The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Thank you for your interest in joining Upwork. We have reviewed your application to join, and regret to inform you that we are unable to accept your Upwork freelancer registration at this time.
Please do not consider this a reflection of your abilities [...]

Great.

I followed the guide. Nice photo, single skill (Full-stack NodeJS/React developer), me focused. I checked grammar and spelling. I wonder whether the title was a bit too long? Or maybe I messed up with the profile description, as it was a bit longer than your example. Everything was still related to the main skill, but maybe I should have kept it shorter. I'm not sure, they just send the same template email and there is no way to figure out.

I'll try again next week.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
Spent 2 nights cleaning up my profile page following @Lex DeVille 's advice, converted 12 of my past client work into pdf and uploaded them onto my portfolio with cover images done in Canva.

Only sent 5 proposals so far. Most of my time was spent cherry picking on potential winners rather than writing the cover letter.

Almost 80% of the listings were asking for really low rates (like $10-$15 for a 1000 word article) it's insane to think how little money people from other countries can work for.

I don't really have a guideline for choosing who to pitch, other than the asking rate and the number of applicants (anything above 10 is a no-go for me).

Since it's the weekend, I won't be expecting any response at least till Monday. In the meantime, I'll keep on sending 4-5 targeted proposals every day until my connects are used up.

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
Great.

I followed the guide. Nice photo, single skill (Full-stack NodeJS/React developer), me focused. I checked grammar and spelling. I wonder whether the title was a bit too long? Or maybe I messed up with the profile description, as it was a bit longer than your example. Everything was still related to the main skill, but maybe I should have kept it shorter. I'm not sure, they just send the same template email and there is no way to figure out.

I'll try again next week.

I received the same email today as well. My profile was focused on sales copy and my sales experience. Maybe that was my mistake as I niched down too hard and the sales copy openings are negligeable compared to regular article writing gigs? I can think of a dozen different possibilities as to why I was rejected but the email tells you nothing specific and so its hard to fix.
Oh well. I will study the copywriting market and switch things around on my profile to make me look more hireable then reapply in a couple of days. I would have reapplied right away to be honest, but let's not appear spammy like Lex warned.
Good luck to you all.

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
After sending 22 proposals, I've received 2 responses and 0 contracts so far.

Either I'm doing something really wrong in my approach, or clients are really stingy on their rates for writers.

Feels a little demoralizing, as it wasn't this tough to land jobs a year ago.

Anyways I've signed up for Plus to get another 70 more connects to give it a few more shots.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
After sending 22 proposals, I've received 2 responses and 0 contracts so far.

Either I'm doing something really wrong in my approach, or clients are really stingy on their rates for writers.

Feels a little demoralizing, as it wasn't this tough to land jobs a year ago.

Anyways I've signed up for Plus to get another 70 more connects to give it a few more shots.

It's not some victimized generalization about clients that's stopping you from getting responses.

It's your approach guaranteed.

If you want the rates you want, then you need to get clients on a live call.

But to do that you must get responses.

And the only way to get a response is to figure out what's stopping clients from responding.

Your rates might be why they don't respond, but it has nothing to do with clients being stingy.

It has everything to do with clients not believing your value is worth whatever rates you're applying with.

It's a perceived value problem.

In order to get responses you need to figure out what is causing your value to be perceived low relative to your rates.

Once you solve that problem you will get responses.

Then you can move to a call, prove your value further, and ask for the rates you want.

NovaAria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 18, 2018
Second try to get my profile accepted as a copywriter and I am now greeted with this: We’ve reviewed your profile and currently our marketplace doesn’t have opportunities for your area of expertise.
At least now I know what's wrong and I have a general idea of how to fix it.
I imagine that Upwork views me as a complete newbie among the sea of third world copywriters. I will try to add a lot more portfolio pieces and see if there are any tests I can fill that are somehow relevant to the field. Might even try to pick a crappy gig at one of the other sites (like fiverr) just to get an extra something to put in the work experience tab. I imagine that a link to someone else's website for an article I wrote might add value to my profile.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
My re-submission has been rejected too. I tried this time with a different skill (Android development), as I actually have some portfolio pieces and made my profile get 100% complete (apparently...).

Thank you for your interest in joining Upwork. We have reviewed your application to join, and regret to inform you that we are unable to accept your Upwork freelancer registration at this time.
Please do not consider this a reflection of your abilities [...same message as the original one...]

I wonder whether I should have tried to set Expert level instead of Intermediate, but there's no way to know the reason of the rejection.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Wow, this is a great great thread as always, thanks for doing this Lex!

I've had an Upwork account for a long time; recently logged in and saw it was inactive or something and got it active again, did some verification and stuff like that, sent out some proposals kinda aimlessly pretty sure that I was doing many things "incorrectly", so this thread came at a great time.

Interestingly I actually managed to close a $800 one-time, $300 recurring client so I think it's a pretty good start.

My plan is to find clients on Upwork and then build a relationship and move them offline for recurring and repeat work.

Read the part where you said the big money clients are going to have to be closed face-to-face or on video calls etc; big bummer as I don't WANT to be doing calls etc so I probably just have to accept that

1.Why are you doing this?
I do lots of projects that do or do not end up making money in the end so my cashflow is super unstable. Now that I'm at a phase where I'm older and need more stability, I think freelancing/an agency would be able to provide that so here I am.

