The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I've listened to it.

This is the first audio book I've listened to and it did not disappoint.

Not sure which I like more, TMF or Unscripted , but it's not a competition to be honest. They're both great.

What I love about both books is the advice is blunt and too the point. With so much saturation out there, especially in business books, this book is like gold dust. A needle in a haystack, if you will.

Towards the end of the book there is an abundance of helpful knowledge, like customer service, marketing etc. I really liked chapter 43, build brands not businesses.

@MJ DeMarco - Have you thought maybe about writing a third, short book expanding on those chapters just on business advice like that? They're really helpful and tbh I just want more of it.

mindsetferg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 29, 2019
California
Just finished reading and picked up Unscripted on Kindle. See attached screenshot for proof. Very persuasive and helped me realize many things. Definitely motivated me to aim higher. Very different writing style than other self-help/personal development/rich mindset books. You can tell Demarco is really passionate about his philosophy.

Here are my negative thoughts (and I know critics don't amount to much): I can't help but feel as if this is another story where someone "got in during the dotcom boom" and got successful and would probably struggle today to find a good idea today. Because if they could repeat their original dot com success, wouldn't they keep reiterating? I know it isn't just about money, and at a certain point you are "comfortable and happy."

Just about every internet marketer and dot com success story did very well up until around 2005 when things started going down. And today they share the "secrets of internet marketing" eapecially over the past few years since the methods don't usually work anymore due to violation of the CENTS "Entry" principle. My interpretation of this is because while they are not able to leverage their old methods, they are able to share the wisdom of how they made their money during a boom. And people eat it up.

I know MJ addresses many of the points and I probably fall under Tekel syndrome trying out the next thing when one doesn't work right away which means I have read too many stories of "how they made it" when I think a lot of them rode a wave. And if you are smart, you should be able to apply the lessons (regardless) on the next wave: social media? YouTube? Content generation? But it seems the dot com wave just happens to have more similar stories.

I also to have a deep distaste for anything network marketing/MLM. I like Demarcos approach to it, but can't help but wonder if he's just trying to use reverse psychology or something. But I guess if you want to know about the non-MLM/Network Marketing success stories, you shouldn't read books that talk about "millionaires" or "getting rich" as it seems to be their target phrase. Moreso it may be more beneficial to read the programming, philosophy, or engineering books of the successful people who are not internet marketers and don't want to write books about their success (because there is probably a higher chance they are not involved with MLM/Network Marketing).

Also Demarco claims books only make up about 10% of his overall revenue. Sure, but if you consider the 80/20 rule, could it be that his books are actually contributing to 40% or more of his success, as opposed to continuing to exponentially grow his internet businesses? For example, how many people have read the book without purchasing (borrowing/library) and used some of his other products? How much money has been saved on "sales/marketing" because the book itself does an incredible job of closing deals? Again, these interpretations are going off what you can learn from Demarco's businesses as presented in the book.

Again there are so many great qualities of the story as well. It did its job incredibly well and has helped mold my philosophy. I love the simplified Acronyms, and I am definitely going to remember the CENTS concept.

Anyway, that is me being critical and maybe disillusioned by trying too many of this outdated internet money making methods (and not at the best level either), and I have plenty of my own faults.

Overall I gave it 5 stars on Kindle because there is something special about the writing and storytelling style that is persuasive to help people recognize the illusion we live in and what to do about it. This is a great modern day book on how to perceive money and approach to entrepreneurship. And I picked up Unscripted - very much looking forward to reading it.

Attachments

• 20190519_084216.jpg
    20190519_084216.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Mr.Smith

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 21, 2019
Germany
After reading the TMFL, everything was different and now I can't go back! There is only one way to go, I will travel the Fastlane! Greetings from Germany, now I am starting to read Unscripted .

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
I just finished the book. Very eye-opening. And true when I think about it. To summarize it to people I pretty much tell them that the sidewalk is for money-wasters who want to be rich, including those with high incomes; the slow lane is money savers; and the fast lane is a business owner who will retire within 5 years.

Over the past few years I've been buying rental properties. I have 8 which should cashflow around $300 each, but due to all the tenant problems and city taxes, etc., I barely break even.

This book made me realize that the smartphone app I thought of 5 years ago still doesn't exist (on a mass scale, if at all) and that it isn't my idea that's worth a $million, it's the implementation. At this point I bought 3 app books. I'm going to read them first and go from there. I might learn to code myself.

JackiO

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
May 13, 2019
Arizona
Just finished reading it. Perfect activity for being on bed rest! MJ really broke down the concepts to clear and easily digestible pieces. Not gonna wait any longer to get to implementing.

