The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if you already know enough?

Zach123

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Feb 11, 2019
As Bruce Lee said "Boards don't hit back."

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ok ok, I get it now, this is kinda what everybody else was saying but it didn’t click in my head till you said that. Hitting boards is nothing like getting the experience of actually fighting someone. Reading about business is nothing like actually starting a business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
The most obvious danger of consuming too much is that it turns you into a consumer.

A lot of that “free” (and paid) content out there is designed to turn you into someone else’s consumer. (And it’s not free btw... not unless you put zero value on the time it took to consume that “free” content.)

You probably knew this right?

But here’s something I’ve noticed from PMs with a couple of thousand forum members:

Many of you don’t think you know enough to get started.

Many of you are constantly looking for something else to consume so you can finally become a producer.

I think the more insidious, hidden, danger of consuming is that it makes you think you don’t already know enough to start.

I always imagine a young lad knocking on the door with a lawnmower in tow.

“Hey mister. Do you need your grass cut?”

“Not today thanks.”

“No thanks. Maybe another time.”

“Oh wow. I was just thinking of finding someone to cut my grass. Yes please.”

(I live in a very polite little world.)

You know what that lad didn’t do?

He didn’t think:

“I better get a logo.”

“I better get a website.”

“I don’t know enough about cold calling.”

“I better go to the library and get a heap of books out on how to start a business.”

Here in this forum we’d call all of the above “action faking.”

Many of us know to give ourselves a stern talking to when we catch ourselves action faking.

But did you know the super dangerous rabbit-hole awaiting you if you set foot in the library?

“Oh boy. I didn’t realise I needed to know about marketing as well as just starting a business.”

“Uh-oh... I didn’t even know I needed to create avatars of my ideal customers before I go knocking on doors. What if I go round the wrong estate?”

“USP?! Whoa. I’m glad I came into the library today. I didn’t even know that I didn’t know about USPs.”

“Scaling? Growth? What’s that mean? Should I even try to start a grass cutting business?”

“OMG... look at all this stuff I didn’t know I needed to learn before I even step out of the house and speak to people this fine Saturday afternoon.”

I’m working with a career salesman at the moment. I’m hoping to onboard him so he can help me get more local service business clients.

He kept telling me of all the courses he’s been on and all the books he’s read.

That’s ok. I won’t hold that against him. He’s been a salesman over the course of 20 years, and been on the road most of that time.

“Dude. Don’t set “appointments”. Just meet for a chat over a coffee.”

“Dude. Don’t bring that hardback A4 book. Here, I got you a small black Moleskine.”

The best bit from one of our chats this week?

“Andy. This is great. I’m really enjoying just chatting to people. I love this word “chat”. I’m having to deprogramme myself from all that corporate bullshit I used to have to go through.”

Bingo!

Many of you are straight out of school or college.

You’ve been taught to consume and read your way out of problems.

You’ve been programmed whenever a new challenge comes up to instantly go searching for a book or course.

This is how deep the script has it’s claws in you. And the further you got into the education system the deeper those claws.

I get it. I was a good student. I got my degree. I worked a cubicle for nearly 2 decades. I took the courses. I Googled for “books on XYZ”. I took “evening classes on ABC”. I even decided I “needed” an MSc to get ahead.

I learned slowly that the lad with the lawnmower (who may very well have dropped out of school btw) was street-smart where I was book-smart.

And that he was streets ahead of me.

Then one day someone asked me a very simple question:

“Andy. What if you already know enough?”

Oh.

We all want to join team producer right? The best way is to produce more, not consume more.

PS: This was all *produced* on my phone on a coach to the airport. It’s waaay easier than trying to do so on my phone on Facebook. Just saying.

PPS: I could have consumed a podcast for the hour, or I could have produced a post in that hour. I chose to gain clarity by producing, to help others by producing, and to not clutter up my head with yet more “knowledge”. I chose to clear my head not fill it.

Awesome insight on this dude. I find my self going down a similar rabbit hole too often

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Awesome insight on this dude. I find my self going down a similar rabbit hole too often
Yeah, they’re rabbit holes with trap doors on top. You often don’t see them till you’re already descending.