2.Describe your endgame
A profitable, fledgling agency/freelance business that hopefully doesn't take up too much of my time so I can keep doing what I do best and like most: starting up new projects and building systems.

3.How much money is needed
$10k per month for a start, hopefully get to $10k/month recurring within a couple months.

4.Who are you failing if you don't succeed?
Myself; all of my past success, while bringing in pretty decent $$, has been short-lived. I'm not at a stage of my life where I can afford to yolo and take it easy anymore.

I need to up my game and actually put in the focus and make this business a success FAST, if I want to carry on starting up new projects which is what truly makes me super excited.

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
What are you doing for your client?

Wow, this is a great great thread as always, thanks for doing this Lex!

I've had an Upwork account for a long time; recently logged in and saw it was inactive or something and got it active again, did some verification and stuff like that, sent out some proposals kinda aimlessly pretty sure that I was doing many things "incorrectly", so this thread came at a great time.

Interestingly I actually managed to close a $800 one-time, $300 recurring client so I think it's a pretty good start.

My plan is to find clients on Upwork and then build a relationship and move them offline for recurring and repeat work.

baguvix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Sep 9, 2018
Great thread as always, Thanks Lex.
Lets go to the work.

1. Why are you doing this?
I am doing this because right now I don't have a stable cashflow and I need money for other projects (shopify store, fb ads, influencers). Of course I want to travel and have income so my parents don't need to pay everything for me / later I can move out and rent.

2. Describe your endgame in specific detail...
This one is not clear for me which I know isn't good because you need to have a clear vision to get there. But alternatives are: real estate investing, launching a product(fitness releated), selling buying cars..

I really need to think about it.. This one hits me. I am surprised that I have never thought about this question and It's so important(but in general I always wanted freedom of buying stuff in shop without thinking about price or just go and travel earth and main not working in the job.)

3. How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
For the beginning I would be satisfied with 2-3k/month.. Bigger goal is: 10k/month.. that money would be a big amount for me, but for sure not endgoal/endgame.

4. Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?
Only myself, I don't care what other people think about my losses.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
What are you doing for your client?

Facebook advertising for an eCommerce store.

I received an invite for the job despite the project owner saying my hourly rates are actually the highest.

Ended up doing a fixed + percentage rate for the client; being in the same country probably helped a little as well, though he wasn't specifically looking for someone in the same country.

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
I'm just wondering how do you usually go about pitching for ads management through Upwork?

I mean I see a ton of facebook ad "gurus" on upwork throwing their fantastic ROAS numbers and charts around.

Do clients on Upwork actually buy that?

Also, by percentage rate, you mean percentage on ad spend, not percentage rate on performance right?

Facebook advertising for an eCommerce store.

I received an invite for the job despite the project owner saying my hourly rates are actually the highest.

Ended up doing a fixed + percentage rate for the client; being in the same country probably helped a little as well, though he wasn't specifically looking for someone in the same country.

Last edited:

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
This is an update since my last post on jobs pitching.

Landed 3 clients: A week after I sent out my 20+ proposals, I have received 5 responses as of today.

Out of the 5 responses, 3 clients have already offered me a contract, all with the possibility for long term work.

Ironically, there were a couple of clients who moved on to a phone call, but they were hesitant to close the deal. Those contracts I won were purely through Upwork's text chat.

While the fees are only about $50 per submission, that's $150 per week depending on the workload. Not FU money, but it helps to keep me busy and it brings enough money for me to live with.

Overall I would say Mr @Lex DeVille 's method has been an influence on my Upwork success rate.

Although I'm not sure how much my revamped profile has helped, almost every client did mention explicitly that they enjoyed my proposal.

What's next for me: Apart from fulfilling my duties with my exisiting Upwork clients, I am considering moving away from writing gigs and moving to PPC services instead.

Since I'm already doing PPC for a handful of local clients, it's only natural for me to start tapping into the ocean of potential clients on Upwork.

That means I'm going to be overhauling my profile once again to target PPC clients, and start my way from the bottom, perhaps by offering white-label services to agencies so I can quickly build up a PPC-relevant job history.

I'm also thinking of recording any of my future voice call sessions with my client, so I can review them and see how I could have improved my closing methods.

If anyone has a recommended software that is affordable (and can work with Zoom), I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for reading guys, and thanks again Lex for this amazing guide.

bilguun

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 9, 2018
mongolia
If you get rejected...

Don't immediately try again. Wait a few days. Give it some time. You don't want to appear to be a spammer. So give it one or two days, and then try again with a new profile, a new skill, a new overview etc.

HOMEWORK
Your homework today is to create your Upwork account following the guidance in this post. Create your account and submit it for approval. Then report back and let us know how it went or if you have any trouble. Do this now!
As I've promised here to do my homework I'm going to explain. So the email sent from Upwork is unable to accept at this time because we can only accept a small percentage of who want to join. The causes of I have no past experience I would create a personal portfolio website for myself and create an experience.

Upworks reference as messaged me :

If you feel that the profile you submitted does not accurately represent your skills and experience, you are free to update and resubmit your application.

