The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The problem with vaccines is proving them both effective and safe.

This brings up an important point that so many people aren't familiar with. Keep this in mind as we go forward when reading headlines: The difference between in vivo testing and in vitro testing.

In Vivo = inside a living thing. Animal trials, human trials, etc. These are the headlines you want to pay attention to because they indicate efficacy inside a living, breathing host.

In Vitro = testing on organisms outside of their normal environment. Like test tubes, petri dishes, etc. Cancer has been cured a thousand times in vitro because of basically this:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
what a horrible example being set by refusing to be tested.

Source? And no, I don't consider anything the New York Times and their sycophants [Daily Beat, Buzzfeed] publishes with respect to Trump a source.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I’m net pro-Trump but what a horrible example being set by refusing to be tested.

There is near 0% probability trump hasn’t been tested, probably multiple times.

trump has his own personal physician on hand all the time. His health is monitored constantly. When he travels there is an actual trauma surgeon that travels with him, I personally know someone that was a presidential trauma surgeon.

however, trumps status may be considered a matter of national security.

Trump has never said he wouldn’t be tested. He has said he would, he just hasn’t said if he has. There are lots of reasons I can see why they would not want to disclose upfront if he had been test or not, and what his status is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Source? And no, I don't consider anything the New York Times and their sycophants [Daily Beat, Buzzfeed] publishes with respect to Trump a source.

Haha trust me I agree. CBS reported it quoting White House officials. Politico and (cough) CNN (cough) and the press secretary herself. Trump himself stated it in the press conference today as well. I’m sure he has been tested like @GIlman said, and undoubtedly there are security reasons, but the optics of it don’t look good if we’re encouraging those who are in close contact with known patients to be tested nationwide.

My personal opinion is I’d rather be lied to about him testing negative than lied to that he hasn’t been tested.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Haha trust me I agree. CBS reported it quoting White House officials. Politico and (cough) CNN (cough) I’m sure he has been tested like @GIlman said, and undoubtedly there are security reasons, but the optics of it don’t look good if we’re encouraging those who are in close contact with known patients to be tested nationwide.

My personal opinion is I’d rather be lied to about him testing negative than lied to that he hasn’t been tested.

Here's how I know this is fake news: Trump himself would never willingly expose his daughter (the precious Ivanka) to this virus. He's been tested. And if he's positive, his daughter is miles away, probably locked in a box.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Since buying paper-towels to use as toilet-paper is becoming a thing now, if you live in an apartment complex (or own one), you might want to tell the management to tell people NOT to flush paper-towels. They do NOT break down as quickly as toilet paper.

The stores are sold out of toilet-paper, so this is going to start happening - now.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

He's got to get this fixed before he and Pence get sick, and Pelosi is in charge.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Ok, was watching FOX, they were reporting on the state of Arizona. And it’s horrifying how little testing has been done to date. To date there have been a whopping total of 143 tests in Arizona. ONLY 22 yesterday.

The news is reporting this as a positive thing. its not. It shows a total lack of response, and a total blindness to the real state of what’s going on. Even if it is not wide spread the only way to prove that is through wide spread testing.

Lack of positive tests in the face of a total lack of testing means nothing.

here is the thing. these symptoms are very non specific. Hospitals see hundreds of people a day with these symptoms. There should be thousands and thousands of tests done daily.

Timea Szabo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 20, 2020
London
Update.
I rung the National UK helpline 111 on Monday complaining I had symptoms after coming into contact with my friend who flew back from Northern Italy last week (and a member of his team already proved positive for COVID19) . They said they would ring me back to arrange for me to go to a test centre. After numerous phone calls (as my symptoms got worse) to 111 they took my details down and told me to self isolate (have been since Monday).

Now, come Wednesday morning 2 medics stormed into my room as I was still asleep, dressed in Hazmat (?) suits and all that gear that comes with it. Was so confused at the time, you can imagine the look on my face. Both nostrils swabbed, temperature taken, throat swabbed, blood taken, all the usual stuff. They said it would take 2/3 days for results, still waiting. To my other friend who got tested they said it could take up to 5 days.
Funny thing is, my friend who came back from Northern Italy with the guy who’s proved positive, is still waiting to be tested. He rung them on Saturday, so it has been nearly a week. So, someone who has flown back from Northern Italy, with someone who has proved positive for the virus, and is showing symptoms, is still waiting to be tested??

