The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to make money on giving away product to celebrities?

santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 20, 2007
Hi,

How do you go about capitalizing off celebrities using your product? Any ideas?

Here are two scenarios that I have with two different businesses that I have..

1. Was invited to "Fashion Week" in LA. We were in a booth with a major fashion company and encountered lots of celebrities and celebrity magazines (OK, People, etc). We were encouraged to give away the product at the show.. Also, we've been asked to provide product to put in the Oscar's gift baskets. So..celebrities have our product, but how do we capitalize on this?

2. I have a service company that provides a service that celebrities use from time to time (most of our clients are general public). This is simpler, they are paying, but how would we go about capitalizing on a known person using our service? They are simply paying customers, not necessarily endorsing.

Thoughts??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Hi,

How do you go about capitalizing off celebrities using your product? Any ideas?

Here are two scenarios that I have with two different businesses that I have..

1. Was invited to "Fashion Week" in LA. We were in a booth with a major fashion company and encountered lots of celebrities and celebrity magazines (OK, People, etc). We were encouraged to give away the product at the show.. Also, we've been asked to provide product to put in the Oscar's gift baskets. So..celebrities have our product, but how do we capitalize on this?

2. I have a service company that provides a service that celebrities use from time to time (most of our clients are general public). This is simpler, they are paying, but how would we go about capitalizing on a known person using our service? They are simply paying customers, not necessarily endorsing.

Thoughts??

Go to the general public directly and offer free test offers in return for them signing up for your opt-in maillist (a list you then use to send out future product/service launches/offers). These "freebies" works" well in pressreleases, because they have a news value. The value is "Freebie". Who doesn't like freebies:) (I suddenly come to think of Leonardo Di Caprio's line in the The Aviator movie: "who doesn't like titties?..hehe)?

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
To be honest, I'm not too sure about number 2, but your first point, about giving a good away (if you were invited to fashion week, I am assuming its clothing), you are giving your product away to celebrities with the hope that they will wear it--either to an event or just photographed wearing it. Since celebrities are trend-setters, if they are seen wearing your product, people will flock to purchase the garment. A great example is Paris Hilton wearing UGG Boots. The boots became instantly popular after she was seen wearing them.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't know how fashion and celebrities work but in the music industry you sponsor(give it to them for free) artists to use your products. Then you have photo shoots of them with the product and get action shots of them using your product. You have press releases saying that guitar legend A uses your strings or pre-amp with corresponding photos and you have an Artist page on your website showing which artists use your product. Here are some examples: Boulder Creek Guitar , GHS Strings, Gibson Dobro.

I would think the same could apply to fashion and celebrities. Put out a press release that your products have been featured in OK! or People or as part of this year's Oscar's giveaway bags. Search for photos of celebrities that you have given product to, showing them using the product, if possible.

Added bonus if the celebrity really loves your stuff and mentions it in the press but it's your responsibility to leverage the exposure. You can't rely on the celebrity just having your stuff as a way to promote it.

santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the response!

The connecting the dots between person A wearing our product and then the consumer finding our product is the problem. We are a new product, so consumers wouldn't know how to find us. Our relationship isn't that we sponsor the person, so I don't think we can suddenly send out a press release saying "person a" wears our stuff..

I'll take a look at the examples you guys mentioned and see how they did it.

Thanks again, the help is huge..!

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If they show up in photos wearing your items, that's a plus. The only problem is that you don't own the photo (if you didn't take it) and you'll have to buy the photo from the photographer or his/her representative.

If you give them your items and arrange a photo session at the same time, you'll own the photos.

What are you selling?

P.S. Many celebrities love free stuff. Some celebrities feel they are owed this. In other words, they feel that they should be entitled to your item for free since they are a celebrity. I'm not gonna name names but I once had a disagreement with a celebrity who thought she should be able to buy a 1 carat diamond ring for virtually nothing because of, well, she was who she was. And, because we were who we were, we refused.

StaryHoly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 17, 2009
Hmm, it may work for branding purposes or you have a large caps to work on like the fortune 500 but personally for a small business owner, I would not bother. It is just costly unless your business is about selling fashion or big consumer electronics products. Otherwise why waste your money?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.