The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Heart Disease Sucks

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that heart disease is the number one cause of death for both men and women in the United States (1).

Heart disease is an umbrella term that includes a multitude of diseases, including coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, myocardial infarction ("heart attack"), and so on. Among the numerous heart diseases, coronary artery disease is, by far, the most common heart disease resulting in deaths.

Coronary artery disease is the build up of plaque (you can think of plaque as an accumulation of fat molecules) on the walls of the coronary artery, an extremely important blood vessel that the heart uses to pump blood with oxygen back to itself so the heart can continue living (2).

Eventually, bloodflow through the coronary artery wall significantly or completely stops depending on how much plaque build up is within the blood vessel. With diminished bloodflow through the coronary artery, the heart receives less oxygen riched blood, resulting in the development of diseases such as myocardial infarction (heart attack), congestive heart failure (heart muscles unable to pump blood effectively throughout the body), angina (chest pain), shortness of breath, stroke (brain tissue death from lack of blood flow to brain tissue).

You may be struggling with coronary artery disease. Perhaps you know somebody else struggling with the disease. If you know somebody with a history of heart attacks, then it most likely was from coronary artery disease. If you know somebody with a history of stroke, then it most likely was from coronary artery disease. If you know somebody on hospice for end stage congestive heart failure, then it is probably from coronary artery disease.

Heart disease sucks. Coronary artery disease sucks even more because it is the most common heart disease resulting in deaths.

Thus, I am making a progress thread on my journey in finding ways to combat and make a dent on a very real problem. A problem that causes incredible physical and mental suffering for people with the diseases and those who love them.

I want to beat the hell out of coronary artery disease. What better way to do it than address the risk factors that can be controlled by people: smoking, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol (3).

Since people of all backgrounds (the rich, the poor, workers in all occupations, people of all ages) struggle with the disease, the solutions are as numerous and unique as all the total number of unique people affected by coronary artery disease.

The scope of need is vast. I will need to niche down because I am a one-man team right now. I am niching down to a less one specific population:

Adults who are 30 years old or older, has an active problem of high cholesterol, lives a sedentary lifestyle, eats out frequently (more than three times a week), and has health insurance. I am sure I can niche down even more, but I'll let the market tell me if I am wrong or right. Note that I am using my personal experience to know who needs help.

Ten ideas I have to help the aforementioned specific population overcome coronary artery disease:

1) Accountability partner. Would it be statistically significant if someone gets mentored by a nurse at least once on a weekly basis on overcoming the challenges of adopting healthier lifestyle changes?

2) Support groups. Would it make a difference for people if they knew others struggle with the same issue as they are and are able to talk about the issue with others?

3) Build awareness. Would people change their lifestyle to prevent or decrease the impact of coronary artery disease if they simply knew more about it?

4) Behavioral change program. Would people find it easier to do what it takes to overcome the disease if they had access to affordable trained therapists to change their behaviors?

5) Get active program. If people has access to affordable, fun programs to increase their activity level, would they do it?

6) Eat better program. Similarly, would people eat better if they knew how to cook quick, fast delicious meals? Or would they be open to have meals delivered to them that's good for their heart?

7) Medication compliance. Would people benefit from a trained professional to remind them of taking medications, setting up medications in pillbox, ordering/delivering medications, etcetera on a weekly basis?

8) Carbohydrate fasting sites. Excessive carbohydrate intake can increase high cholesterol. Would people use services/places where people are actively encouraged to practice intermittent fasting, abstaining from high sugar food, etc?

9) Impacting a culture. Would people feel compelled to act if their culture was changed to "we must take care of our heart, our health, it is a priority"? Culture can be impacted by doing campaigns similar to American heart association.

10) Legacy movements. What if I lead a movement promoting human dignity? Would people join me and be more likely to take care of themselves due to feeling of "belonging to a tribe"?

These ideas are not meant to be specific. They are starting points for me. My first task:

Go door to door, join some FB groups, and ask people what they think about the problem and the solutions I have in mind. Once I get more data, I'll make a basic prototype of the solution and see what the market thinks about it.

I have a feeling people will be opened to a support group with an activity and nutritional program coupled with medical management.

Let's see what happens. Andy Black inspired me to make this thread. I will report my findings next week.