I'll go for several days then apply back.

Last edited:

Davide Corizzo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 8, 2019
Mexico City
Hey Fastlaners! I've just started my DAY ZERO in Upwork and I will put the Lex's teaching into practice. Trying this doesn't cost anything and even if I fail, I will learn a lot of things about this freelance platform. Now it's time to respond to the four questions.

1. I've lived abroad for over 4 years and I can rely just on myself in case of an emergency. So my main goal for getting more freelance jobs in the short-term is to complete my emergency fund. At the time I have got 3 months of my minimum living and my intention is to reach 6 months. After this, I will .get more peaceful night's sleep and go to the next step.

2. In the long-term, the money earned on Upwork will be used for bootstrapping my web design business, hiring people and setting up a company in Panama for getting a resident visa in this country and move there if things will get worse in Mexico (where I'm living now).

3. For the emergency fund, I need an additional amount of USD 1,200-1,500. For setting up a company in Panama I need USD 5,000 but I also consider the travel expenses (flight, hotel, house rental, etc.). In total, I'm going to need USD 15,000 for achieving my goals without obstacles.

4. Just me because they are my personal goals. So if I fail, I don't want to blame myself. The most important thing for me is not to give up even in case of difficulties. In my experience, I know that sometimes you need time to get what you want. So if I easily give up and don't put all my efforts trying the Upwork freelance way, I will disappoint myself.

I hope my ideas and goals look clear. If I need to add something else, please reply to me.

HartFranklyn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 7, 2019

Upwork is one of the fastest ways to get your feet wet with online business. You probably won't get rich on Upwork (though it's not impossible), and that isn't the purpose of this guide. This multi-post guide is an Upwork Tutorial for those who:

• Need to get moving on something...ANYTHING
  • Need a way to bootstrap cash...FOR FREE

It doesn't matter where you're from or what your situation is. If you have semi-stable internet and a computer to work from, then you can make money on Upwork at no cost to you but your time.

In the posts that follow I will share a series of Upwork Tutorials to get you started even if you don't know what the f*ck you're doing, and even if you don't have any skills or experience right now. This step-by-step guide will give you a clear path from $0 to your first $1,000 or more on Upwork.

If you follow my posts and do as I say, you will make money...

Possibly this week.

However, you should know that your success here requires a difficult mindset shift. You will have to change how you do things. Employees do NOT make good freelancers. So here are some things you should know right now:

• You can take your 20 year work history and light it on fire
  • Tuck your college degrees away on some shelf
  • Tear that entitled victim attitude to shreds because...

Freelance clients don't give a shit about your education and experience unless it backs up your ability to get the job done. Also, nobody owes you anything. In the freelance world, you rise to your own level based on how much you help people, and on how clearly you demonstrate that you can help people.

Also... I'm developing a corresponding tutorial for my YouTube channel, and as such will be posting videos related to each post topic. You can watch them or not. You do not have to watch them to get the information because I will also post it in text here.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Each day I will walk you through one piece of the Upwork puzzle. Step-by-step I will guide you to get approved on Upwork, get started, and make money. At the end of each post you will find a homework assignment.

Do the homework each day.

I would encourage you to share your progress and results either here, on my channel, or both since it will encourage engagement that will send traffic to the Fastlane Forum (each video links to the forum), and to my channel which is valuable for M.J. and for myself and also promotes future comprehensive tutorials such as this one, which is valuable for you.

SET OFF AT SUNRISE TO GET THERE BY DARK

There's only one way this thread won't become another action-faking, analysis paralysis knowledge feast for you. To make anything useful happen, you will have to take MASSIVE action and get started. You will have to stop telling yourself every silly excuse. Stop being afraid. Don't let phantoms of fantasy futures destroy your dreams.

Action is the only way.

So start today. Right now. Make a commitment. Commit to do this. Commit to act and to get started. You will start this today. You will take your first step now. And that first step is to determine WHY you are doing this. What do you want to come of this? To do that, your first homework is physically to answer all of the following questions:

It's important to know WHY you are doing this. You can't be vague about it. "I want to be a highly paid freelancer who creates value" is not a good response for your "why."

You are doing this because you need to pay bills or debt. Because you want to quit your shitty job. Because you need money for your ecommerce business. Because you want to travel and earn money from anywhere. Because you want to support your family. Because you want to earn full-time pay with part-time work from home.

You are trying to escape something (bad job, bad boss, debt, poverty, feeling like a loser). You desire some kind of change (travel, money, freedom, skills, to get started). You are selfish and you want things in life and THAT IS OKAY.

But you need to define those things. The things you want. The things you don't want. Because it is those things that will help remind you why you set off down this path in the first place, especially when there's nothing but miles and miles of bumpy road ahead.

That is your homework today.

Do the homework. Post your response. In the next post I will teach you how to give yourself the best possible chance to get approved on Upwork. As of 2019, getting approved on Upwork is probably the single biggest barrier to entry for new freelancers.

Lucky for you, you're not a freelancer. You're an entrepreneur, and you have me as your guide. So follow this Upwork Tutorial and commit to continue even when the long road makes you weary. If you do, you may discover the distance between sunrise and sunset isn't so far apart as it seems.

By the way...

This is the only mindset post.