Thanks for the rep.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
So then what if you’re just 19 and don’t know literally anything about business besides what I’ve read in mj’s books, it seems dumb to just start without knowing anything, or am I just subconsciously using that as an excuse? I have no idea where to start, I’d figure I’d read a bunch of books and study business/entrepreneurship/economics/finance but you guys are basically saying that’s worthless? This is confusing the hell out of me
It's really not about how many books you read but why you are reading them. That goes for blogs, posts, etc. Example - at some point you'll want to start your own company. While doing that is much easier these days you need to understand how and what structure to use. That requires some research = reading. It's also easy to think you've come up with a great idea to solve a need. But again, I recommend some research. Some people find a great concept, like MJ's limo aggregator, which focuses their research to solving specific challenges as they arise. Some of us are still in the hunt for a need to attack, which can lead to more general research in books, online forums, etc. The key is to focus your research on solving your most pressing challenge at that time.

Sprocket

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 7, 2018
UK
Thank you so much for writing this. I was completely unaware that I had fallen into that spiral. I’ve been reading and learning (unconsciously consuming) more and more because I felt I wasn’t enough.

I’ve been thinking about your post for two days. It’s changed my thinking completely and utterly. Thank you!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you so much for writing this. I was completely unaware that I had fallen into that spiral. I’ve been reading and learning (unconsciously consuming) more and more because I felt I wasn’t enough.

I’ve been thinking about your post for two days. It’s changed my thinking completely and utterly. Thank you!
Look in the mirror and say: “I am enough. Because I say I am.”

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
So then what if you’re just 19 and don’t know literally anything about business besides what I’ve read in mj’s books, it seems dumb to just start without knowing anything, or am I just subconsciously using that as an excuse? I have no idea where to start, I’d figure I’d read a bunch of books and study business/entrepreneurship/economics/finance but you guys are basically saying that’s worthless? This is confusing the hell out of me
Think of what you hear from even highly successful people, "Ive read hundred of books, I don't watch TV I read books, etc. etc. etc."

Reading and learning is ESSENTIAL. But there is a time when you have an idea to pursue you just have to do it and learn as you hit barriers vs. Learn everything about every possible barrier before its even a barrier.

Don't let this confuse you. You got this man. You are young and you never have more time than you have now. Invest in learning no doubt about it and take action on your dreams and you will learn (probably more) by getting started and doing as well.

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
Look in the mirror and say: “I am enough. Because I say I am.”
Yeah man Im with this Andy.

If Identity is not in alignment with what you are trying to do your mind will trick you to mentally masturbate some more. I really think that's why some people have to work on removing limited beliefs. Others are just rock stars and lucky I suppose.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Reading and learning is ESSENTIAL.
I don't think reading is essential. I'm sure there's plenty of successful business owners who can't read, or who have never listened to a podcast or audio book.

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
I don't think reading is essential. I'm sure there's plenty of successful business owners who can't read, or who have never listened to a podcast or audio book.
I appreciate you continuing the chatter. My view is bigger than just business. For personal development as a human reading is essential.

But you make a point that I think can be valid.

Lee H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Aug 8, 2018
@Andy Black this is a brilliant discussion. Thanks!

It's interesting to come across it now. I've been listening to an audiobook called "How I Made My First Million" and the thing that is clear from almost all of the 16 millionaire entrepreneurs that contributed is they just got started. No over analysis, no VC investment and very little in the way of business plans. They just started helping people get what they wanted, and scaled it.

You and they have taught me loads!

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
How I have missed these posts @Andy Black (due to my own absence)

Just be aware that time spent consuming is time not spent producing.

This is something that I can get lost in myself, so a wonderful and great reminder.

Thank you for writing out all of this!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Another line to think about:

“You can’t invoice for input.” (Blaise Brosnan)

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
I did a video somewhere of the kids doing some painting. They just got a brush, water, paper, and started painting.

They didn’t worry what it would turn out like or if anyone would judge or laugh. They didn’t think they’d better do a painting course before they darkened the page.

They did it for the joy of doing it.

@Andy Black, your story reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."
--Pablo Picasso

George Costanza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Feb 18, 2019
Israel
The most obvious danger of consuming too much is that it turns you into a consumer.

A lot of that “free” (and paid) content out there is designed to turn you into someone else’s consumer. (And it’s not free btw... not unless you put zero value on the time it took to consume that “free” content.)

