The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Running around in circles

DHZ

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 2, 2017
USA
I've been having a lot of trouble with executions of any ideas I have. As the title says, I've been running around in circles. Basically I get an idea, research the heck out of it(Dropshipping,FBA,SMMA), and find myself back at square one with another idea whether its because I get sidetracked, another idea seems better, I hit some form of an obstacle, etc. Something always seems to throw me off to the point I don't execute and end up remaining stagnant and I've come to the point where I don't know what works. I'm wondering if any of you have had this issue and how you've overcome it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It could be shiny object syndrome, fear of failure, perceived lack of information, low self confidence, fear of missing out, a combination of all of the above etc..

The thing is you need to sit down, look logically at all the business models available to you, and find a business that aligns with the way you ultimately want to live your life (don't expend time, energy and resources building a business that moves you further away from your ultimate life goals). Once that is done then forget everything else.

Bear in mind that new opportunities will aways pop up and will be made to appear sexier and more interesting than what you have chosen to do. It doesn't mean they are better but the marketing is designed to make you feel that way to draw you in.

From your list (Dropshipping, FBA, SMMA) it seems you are following the crowd. Being influenced by what the the 'gurus' are currently peddling via YouTube and Facebook etc.. Remember, where there is a crowd the people who are really making the money are selling the shovels. Don't get caught up in their game.

Don't look at what they are teaching, look at what they are doing and why. For example if you are making a killing selling on Amazon via FBA why would you want to teach thousands of others to do the same thing and create even more competition for yourself? You wouldn't. The reason they are selling courses on Amazon/FBA is because the market is saturated and they can't make a decent living doing it any longer. They have exhausted the seam of gold in that mine so now they are selling shovels to anyone they can convince to part with their hard earned cash.

So look beyond the hype and make a decision without being influenced by the marketeers. Pick a road less travelled. Then stop looking at all the shiny objects designed to distract you from your one goal. Spend your time building. Learning everything you need to know about your chosen path as you go along (as you are building).

Stop spending unnecessary time on social media and youtube. I ditched my main FB account to avoid distractions. I have a new FB account solely for business purposes (for marketing and also because a lot of groups within my niche use Facebook groups for communication).

So in essence pick one thing and commit. Follow it to its ultimate conclusion and ignore all outside distractions. Give that one thing all your attention and make it a success.

Adelaide

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
When I've had this issue, it's come down to too much thinking and too much time on my hands.
I've found the less time I have, the more action I take.

Keep making decisions and moving forward. It's the only way.
Otherwise you'll become stagnant. Ultimately, action (not thinking) is what will achieve results.

I say this knowing full well this is hard. This is actually the 'hard stuff' of business.
Getting shit done isn't the hard bit (because when you're in the zone, you know WHAT, WHY and HOW).
But the thinking / planning / unknowns... if we're not careful we can LIVE there forever.

So try to limit your time/money/resources and see how it serves you.
(For me, I set a deadline, budget or some other parameter to kick me into gear. If I have too many variables.. I can go crazy thinking about options instead of executing!)

ACTION - this is what sets achievers apart. Because they keep making decisions and moving forward.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Really great advice above, so one little bit I would add is don't research the heck out of it before taking actions.

Research on the high-level like should do this and that, issues here and there, someone solved it - great.
Dig deeper for short-term goals, that's usually 1-4 months. Go full detail for the next week or two.

And once you're executing don't change a weekly plan unless you have a really BIG reason to do it. Think of yourself like an employee who has some tasks and should do it to get paid later.

Everything that has some competition works. Top few % of performers are making money everywhere, even in overcrowded markets.

"The obstacle is the way" - it keeps other people from doing that (Entry from CENTS).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DHZ

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 2, 2017
USA
Thank you all, I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond. It always helps to hear things from another perspective.
I say this knowing full well this is hard. This is actually the 'hard stuff' of business.
Getting shit done isn't the hard bit (because when you're in the zone, you know WHAT, WHY and HOW).
But the thinking / planning / unknowns... if we're not careful we can LIVE there forever.
I've been living in that loop for four years since the time I was 17. I never actually sat down and set deadlines or a game plan for myself, maybe it will help me for a change.

Bear in mind that new opportunities will aways pop up and will be made to appear sexier and more interesting than what you have chosen to do. It doesn't mean they are better but the marketing is designed to make you feel that way to draw you in.
This part stood out to me as I've always been weary of gurus but never thought of it this way in the sense I've been suckered in by effective marketing tactics, I guess it's easier to be drawn in by hype and shiny objects than I thought.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
So in essence pick one thing and commit. Follow it to its ultimate conclusion and ignore all outside distractions. Give that one thing all your attention and make it a success.
Agree. When you pick 1 thing & start taking action on it, you'll find a couple things happen:
  • Your mind becomes focused on that thing, so you get more & better ideas for other actions to take for it.
  • By taking action, you'll learn more & progress faster than doing a bunch of theoretical analysis.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.