The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just saw this comment on Youtube - the slowlane is real. Start working on your life today.

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If this person thinks following passion is the answer, he's in for another rude awakening.

The answer is to aspire for meaningful work.

And meaningful work isn't always easy, passionate, or fun.

Do something that makes a difference and has a meaning -- a meaning to your life, to your family, and to your world. And then passion won't be a problem.

In an excerpt from my new unpublished book...

Joel Osteen is to Christianity what "follow your passion" is to business advice: It sounds great, it sells books and fills coffers, and it gives its followers a delusional sense of absolution.

Give your life a meaning and a purpose, bridge it with a market-centered approach and everything falls into place, including the passion.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
If this person thinks following passion is the answer, he's in for another rude awakening.

The answer is to aspire for meaningful work.

Do something that makes a difference and has a meaning -- a meaning to your life, to your family, and to your world. And then passion won't be a problem.

Joel Osteen is to Christianity what "follow your passion" is to business advice: It sounds great, it sells books and fills coffers, and it gives its followers a delusional sense of absolution.

Give your life a meaning and a purpose, bridge it with a market-centered approach and everything falls into place, including the passion.

When will the book be on sale?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

This is the hardest part to get through to people... it's like your first breakthrough is "I don't want to keep living this way" and you need to do something differently, but then the second you have to go through is "people won't pay me for my passions".

I have a friend I'm trying to help through a slump/depression and he says its because he never reached his potential financially, but his goal is "I'm going to make money doing YouTube videos because it would be fun"....

*facepalm*

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When will the book be on sale?

Whenever it is ready and I get firm a date.

I know vague, but I don't like putting dates on things as it forces me to release something before it is truly ready.

Aiming for a "good" likely produces a mediocre. I aim for excellence, so then, the likely outcome is "good" ... if that makes any sense, lol.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London

FYI, though I'm sure you know, but Joel Osteen as a reference doesn't carry internationally. I just had to google him. I'm sure you've weighed up that the explanation of how they're similar obviously does get the point across, but for me, I got momentarily distracted by "In what way is he giving a delusional sense of absolution? Are you commenting on Christianity in general, or is it something this guy is doing specifically? What's he doing wrong? Who is he? I'd better google him" rather than just taking the point.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
It sucks and its hard.
Just dropped for a bit of procrastinating in the forum and I saw this thread.
I`ve been working on a SaaS for 2 years and 2 months now and we got hard proof about 3 months ago.
We`re up to 4 clients, already broke even, and the 5th one will probobly be signed in ~2 weeks.

While that should make me happy, it doesnt(yet?), because of how tensions have grown between me and my friends/colegues.
Its like the more traction we get with the platform, the angrier we get at each other.
I hope I`m not headed for another lesson...

D

Deleted74396

I'm 22 and even though I have fastlane plans, I can't pay my bills / buy good food / spend money on entertainment or leisure, and life is still horribly tough.

I understand the point, but I think some of these people see entrepreneurship through rose-tinted glasses.

Against my advice my boyfriend quit his low paid job (that paid the bills) to 'work for himself'. 5 months later he's realised entrepreneurship is very very tough and now he usually lays in bed all day depressed.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
What's wrong with Ramen noodles and bologna? :smile:

Heck, get some Ramen noodles, mix in some hot dog chili and put it on crackers.... good stuff....

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
Whenever it is ready and I get firm a date.

I know vague, but I don't like putting dates on things as it forces me to release something before it is truly ready.

Aiming for a "good" likely produces a mediocre. I aim for excellence, so then, the likely outcome is "good" ... if that makes any sense, lol.

You definitely hit excellence brother, that's for sure. Your prose is airtight and does justice to the weight of the ideas you convey. I'm eager to read what you next produce.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
What's wrong with Ramen noodles and bologna? :smile:

Heck, get some Ramen noodles, mix in some hot dog chili and put it on crackers.... good stuff....

Haha damn right. I eat clean, mostly. But the Mrs cannot fathom why I choose to "waste" cheat meals on ramen noodles with a cheese on top haha!

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I'm 22 and even though I have fastlane plans, I can't pay my bills / buy good food / spend money on entertainment or leisure, and life is still horribly tough.

I understand the point, but I think some of these people see entrepreneurship through rose-tinted glasses.

Against my advice my boyfriend quit his low paid job (that paid the bills) to 'work for himself'. 5 months later he's realised entrepreneurship is very very tough and now he usually lays in bed all day depressed.
It's ok to have a job AND pursue other things.

