The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reading TMF not sure where to begin

JamesCasterlin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 21, 2019
St Paul , Minnesota
Hello folks. I'm new here to TFLF and looking for advice honestly on how to start off by switching my mindset from focusing on money to adding value. I'm a 51 year old guy with no formal education beyond high school and have spent the last twenty plus years mostly working jobs in call centers , customer service, or both. For the last three months I have been working a steady gig with a day labor company but had my FTE last Monday when I was working a drill press and the the drill bit decided to to grab the glove I was wearing and try to rip my right hand off. My hand is fine outside of some heavy bruising and being scratched up all to hell. That and the almost four hours in daily commute time is just unbearable.
This week I have two interviews coming up for better paying positions that offer benefits so my disabled wife and I can get back on the much needed medications we have been going without for almost the last year.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A Tiny island down the ocean (Ceylon)
Hello folks. I'm new here to TFLF and looking for advice honestly on how to start off by switching my mindset from focusing on money to adding value. I'm a 51 year old guy with no formal education beyond high school and have spent the last twenty plus years mostly working jobs in call centers , customer service, or both. For the last three months I have been working a steady gig with a day labor company but had my FTE last Monday when I was working a drill press and the the drill bit decided to to grab the glove I was wearing and try to rip my right hand off. My hand is fine outside of some heavy bruising and being scratched up all to hell. That and the almost four hours in daily commute time is just unbearable.
This week I have two interviews coming up for better paying positions that offer benefits so my disabled wife and I can get back on the much needed medications we have been going without for almost the last year.

Welcome to the forum.

Don't try to be perfect at the start. You just need to start doing something! Start doing something towards a definite goal. You have the knowledge of fastlane. Now go ahead and apply it!

1. Don't you know anything that bothers the people that work in your industry? There should be something.

It's all a mindset. It's really not hard. What you need is intensity and consistency in your actions. Taking action is all that matters.

All the best.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
It's all a mindset. It's really not hard. What you need is intensity and consistency in your actions. Taking action is all that matters.

Don't try to be perfect at the start. You just need to start doing something! Start doing something towards a definite goal.

It may sound like a simple suggestion, but this really is true. When your mindset is right, it's all much more clear and everything makes a lot more sense. And nothing really happens until you start taking action. If you will, you'll learn so fast about business that it will make your head spin, in a good way of course! And the ideas fill flow out of you. Anyways, welcome to the forum. I hope your hand will be better soon!

Best wishes from Estonia.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome aboard, and thanks for sharing your story.

1) Get those better jobs and get the medication you need. Top priority.

2) Read the gold threads on product sales and start noodling on how you can modify something and sell it on Amazon. It sounds like you also work with your hands (hence the drill press accident) so try to keep your eyes peeled for opportunities where you can add non trivial value to something people are already buying. Biophase has some threads in here that basically lay out the entire process, so those should be your guide.

Good luck.

Mball

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 11, 2019
Welcome! As lowtek said, concentrate on getting the better job and taking care of you and your wife. Simultaneously, really think about things you are familiar with and that cause frustration and figure out how to improve upon it. Being new myself, I have found the more I am looking for ideas, the more are popping into my head at all different times so be sure to take notes in your phone or paper to remember them. Block off a certain amount of time every week that you allocate to research, reading Unscripted if you haven't done so, searching this forum, and exploring your ideas. Once you find that idea, as others stated, take action. That's the key.
Best of luck with your journey!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum.

As for getting started, think big, but start small. Put a few small wins under your belt and go from there. Could be as simple as buying something cheap, painting or refinishing it, and selling it for a 20% profit. Small wins, getting acclimated to swinging the bat. Bottomline, be market-centered in your approach and be led by the solutions/value you seek to distribute.

Good luck.

Jesse Harris

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Jan 11, 2020
Reading your story, here is what I see:
I see someone with great communication skills from your call center experience, someone is not afraid to talk to strangers. I see someone who is not afraid of hard work or dangerous work. With your wife situation in mind, I see someone who possesses dedication and commitment.

While I don't see leadership skills reflected in such a short glimpse into your life, I can only imagine you have acquired the basics over the years. I would look for some kind of job where you are the lead or shift supervisor, where the grunts are not known for being good with people. Here is where you can shine because you are strong and capable, to get the crew to follow you, but you can also talk to customers and represent the company. You might also throw a little sales in there.

Jumping from the sidewalk to the fastlane is hard, near impossible if people are depending on you. Instead I would try to get into the slowlane, catch your breath, and decide what path you WANT to take to the fastlane. Having even $1,000 as an accelerator for your push into the fast lane, and knowing you aren't risking the well-bring of your family, is increasing your odds for success.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...