The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are Microeconomics and Statistics Any Useful For Market Research?

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Hi guys.
I was wondering: has any of you benefitted from knowing microeconomics and statistics to do market research and to have a general idea of how profitable a market can be?

As I'm in university, I was wondering how I could apply what I study. Or are these a bunch of useless, impractical crap?
Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Yes the principles in these disciplines are useful and practical. You can use the principles in these sciences to predict markets.

Although i can understand your skepticism as when you learn these things in college its hard to tell if it can really be used in real life.

Im not a fan of academia nor do i despise it but it seems like they teach you how to memorize textbooks and take tests but not how to make money or how to self-actualize as a person.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hi guys.
I was wondering: has any of you benefitted from knowing microeconomics and statistics to do market research and to have a general idea of how profitable a market can be?

As I'm in university, I was wondering how I could apply what I study. Or are these a bunch of useless, impractical crap?
Thanks in advance.
It's the most useful class I ever had.

When I signed up lawn care customers for my lawn care business, I noticed the lack of price elasticity in residential lawn care meant I had a much higher ROAS (return on ad spend) by raising prices and avoiding commercial properties. I measured factors that moved my supply and demand curves in or out, and which were the most effective changes to make in my business that would result in maximizing profit (while minimizing my effort and overall mistakes).

Otherwise, school was a joke and I would suggest dropping out.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Micro is way more useful in business and helpful in investing.

Macro is more about understanding monetary policy of the government. Not that helpful in business, but a little helpful in investing.

I have never used advanced statistics in my business. Basic everyday statistics? Sure.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I have never used advanced statistics in my business. Basic everyday statistics? Sure.
+1
Sure as hell I won't be using OLS regression, simplex and ARIMA on a regular basis lol!

But simple hypothesis testing, and the role of benchmarks and cutoff points?
Yeah.

While it's the story behind the numbers that count, I sure won't be able to get any story at all, if I had nothing to check up on.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
It's the most useful class I ever had.

When I signed up lawn care customers for my lawn care business, I noticed the lack of price elasticity in residential lawn care meant I had a much higher ROAS (return on ad spend) by raising prices and avoiding commercial properties. I measured factors that moved my supply and demand curves in or out, and which were the most effective changes to make in my business that would result in maximizing profit (while minimizing my effort and overall mistakes).

Otherwise, school was a joke and I would suggest dropping out.

This.

Figuring out pricing is huge.

Also, the general thought process that micro impacts on you can do wonders.

When you start thinking of opportunity cost, etc., you'll make better use of your time and how you spend it. That decision making skill is essential to being successful.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Agree with comments about the value of understanding microeconomics for running your business.

As for statistics, it depends:
  • Probabilistic & expected-value thinking can be incredibly useful--especially for deciding whether to pursue opportunities.
  • Advanced statistical methods (e.g., regression, data mining, etc.) tend to be used more when you're building a data-as-a-service or doing quant-based investing (like Renaissance Technologies--which has generated billions of dollars using advanced statistics).

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
Anyone knows any good book about micro? I always read a lot about macro, but almost nothing about microeconomics

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Anyone knows any good book about micro? I always read a lot about macro, but almost nothing about microeconomics

I would honestly find some kind of online course for it if I were you. iTunesU has a free course that seems VERY in depth from saylor.org

I am actually kind of shocked that you see more about macro than micro... Micro is almost totally built on the foundation of simple supply and demand and concepts like opportunity cost and elasticity.

Micro is SO much better than macro for business owners.

Last edited:

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I would honestly find some kind of online course for it if I were you.

I am actually kind of shocked that you see more about macro than micro... Micro is almost totally built on the foundation of simple supply and demand.

I read a lot about macro because I really enjoy it, and not with a business purpose. I am going to start looking for an online course then, thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.