The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Recreating this Forum

KenCorigliano

TCMethod
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 29, 2020
Washington DC area
Ok who else has had the idea that they could pull-off a forum like this for their idea? I think I'm one of those suckers but think it could really work. What does the market mind say about these forums? I suggested the idea to one of the companies I own and my web dev said, "dude, forums are so 2011. They require so much work and I don't think anyone wants to sit on them when there is reddit and quora."

[if you're curious it's for obstacle course racing, ninja warrior, and like endurance events]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Ok who else has had the idea that they could pull-off a forum like this for their idea? I think I'm one of those suckers but think it could really work. What does the market mind say about these forums? I suggested the idea to one of the companies I own and my web dev said, "dude, forums are so 2011. They require so much work and I don't think anyone wants to sit on them when there is reddit and quora."

[if you're curious it's for obstacle course racing, ninja warrior, and like endurance events]

I had a niche poker forum for a year and it had some interesting moments but a lot of work and in end gave it up. I'd say if committed and used as a funnel to your business with a great product or service could be worth while.

KenCorigliano

TCMethod
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 29, 2020
Washington DC area
I had a niche poker forum for a year and it had some interesting moments but a lot of work and in end gave it up. I'd say if committed and used as a funnel to your business with a great product or service could be worth while.
Thank you. Glad but sad to see others' efforts. I want to make this decision with a lot of information and need to know what I'm in for or what I'm abandoning.
Ken

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If I'm not mistaken, @MJ DeMarco mentioned a few times he wouldn't recommend a forum to people.

I've had a couple of little Xenforo forums and didn't like running them. I don't mind popping in and out of various communities as a member. Running them is different.

I know @Fox and @Lex DeVille have also run separate communities (and bigger ones than I had) and they both shut various of them down.

I'd rather grow the subscribers to a paid email newsletter or to a membership site that just has courses and limited community to it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
Thank you. Glad but sad to see others' efforts. I want to make this decision with a lot of information and need to know what I'm in for or what I'm abandoning.
Ken
Why do you need a lot of information before making a decision? Why do you need to know what you're in for?

What's stopping you from gathering information through taking action?

If you need information, perhaps here are questions to consider:
  • If you were to build a forum, what need would it solve? What problem do people have?
  • What's the potential upside (market size, spending in this category, etc.)?
  • What other forums are there for this market?
    • If there are, how are they inadequately filling the need/solving people's problems?
  • If this were a real problem, is it worth solving? If so, is a forum the solution?
It sounds like you're considering a solution rather than trying to solve a problem. If this solves a problem, it would be difficult to know what you're getting yourself into exactly. The problem dictates the solution, and a forum like TFF fills a completely different problem.

I'm not experienced with creating forums at all, but these are questions I've asked in general when evaluating opportunities.

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
For most interests, a subreddit is more than sufficient. It's when you need more than user likes to curate content, where it's helpful for users to build a reputation for specialties/experience, etc that maybe a forum would actually be needed in the space.

VIDAA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 6, 2018
Toronto
I owned a real estate forum for a couple of years and sold it for $2 Mil. It requires a hell lot of dedication and takes a lot of your time. You need a great community, a sensible administrator and a dedicated team of moderators to pull of a successful forum.
There could be a downside to it too. - Read this story.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.