They are prioritising the wrong people unfortunately, and it seems to me that people on the frontline are getting told different information and passing this down to possible carriers.

The UK is not prepared for this outbreak.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Update.
I rung the National UK helpline 111 on Monday complaining I had symptoms after coming into contact with my friend who flew back from Northern Italy last week (and a member of his team already proved positive for COVID19) . They said they would ring me back to arrange for me to go to a test centre. After numerous phone calls (as my symptoms got worse) to 111 they took my details down and told me to self isolate (have been since Monday).

Now, come Wednesday morning 2 medics stormed into my room as I was still asleep, dressed in Hazmat (?) suits and all that gear that comes with it. Was so confused at the time, you can imagine the look on my face. Both nostrils swabbed, temperature taken, throat swabbed, blood taken, all the usual stuff. They said it would take 2/3 days for results, still waiting. To my other friend who got tested they said it could take up to 5 days.
Funny thing is, my friend who came back from Northern Italy with the guy who’s proved positive, is still waiting to be tested. He rung them on Saturday, so it has been nearly a week. So, someone who has flown back from Northern Italy, with someone who has proved positive for the virus, and is showing symptoms, is still waiting to be tested??

They are prioritising the wrong people unfortunately, and it seems to me that people on the frontline are getting told different information and passing this down to possible carriers.

The UK is not prepared for this outbreak.
Sorry to hear you’re feeling unwell. Let’s hope you recover soon.

Antti

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 21, 2017
Finland
If a vaccine comes out I'm probably not getting it (right away anyway). I can't trust something that is created that fast.
And for a very good reason. The vaccine that was given for swine flu in Europe, roughly a decade ago, caused narcolepsia (not sure if that’s the correct word in English) for some people.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Damn it, this will be the 2nd day in a row I've gone down this rabbithole of a thread.

As far as I'm concerned, yes. The virus will absolutely affect those who are Infantile, Elderly, and/or Comorbid. I don't fall into those categories, so I'm statistically at lower risk of dying from an infection.

What I'm more concerned about are the wider economic issues and pressure on governments due to extreme panic about the virus, but not the virus in and of itself.

Extreme Panic will lead to the masses running for the banks and grocery stores, without enough time for commodities production to provide for everyone.

Extreme Panic will lead to everyone staying home from work for extended periods of time, potentially halting the economy and production of vital commodities.

Do I believe a virus will make us go to those extremes? I don't believe so.

It's pretty clear that trade HAS to continue, otherwise nobody will get the necessary goods people need to live. This is why I believe governments, the CDC and WHO aren't being truthful about the gravity of the situation. They've come to realize that there's going to be significant loss of life as a result of this, but they're buying time through continued containment. The announcing of a global pandemic would cause mass hysteria before commodities or pharmaceutical companies will be able to support the surge of demand. If everyone in the world tried to get their hands on 6 months of supplies tomorrow, how catastrophic would that be? So, commerce everywhere except China moves on.

It's in light of this that I believe it's up to the individual to prepare for the worst and hope for the best -- Just like you would do in any other natural disaster. Floridians do it every year for hurricane season. The mentality that you should prepare if you had to survive without the aid of public institutions is normal and should be accepted.

Hell, I've been through a Cat 5 Hurricane almost 2 years ago.

Guess what. We lived.

It's because we had enough stuff to live off of until the community stabilized. We obviously never hope things to keel over, but if we see a storm coming, we stock up. 99 out of 100 times, we're fine. That 1 storm that causes so much destruction where you can't rely on public services to help us for a couple weeks makes the preparation worth it.

Fear only comes from being ill-prepared. So, get prepared.

As far as I can tell, that's what I see here. It's a metaphorical storm coming from a pretty significant distance. It could end up being a tropical storm that fizzles out before we know it. It could also be a Katrina before we know it, and it's those we prepare for. We never expect or hope it'll become that, but we stock up anyway.

That's my two cents on one end of the spectrum. On the other hand...

FEAR should never dictate your business decisions.
Will I prepare? Yes. If I see a storm coming, why wouldn't I?