Thank you for writing this book!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For example, if you buy an audio system that costs $4,000 and you make $10 per hour, what’s the real price? What is the weight of the poop? That price is 400 hours of your free time, since you must work 400 hours X $10 per hour to repay the debt. Add 10% interest and your final cost stacks up to 440 hours of your free time added to your weight burden.

Yup, debt = Theft of free time.

Love the books and can not recommend them more highly.

Thank you!

Hands down the best book on finance/entrepreneurship I have ever read

Yes, nice to hear it!

I loved them both and have recommended them to my 3 sons (2 have read TMF and 1 has started UNSCRIPTED ) and to an number of friends and clients.

Thank you for the recommendations!

MJ and bought extra versions of it for my closest friends

Thank you for the recommendations!

What stuck with me most was an idea that I hadn't been able to put into words until I read the book. Yes, entrepreneurship is risky, but the "safe" option (what the book calls the "Slowlane") is risky too! I was laid off during the financial crisis, and watched as that crisis and the Bernie Madoff scandal wiped out the fortunes of so many people who did the right things and played by all the rules. I've never been able to shake that feeling that the safe option isn't so safe.

So true, life has risk. I much rather take pockets of risk, than a risk that encompasses decades.

MJ this book is really a masterpiece, I bought the book 3 years ago or so and read it. The knowledge didn't really stick or resonate, now every word does.

Thanks!

I’ve read so many books on entrepreneurship and this by far is number one. Production is almost never discussed neither is going in business with the intent to serving others with valuable products and services. This came at the perfect time for me in my life. Thank you for creating such a powerful resource for a solid kick in the rear end.

You're welcome. Production > consumption yields consumption without debt.

Listened to the audio book during my last 2 week vacation in April and thought it was the best book on Entrepreneurship but I was wrong. UNSCRIPTED is even better!

Thanks, I like to think so!

I've read both, multiple times, while in some of the lowliest and most vile hell holes of the New Jersey state prison system.

Wow, was it in the prison library? Or you bought it?

Not sure which I like more, TMF or Unscripted , but it's not a competition to be honest. They're both great.

Thanks!

For example, how many people have read the book without purchasing (borrowing/library) and used some of his other products?

What other products? Outside of an INSIDERS subscription for people who want to view the forum ad-free, I have NO OTHER products. I write for a living now. If I wanted to make money, the last thing I would do would be spending (wasting) my time at a forum 7 days a week. There's much better money not writing and not running a forum. But this is my passion project.

I can't help but feel as if this is another story where someone "got in during the dotcom boom"

Wuh? I sold my company (the 2nd time) in late 2007, 8 years after "the dot com boom" -- really tired of the narrative that I somehow got lucky in the late 90's when that sale did very little for me in terms of wealth (by the time it was all said and done).

@MJ DeMarco - Have you thought maybe about writing a third, short book expanding on those chapters just on business advice like that? They're really helpful and tbh I just want more of it.

The next book in the Unscripted series will be short digestible pieces of advice. A common theme I hear from readers is "everytime I read it I get something new" -- that book will help.

Neophyte

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 9, 2019
I just finished the book and started reading Unscripted . Awesome books!

Told 2 of my friends that followed the guy with 2 dads about the book and started reading TMF , and can't put it down!

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
The next book in the Unscripted series will be short digestible pieces of advice. A common theme I hear from readers is "everytime I read it I get something new" -- that book will help.

I read Unscripted before TMF . I should give it another read now that my mind is more attuned.

Thanks again for the books, MJ. You is a good person.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knuffix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 25, 2014
Bit late maybe, but already read the book 2x in the last 3 years. Going for a third time soon! Great book, MJ! Just got Unscripted aswell on the Kindle!

mindsetferg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 29, 2019
California
Hi MJ,

It is definitely great what you've accomplished as you describe in your stories, and I mentioned my "critical" comments with respect of what you seem to have done. As someone who tries not to believe everything he reads or hears, I say "seem" because the only thing I can "witness" is the incredibly valuable forum you've created, and your stories in your books. But for the most part I take your word for the things you've mentioned (in terms of wealth, mission, desire to help share your story in a way to help people become successful, etc...).

@mindsetferg For example, how many people have read the book without purchasing (borrowing/library) and used some of his other products?

What other products? Outside of an INSIDERS subscription for people who want to view the forum ad-free, I have NO OTHER products. I write for a living now. If I wanted to make money, the last thing I would do would be spending (wasting) my time at a forum 7 days a week. There's much better money not writing and not running a forum. But this is my passion project.

I was specifically addressing your Q&A where you wrote "Most of my net worth (over 90%) comes from activities not related to authorship (Kindle, Loc 7972)."

Even if 90% of your wealth did come from activities from the forums, my statement was regarding how much the book CONTRIBUTES to the success of your other activities.