Get your mind right now. In the days that follow, we've got work to do.
Q1. Why are you doing this?
A. Because I want to escape the sailor life. I want to work when I want to and because I want to make money so I can go and visit a girl in another country and maybe even live with her making money with my laptop or bring her here. I haven't even met her. Yeah. I know I'm crazy.
Q2. Describe your endgame in specific detail...
A. I enjoy writing. I'm keeping a journal. I can write stories for those people. Also video editing is something I need for my website, so I can edit their videos. I also can do voice over.
Q3. How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
A. I want $1000/month, but $500 would be enough in the beginning, to be able to stay there for a few days.
Q4. Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?
A. That girl. Or me. I don't know. But I will miss the chance to be with her and I will hate myself.

Davide Corizzo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 8, 2019
Mexico City
Day 1: How to Get Approved on Upwork 2019

The best way to get approved on Upwork is to make it happen on your first try. That isn't to say all hope is lost if you don't get it on your first try. Only that your first try is the best chance you've got. After that your chances drop.

Today's guide is based on it being your first try. The idea is to give you the best possible chance to get approved. Do NOT try to get approved before reading this post or watching the video.

To get approved on Upwork you have to give them what they want.

Here's all the stuff NOT to do:

• Do NOT list more than one skill in your title
  • Do NOT pick unrelated skill tags
  • Do NOT use a YOU Focused bio
  • Do NOT leave your education and work history blank
  • Do NOT leave any area blank
  • Do NOT price yourself outside of Upwork's suggested ranges
  • Do NOT submit your profile before you spell check it
Those are the main things that I've seen get people rejected.

Now let's talk about what you SHOULD do.

• Add a clear, smiling, front-facing head shot image
  • Pick ONE skill and build your profile around that skill
  • Pick a NICHE of that skill to show you're a professional
  • Write your bio to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your education to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your employment history to support your abilities with that skill

Basically you want to build your entire profile around a single niche skill. It doesn't matter what industry it is in. It could be copywriting, web design, article writing, customer service, whatever.

Your title should reflect that one skill.

Bad Title: Copywriting, blog writer, ebook writer, social media expert

Good Title: Conversion Copywriter

Your overview should back up your ability to do that skill.

Bad Bio:

Hi there! You need a conversion copywriter who can help you get results. You need someone with fast turnaround and quik response. You want to get better goals and get to the next level and that's what I can help you do.

Good Bio:

Hi there!

I'm a conversion copywriter with a B.A. in Psychology and four years experience. I've worked with companies like Eggland's Best, and Circuit City. As a copywriter I've helped clients grow their profits from the thousands into the millions.

I've trained as a copywriter in several courses and online workshops, and I work with clients who need direct-response copywriting that gets results. My goal is to help clients improve conversions by working closely together with them and creating value.

If any of that is what you need, message me!

Kind Regards,
Lex DeVille

OVERVIEW TEMPLATE:

Hi there!

I’m a [what are you] with a [degree or diploma] and [years of experience]. I’ve worked with [who can you name?]. As a [skill you do] I’ve helped [who you have helped] [how you have helped them].

I have [special training you have] and I work with [who you help]. My goal is to help [describe how you will help clients on Upwork].

If any of that is what you need, contact me!

Kind Regards,
[Your Name]

---

Your bio should be ME Focused. DO talk about your skills and education. Do talk about past clients you've worked with and how you've helped. You want to show Upwork that you are a credible freelancer who can get the job done right.

Be sure to spell check your overview. Check it for grammar as well. Spelling mistakes are a quick way to get rejected.

Don't talk about what you want. Don't use a YOU Focused overview either because that isn't what Upwork wants from you. They want you to look like a traditional employee and a hard worker.

---

Education and Work History

Add something to each of these sections, even if it's a high school diploma or even a GED. Add something to your work history even if you worked at McDonalds. First write it in the title, then give yourself a relevant title.

For education, write a description that supports your ability to do the skill you choose. For example:

B.A. Psychology
As a student of Psychology I have learned to craft conversion-optimized copy infused with psychological techniques and tactics. This helps me move people to action and get them to make decisions fast which helps my clients earn money and get results.

McDonalds Customer Communications Specialist
Working at McDonalds taught me the power of clarity in human communications. Over the last four years I've used what I learned while working at McDonalds to transition into the field of conversion copywriting where I applied the same techniques used to sell McGriddles and Apple Turnovers to get my clients results.

---

Rates
The next part is your rates. Set your rates within the guidelines provided by Upwork. They will tell you the range you should be within. For instance, the rates for an Intermediate level freelancer are suggested as between:

$28.00 and $65.50

So pick something within that range. Something like $35.50.

---

Skill Tags
Be sure all of your skill tags support your skill. If I listed "Conversion Copywriter" then I would want to pick 3-5 skill tags such as:

Bad: Copywriter, SEO, Social Media, Customer Service
Good: Copywriter, Conversion Copywriter, Sales Copywriter, Creative Copywriter

---

Other Notes:

Your main goal is to create a WHOLE PERSON concept for Upwork. When Upwork's algorithms or employees see your profile, it should scream I AM A COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL IN THIS SPECIFIC SKILL!

Upwork isn't looking for Jacks-of-all-trades.