References:

(1) Heart Disease Facts & Statistics | cdc.gov
(2) Coronary Artery Disease: Causes, Diagonosis & Prevention| cdc.gov
(3) Heart Disease Risk Factors | cdc.gov

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
300-450 min of exercise per week will surely help.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
I hope you do great with this project!
Good luck getting your data

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure @MJ DeMarco can talk more on this but that video nails it. Switching to a proper diet, which unfortunately for some its vegan, can help to reverse that to some degree along with medications if warranted. I'm am actually at the point of thinking that I may need to go vegan, but it sucks since the brand I am trying to build is all about being a foodie and going out to eat different types of foods.

D

DeletedUser0287

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that heart disease is the number one cause of death for both men and women in the United States (1).

Heart disease is an umbrella term that includes a multitude of diseases, including coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, myocardial infarction ("heart attack"), and so on. Among the numerous heart diseases, coronary artery disease is, by far, the most common heart disease resulting in deaths.

Coronary artery disease is the build up of plaque (you can think of plaque as an accumulation of fat molecules) on the walls of the coronary artery, an extremely important blood vessel that the heart uses to pump blood with oxygen back to itself so the heart can continue living (2).

Eventually, bloodflow through the coronary artery wall significantly or completely stops depending on how much plaque build up is within the blood vessel. With diminished bloodflow through the coronary artery, the heart receives less oxygen riched blood, resulting in the development of diseases such as myocardial infarction (heart attack), congestive heart failure (heart muscles unable to pump blood effectively throughout the body), angina (chest pain), shortness of breath, stroke (brain tissue death from lack of blood flow to brain tissue).

You may be struggling with coronary artery disease. Perhaps you know somebody else struggling with the disease. If you know somebody with a history of heart attacks, then it most likely was from coronary artery disease. If you know somebody with a history of stroke, then it most likely was from coronary artery disease. If you know somebody on hospice for end stage congestive heart failure, then it is probably from coronary artery disease.

Heart disease sucks. Coronary artery disease sucks even more because it is the most common heart disease resulting in deaths.

Thus, I am making a progress thread on my journey in finding ways to combat and make a dent on a very real problem. A problem that causes incredible physical and mental suffering for people with the diseases and those who love them.

I want to beat the hell out of coronary artery disease. What better way to do it than address the risk factors that can be controlled by people: smoking, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol (3).

Since people of all backgrounds (the rich, the poor, workers in all occupations, people of all ages) struggle with the disease, the solutions are as numerous and unique as all the total number of unique people affected by coronary artery disease.

The scope of need is vast. I will need to niche down because I am a one-man team right now. I am niching down to a less one specific population:

Adults who are 30 years old or older, has an active problem of high cholesterol, lives a sedentary lifestyle, eats out frequently (more than three times a week), and has health insurance. I am sure I can niche down even more, but I'll let the market tell me if I am wrong or right. Note that I am using my personal experience to know who needs help.

Ten ideas I have to help the aforementioned specific population overcome coronary artery disease:

1) Accountability partner. Would it be statistically significant if someone gets mentored by a nurse at least once on a weekly basis on overcoming the challenges of adopting healthier lifestyle changes?

2) Support groups. Would it make a difference for people if they knew others struggle with the same issue as they are and are able to talk about the issue with others?

3) Build awareness. Would people change their lifestyle to prevent or decrease the impact of coronary artery disease if they simply knew more about it?

4) Behavioral change program. Would people find it easier to do what it takes to overcome the disease if they had access to affordable trained therapists to change their behaviors?

5) Get active program. If people has access to affordable, fun programs to increase their activity level, would they do it?

6) Eat better program. Similarly, would people eat better if they knew how to cook quick, fast delicious meals? Or would they be open to have meals delivered to them that's good for their heart?

7) Medication compliance. Would people benefit from a trained professional to remind them of taking medications, setting up medications in pillbox, ordering/delivering medications, etcetera on a weekly basis?

8) Carbohydrate fasting sites. Excessive carbohydrate intake can increase high cholesterol. Would people use services/places where people are actively encouraged to practice intermittent fasting, abstaining from high sugar food, etc?

9) Impacting a culture. Would people feel compelled to act if their culture was changed to "we must take care of our heart, our health, it is a priority"? Culture can be impacted by doing campaigns similar to American heart association.