We all want to join team producer right? The best way is to produce more, not consume more.

This might be what I needed to hear right at the right time, thank you for this thread

Cvince

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
May 2, 2019
Toronto
I think it's a common problem where people over research and under deliver. I believe it ties into a quest for a shortcut on how to make money. When in reality people just need to get started.

The over researching leads to self-doubt which leads to procrastination which leads to the business failing/never launching.

Now, there's an over abundance of action fakers online these days. But in a few months time they tend to disappear, or move onto their "next big idea." At the end of the day, it all comes down to fixing your habits.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think it's a common problem where people over research and under deliver. I believe it ties into a quest for a shortcut on how to make money. When in reality people just need to get started.

The over researching leads to self-doubt which leads to procrastination which leads to the business failing/never launching.

Now, there's an over abundance of action fakers online these days. But in a few months time they tend to disappear, or move onto their "next big idea." At the end of the day, it all comes down to fixing your habits.
I think it’s less to do with chasing money and more to do with not knowing where to start, and (more importantly) that school and society have trained us to seek a book or course if we want to learn (instead of the “launch and learn” mindset a business owner needs).

Cvince

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
May 2, 2019
Toronto
I think it’s less to do with chasing money and more to do with not knowing where to start, and (more importantly) that school and society have trained us to seek a book or course if we want to learn (instead of the “launch and learn” mindset a business owner needs).

I have always been against the way our school system teaches. I believe it creates more of an employee mindset.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Lee H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Aug 8, 2018
It's refreshing that many are starting to wake up to this fact. I think school is for people who want to be become certain professions, ie; doctors, lawyers, etc.

I agree, schools are there to create good employees and consumers. The problem is that the system is broken. Today's teachers are good employees and consumers. It's all they really know because teaching is a profession.

Very few teachers these days have ever been outside of the system.

It's a vicious circle.

We as parents, friends and mentors need to take responsibility and educate our young about how to escape the system.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Apr 12, 2012
I agree, schools are there to create good employees and consumers. The problem is that the system is broken. Today's teachers are good employees and consumers. It's all they really know because teaching is a profession.

Very few teachers these days have ever been outside of the system.

It's a vicious circle.

We as parents, friends and mentors need to take responsibility and educate our young about how to escape the system.
There is a positive thing about that, imo.

It leaves you with less competition if you are willing to break out of the system.

janpsx3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Apr 10, 2019
I agree that the school system may corrupt aspiring entrepreneurs. I remember when I was a rebel in High School, I convinced this lady to let me perform with my rock band at her daughter's sweet 16 party. The problem was that I had no members for my band, no instruments, had not practiced any songs, and I had one month to prepare until the party. I had still not developed the analytical mind I earned in college, so my mind did not register the difficulties for this project. But I think because I did not doubt myself and had no analysis paralysis, I was able to conquer that feat and get all those things done.

After college, I graduated with a diploma, analysis paralysis, the addiction to endless learning, and a masters in action faking. This has severely slowed down my entrepreneurship journey. And even though I was reading and listening to a lot of audio books, no progress was visible. Having removed my Plan B's, I was desperate for a change. So I made a commitment today to not read or listen to another audio book until I ACTUALLY need it. Luckily, today I saw this post and it furthered confirmed my actions.

I thank everyone that posted in this thread. I have learned a lot from you! I hope soon I will be able to contribute valuable insights to this forum as well!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
617%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Listening too much will make you say things that have already been said, and do things that have already been done, and become a hollow shell, reverberating an average tone of someone else’s sound. Consuming is the opposite of producing, and being in the stands is an awful way to become a star up on stage.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
Listening too much will make you say things that have already been said, and do things that have already been done, and become a hollow shell, reverberating an average tone of someone else’s sound. Consuming is the opposite of producing, and being in the stands is an awful way to become a star up on stage.

copywriters admit that they steal ideas from other copywriters. this is well known. nothing new under the sky. you can't start from scratch, from the big bang 15 billions years ago.

Eben Pagan calls it " standing on the shoulders of giant "

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
I've been trying really hard to just execute lately. It's amazing how little I have been executing and how much time I've been wasting. Research is one of my guilty pleasures. It feels productive but it's just mental masturbation.

