The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Contracts , where to get them

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I'm thinking rocketlawyer?

I'll be pitching a service to lawyers so , kind of can't just rustle something up myself but , curious to see what everyone else does for legal documents without breaking the bank?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
I'm thinking rocketlawyer?

I'll be pitching a service to lawyers so , kind of can't just rustle something up myself but , curious to see what everyone else does for legal documents without breaking the bank?
I create the contracts from scratch. It is my specialty and where I usually draw a clear difference from other lawyers, in contracts and closing. So, I like to create them from zero. That way nothing goes missing and they are taylored perfeclty for whatever the client needs.

If you want to go the easy but imperfect way, legal zoom is very popular.

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Have a lawyer make you a template.

My contracts are for software and there are a lot of things to watch out for so I don't even think about DIY. Contracts are also very use-specific and without the proper knowledge, you have no idea what you are creating or what you are missing by Frankenstein-ing a contract.

Also, if you are pitching to lawyers they can spot an online cookie-cutter contact instantly.

If you can reuse it then go that route. If you need a specific contract per user then you should figure that cost into the pricing.

After losing tens of thousands of lines of code to a poor contract, I think it's worth the money.

Heads up to any devs, license and usage are not interchangeable in a contract.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Step 1: Search for a template online for the type of contract you need.
Step 2: Read through the said contract and understand it.
Step 3: Decide what other clauses you need to introduce in it to tailor it for your needs.
(Optional Step 3b: Ask a lawyer to CHECK your contract - much cheaper)
Step 4: Use it!

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Step 1: Search for a template online for the type of contract you need.
Step 2: Read through the said contract and understand it.
Step 3: Decide what other clauses you need to introduce in it to tailor it for your needs.
(Optional Step 3b: Ask a lawyer to CHECK your contract - much cheaper)
Step 4: Use it!
I know step 3b could be cheaper but also is a little tricky. If you go with a lower tier quality lawyer he will be really tempted to twitch and modify your contract in order to justify his involvement. If you go with a good one wpuld not be cheap at all because usually we don´t really like "self help/I know the law" clients.

If you know what you need go all the way solo. If serious money or consequences are involved, go with a lawyer. A professional negotiator will see things that are not visible on the contract and will automatically scan it for future conflicts and issues derived exclusively from experience in those scenarios.

So, for simple stuff what you say is 100% right. For more complicated and serious stuff going that route and try to save money could be a gamble. If you are lucky would be a great experience...

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Wonder.legal is my favorite

much obliged

Have a lawyer make you a template.

what kind of lawyer? business law or contract law?

Its essentially a service agreement, service costs x month 1 and then y from then on. Seems straight forward (as a service provider vs client agreement, sign on the dotted line) but...

if you are pitching to lawyers they can spot an online cookie-cutter contact instantly.

thats kind of my fear, I'm not a professional salesmen, its a brand new business so I have no referrals, the less "amateur hour" I can project the better, I don't want someone who was on the fence until they got an eye rolling service agreement put under there nose.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
much obliged

what kind of lawyer? business law or contract law?

Its essentially a service agreement, service costs x month 1 and then y from then on. Seems straight forward (as a service provider vs client agreement, sign on the dotted line) but...

thats kind of my fear, I'm not a professional salesmen, its a brand new business so I have no referrals, the less "amateur hour" I can project the better, I don't want someone who was on the fence until they got an eye rolling service agreement put under there nose.
Either one should be able to do it.

Contract lawyers might be more expensive as they specialize but if the contract isn’t crazy complicated any lawyer should be able to handle it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.