phone every 6 months on average
Don't lie. I don't think you have ever had a modern phone that long!

I am generally upgrading every 2ish years. It depends on if there is something out there that I think will make a difference.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Currently using this brick.
In my possession for over half a decade.

Special features and benefits:
  • Can take calls
  • Can even make calls (!)
  • The interface resembles that of old Nokias, which is quite nice
  • Can be used to hammer nails
  • Can open bottles
  • Can be used as a throwing weapon against hipsters and other assorted vermin
Downsides:
  • Once in a while the battery runs out
I'm pretty happy with it.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
Usually after 1-2 years.

I love the physical keyboards on the blackberry phones. But the Key2 is probably their last phone with a physical keyboard. So this time I might hold on to it a little longer, before making the switch to a touch screen only device.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Around 2 years I think.. I switched to Apple about 4 years ago, because all my Androids seemed to slow down during years. My first Apple was 7, I sold it after 3 years and it was still soooo fast, I loved that phone. Now I have XS. It's a bit too big, but I heard that 12 is maybe going to be smaller so we'll see. I'm using it for business purposes a lot and Apple works for me.

The new SE seems awesome too.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
My iPhone have to last at least 3 or 4 years. There are very expensive here in Argentina, so it is not something that change every year or I have to wait to someone travels to the USA or Europe to buy me one.

Also, I feel awful when I think all the money that they cost and the little value that offer me. I leave mine in the other corner of my office and used it only when I have to. I like technology, but I don't find the justification to buy a new one every year or so.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I've had my Samsung s6 for almost five years now, I've not had a reason to change. Battery is okay after all these years and it still does what I need it to. I'll upgrade soon, maybe in a couple of months. I don't understand people who automatically upgrade every year or two.

D

Deleted78083

I don't own any apple products because i dont see the point spending more money to do stuff something cheaper allows me to do. I have a xiaomi note pro 7, and this brand made me wish i was chinese because it is really awesome even though they dont play it fair with data.

I keep the phone until it dies, which usually take 2-3 years.

Edit: when it comes to my phones, the bigger the better.

DURABLEOILCOM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 25, 2012
It's hard to resist the trade in deals and special promotions on Black Friday
frown.gif
but realisticly you should be using your phone at minimum 4 years to get your monies worth out of it. I really enjoy Android over Apple.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia

This was always the ideal phone size in my opinion. I have a Google Pixel 3a. It takes some of the best pictures I have ever seen from a camera phone. With Google, you always have the first updates in
Android before anyone else. Its a solid phone and it premiered at a whopping 399 which is ludicrous for a phone of that caliber. Can't wait to see what the 4a brings.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.