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
I spoke with Andy about a week ago. He asked me to post here. This thread came to me at a good time.

I realized that I was action faking when I wanted to continue learning more and more about business (cursed my academic background). This thread helped me see that I do not need to continue learning, but simply help someone. Use resources as needed when you need help to overcome problems that arise from helping somebody else. There is no point to a business if it is not solving a real problem. There is no point for me to learn more about business (e.g. marketing strategies, finding needs, whatever) when I am in business to solve problems and get paid to do so.

What have I done so far? In the past few months, just read nothing but business books. They were great for knowledge, but knowledge without application is mental masturbation. However, with this thread, it clicked that I needed to apply my knowledge. What has happened in the past week?

Business:

Currently in the process of finding businesses interested in getting chiropractic care for their employees. I am the business manager for this business. Our marketing processes: 1) Providing charity care and helping advance non-profit organizations and 2) crafting and tailoring personalized scripts from a perspective of "We genuinely want to help care for employees and help them be more productive so your company gets more productive to help it succeed" for cold calls/emails to prospective businesses via Linkedin and networking organization sites.

We plan to go to businesses in person and simply ask them if they can help us learn more about them and their employees, just a chat to get to know one another. Similarly, we are looking up events and see if we can do a mini health-fair of sorts. Regardless, our intention is to HELP people. That is our #1 priority. Money is secondary. Cashflow might be the lifeline of a business, but without customers, then there is no cash-flow!

None of this was happening about a week ago until this thread kicked my gluteus maximus into gear. Nothing will surely happen if I did nothing. However, at least now, with four channels to reach prospective clients and build ourselves into expert in this particular niche, the probability of us landing the elusive first business client is more than 0%. That's all we need. Plenty of people have expressed interest, but our target audience is businesses. Let's see what happens.

Side-hustle:

I am also a nurse who is working a "seasonal" work where I work if I am needed to work. Income is non-existent as the business is getting started. Oh well, I already know enough. I am a business person first and foremost. I find opportunities among problems.

I looked up job posts and found several positions screaming "I NEED A NURSE HELP". I sent in a resume tailor to needs, had a person reach out to me on the same day, and approached the interview from the angle "I want to help. That is all I want to do. Help." Guess what? I got myself a good paying side-gig where I only need to work 30 hours or less monthly to make way more than someone working a minimum wage job for 40 hours a week four weeks of the month.

This all happened in a week. Perfection was my enemy. I wanted to have the knowledge, but without the experience to apply it and actually get results. If you gain nothing else from this forum, this thread, this post, then let it be this: Just ask yourself, "How can I help [target audience]?" How can I help the local stores make more money? How can I help the crying child on the street? How can I help this self-employed owner find more clients? How can I make life better for people working as massage therapists, construction workers, dentists, doctors, etc.?

JUST HELP!

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
I keep coming back to this thread. It helped push me towards one major avenue of action last month; and yet another yesterday.

The way I see it, book readers and resource resource consumers are motivated, they know what they want, but they want to perfect it, the first time. They also want it easy, so they get stuck building the foundation before the castle (I know I did).
They want to work towards their goal but have no room for error. If they do leave error and it doesn't take off, they will have to sit and stew in their corporate cesspit for 5-6 months while their business ramps up. Why do this when you can just read one (or two or three...) Magical books and wind up in a lambo cruising down main street tomorrow?

It's a question of risk acceptance and risk mitigation, unfortunately acceptance is the only truly fastlane path.

I kept cutting my teeth on this dilemma because I let myself get re-hired back into wage slavery and instead of doing something, I spent 3 months reading 50 books, trying to think of good ideas, trying to find a magic pill that could let me loose now.

I haven't given up on the thought of living out of the trunk of my SUV but in the meantime I'm going to keep charging down the path I just opened up for myself, saving capital via slowlane and keeping eyes out for that exit.

Last edited:

Hopeful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 8, 2019
Many of you are straight out of school or college.

You’ve been taught to consume and read your way out of problems.

You’ve been programmed whenever a new challenge comes up to instantly go searching for a book or course.

This is how deep the script has it’s claws in you. And the further you got into the education system the deeper those claws.

Oops. Guilty! Thanks for the reality check.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.