Hell, I'm looking for a job even though I have a 3-year-old business that is doing fine. I want to get paid to continue building skills I don't have and learning from others is the fastest way to do it.

At 22 I definitely didn't have enough knowledge or sharp enough skills to make it in my own business. I worked part-time at multiple jobs and learned a lot. I had a lot of fun too.

Jobs are not bad if the purpose of having a job aligns with your goals. Paying bills sure is important, but it's no excuse to not pursue your dreams.

The quote that started this post is by someone who has made a lot of excuses.

D

Deleted74396

It's ok to have a job AND pursue other things.

Hell, I'm looking for a job even though I have a 3-year-old business that is doing fine. I want to get paid to continue building skills I don't have and learning from others is the fastest way to do it.

At 22 I definitely didn't have enough knowledge or sharp enough skills to make it in my own business. I worked part-time at multiple jobs and learned a lot. I had a lot of fun too.

Jobs are not bad if the purpose of having a job aligns with your goals. Paying bills sure is important, but it's no excuse to not pursue your dreams.

The quote that started this post is by someone who has made a lot of excuses.

Yep I totally agree! My first steps into entrepreneurship were whilst I was studying full time (highschool) and I still managed to finish having made mid five figures, even with homework :rofl:

I just think if they have something that pays the bills, unless they're on high pay and have a nice amount of savings, lots of people would be better off getting started on their business (or whatever to start bringing in cash independently) a year before they quit their job, or even 4 or 5 months before they quit.

I was 3 months away from having my own 'proper' income again (I'm bootstrapping) last year when my partner quit his job, without a proper plan, without experience, and against advice. It's frustrating as I literally have to look for a crappy minimum wage job now (no experience except growing my own businesses, which isn't getting me far right now), and have been since November.

At the same time I'm forced to do sh*t online for scraps (e.g. signups, referrals, matched betting) just to pay the bills. Up until December when I had somewhat of an awakening I was struggling with severe depression and felt suicidal almost every day. Until mid-December I was selling stuff on eBay for around £3 an hour. I'm still struggling with the constant underlying stress of "YOU CANT PAY THE BILLS!!!!!!!!!!"

I watched my cousin do the same thing and lose the house his wife and children lived in after quitting his job to work on his 'passion project', and failing to bring in money after that failed. Moral of the story is, especially if you are supporting a partner or children, you should probably not quit your job before pursuing that thing you really want to do.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Dammm, life just happens. Reading quotes like that really gets me worried about the future sometimes. On the other hand, I know that most of us are giving it their best right now to improve their situation, so as long as we dont give up, theres no need for regret!

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019

Ha! I knew it. I knew u we're a girl. Because of ur username. Also something should me added to this forum to show if a person is a boy or girl cause I can't tell the difference

Sebzmaniac

Contributor
X MODERATED X
Nov 30, 2019
Yep I totally agree! My first steps into entrepreneurship were whilst I was studying full time (highschool) and I still managed to finish having made mid five figures, even with homework :rofl:

I just think if they have something that pays the bills, unless they're on high pay and have a nice amount of savings, lots of people would be better off getting started on their business (or whatever to start bringing in cash independently) a year before they quit their job, or even 4 or 5 months before they quit.

I was 3 months away from having my own 'proper' income again (I'm bootstrapping) last year when my partner quit his job, without a proper plan, without experience, and against advice. It's frustrating as I literally have to look for a crappy minimum wage job now (no experience except growing my own businesses, which isn't getting me far right now), and have been since November.

At the same time I'm forced to do sh*t online for scraps (e.g. signups, referrals, matched betting) just to pay the bills. Up until December when I had somewhat of an awakening I was struggling with severe depression and felt suicidal almost every day. Until mid-December I was selling stuff on eBay for around £3 an hour. I'm still struggling with the constant underlying stress of "YOU CANT PAY THE BILLS!!!!!!!!!!"

I watched my cousin do the same thing and lose the house his wife and children lived in after quitting his job to work on his 'passion project', and failing to bring in money after that failed. Moral of the story is, especially if you are supporting a partner or children, you should probably not quit your job before pursuing that thing you really want to do.
But what about mark Zuckerberg that dropped out of college and made billions

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
But what about mark Zuckerberg that dropped out of college and made billions
He didn’t make the billions right out of the park...it is simply valuation of the company, not actual cash. And I don’t think firms go from zero to billion even in a few months haha.

