The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA

wordwarrior

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 16, 2019
Montreal, Canada
Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life' is 'total crock'

Saw this in the news feed today. Clearly aligned with what we've come to understand through our experiences and MJ's writing.

From what I remember of both of MJ's books, you can "do what you love" but eventually, you won't love it anymore. For example, in UNSCRIPTED , MJ mentioned that he loved driving before becoming a limo driver and ended up hating it.

Besides, "what you love" ends up changing over time, as your creative self craves new challenges. The documentary "The Creative Brain" where they follow a famous singer who changed careers and went into cooking:

The Creative Brain | Home

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
MJ has been hard on me in particular about this one over the years -- and he's been right every time.

When I started businesses based on what I loved, I made really GOOD money, but never GREAT money... and on top of that the burnout is real.

I've wisened up in the last couple of years and while I still do what I love for a "job", I bought a business because the opportunity met the CENTS model (or as I remember it, CENTS :rofl:). The goal is to scale into the 9 figures in the next 3 years.

That's the plan at least -- and everyone has one of those until they're punched in the face:p

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Doing what "you love" is a problem when it doesn't address market needs and dynamics.

Selfishness and scarcity are the nexus that drive markets.

People don't shell out cash because you are doing what you love, they shell out cash when you solve a problem they have.

Now, you can solve a need or a problem and love the process, that's different. When I ship a box out to a customer or when a customer leaves a five star review, I get a "high" that I love.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
From what I remember of both of MJ's books, you can "do what you love" but eventually, you won't love it anymore. For example, in UNSCRIPTED , MJ mentioned that he loved driving before becoming a limo driver and ended up hating it.
Yes, and there's the discussion of how so many others are also doing what they love - like the fitness coach - that nobody can make a living off it, much less get rich. Let's also not forget the monetary vs non-monetary reward feedback.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.