To use an analogy:

You mentioned the razor business models of selling low margin products initially, but then high margin "replacement razor heads" parts. But in order to ever have those "razor head" sales, you need to sell the razor itself. Although most of the profit comes from the razor sales (your website), the initial low margin "razor" (your book) contributes to the overall sales.

So although "authorship activities" does not seem to contribute a high amount directly to your overall net worth, I wondered how much it contributes indirectly. (hypothetical questions ahead) Are people who purchase and read your book more likely to pay for activities that grow your forum? How many people find free versions (libraries, borrowing, bootlegging, etc...) of your book (thus take away from your authorship revenue) and end up buying memberships?

Again, this is more about understanding the indirect causes of how your authorship success (totally grateful you wrote them!) contributes to your overall net worth with reference to that Q&A section. And my personal "hypothesis" is that your books have contributed, at least indirectly, to greater than 90% to your overall net worth.

Also:

@mindsetferg I can't help but feel as if this is another story where someone "got in during the dotcom boom"
Wuh? I sold my company (the 2nd time) in late 2007, 8 years after "the dot com boom" -- really tired of the narrative that I somehow got lucky in the late 90's when that sale did very little for me in terms of wealth (by the time it was all said and done).

Right on, I know you addressed this concept of getting tired of people calling you lucky. I didn't mean it that way, although I would say all success has some element of luck to it as well. I'm sure most people reading your forum know about Warren Buffett's story about luck and how he was born in a time and place where he didn't need to get chased by lions (because he wouldn't survive). Or the ideas in "Outliers" which I don't agree with about being born at a certain time, and having the right skills at the right time (although there may be a some truth to it).

I felt your story had some common ties with many of those who made their money through the internet, who now share their stories to help others.

But take for example the "Internet Money" programs on Nightingale Conant. Take into consideration the people who are building courses around "making money online, and internet secrets" who often base their "secrets" on major concepts developed up through the dot-com boom, and finally shared between '05-'10 (when I believe the methods started slowing down, because why else would people share their "secrets?"). Even Tony Robbins Money Masters program interviews mostly successful people who made most of their money "in that era." And I believe Robbins has all positive intentions to help people.

I think the methods and tactics just don't work the same today. For every one "SEO discoverable" article published before 2005, there are 1,000,000 (arbitrary number) videos, articles, photos, and websites, if not more published today. I totally understand you are focused on a single business now, and it is your passion.

So yes, the boom was around 2000, and many people either flopped or pivoted and flourished. But the ideas that continued to flourish seemed to carry through to 2005-2010 when you see most of the "internet secrets" concepts published including "money making websites" "writing what sells" "newsletter email lists" etc... And I assume most of the ones who are still financially free from the "internet boom" prior to 2005, and who did not completely flop, have either "pivoted" or are living comfortably on their hard earned money.

Ultimately, I am not saying you were "only lucky", although I disagree with believing that a little bit of luck is somehow a bad thing (but I get how internet critics can become annoying). There was smarts and hard work that went into it. But again, the story about building a limousine "website," that struggled through the 2000's (and fortunately you pivoted and came out a winner), seems to have a lot in common with other sources.

But ultimately, this is just my interpretation of historical events (not first hand), with a heavy case of "Tekel Syndrome." I'm sure it would be more worthwhile to ask you questions, instead of sharing my potentially wrong historical interpretation. Just wanted to share all of this for the purpose of letting you know I'm not coming "at you" as a critic, but more of a "cautious skeptic," because there is a lot of information around to think twice about.

I know you make a huge effort to be different than "internet marketing gurus," (because I have spent a lot of resources learning about a lot of them) and I definitely believe you are adding MUCH MORE VALUE than most. I can see that your forum is one of the top resources for entrepreneurs from what I've searched - better than most of the rehashed articles/listicles on Entrepreneur, Inc, Success Magazine, Techcrunch, combined. And this contributes to innovation on a massive scale (when applied appropriately by the people viewing your forum).

Lex Love

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
May 21, 2019
I have read the book. Currently engrossed in UNSCRIPTED .

The more I read these books the more I find myself subject to an unexpected sensation: conviction, leading to repentance.

Forgive the religious-sounding phraseology but that is the closest way I can articulate my feelings. I recognize my "sins" in how I have thought about wealth and freedom and want to "repent" from them. Not what I was expecting when I opened up a book about entrepreneurialism. And not an easy task to accomplish as an author.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Romsy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 26, 2019
Croatia
I've read the book more than two years ago but didn't have a time to apply any of the principles (excuse, I know)...what I like is that author is very straight forward in explaining on how the things work today and on how we should think in order to step out from the crowd regardless of the current level.
I'll have to repeat some chapters, no doubt, and start my journey.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.