They want people who will get in, get work, get 'er done, and get paid. Because people who can't get work and don't get paid are just freeloaders taking up space on their platform. Remember, Upwork needs you to make money so they make money.

So your job is to show them that you are the kind of person who can do one specific skill, and to prove you can do that skill well.

Beyond that, just be honest. Don't try to lie or fake your account. Don't use fake information. Upwork may ask you to verify your identity or other info later on.

If you do shady things, you will likely get rejected. So just be honest, do your best to give them what they want, and if you have questions, reach out.

If you get rejected...

Don't immediately try again. Wait a few days. Give it some time. You don't want to appear to be a spammer. So give it one or two days, and then try again with a new profile, a new skill, a new overview etc.

HOMEWORK
Your homework today is to create your Upwork account following the guidance in this post. Create your account and submit it for approval. Then report back and let us know how it went or if you have any trouble. Do this now!

Hi Lex! I've followed these instructions and just submitted my Upwork application. I keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

The only time I've tried to send my application, it's been a year ago but nobody tutored me about which moves to make like you're doing through your YouTube channel.

One question... When you submitted your application on Upwork, have you always been accepted on the first try?

Let me know. My best regards.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
@Lex DeVille . 1) What are your thoughts on specialized profiles? Can I create multiple specialized profiles and rank for them? I'm interested in this because there are a variety of things I want to do on Upwork including copywriting, SEO and Wordpress websites.

2) What's your success rate? I know you can only answer this from your experience, but it may still be helpful. E.g. If you send out, let's say 40 proposals, how many responses do you get on average? Of those X responses, how many turn into actual hires?

Thanks so much in advance.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@Lex DeVille . 1) What are your thoughts on specialized profiles? Can I create multiple specialized profiles and rank for them? I'm interested in this because there are a variety of things I want to do on Upwork including copywriting, SEO and Wordpress websites.

2) What's your success rate? I know you can only answer this from your experience, but it may still be helpful. E.g. If you send out, let's say 40 proposals, how many responses do you get on average? Of those X responses, how many turn into actual hires?

Thanks so much in advance.

I expect a response from 1 in 3 proposals. I would never send 40 proposals. If I did, it would mean something in my process isn't working and needs to be adjusted.

Every client I get on a call with becomes my client unless there is some kind of mismatch between our personality/ideologies/expectations etc. I only hire clients when I'm confident we're a good match and I want to work with them.

HartFranklyn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 7, 2019
Day 1: How to Get Approved on Upwork 2019

The best way to get approved on Upwork is to make it happen on your first try. That isn't to say all hope is lost if you don't get it on your first try. Only that your first try is the best chance you've got. After that your chances drop.

Today's guide is based on it being your first try. The idea is to give you the best possible chance to get approved. Do NOT try to get approved before reading this post or watching the video.

To get approved on Upwork you have to give them what they want.

Here's all the stuff NOT to do:

• Do NOT list more than one skill in your title
  • Do NOT pick unrelated skill tags
  • Do NOT use a YOU Focused bio
  • Do NOT leave your education and work history blank
  • Do NOT leave any area blank
  • Do NOT price yourself outside of Upwork's suggested ranges
  • Do NOT submit your profile before you spell check it
Those are the main things that I've seen get people rejected.

Now let's talk about what you SHOULD do.

• Add a clear, smiling, front-facing head shot image
  • Pick ONE skill and build your profile around that skill
  • Pick a NICHE of that skill to show you're a professional
  • Write your bio to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your education to support your abilities with that skill
  • Write your employment history to support your abilities with that skill

Basically you want to build your entire profile around a single niche skill. It doesn't matter what industry it is in. It could be copywriting, web design, article writing, customer service, whatever.

Your title should reflect that one skill.

Bad Title: Copywriting, blog writer, ebook writer, social media expert

Good Title: Conversion Copywriter

Your overview should back up your ability to do that skill.

Bad Bio:

Hi there! You need a conversion copywriter who can help you get results. You need someone with fast turnaround and quik response. You want to get better goals and get to the next level and that's what I can help you do.

Good Bio:

Hi there!

I'm a conversion copywriter with a B.A. in Psychology and four years experience. I've worked with companies like Eggland's Best, and Circuit City. As a copywriter I've helped clients grow their profits from the thousands into the millions.

I've trained as a copywriter in several courses and online workshops, and I work with clients who need direct-response copywriting that gets results. My goal is to help clients improve conversions by working closely together with them and creating value.

If any of that is what you need, message me!

Kind Regards,
Lex DeVille

OVERVIEW TEMPLATE:

Hi there!

I’m a [what are you] with a [degree or diploma] and [years of experience]. I’ve worked with [who can you name?]. As a [skill you do] I’ve helped [who you have helped] [how you have helped them].

I have [special training you have] and I work with [who you help]. My goal is to help [describe how you will help clients on Upwork].

If any of that is what you need, contact me!

Kind Regards,
[Your Name]

---

Your bio should be ME Focused. DO talk about your skills and education. Do talk about past clients you've worked with and how you've helped. You want to show Upwork that you are a credible freelancer who can get the job done right.

Be sure to spell check your overview. Check it for grammar as well. Spelling mistakes are a quick way to get rejected.