10) Legacy movements. What if I lead a movement promoting human dignity? Would people join me and be more likely to take care of themselves due to feeling of "belonging to a tribe"?

These ideas are not meant to be specific. They are starting points for me. My first task:

Go door to door, join some FB groups, and ask people what they think about the problem and the solutions I have in mind. Once I get more data, I'll make a basic prototype of the solution and see what the market thinks about it.

I have a feeling people will be opened to a support group with an activity and nutritional program coupled with medical management.

Let's see what happens. Andy Black inspired me to make this thread. I will report my findings next week.

References:

Go Keto, I believe it is a myth that high cholesterol is associated with heart disease.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Go Keto, I believe it is a myth that high cholesterol is associated with heart disease.

Science has backed down on deeming saturated fats as the culprit, but meat still has inflammatory proteins while plant-based diets have more antioxidant and anti-inflammatory proteins as well as cholesterol lowering sterols.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
Interesting post because I just saw “What the Health” on Netflix...for what it’s worth, I would watch it.

I won’t get in to it, but it you may have some take-a-ways.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Too many theories on these. I have to say I am confused. Go vegan? Go atkin? Sugar is bad?

Maintaining healthy weight with calories limit is one that I practice and believe in. I am fairly agnostic on nutrition composition. Just too many competing theories with no clear research evidence supporting anyone.

D

DeletedUser0287

Science has backed down on deeming saturated fats as the culprit, but meat still has inflammatory proteins while plant-based diets have more antioxidant and anti-inflammatory proteins as well as cholesterol lowering sterols.

Keto is only moderate protein, so it wouldn’t be any more than a regular person eats. I gotta find the studies, where cholesterol is not associated with heart disease.

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
No single diet works best for everyone.

Keto diet is low in carbs, rich in protein, and fats (both healthy and unhealthy fats). Many people lose weight due to a net decrease in calorie intake from feeling fuller on a high protein and fat diet and not eating as much carbs.

For some people, when they transitioned to keto from a high carb diet, their hormones also change. For example, an excessively high carb diet is associated with high insulin usage (the hormone that pulls blood sugar into cells). Over time, high insulin usage causes cells in your pancreas to work less effectively, resulting in ineffective secretions in and usage of insulin by the body.

This, ultimately, makes you feel hungry all the time since insulin isn't working as effectively as it can to allow blood sugar into the cells. So people just keep eating more and more to feel full.

That is why many people just keep eating more and more while on an excessively high carb diet, which isn't good since the excess energy gets converted into fat, contributing to high cholesterol.

With that said, there are folks who might not be a good candidate to be on a keto diet, e.g. people with injured kidneys since their body cannot get rid of excess protein in the blood, if needed, from a high protein diet.

Other posters have mentioned about veganism. Yes, it can help reduce blood cholesterol, but there are some people who shouldn't eat a strict vegan diet, e.g. diseases of the intestine that makes processing fiber extremely difficult, which can result in severe constipation; diseases of the blood, such as anemia, since many vegans need to consider the potential nutritional deficiencies of a plant-based diet; or diseases of the immune system, such as suppression of the immune system, since many vegan dishes have a lot of raw ingredients that, if not cooked properly, can result in bacterial infection of the blood in some cases.

There are so many factors and variables to consider before telling someone a certain diet will help him or her with coronary artery disease.

thefakejew

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 23, 2019
Southern California
I am fairly well informed upon this subject and can try and help if possible. One thing that most dieters will agree with is that vegetable/seed oils are toxic and are a direct cause for heart disease. You may be able to push forward an agenda or a movement under an organization with the purpose of eliminating vegetable/seed oils in commercial use and heavily influencing the reduction of, or entirely eliminating the personal use of vegetable/seed oils. I believe something of this sort would work. Please tell me what you think.

D

DeletedUser0287

I am fairly well informed upon this subject and can try and help if possible. One thing that most dieters will agree with is that vegetable/seed oils are toxic and are a direct cause for heart disease. You may be able to push forward an agenda or a movement under an organization with the purpose of eliminating vegetable/seed oils in commercial use and heavily influencing the reduction of, or entirely eliminating the personal use of vegetable/seed oils. I believe something of this sort would work. Please tell me what you think.