But I'm not going to let FEAR get in the way of working my plan.
You could've said the same for 2008 or any number of external events...

"I'm not gonna go into business because the economy's bad."
So what?

"I'm not gonna go into business because X president is getting elected."
So what?

"I'm not gonna go into business because corona will end the world."
No it won't dummy. So what?

That's all I've gotta say about this. Getting supplies when I move at the end of this week. But for now I might just have to mute this thread. It's affecting my productivity :hilarious:
Damn it, easier said than done.

I'd be lying if seeing the world implode didn't give me undue anxiety.

Just glad I sold the business in November...Never been a better time to be 100% cash.

Timea Szabo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 20, 2020
London
Another update.
Just spoke to my friend who
has flown back from Northern Italy, with someone who has proved positive for the virus, and is showing symptoms
He just told me they are now refusing to test him (and his family) because he is not at risk?

Yet I managed to get tested for coming into contact with him (someone who has recently flown back from Northern Italy) Surely he is at much higher risk than I?

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
And for a very good reason. The vaccine that was given for swine flu in Europe, roughly a decade ago, caused narcolepsia (not sure if that’s the correct word in English) for some people.

I really really hate coming across as an anti-vaxer or a tinfoil hat, but I wouldn't get anything that hasn't been tested for at least a decade on hundreds of millions of people with an extremely positive result. Especially for something mild like this (in a healthy young person's case). I'll do my best to follow basic hygiene so as not to pass anything I might get on but...sorry not getting any vaccine for this any time soon. Vaccines are not our way out of this pandemic

Now, come Wednesday morning 2 medics stormed into my room as I was still asleep, dressed in Hazmat (?) suits and all that gear that comes with it.

WTF lol

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
Hoping you're right. Please keep us posted.

I went and got tested for it, just waiting to hear back now. There's now 3 confirmed in my city in Minnesota with it, and if they've been living about their day or going to the gym like I have then I bet there's more. I usually get better after 2-3 days with a cold.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Another update.
Just spoke to my friend who

He just told me they are now refusing to test him (and his family) because he is not at risk?

Yet I managed to get tested for coming into contact with him (someone who has recently flown back from Northern Italy) Surely he is at much higher risk than I?

Typical government logic. My guess is that maybe he's asymptomatic so they consider him lower risk?

Either way, I'm hoping for your speedy recovery.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
This guy was ahead of his time. It's my #2 book.

book.png

Last edited:

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
This guy was ahead of his time.

book.png

I've never understood the meaning behind stocking on toilet paper. Wouldn't people run out of food before they run out of toilet paper? Same thing goes with hand sanitizer, all the shelves are empty in my stores but the soap is all there still. It's cringe.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
In Denmark, you won't be tested now unless you are seriously ill. The government says we have a really high dark number of infected people. Only around 800 confirmed, but we have a lot more because of the priorities of the health system, focusing on thr very ill and not us, who will get well staying at home for a week or two.

When I hear this from the Danish government, I can't imagine how high the numbers of infected people are in Italy, China, Iran etc. You can't use the official numbers of infected people for anything, since it has nothing to do with the real number of infected people.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I've never understood the meaning behind stocking on toilet paper. Wouldn't people run out of food before they run out of toilet paper? Same thing goes with hand sanitizer, all the shelves are empty in my stores but the soap is all there still. It's cringe.

You can "go" a long time without food.

aspenriver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Sep 10, 2014

It's quite a fascinating phenomenon psychologically:

“In times of uncertainty, people enter a panic zone that makes them irrational and completely neurotic,” he said in a phone call. “In other disaster conditions like a flood, we can prepare because we know how many supplies we need, but we have a virus now we know nothing about.”

“When you enter a supermarket, you’re looking for value and high volumes,” he added, noting that people are drawn to the large packaging that toilet paper comes in when they are looking to regain a sense of control.

Source : Here's why people are panic buying and stockpiling toilet paper to cope with coronavirus fears

Also it's an example of something called zero risk bias where instead of doing something to progress towards lowering a risk, the person takes on something more superficial instead that can be fully eliminated. Hence people buying a year's supply to fully get rid of the risk of running out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.