The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Game of Thrones Season 8 Thread (SPOILERS)

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Honestly, if he died falling from the window in season 1, NOTHING about the entire story would have changed. That's the definition of a bad character.

Bran revealed that Jon was actually Aegon Targaryen. All what happened from chapter 3 was highly influenced by that. Had Bran died, there would be no Aegon Targaryen and (maybe) no Mad Queen. Not saying that Bran is a great character, just that he had a key role finding out the true heir of the throne and that influenced how things went later.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Bran revealed that Jon was actually Aegon Targaryen

To be fair though, Bran wasn't strictly needed. This could have easily been written to show Samwell discovering this himself through books, which kind of happened anyway.

All what happened from chapter 3 was highly influenced by that.

Was it, though?

His lineage didn't end up actually mattering in any way that made a meaningful difference.

- The north wasn't going to bend the knee, regardless. Sansa also hated Dany before this knowledge was known.
- The armies weren't going to follow him even with a "better claim to the throne" as they were loyal fanatics to Dany.
- It kind of pissed off Dany, but not like she really 'did' anything about it that mattered. You could argue it helped unhinge her which lead to torching the city but IMHO you can also argue either she already had enough motivation to do that, or it was uncharacteristic under any circumstance, neither of which really directly leads back to Jon's claim.
- Varys died for it (whose death, once again, didn't matter as he'd been irrelevant for a while now). And honestly, he seemed like he wasn't going to support her regardless of Jon's involvement. It merely gave him an excuse to try and push things one way vs another. But as an irrelevant character - who cares?
- Tyrion was "out" the moment she torched the city, Jon or not.
- Jon's claim to the throne was thrown out the window when the war ended anyway.

It's pretty hard to argue that Jon's claim was any kind of meaningful plot point. If anything it just adds another layer of inconsistency to the already jumbled plot of this season.

Now, if they had made the SMARTER choice to end the series with a Jon vs Dany claim war. Well shit - that would have be a finale to get excited about. Lovers who can never be together, forced to fight against their heart's desire? Shit, it's even poetic.

Instead we get a "space case" King who made a single piece of irrelevant knowledge known and that knowledge was largely ignored except in a few "I don't want it" scenes which were largely annoying anyway.

Anyway, I don't mean to rant. I just hate seeing really great shows end so poorly and disappointingly. It was just about the last show on television I was watching anyway and I'm glad it's finally come to an end, even if I disagree with it's ending.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It was just about the last show on television I was watching anyway

Metaphorically in terms we might be able to understand...

I feel like I've sat through a great 7 day seminar where for 7 days straight we get great information, but are also periodically upsold an extra seminar day for $50,000. The first 7 days were great, so why not? So I buy the 8th day for $50,000.

The 8th day sucked, the host/presenter was different, was nothing like the first 7, almost the opposite, to the point afterward, I feel like I was just scammed. The classic bait and switch. I now I'm questioning the validity of the information I received in the first 7 days.

When it's all said and done, I conclude I wasted my precious time, and my money.

The next time something reaches a mainstream frenzy and I'm compelled to "look into it for research and insight" I need to take my own advice and stay away.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The next time something reaches a mainstream frenzy and I'm compelled to "look into it for research and insight" I need to take my own advice and stay away.

I wouldn't say it reached a mainstream frenzy (yet?), but I think that you might enjoy Westworld. It's also by HBO, it's also a very adult show, but IMO it's much more intellectual than Game of Thrones.

Perhaps it will avoid its fate as it explores very complex topics an average Joe doesn't talk about or doesn't understand at all (morality, sentience, human consciousness, artificial intelligence, etc.). This acts as a potential impediment to turn it into an insipid Hollywood-esque show.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.