Funny thing on these vegetable oils that label “heart healthy” Total BS.

Apparently McDonald’s use to fry their stuff in Beef Tallow, the good stuff. Then with all the BS in nutrition they switched to vegetable oil

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

References:

Cool category to attack!

I am excited to see what is next. This is truly providing value.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Heart disease is a lifestyle disease. Changing someone's lifestyle is hard.

The best behavior change strategies involve:
  • Changing someone's environment
  • Changing someone's friends/network
  • Making the lifestyle changes as small as possible, and
  • Creating some sort of accountability
There are benefits to being Vegan and benefits to doing Carnivore. As well as everything in between.

The only things we know for sure:
  • Sugars are generally bad. Especially sucrose and high fructose corn syrup.
  • Trans fat are bad. Except maybe CLA.
  • The best diet is the one you can adhere to.
  • Environment is key.
  • Your family/friends/network are key.
The one strategy that everyone can add to their lifestyle is Intermittent Fasting. It's diet agnostic.

Consider reading Eat Stop Eat.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Maybe building awareness (of all the things mentioned; diet; exercise;fasting etc.) is the most effective method but the question is HOW? Youtube is packed with valuable information yet clearly still no one gives a shit.

Pfff, plenty people have tried. Look at Jamie Oliver's TV program trying to inspire healthy eating at schools. Makes me so sad inside when everyone has this fleeting moment of Yey!! Healthy!! Oh wait healthy is expensive!! Oh healthy takes effort!! Ah screw healthy, where is my twinkie, pass me the remote control!!

Would this even help?
Awareness for Doctors: They are no longer up to date with advice and more likely hand out pills than focus on diet or exercise techniques.

Awareness for schools: teaching children specifically about nutritional science and the impacts of exercise and food on the body in more detail (affects on hormones, fat etc.) and how to read the lables on your processed food.

Awareness for governments: Warning stickers on unhealthy foods like on cigarettes, banning of sugar in schools, higher quality ready meals. Banning of certain sweeteners (e.g. Maltitol which spikes your insulin levels nearly as much normal sugar thus resulting in hypoglycemia, in the long term blocked insulin response - diabetes. Yeah but its sugar free I thought it was safe! Or Sucralose or Splenda that poisons your gut bacteria inhibiting nutrient adsorption)

Politics: Problem is no body who gives a shit is in a position to make radical change. Otherwise these problem foods and lack of healthy habits would have been solved long ago.

Bubble Bursting: Nobody Gives a Shit About You Rule:
(apart from direct family & friends... and even then...why is daddy so fat mummy?)

Only "You" can change for yourself. The world needs someone to hammer that message direct down mine and your throat so that it reaches every individual person.
Most people live in an invincibility bubble mind set until the day comes when we are faced with the truth - You Are Going to F*cking Die Sweet Cheeks! Pop goes the bubble!
Sometimes it is just too late for people, and other times its fortunately not.
These survivors are the disciples of clean living and health and they need to be the advocates like you @NursingTn .

The trick is, how to develop a trigger point that inspires people snap out of this false dream where they take action before being faced with imminent death.

In my experience it is always through leading by example, where others have inspired me and yet I have seen change in others when I transformed from an unhealthy overweight slob, to much healthier, lean and attractive human specimen. I see my colleagues now reducing carb intake, drinking less alcohol, and picking up a salad in favor of the other delicious fried foods in the kantine. I never once lectured them or said anything, they just witnessed the process of positive change and wanted it for themselves.

D

DeletedUser0287

What do you guys think of this?
It seems that ever since they enacted the low-fat guidelines. Obesity has been rising, but then again lots of things have been changing. Coincidence? Obesity is a risk factor for heart disease.

Lol, don’t follow the food pyramid.

Farmers fatten up animals quicker by feeding them carbs and it is more economical. The way I view it carbs are a quick and cheap way to feed people and make you fat.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina

View attachment 26735

The problem acording to doctor Collin T Campbell from Cornell University, is that we think of food as carbs, fat, or protein, when in fact food is much more complex than an isolated substance.

That kind of perspective can make people think they shuould avoid avocados or nuts because they are fat, but a light soda or light cheese or low fat meat is ok. We loose the sight of food as something complex, a symphony of compounds. We seek high protein diet, low carb diet, low fat diet. None of those things are a food in itself.

