The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One step above rock bottom...

Starship7

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Dec 28, 2019
First of all I'd like to say hello to the forum and thank you to MJ for creating this great resource!

I'm a 33 year old man that is one step above rock bottom. I've spent years as a dopamine junky chasing short term rewards. Drugs, promiscuity, junk food, gaming, and a host of terrible decisions on my part have left me with nearly nothing. My enabling parent, who is near breaking point dealing with me, is the only thing keeping me from sleeping in my car.

I've definitely been a sidewalker my whole life, working as a cook in lots of kitchens and dealing drugs on the side. A few months back I got turned on to Big Herc and Wes Watson on YouTube who helped knock some sense into me and convinced me to get out of the game. Now I'm just a line cook.

I'm putting in work toward the long term now. Got up at 5am today to work out before I go wear myself out cooking for 12 hours. Probably going to be too tired to study afterwards, but damn am I going to try.

I hope to use this post as a journal of sorts. Any advice on my situation and roadmap is appreciated.

Heading to work, will check in later tonight for some motivation to keep grinding for the future!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Welcome! I used to work in restaurants and boy is that a crap job lol, what are some plans moving forward?

Tossek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 5, 2019
Germany
Hi and welcome.

My suggestion is: Use your dopamine dependency for reaching goals. Change your view for this topic.

Set a big goal. Split it into many fast reachable goals and proceed.

"If there is one thing to get excited about, it’s your ability to make yourself do the necessary things, to get a desired result, to turn the negative into success. And that’s remarkable. " - Jim Rohn

I cannot tell you, what your aim shall be that is for you to decide. I have had many insights by studying project management - but I am a very abstract character. Still, it worked out for me.

As a cook, in every meal you find time pressure and face certain obstacles managing ressources, shortages and uphead time planning. You know the stuff by heart, probably you have never thought about what you are doing as a process. But that is my assumption. Learn how to deal with process as a general. That would be my advice.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hey and welcome to the forum!

You have the advantage that you are still young, looking forward to your updates! Most important is to build good habits and get into a routine of healthy lifestyle.

Starship7

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Dec 28, 2019
Welcome! I used to work in restaurants and boy is that a crap job lol, what are some plans moving forward?
It definitely is a crap job! Especially after reading FLM and realizing that you're busting your a$$ for somebody else's fastlane! My plan is to cultivate skills that will allow me to create a business that has potential to become a fastlane, while also giving me job prospects. Lead a healthy lifestyle and put in work on my relationships with family and friends that I've neglected, also.

Hi and welcome.

My suggestion is: Use your dopamine dependency for reaching goals. Change your view for this topic.

Set a big goal. Split it into many fast reachable goals and proceed.

"If there is one thing to get excited about, it’s your ability to make yourself do the necessary things, to get a desired result, to turn the negative into success. And that’s remarkable. " - Jim Rohn

I cannot tell you, what your aim shall be that is for you to decide. I have had many insights by studying project management - but I am a very abstract character. Still, it worked out for me.

As a cook, in every meal you find time pressure and face certain obstacles managing ressources, shortages and uphead time planning. You know the stuff by heart, probably you have never thought about what you are doing as a process. But that is my assumption. Learn how to deal with process as a general. That would be my advice.
Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely going to be meditating on how I can apply my cook skills more broadly! Your assumption is completely correct, as a lifelong sidewalker I have never put an effort into my process. Spending time here on the FLF has taught me loads about people's process and roadmap.

Hey and welcome to the forum!

You have the advantage that you are still young, looking forward to your updates! Most important is to build good habits and get into a routine of healthy lifestyle.
Thanks for your reply! I'm 39 days cig free and haven't missed a workout in 3 weeks, a few meager streaks that I'm very proud of!

Starship7

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Dec 28, 2019
The kitchen manager told me that my hours are getting cut back to 1 shift a week and they've got some new hires working my spot. That's pretty much a restaurant's way of firing you without firing you. I'm angry, but at myself, not the manager. I can't blame him as I slipped into the bad habit of coming to work high on weed, which resulted in me ruining some product.

I went to a buddy's house afterward to hang out afterwards and ended up getting baked and drunk while playing video games all night. He sympathized with me and said he knows some places looking for help. I wanted to talk to him about how I'd just be trading one sidewalk for another, but it would be like talking to a brick wall as he is a sidewalker himself. He's a stoner making $14/hr with no long term prospects, just like me.

I woke up this morning and flushed all my weed, then went through my contact list and replace all my old stoner friends pictures with Detour road signs. These people are a detour from the slow and fast lanes straight to the sidewalk. I'm going very low or no contact with them.

On the plus side I'm sticking to my process. Working our regularly and stopping cigarettes for the past month and a half have me feeling great. My library card lets me use Lynda.com for free and I've been going through their HTML courses, along with doing lots of reading. I just got Unscripted in the mail a few days ago and it looks like I'll be having a lot of time to read through it in the near future.

I'm going to have to get another sidewalk job cooking in a kitchen until I can pass a drug test, at least 30 days. I'm going to cultivate skills that will allow me to get a job where I can learn and earn at the same time, while working on creating a product that I can automate with the potential to become a fastlane. I've got a long weekend of applying for jobs, studying HTML, and reading Unscripted that I can't wait to dive into!

TL;DR - Loser stoner experiencing the results of a life of poor choices. Putting in work studying and reading as much as I can to get skills that will transfer over to creating a business with potential to become a fastlane.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
The kitchen manager told me that my hours are getting cut back to 1 shift a week and they've got some new hires working my spot. That's pretty much a restaurant's way of firing you without firing you. I'm angry, but at myself, not the manager. I can't blame him as I slipped into the bad habit of coming to work high on weed, which resulted in me ruining some product.

I went to a buddy's house afterward to hang out afterwards and ended up getting baked and drunk while playing video games all night. He sympathized with me and said he knows some places looking for help. I wanted to talk to him about how I'd just be trading one sidewalk for another, but it would be like talking to a brick wall as he is a sidewalker himself. He's a stoner making $14/hr with no long term prospects, just like me.

I woke up this morning and flushed all my weed, then went through my contact list and replace all my old stoner friends pictures with Detour road signs. These people are a detour from the slow and fast lanes straight to the sidewalk. I'm going very low or no contact with them.

On the plus side I'm sticking to my process. Working our regularly and stopping cigarettes for the past month and a half have me feeling great. My library card lets me use Lynda.com for free and I've been going through their HTML courses, along with doing lots of reading. I just got Unscripted in the mail a few days ago and it looks like I'll be having a lot of time to read through it in the near future.

I'm going to have to get another sidewalk job cooking in a kitchen until I can pass a drug test, at least 30 days. I'm going to cultivate skills that will allow me to get a job where I can learn and earn at the same time, while working on creating a product that I can automate with the potential to become a fastlane. I've got a long weekend of applying for jobs, studying HTML, and reading Unscripted that I can't wait to dive into!

TL;DR - Loser stoner experiencing the results of a life of poor choices. Putting in work studying and reading as much as I can to get skills that will transfer over to creating a business with potential to become a fastlane.

I'm exciting to see the process! I got fired from my restaurant job( this is a long time ago) fairly quick, was there for 2 years, suddenly new management came in and boom, took a turn for the worst. Well, better for me (hated my job anyways)

In my experience from action faking, procrastination and dealing with fear, use unscripted as your personal road map. Learn as much as you can, but don't fall into the trap of learning. What's even better than learning is experience.

Read the book for now and absorb it as much as you can, you might even need to read twice! It's alot of information, then come up with a plan!

Good luck! Don't let us down :clench: & subbed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...