The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I bought another laundromat

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
My goal with this one is to do a lot of content specifically regards to buying underutilized property and using the internet and decent marketing techniques to significantly boost your business.

This place was making 9 to $10,000 before the last owner died. The last owner did no marketing whatsoever and just relied solely on foot traffic. I was able to get financing and everything with a paltry $15,000 down for this location. So based on a 50% margin oh, in two to three months I should recoup the entire investment.
For fun I'm doing the contest on my YouTube page to see who can guess how much money it will make on the first week.

View: https://youtu.be/_QLxjC5_uyE

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
Thanks for sharing! How many laundromats do you have now? Are there employees there? Do you go around and collect money and fix the machines and clean up or does someone do that for you?

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
Thanks for sharing! How many laundromats do you have now? Are there employees there? Do you go around and collect money and fix the machines and clean up or does someone do that for you?

Everything I do I try to automate it. So what I'm doing here is learning to do a lot of the low-level work myself and then training somebody while I learn it how they can do it as well. So as far as all of the minimal labor stuff somebody else can do. I likely will have somebody empty the change for the machines do all the cleaning things like that but for the first week of operation I will probably do about 75% of it. I have a full-time maintenance crew and a lot of people that I trust that currently work for me so finding the people to help will be relatively easy. I find that in a real General since I start to lose money when people that are underneath me do not have sufficient training. I'm really hoping for this business venture to be different

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Love it. My dad owned a laundromat / appliance repair shop. Many fond memories of cleaning the dryers and hunting for loose cash when I was young.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Please, ask for a new username: Mr. Jefferson.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
Love it. My dad owned a laundromat / appliance repair shop. Many fond memories of cleaning the dryers and hunting for loose cash when I was young.

I'm pretty excited about teardown on the machines from the 50s & 70s. I'm big into old coins and I hear that these kinds of machines are usually full of lost quarters.

Please, ask for a new username: Mr. Jefferson.

You're the 2nd or 3rd person to make mention of that.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
So far my plan with this location is to :

• Advertise via Facebook

• SEO my Laundromat website to be #1 on Google for the area

• Provide lit signage so people actually know the purpose of the location

• Run a "Bandit sign" campaign and (legally) place around 100 signs across town concerning the laundromat

• Bring in newer equipment with higher price points to give users more options

• Bring in an ATM

• Bring in vending machines

• Place vending machines on the exterior of the building, as the street has decent traffic.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW

The guy that works on the machines for me sometimes has his 5 year old granddaughter with him and when he takes apart a dryer she is excited for ICE CREAM money! I had my grandson take apart a dryer the other day just to give him a little experience on things like that and he found 5 house keys. I guess they were always losing their house key and thinking.... damn, where did it go now!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
So, has it been open or closed before you bought it?

I love that old screen door on the front.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
So, has it been open or closed before you bought it?

I love that old screen door on the front.

It's kind of a complicated story - Guy died about a year ago, his mom took over the laundromat and knew almost nothing about it. I made her an offer of $50k a year-ish ago. She went with the most established investor in town who owns dozens of million dollar properties. He couldn't deal with it as he was using his maintenance crew to do all the day-to-day workings of it which didn't work. He renovated part of it (The apartments) and sold it to me with financing in place for $85k w/ $15k down.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
How many hours per week are you anticipating being focused on it?

I saw one for sale near me recently and started thinking about the potential... Interested in followijng this thread.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
Today I learned that the former owner(s) never, ever, ever cleaned their coin mechanisms out.

Spent roughly a hour with a coat hanger fishing quarters out of the mechanisms. Made right about $94.

I asked my friend who owns about 100 rentals how much he'd want to make fishing quarters out of such machines with coat hangers and he said maybe $10/hr. So I felt I had a great day making ~$94/hr.

There's still more quarters in the machines, but i'm going to be more efficient tomorrow and use a shop vac.

Video!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqAtHpEn1g8

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California

• Advertise via Facebook

• Run a "Bandit sign" campaign and (legally) place around 100 signs across town concerning the laundromat

• Bring in an ATM

• Place vending machines on the exterior of the building, as the street has decent traffic.

Congrts. Lets see what she can do! This is a good plan... SEO and Facebook should yield great reach in the area.

Excited to see some good numbers. Have fun Brandon...