I think science is clear about the vegan diet being the best for preventing the current top killer diseases; the problem is the billion dolar industrie(s) funding the "good news about your bad habits" kind of "scientific" papers... The tabaco industry did it too...

This is a great place to find evidence based nutrition advice: www.nutritionfacts.org

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
One of the main problems is that you don't know how clogged your arteries are until its too late. Develop some kind of system to tell people "you have 70% blockage right now and at your current rate you have 10 years before it closes up". That will jolt people to fix themselves.

D

DeletedUser0287

The problem acording to doctor Collin T Campbell from Cornell University, is that we think of food as carbs, fat, or protein, when in fact food is much more complex than an isolated substance.

That kind of perspective can make people think they shuould avoid avocados or nuts because they are fat, but a light soda or light cheese or low fat meat is ok. We loose the sight of food as something complex, a symphony of compounds. We seek high protein diet, low carb diet, low fat diet. None of those things are a food in itself.

I think science is clear about the vegan diet being the best for preventing the current top killer diseases; the problem is the billion dolar industrie(s) funding the "good news about your bad habits" kind of "scientific" papers... The tabaco industry did it too...

This is a great place to find evidence based nutrition advice: www.nutritionfacts.org

Really Vegan? Based on the little I know about it, it seems to be a diet with the main drawback of nutritional deficiency. You have to compensate so much to get all your nutrients. A part of the population going on a vegan diet is philosophical. Meaning, people will go on the diet because they "love animals." Which has nothing to do with human health/science.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
One of the main problems is that you don't know how clogged your arteries are until its too late.

Carotid-IMT scan can tell you right now. It's a simple, 10-minute ultrasound of the main arteries in your neck. It's not 100% accurate, but you'll get a fairly good estimate in a very fast turnaround.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Really Vegan? Based on the little I know about it, it seems

Really, vegan. For more info check out www.nutritionfacts.org .

About the deficiency: the only suplement you need on a vegan diet is vitamine b12, wich in a animal eating diet you don't need, because the b12 was already suplemented to the animal. Literally every other nutrient you can get from plants. If you don't belive me try this nutrition tracking website www.cronometer.com

People can do a vegan diet and eat only oreos and coca cola, that's not gonna be healthy. The disease reversing diet is whole foods plant based diet done well.
By disease reverting I mean studys showing diabetics to stop needing insulin, arteris unclogging, even other diseases like psoriasis and arthritis can go away as well.

Anyway i don't want to hijack this thread. I just think the solution to the problem might be known already, it's just that the public is unaware and there is proactive desinformation too.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
For what it's worth just finished a book called "How to move, eat, and be healthy" by Paul Chek. He did touch on an interesting idea of different diets being suitable for whichever region of the world your ancestors come from. For example tropical regions can eat lots of fruit/sugar, where as northerners would be better off on a high protein/fat diet.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
I'm sure @MJ DeMarco can talk more on this but that video nails it. Switching to a proper diet, which unfortunately for some its vegan, can help to reverse that to some degree along with medications if warranted. I'm am actually at the point of thinking that I may need to go vegan, but it sucks since the brand I am trying to build is all about being a foodie and going out to eat different types of foods.
If you do keyword searches you will find studies showing that vegans are in worse health than omnivores, all things considered.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
If you do keyword searches you will find studies showing that vegans are in worse health than omnivores, all things considered.

Sure vegans do need to supplement things like B vitamins since its mainly found in meat. I can't say that vegans are the end all be all diet, but for some people it may be a good switch at least temporarily. I think meat is ok in small doses. We honestly should be eating a drastically small portion of meat on a weekly basis. There was a TED talk on the weekly portions of meat and it was like 2lbs or something.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
What a great mission. Good luck to you.

I hope this feedback can help you focus your work and select performance measures with some permanent traction.
Your approach is so broad you are at risk of re-inventing the wheel.
Items 1-8 are big questions which are for the most part truly and thoroughly answered. These matters are very well researched, and in fact there are patient communities built around diagnostic and treatment research and medical experts. You can test this: add keyword combinations of patient compliance, nurse, patient education, disease management, and challenges to your keyword searches on arterial disease and cardiac infarction and you will pick up the scent on current physical wellbeing initiatives both communally and institutionally.