Don't talk about what you want. Don't use a YOU Focused overview either because that isn't what Upwork wants from you. They want you to look like a traditional employee and a hard worker.

---

Education and Work History

Add something to each of these sections, even if it's a high school diploma or even a GED. Add something to your work history even if you worked at McDonalds. First write it in the title, then give yourself a relevant title.

For education, write a description that supports your ability to do the skill you choose. For example:

B.A. Psychology
As a student of Psychology I have learned to craft conversion-optimized copy infused with psychological techniques and tactics. This helps me move people to action and get them to make decisions fast which helps my clients earn money and get results.

McDonalds Customer Communications Specialist
Working at McDonalds taught me the power of clarity in human communications. Over the last four years I've used what I learned while working at McDonalds to transition into the field of conversion copywriting where I applied the same techniques used to sell McGriddles and Apple Turnovers to get my clients results.

---

Rates
The next part is your rates. Set your rates within the guidelines provided by Upwork. They will tell you the range you should be within. For instance, the rates for an Intermediate level freelancer are suggested as between:

$28.00 and $65.50

So pick something within that range. Something like $35.50.

---

Skill Tags
Be sure all of your skill tags support your skill. If I listed "Conversion Copywriter" then I would want to pick 3-5 skill tags such as:

Bad: Copywriter, SEO, Social Media, Customer Service
Good: Copywriter, Conversion Copywriter, Sales Copywriter, Creative Copywriter

---

Other Notes:

Your main goal is to create a WHOLE PERSON concept for Upwork. When Upwork's algorithms or employees see your profile, it should scream I AM A COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL IN THIS SPECIFIC SKILL!

Upwork isn't looking for Jacks-of-all-trades.

They want people who will get in, get work, get 'er done, and get paid. Because people who can't get work and don't get paid are just freeloaders taking up space on their platform. Remember, Upwork needs you to make money so they make money.

So your job is to show them that you are the kind of person who can do one specific skill, and to prove you can do that skill well.

Beyond that, just be honest. Don't try to lie or fake your account. Don't use fake information. Upwork may ask you to verify your identity or other info later on.

If you do shady things, you will likely get rejected. So just be honest, do your best to give them what they want, and if you have questions, reach out.

If you get rejected...

HOMEWORK
Hey Lex,
I want to apply as a video editor. But I have an engineer's degree in navigation and maritime transport. And I didn't work in any company of video editing. My only experience is editing 3 videos in Adobe Premiere Pro, as a hobby. Do I have to fake EVERYTHING to have a chance?
Also, I'm from Romania. Diplomas are written in romanian. They can't read romanian. I would have to translate it into English. Should I appear as if I'm from another country like the USA or UK to have better chances? Or Australia, New Zeeland?

Please answer...

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey Lex,
I want to apply as a video editor. But I have an engineer's degree in navigation and maritime transport. And I didn't work in any company of video editing. My only experience is editing 3 videos in Adobe Premiere Pro, as a hobby. Do I have to fake EVERYTHING to have a chance?
Also, I'm from Romania. Diplomas are written in romanian. They can't read romanian. I would have to translate it into English. Should I appear as if I'm from another country like the USA or UK to have better chances? Or Australia, New Zeeland?

Please answer...

If you try to fake things or cheat the system it will only get you banned permanently. I've already explained what to do in the earlier threads in this post. You need to show how whatever experience and education you have supports you doing the job you want to do.

I didn't write this thread just so people can get on Upwork and make money. Half of what I've taught here is about learning to help people and creating value. Until you do that you won't make any money on Upwork even if you get approved.

Go back to the start. Re-read the posts. Re-answer the homework questions. Get better. Be more clear. Think about how you can really help people. Start finding ways to help people. Stop searching for workarounds. They won't serve you as a freelancer. They will destroy you just as they do with everyone who tries that approach.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Had something of a win on Upwork a few days ago and wanted to share it on this thread in case it can benefit anyone else who has struggled. The point is that things can change quickly. I still have a long way to go. But a win is a win. Massive thanks to Lex for this and his other threads.

A week ago today (Saturday) I applied to an Upwork email writing job. Guy needed a single email, priced at $200. I did a you focused proposal. Said I was building my portfolio and would do it for $25.

Monday morning guy gets back to me. Still want to do this?

Me: Sure.

Guy: Ok. Do it for free. If I like it, you can do more for me.

Me: Nah, man. I think you're probably a scammer.

Guy: Ok. Do it for $15.

Me: (Sigh.) Ok.

2 days later:

Guy: Hey, that was pretty good. I need two more emails.

Me: No problem. $100.

Guy: No. $70.

Me: (Sigh.) Fine.

2 days later:

Guy: Hey, I need help with this email series.

Me: No problem. $1,200.

Guy: $600.

Me: $1,000 is best I can do.

Guy: (Sigh.) Fine.

Davide Corizzo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 8, 2019
Mexico City
Unfortunately, my Upwork application was rejected yesterday afternoon (I submitted Friday night).

I will surely investigate what went wrong when filling out my personal information (work experience, education, and skills) and why Upwork didn't accept me (I will try to understand better how they choose freelancers on their platform). I will search for more information on this forum topic and online.