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
Many years ago I saw a laundromat for sale and thought about buying it. Didn't really have the cash, though. I just remember it said it made $72k/yr net income. I don't remember any other details.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Many years ago I saw a laundromat for sale and thought about buying it. Didn't really have the cash, though. I just remember it said it made $72k/yr net income. I don't remember any other details.

I had no idea they were that profitable. They're on my list now!

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
I've seen some where the owner had one employee and was clearing NET of over $300k/yr working 5 days a week (Employee was working weekends and part time through week).

They CAN be great money makers or they can be nightmares...like alot.

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
I've seen some where the owner had one employee and was clearing NET of over $300k/yr working 5 days a week (Employee was working weekends and part time through week).

They CAN be great money makers or they can be nightmares...like alot.

Shoot, at that point why not hire a full-time manager at $45k/year and make $255k working 0 days/week?!

Ragnar_

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
May 13, 2019
Florida
I really like this business idea. On a side note, I have visited several laundromats with card readers attached to the machines. All transactions are done through a 10 cent hotel room card you have to purchase for $5. (The quarter receptacle was replaced with a card reading device on some older machines.)

A lot of times when I was visiting a laundromat in a different city this was an expense I was willing to incur in order to not have to drive around to find another. I also believe an initial investment such as that increases buy-in and convenience for the customer. Once I paid that $5 for the card, I wasn't going to go anywhere else! Plus I hate having to pull out a $20 bill and then breaking it further to $5's or $10's. It gave that business a sense of superiority over its competition in my opinion.

Might be worth doing a CBA on the technology, or visiting a laundromat with that feature! I love the idea of making the first customer visit to around ~$20 per person and instituting a subscription-esque service.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

• Advertise via Facebook

• Bring in an ATM

I’m curious why no Google (paid search) Ads?

Nice video later on. Short, to the point, but still compelling (who doesn’t want to watch a video diary of a business starting up?).

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Let me know if you need any SEO tips. I work in SEO and get give you some feedback here if you want to post your website!

I'm interested in your journey. Good luck!

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
sold it to me with financing in place for $85k w/ $15k down.
ah Ha! This is exactly the kind of info I'd like to learn about.

"Finding and Funding" is something I've never had to learn about, but I hope it'll be a nice problem to have for me someday.
My grandparents ran a rental property empire in Florida where they found properties (strip malls, restaurant space, homes, etc) purchased them and rented them out. I knew they weren't paying cash for everything, but how much they were having to put down was a mystery to me. I'm guessing a good relationship with a local bank was part of it.

Following along! Looks like you are already improving things

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
ah Ha! This is exactly the kind of info I'd like to learn about.

"Finding and Funding" is something I've never had to learn about, but I hope it'll be a nice problem to have for me someday.
My grandparents ran a rental property empire in Florida where they found properties (strip malls, restaurant space, homes, etc) purchased them and rented them out. I knew they weren't paying cash for everything, but how much they were having to put down was a mystery to me. I'm guessing a good relationship with a local bank was part of it.

Following along! Looks like you are already improving things

I was curious about this, too. So I looked it up quickly this morning. Looks like small business loans can be had for as little as 10% down, and half of that can come from the seller's note. Of course this all depends on the specifics of the business and what kind of cash flow it has, I'm sure.

DURABLEOILCOM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 25, 2012
How much does it costs to start a laundromat? Are they still a good business to invest in? How much profit are you generating each month after all overhead is paid?

mec64

Cybersecurity. Buying websites that earn.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 9, 2015
@BrandonS85 you have opened my eyes to a new world. :)

I'll be visiting a small, neglected laundromat this weekend to hopefully work out a deal with the absentee owner. Any advice on what to look for in a good laundromat deal?

Can't wait for the next update from your journey.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
@G-Man looks like I was wrong about the whole laundromat thing!

@BrandonS85 definitely following this thread. Very interesting stuff.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
A lot of times when I was visiting a laundromat in a different city this was an expense I was willing to incur in order to not have to drive around to find another. I also believe an initial investment such as that increases buy-in and convenience for the customer. Once I paid that $5 for the card, I wasn't going to go anywhere else! Plus I hate having to pull out a $20 bill and then breaking it further to $5's or $10's. It gave that business a sense of superiority over its competition in my opinion.
Brilliant idea, IMHO. But believe you'll need to keep some coin options available depending on location. This should also allow a future customer loyalty program to further lock folks in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.