So are you really asking these questions as if they are unanswered, or are you thinking that the huge educational gulf between preventive medicine and what US people know about their health is a big problem that you want to take on? The solutions to heart disease exist, in other words, but we need a dose of patient education - does that make more sense? There is a heck of a lot of research on nurse consultations and patient compliance across a host of medical issues.

Here's a great, free shortcut to getting information on what's been accomplished. You don't have to buy a subscription to a science database. Ready for this?

How to find out what the heck is going on in an area of scientific research without having to slog through the the Internet of Fake Science News.

1. Go to Grants.gov
2. Pretend you are applying for a grant, and want to see what's available to fund you. You'll find your way to the grant search database.
3. Add keywords like arterial disease, nurse, patient compliance. Look at the grant programs.
4. Now look at the research grants that have been funded. Wait, you're not done yet. Look deeper, and you'll see a massive treasure trove of bibliographic data. It isn't randomized. The most important research will show up repeatedly. That's where you can get a thorough update on the state of the research on your questions. There are millions of primary research sources.
5. Don't be a masochist. Take 20-30 paper citations, not 300. Now go online and keyword search the principal authors and your topics. You'll get all the info you need, all the perspective on the issue that you need. You will probably find their contact info too. You can start to network. By the way you can save some steps by just going to nsf.gov or the less helpful nih.gov site to look at the database of funded research.
6. You're not done. Go to Amazon and do the same thing, only keyword search the same authors under books. Not grant opportunities.
7. Now you will find that Topics 1-8 are seriously covered, all questions answered. Notice how differently you peruse the books now. You needed to do the primary research step first, before going to Amazon. The reason is that all books are built upon agendas, upon authors' and publishers' values, and so books never present a clear, and unbiased or even complete picture of reality. So the question is, at that point, will you determine that your mission is patient education and health advocacy after all? Or are there unanswered questions remaining?
8. Items 9 and 10 are outrageously good. Especially 10. Consumers often default to sheep just waiting to be told what to do it. You can do nine by initializing a grassroots movement to get people to commit to changing their behavior as consumers. Then you naturally would create or rather nurture the creation of new tribes. That's a great mission. I hope you do it. Don't forget, the time is going to pass anyway.

By the way, once you have accomplished the initial steps it will be possible for you to find someone at a good local university branch or community college in your town that will be willing to hand you the status of research affiliate. You'll get access to scads of primary research at that point. Research on patient compliance and consumer behavior in health fields will fuel much of the journey.

A last thing. It is all too easy to escalate the sufferers of disease to extremes of anxiety and despair, as well as isolation. Health advocates and self-appointed health experts may create dramas that are just plain unhealthy for people with chronic illness, whether it is arterial disease or major depression. I hope you can present a completely different approach.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
But doesn't turmeric basically slay the inflammatory properties of these proteins? Ayurveda handles it? Asking for a friend.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Sure vegans do need to supplement things like B vitamins since its mainly found in meat. I can't say that vegans are the end all be all diet, but for some people it may be a good switch at least temporarily. I think meat is ok in small doses. We honestly should be eating a drastically small portion of meat on a weekly basis. There was a TED talk on the weekly portions of meat and it was like 2lbs or something.
I'm completely on board with this, in fact Matt Sun's posted video and your input are so right on I think I'll do a total dietary reboot immediately, even though my doctor said that my CAT scan showed that I have the arteries of a sixteen-year-old Masai hunter who jogs twenty miles a day barefoot. Not possible. There's no way a french-fry eater has healthy arteries.

EDIT/UPDATE: for what's worth to mention it here, this thread prompted me to look into vegan and reconsider keto (which I love) today and switch to vegan. Thanks for the education my friends.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Funny thing on these vegetable oils that label “heart healthy” Total BS.

Apparently McDonald’s use to fry their stuff in Beef Tallow, the good stuff. Then with all the BS in nutrition they switched to vegetable oil
The big lie is right in front of our faces. None of these "vegetable oils" are even vegetable based. We're being hypnotized to think "not meat so it's a vegetable ... so it's good for my health!" Last time I looked every single culinary oil labeled vegetable is from a seed or nut.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.