My suspicion is that I haven't picked the right skills when checking the job posts about my niche (Web Design & WordPress) in Upwork feed. I will take my time to resubmit during the next days and write again. Any change will be recorded so I can understand what it works or not in the case I will be accepted.

I will keep you updated. Regards

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
If you try to fake things or cheat the system it will only get you banned permanently. I've already explained what to do in the earlier threads in this post.
Speaking of the system, I'm not sure why is the Upwork platform having some glitches presently.

I've got one client whose payment got delayed, even when she did the milestone settings and all, plus another client couldn't download files I sent him, even though there was nothing wrong with them. For the latter, I had to move business to a google drive so he could get my work.

When I sent a notice to Upwork support, I spotted a pop-up window on the support page that said a few freelancers were having delays in their Connects replenishments.

Weird...thought they had most of the bugs sorted out already?
I'm just gonna be cautious about stuff, and inform my current clients to be ready to go other channels, in case Upwork doesn't come in to fix things soon enough.

And have the paid Connects scheme kicked in already? Haven't got a note from Upwork on that.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018

Upwork is one of the fastest ways to get your feet wet with online business. You probably won't get rich on Upwork (though it's not impossible), and that isn't the purpose of this guide. This multi-post guide is an Upwork Tutorial for those who:

• Need to get moving on something...ANYTHING
  • Need a way to bootstrap cash...FOR FREE

It doesn't matter where you're from or what your situation is. If you have semi-stable internet and a computer to work from, then you can make money on Upwork at no cost to you but your time.

In the posts that follow I will share a series of Upwork Tutorials to get you started even if you don't know what the f*ck you're doing, and even if you don't have any skills or experience right now. This step-by-step guide will give you a clear path from $0 to your first $1,000 or more on Upwork.

If you follow my posts and do as I say, you will make money...

Possibly this week.

However, you should know that your success here requires a difficult mindset shift. You will have to change how you do things. Employees do NOT make good freelancers. So here are some things you should know right now:

• You can take your 20 year work history and light it on fire
  • Tuck your college degrees away on some shelf
  • Tear that entitled victim attitude to shreds because...

Freelance clients don't give a shit about your education and experience unless it backs up your ability to get the job done. Also, nobody owes you anything. In the freelance world, you rise to your own level based on how much you help people, and on how clearly you demonstrate that you can help people.

Also... I'm developing a corresponding tutorial for my YouTube channel, and as such will be posting videos related to each post topic. You can watch them or not. You do not have to watch them to get the information because I will also post it in text here.

Consider this DAY ZERO.

Each day I will walk you through one piece of the Upwork puzzle. Step-by-step I will guide you to get approved on Upwork, get started, and make money. At the end of each post you will find a homework assignment.

Do the homework each day.

I would encourage you to share your progress and results either here, on my channel, or both since it will encourage engagement that will send traffic to the Fastlane Forum (each video links to the forum), and to my channel which is valuable for M.J. and for myself and also promotes future comprehensive tutorials such as this one, which is valuable for you.

SET OFF AT SUNRISE TO GET THERE BY DARK

There's only one way this thread won't become another action-faking, analysis paralysis knowledge feast for you. To make anything useful happen, you will have to take MASSIVE action and get started. You will have to stop telling yourself every silly excuse. Stop being afraid. Don't let phantoms of fantasy futures destroy your dreams.

Action is the only way.

So start today. Right now. Make a commitment. Commit to do this. Commit to act and to get started. You will start this today. You will take your first step now. And that first step is to determine WHY you are doing this. What do you want to come of this? To do that, your first homework is physically to answer all of the following questions:

It's important to know WHY you are doing this. You can't be vague about it. "I want to be a highly paid freelancer who creates value" is not a good response for your "why."

You are doing this because you need to pay bills or debt. Because you want to quit your shitty job. Because you need money for your ecommerce business. Because you want to travel and earn money from anywhere. Because you want to support your family. Because you want to earn full-time pay with part-time work from home.

You are trying to escape something (bad job, bad boss, debt, poverty, feeling like a loser). You desire some kind of change (travel, money, freedom, skills, to get started). You are selfish and you want things in life and THAT IS OKAY.

But you need to define those things. The things you want. The things you don't want. Because it is those things that will help remind you why you set off down this path in the first place, especially when there's nothing but miles and miles of bumpy road ahead.

That is your homework today.

Do the homework. Post your response. In the next post I will teach you how to give yourself the best possible chance to get approved on Upwork. As of 2019, getting approved on Upwork is probably the single biggest barrier to entry for new freelancers.

Lucky for you, you're not a freelancer. You're an entrepreneur, and you have me as your guide. So follow this Upwork Tutorial and commit to continue even when the long road makes you weary. If you do, you may discover the distance between sunrise and sunset isn't so far apart as it seems.

By the way...

This is the only mindset post.

Get your mind right now. In the days that follow, we've got work to do.