And he and his team started out living and working very spartan, and I remember he had some family helping out with stuff like chores.

Zuckerberg did have some advantages, but he still needed help and to work on it.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
He didn’t make the billions right out of the park...it is simply valuation of the company, not actual cash. And I don’t think firms go from zero to billion even in a few months haha.

And he and his team started out living and working very spartan, and I remember he had some family helping out with stuff like chores.

Zuckerberg did have some advantages, but he still needed help and to work on it.
He was also coding useful programs when he was like 5, so there's that...

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA

This part has always been confusing, because for me writing a solid fiction novel or screenplay would be meaningful work. Not easy of course. Would take a year, several outlines, and probably a lot of cold calls or blind submissions.

And even then there is not a single guarantee that I'll get anything optioned or purchased.

Which then makes me wonder "I want to stick to my strengths, but how does one find a market-centered approach to writing fiction?"

Selling info products online to folks about storytelling?
Creating a brand of some kind around a character for children? (recently considered this)
Being a story consultant?

Reading Millionaire Fastlane made me come to the realization that just because I was passionate about something. Doesn't mean it would ultimately be something that I could make a living with.

But even after a year and a half to two years I still find myself coming back to considering this.

Probably because I've never really given it a real try.

But now it just feels like trying is wasted potential on whatever else I could be doing instead.

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
This part has always been confusing, because for me writing a solid fiction novel or screenplay would be meaningful work. Not easy of course. Would take a year, several outlines, and probably a lot of cold calls or blind submissions.

And even then there is not a single guarantee that I'll get anything optioned or purchased.

Which then makes me wonder "I want to stick to my strengths, but how does one find a market-centered approach to writing fiction?"

Creating a brand of some kind around a character for children? (recently considered this)

Reading Millionaire Fastlane made me come to the realization that just because I was passionate about something. Doesn't mean it would ultimately be something that I could make a living with.

But even after a year and a half to two years I still find myself coming back to considering this.

But now it just feels like trying is wasted potential on whatever else I could be doing instead.
Actually, fiction writing is a skillset that can translate into copywriting.

This trend with marketing continues to rise: descriptive business narratives. Most copywriting training doesn't talk about how to TRULY paint a picture.

Why is it important? Because every sale must first be pictured as being used by the user, before they commit to the sale.

If you dont agree, you're not paying attention to yourself. Even when buying sugar, you imagine using sugar on something.

Sorry to hijack, just wanted to give you a bit of motivation.

Respectfully,
The Little Known Copywriting Henchman

EsJay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 27, 2018
FL
Thanks for posting this

I can relate to this to a level where it feels like I wrote this...So many times I feel stuck, frustrated with no way out. I had a chance 2 years back when I first joined this forum, I even started on right track but then left in between...Its only after my own FTE moment, I am back to make it work this time...no is not an option.

bdb

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Nov 24, 2018

At the risk of going against the grain, to me passion is the same as your strengths. You are good at what you are passionate about. Most billionaires were passionate about their work, it started with their interests or passions and then it followed from there, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs all had passion about what they did since they were very young.

Taken Elon Musk, he is passionate about tech and solving humanity's biggest problems, Payments, AI, self driving cars, planet colonization, energy, etc. Do you see him opening supermarkets or retail stores ? no, thats not where his passion lies in. He almost went bankrupt many times but he kept at it throughout the years.

You cannot excel at something you are not passionate about unless you do it for the money and even then someone else with more drive and passion will crush you at some point. I think there's a difference between blindly following your passion vs intelligently and methodically setting up businesses around what you are interested in.

As Jonathan mentioned, copywriting could be a perfect fit for someone who is passionate about fiction writing, in addition to that you can:

• Write short story books for children, pay an artist to draw the art and you provide the story.
  • Teach other people how to write fiction novels, create a multi part course that you can sell through your site or other sites like Udemy, I personally would love to learn how to do that.
  • Create a hub/site for writers that you can advertise through your books or videos
  • Open an Instagram/Twitter account where you post short stories every few days and maybe review other stories
  • Open a youtube account where you talk about writing, the process, how to be an effective copywriter, make sure to post every few days
  • Create a piece of software to ease the process of writing fiction stories or screenplays
You can see how all these activities are related to what your passion or strengths are all about which is writing fiction.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.