Alright, I'm committing. Thanks man.
  • Why are you doing this?
I want freedom over my life. I'm 19 and I grew up in a family that is stuck in the SCRIPTED perspective. I don't want to live that life. I want control and power over my circumstances. I want time to be on my side. I want to have fun and enjoy myself. I want to bring positive change to people and to humanity. I want to grow to my full potential and I know how difficult that is going to be. Entrepreneurship is the way to to do that, and I need to start somewhere. I haven't done shit so far. I've just been reading books since I was 16 when I discovered this forum and TMF . It's time for action. Since you're such a big member of this forum, I will give this a shot.
  • Describe your endgame in specific detail...
My endgame in life? Sure I'll give it a shot. I want to be remembered as one of the greatest people of all time. I want a real legacy behind my name, one where I helped many people. But I also want to feel as though I lived life to my full capacity. It's also important to understand that this is just an ideal I'm aiming for, and it's okay to aim for an ideal. However, I don't want to allow this ideal to stress me out in the process. I'm going to live in the present and give it my best shot. Furthermore, I want a life where I'm surrounded by great individuals who want the best for me, and who I want the best for. I'm also chasing truth. I want to understand the world as best as I can. Health is another big thing for me. Nothing is possible without health. I also want control on my side.
  • How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
Money is somewhat important. I work a part-time job, soon to be full-time. If I can good money doing this, I can spend more time with Fastlane ventures. I want experience as well. I don't know much about freelancing. I've heard it's kind of like the bridge between having a job and being a true Fastlane entrepreneur. I think it's important that I start with something, why not this.
  • Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?
Myself.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Alright, I'm committing. Thanks man.
  • Why are you doing this?
I want freedom over my life. I'm 19 and I grew up in a family that is stuck in the SCRIPTED perspective. I don't want to live that life. I want control and power over my circumstances. I want time to be on my side. I want to have fun and enjoy myself. I want to bring positive change to people and to humanity. I want to grow to my full potential and I know how difficult that is going to be. Entrepreneurship is the way to to do that, and I need to start somewhere. I haven't done shit so far. I've just been reading books since I was 16 when I discovered this forum and TMF . It's time for action. Since you're such a big member of this forum, I will give this a shot.
  • Describe your endgame in specific detail...
My endgame in life? Sure I'll give it a shot. I want to be remembered as one of the greatest people of all time. I want a real legacy behind my name, one where I helped many people. But I also want to feel as though I lived life to my full capacity. It's also important to understand that this is just an ideal I'm aiming for, and it's okay to aim for an ideal. However, I don't want to allow this ideal to stress me out in the process. I'm going to live in the present and give it my best shot. Furthermore, I want a life where I'm surrounded by great individuals who want the best for me, and who I want the best for. I'm also chasing truth. I want to understand the world as best as I can. Health is another big thing for me. Nothing is possible without health. I also want control on my side.
  • How much money do you need to earn to make this worth it?
Money is somewhat important. I work a part-time job, soon to be full-time. If I can good money doing this, I can spend more time with Fastlane ventures. I want experience as well. I don't know much about freelancing. I've heard it's kind of like the bridge between having a job and being a true Fastlane entrepreneur. I think it's important that I start with something, why not this.
  • Who are you failing if you give up or don't succeed?
Myself.
Hey I'm sorry. Just watched the first couple videos and seems like I got the wrong idea about what this thread was going to be. Unfortunately I don't think I can freelance at Upwork because I don't have any freelancing skills. I thought this video series was going to be teaching some of those skills so that I could use them when freelancing. Anyways, my bad.

Davide Corizzo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 8, 2019
Mexico City
Hi there!

I've just resubmitted my profile application and I will wait for Upwork response (12-24 hours).

If I will be successful, I will be glad to share the changes I've made to my profile between the 1st and 2nd round.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Whew I just added a specialized profile for content writing, mostly thanks to my last job on Upwork.

Now I need to rewrite my general profile a bit, and give a small touchup to my translation one, as there are some parts I'm not fully satisfied with.

Speaking of which, I'm unsure what to put as a title in my General Profile, any idea? I do both Translation and Content Writing, but the resulting title would be too long, unless I use something along the lines of "Italian translator and content writer".

Davide Corizzo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 8, 2019
Mexico City
Hi there!

I've just resubmitted my profile application and I will wait for Upwork response (12-24 hours).

If I will be successful, I will be glad to share the changes I've made to my profile between the 1st and 2nd round.

Unfortunately, there's nothing to do. Upwork rejected my application again and at the moment I can't see any advantage after spending so much time on my profile.

On the second trial, I change my profile picture, my title, overview (including keywords related to skills) and tweaked some skills (I've been looking to current job offers in order to match them). Finally, I also included 4 portfolio pieces which are case studies of my previous work and took some skill tests related to my field.

I will take a break with Upwork and reflect on this. Maybe I could try to submit my application to other freelance platforms. The only thing I have in mind now is to learn a demanded skill (every 3 months Upwork releases a list of them) and add it on my profile.

I will keep you updated. Cheers!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Seems that Upwork has began charging for Connects. 16 cents per pop.

But repeat clients don't need any Connects, so its good that repeat business isn't penalised.

Also, I got this email from Upwork:

Good point from Upwork that skill field develop too quickly for skills tests to update quickly.

Some of the skills tests were embarrassingly no better than middle-school comprehension tests lol.

Wonder what benchmark or filters that Upwork will use now to have freelancers stand out, to replace skills tests.

Maybe more power to portfolios, as typically should be?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.